One of my favorite books of all time is The Pragmatic Programmer. A piece of advice I’ve always taken to heart is to take the time to make tools that will make you more productive.
Today’s tool I can share with you – I didn’t want to flip back and forth between the repro steps in my bug reporting program and the program I was trying to fix.
So I created a TopMost window that will always be there so I can see what the next step is.
- Open Visual Studio 2008 or 2005, create a new Windows Forms application.
- Select the Form in the designer
- Open the Property Grid and find the TopMost property. Set TopMost=true.
- Drag and drop a RichTextBox from the toolbox
- Select “Dock in parent container” from the designer action panel, or go to the property grid and choose Dock=Fill
- F5 to run the application
- Paste in repro steps from the bug!
- (Tip – if the steps are in HTML, you may want to paste into word first, then the rich text box to get better formatting).
Quick and simple repro-step viewer that stays on top of all applications.