As I mentioned last week, a Swedish community site has been set up. It’s already producing results. One user posted about a pretty ugly bug in the Telnet help.
In short, in the Telnet help, under then heading “Telnet server access”, the text says:
3. Double-click the TelnetClients group
The group name TelnetClients must be spelled exactly as shown.
If a local group called TelnetClients exists on a computer running Telnet Server,
users who are not members of that group cannot access the computer by using Telnet.
The problem is that this group name is actually hard-coded, but in some language versions of Windows the name is accidentally translated in the help file:
- Portuguese, Brazilian: Clique duas vezes no grupo ClientesTelnet.
- French: Double-cliquez sur le groupe ClientsTelnet.
- Hungarian: Kattintson duplán a Telnet ügyfelek csoportra.
- Norwegian: Dobbeltklikk gruppen Telnet-klienter.
- Swedish: Dubbelklicka på gruppen för Telnet-klienter.
If you follow the instructions in the help and create a group with a translated name, you won’t be able to give users access to your Telnet server. Instead, make sure to use the English name TelnetClients when creating the group.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights.