Enhanced DataTips have a context menu
Because of the transient nature of DataTips inside Visual Studio 2005, you may not be aware that there useful operations you can perform on selected item within a datatip by opening a context menu on it.
In the above example, the cursor has been hovered to the m_strTitle member of pDoc->m_strTitle and the right mouse button was clicked. This invokes the context menu for the item and your presented with a set of operations you can perform on it.
- Copy - Copies both the name and the value of the item.
- Copy Expression - Copies just the expression portion of the item.
- Copy Value - Copies just the value portion of the item.
- Edit Value - If the item is not read-only you can edit the value. The same can be done by left-clicking the mouse once, or pressing F2.
- Add Watch - Adds the item as a top-level watch item.
- Hexadecimal Display - Toggles the debugger's numeric base for displaying integer values.
- When debugging C# or J# you're presented with another operation -- "Make Object Id". In a future tip, I will discuss that particular feature.
My biggest complaint about this feature? I wish that I had had time to add the "Copy Expression" and "Copy Value" commands to the watch window. 🙂