Today I took a stab at creating a prioritized feature list for the 2.0 version of the site. If I missed something or you think I have the ranking wrong let me know.
Note: It is not a goal of ours to provide a tool upload mechanism. Tool downloads will be hosted on another site provided by the owner of the tool.
P1 Features - Can’t live without them
- User Submitted Tools - Ability for registered users to place their tools in the listing. This is support for basic addition of meta-data such as the description, title, and link to download page.
Single Tool View – View all the details and comments from a single tool.
Multiple Tool view – A results list view of tools for easy browsing of multiple tools.
Category Browsing - Ability to browse for tools based on categories.
Basic User Ratings of Tools - When viewing a single tool anyone can provide a 1-5 rating of the tool.
New Additions RSS Feed - RSS Feed of X most recent tool additions.
Tool Deletion – Ability for site moderator or tool owner to delete a tool from the listing.
Tool Attribution - Multiple attributes that help describe the tools that are entered when a tool is submitted. (Is the source code provided? What level of support is provided for the tool? What is the cost? Etc)
P2 Features –Could ship V1 without, but would harm functionality
- User Authentication - To allow tool listings. Anyone can read to the site, but we’ll have authentication to submit new tools and allow for moderators.
- Submission Moderation - Before a tool submission or update is live it must be approved by a moderator.
User Comments on Tools - When viewing a single tool anyone can provide a short text comment about the tool.
Highest Rated View/RSS Feed - View of the highest rated or visited tools.
“My Submitted” Tools list - List of tools you have submitted to the repository.
Recent Updates RSS Feed - RSS Feed of X most recent updates to tools
Tool Owner Provided RSS Feeds - Ability for people who submit tools to list RSS feeds that relate to the specific tool such as a releases feed, a blog focused on the tool, or a news feed for the tool.
Tool Subscription – Subscribe to updates to a specific tool
Broken Link reporting – Send a message to site moderators that a links to specific tools are broken.
P3 Features – Features we should have, but are not vital
- Download Click-Thru Count - How many times has someone used the download link on a specific tool.
Per Tool View Count - How many page views has a particular tool page had.
Text Search - Ability to search on tool keywords, titles, and descriptions.
Ratings for tool posters - Ability to rate the people who submit the tools.
View by Tool Provider Company - Ability to attribute tools based on company of origin. This will allow users to find all the tools provided by one company. It will also allow companies to view all of the tools they have submitted.
Screenshots - Ability to provide the URL for one or more screenshots for your tool.
“My Watch list” - Ability to add tools to a watch list that would be viewable to you when you log into the site. You could also subscribe to an RSS feed for updates to these specific tools.
- Tool Expiration - Ability to have tools hide themselves in the listings after a while with no activity or positive ratings. Force the author to renew the listing if they want to keep it there. (From AT in my comments)
P4 Features – Nice to have
- Send Tool Owner a Message – Send a message to the owner of a tool.
Tool Community Stats - Stats on the site home page that list the number of tools, users, posts, etc.
“My Recently Visited” Tools list - Auto created list of the tool entries you have most recently visited.