There are a number of projects that you can create and build in Visual Studio that are not supported by MSBuild. That means you can’t use MSBuild to build them from a command line and you can’t build them if they’re contained in a solution you’re building with Team Build. These project types include:
- SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) Projects
- SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) Projects
- SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS) Projects
- BizTalk Server Projects
- Setup (Visual Deployment) Projects
- SharePoint Server Projects
I previously posted about Jim Morris’ solution for building SSIS packages with Team Build and I’ll be posting more information in the near future on the other project types that aren’t directly compatible with Team Build. If there’s a particular project type that you’re having trouble getting to build with Team Build, please let me know.