Microsoft’s Platform as a Service Plans: Putting the Pieces Together talks about Microsoft's PaaS. Not family with that acronym yet? It's all about platform as a service and the cloud computing model.
"What this further refinement to Microsoft’s cloud computing strategy shows is a growing set of business processes that can be added to the more generic systems-level services that have been highlighted as part of the S+S campaign. This makes for a powerful five-prong thrust into cloud computing that I think will become a major contender in the next year or so. The five prongs are:
• Standard Microsoft develop and deploy tools that can target hybrid cloud and on-premise applications, well-known to millions of developers
• The Microsoft system software stack, available in the cloud or on-premise
• Office Business Applications (OBA), that can be deployed on premise or in the cloud, utilizing back-end services that are also available on-premise or in the cloud.
• Emerging Dynamics services, like Ebay and payment processing
• Existing AX and NAV services, now made hostable as well"
I'm not the expert in this space by any means, but it all sounds good to me.
Listening to Constellation by Charlie Parker on Pandora.com.