I discovered a rather nasty UI bug last week with the new portal we are building for a customer. Unfortunately, the layout issue only occurred in the Safari browser. Even worse, I discovered it only a day before the CEO of customer discovered it himself on his Mac! Ouch.
Note that I typically test Web sites using Internet Explorer and Firefox. In fact, that’s what our statement of work contractually obligates for this project (and not IE6, thankfully, but rather IE7 and IE8).
I’ve occasionally tested with Opera and Safari in the past, but in general I’ve found this to be unnecessary because most of these browsers have strong support for modern Web standards.
However, this week I discovered that a page that looks good in Internet Explorer and Firefox doesn’t necessarily look good in Safari.
Since I didn’t have access to my faithful Firebug or Internet Explorer Developer Tools, I was initially stumped on troubleshooting the problem. However, a little bit of searching uncovered the following gem:
Unlike many of the other search results that I looked at, this one doesn’t actually discuss using Firebug in Safari (which I was reluctant to try because, from what I read, all of the CSS rules are read-only when you use Firebug with Safari). Rather, this page shows the similar set of tools that Apple provides with their browser. It also shows how to easily enable the Safari developer tools without hacking a preferences file (which I initially tried locating on my Windows VM using instructions based on a Mac, but I quickly gave up on that effort).
After spending about 45 minutes with the Safari developer tools, I was finally able to track down the
float CSS rule that was causing my Login Form Web Part to be displayed behind the
<h1> heading for the main content of the page in Safari.
A few minutes later and I had my fix checked-in to TFS. Whew!