Final Schema for RibbonX-based Solutions

This morning, I posted the final customUI XML schema for creating Office 2007 RibbonX-based solutions.

You can use this schema to develop solutions that will work with the upcoming final release of Office 2007; it will also continue to work just fine with Beta 2 Technical Refresh. The changes from the previous version I posted are all minor (and in fact I updated the B2TR link in a previous post to point to the updated RTM schema as well.)

Download the RTM customUI Schema

This updated version will also find its way onto MSDN in the coming weeks, but I wanted you guys to have access to it first.

1. Patrick Schmid says:

Hi Jensen,

thanks for the update! Any chance you can tell us what was changed? I’d like to make sure that everything I have written is still ok, but it’s tedious to go through the XSD and compare it to the previous one.

Thanks,

Patrick

2. Anonymous says:

Unfortunately, any new attribute on the Tab tag to improve ribbon functionality by customization. Now lets hope at least you fix or improve below issue in UI at final version:

1 – When you are, for example, at the right most of the View tab and you want to press a button at right most of the Home tab, you have to go to left most the screen and go back, but with mouse wheel you can browse tabs and maybe you don’t need to move the mouse. Great feature but unfortunately it doesn’t function if the Ribbon is down from minimized state. Why? And better if the mouse wheel over ribbon can down it and continues browsing tabs.

2 – When you are at the right most of the screen and you want to press a button at right most of the Home tab, you have to go to left most the screen to click on Home tab caption and go back. Why does a click any where on the Ribbon down it with Home tab active? Or better with the last used tab active?

3. Windows Vista and Office 2007 are very close to RTM now. How can I tell? I’m reading the signs, man 😉

4. Frustrated Dude says:

Well, I’d love to test RibbonX, but the activation servers are not letting anyone activate Office 2007 Beta releases.  Now I’m in reduced-functionality mode, which is equivalent to a worthless piece of software.

5. Scott says:

Where did the <advanced> tag go for groups on the ribbon?  There are MS documents that refer to it (to get that little icon at the bottom right of your group that opens a dialog), but it isn’t accepted, and isnt in the RTM schema.

So how do we get that little "advanced" icon for our group?

6. A very interesting site, I think. The Idea of Technometry was new for me but worth to be read and thought abot it (although I’m not a native english-speaker and have some difficulties whith this language)

7. Jim Rech says:

Scott-

<advanced> has become <dialogBoxLauncher>

The "RibbonX Updates for B2TR" blog entry has a link to a command line utility that updates customUI files.

8. Stefan KZVB says:

Got a problem to create transparent icons for the Ribbon.

Which (free) tool can be used to do that? Currently I’m creating GIFs with Paint.Net with alpha channel, but when adding them to the Ribbon the areas with alpha channel simply appear black instead of transparent! The icon is 32×32 and itemsize is large and my Office 2007 B2TR color scheme is default (blue). Any suggestions?

9. Mike says:

I’ve tried to contact Robert Sinclair about the seeming lack of concern in Office 2007 for accessibility.  Of the little information Microsoft posts on this, there is no mention of how to customize the UI (since you cannot) to make it more accessible.  Contextual toolbars are mentioned – but that they will not work for people with color-blindness is not.  One place to look for commands would be great – for those people that can see them.  The bottom line is that Office 2007 is not accessible and makes no attempt to allow for accessibility.  Perhaps SP1 will fix this (and QUICKLY), since it appears the RTM product will not.