Error Installing KB 970892 When Reporting Services Configured with Domain Account


For a little over a month, Windows Update was failing on one of the servers in the “Jameson Datacenter” (a.k.a. my home lab). Specifically, KB 970892 simply would not install on JUBILEE — my Systems Center Operations Manager (SCOM) 2007 VM, that I use to monitor a number of physical and virtual machines.


Here’s the first event I found regarding this error:


Log Name: Application
Source: MsiInstaller
Date: 10/27/2009 3:03:49 AM
Event ID: 10005
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: SYSTEM
Computer: jubilee.corp.technologytoolbox.com
Description:
Product: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services (64-bit) — Error 29528. The setup has encountered an unexpected error while Setting reporting service and share point exclusion path. The error is: Fatal error during installation.

This was quickly followed by another error in the event log:


Log Name: Application
Source: MsiInstaller
Date: 10/27/2009 3:04:55 AM
Event ID: 1023
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: SYSTEM
Computer: jubilee.corp.technologytoolbox.com
Description:
Product: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services (64-bit) – Update ‘GDR 4053 for SQL Server Reporting Services 2005 (64-bit) ENU (KB970892)’ could not be installed. Error code 1603. Additional information is available in the log file C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\RS9_Hotfix_KB970892_sqlrun_rs.msp.log.

Shortly thereafter, I started seeing the following error once every minute:


Log Name: Application
Source: Report Server (MSSQLSERVER)
Date: 10/27/2009 3:06:52 AM
Event ID: 107
Task Category: Management
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: jubilee.corp.technologytoolbox.com
Description:
Report Server (MSSQLSERVER) cannot connect to the report server database.

Since I have Windows Update configured to automatically download and install updates every morning, the patch attempted to install each day — but failed each and every time.


I have to admit that I’ve spent a fair amount of time troubleshooting this error over the past month, but since it wasn’t a blocking issue — just a particularly irritating annoyance — I kept putting it off. [Honestly, I rarely look at the SCOM reports and instead rely mostly on email notifications and the Operations Manager Console.]


Fortunately, I finally managed to determine the root cause tonight and resolve the issue.


After downloading and installing the standalone patch installation, I discovered the following in the installation log:


MSI (s) (F0:54) [21:09:49:565]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSIAC31.tmp, Entrypoint: Do_RSSetSharePointExclusionPath
<Func Name=’LaunchFunction’>
Function=Do_RSSetSharePointExclusionPath
<Func Name=’GetCAContext’>
<EndFunc Name=’GetCAContext’ Return=’T’ GetLastError=’203′>
Doing Action: Do_RSSetSharePointExclusionPath
PerfTime Start: Do_RSSetSharePointExclusionPath : Mon Dec 07 21:09:49 2009
<Func Name=’Do_RSSetSharePointExclusionPath’>
The application pool /s already exists.
Error Code: 0x80077374 (29556)
Windows Error Text: Source File Name: sqlca\sqliisca.cpp
Compiler Timestamp: Mon Nov 17 17:05:40 2008
Function Name: Do_RSSetSharePointExclusionPath
Source Line Number: 914

As noted in KB 917826, there appears to be a known issue when Reporting Services is configured to run using a domain account. For JUBILEE, the ReportServer application pool was configured to run as TECHTOOLBOX\svc-mom-das (the SCOM data access service account). After changing the app pool to run as NetworkService instead, I ran the standalone install of KB 970892 and it completed successfully.


I then changed the app pool identity back to TECHTOOLBOX\svc-mom-das (since that appears to be how SCOM 2007 wants it configured) and verified that a couple of reports run successfully. Woohoo!


I’m crossing my fingers that tomorrow morning, Windows Update detects that KB 970892 is installed and no errors occur.

Comments (2)

  1. James says:

    Thank you Jeremy.

    I had a similar problem. I was getting SQL 2005 alerts on three of my servers in SCOM. Strangely enough I couldn’t run Windows Update and install the SQL 2005 SP3 patch. In my instance, the SQL database (FSSMCDB) was running as a network service. I stopped the service, downloaded and installed the update, then restarted the service.

    Your experience helped me solve my problem.

  2. Clive says:

    That appears to have solved problems installing SQL Server 2005 SP3 on Windows Server 2008 for me. Thanks for posting this!