Taking a Few Days Off

You may have noticed that I haven’t posted for the last week.

I wish I could say that I’ve been on a fabulous vacation, but in reality, I spent two weeks on the road, talking to people about the Office 2007 UI.

That trip, combined with an extremely busy time trying to help finish up Office and getting it ready to ship, means that I’ve had less time to write as of late. So, I decided to take a little break after the flurry of posts around the release of Beta 2 Technical Refresh.

I’ll be back posting regularly in a few days.

In the meantime, if you’re looking for some reading material, check out the new Word team blog. They’ve posted six articles over the last two weeks; hopefully they’ll keep up that pace and write much more about one of Office’s most-used programs.

Many of you have also written to me asking where you can get support for Office 2007 Beta 2 TR. The best place to ask a question or get help with a problem is in the Office Discussion Groups on microsoft.com. There’s a group for just about every program and area in Office, so give it a try if you’re having a problem.

Probably the most common problem I’ve seen reported is a known issue in B2TR: a dialog box on the launch of Word stating that “Building Blocks.dotx” is corrupt, followed by many of the Word galleries being empty.

Fortunately, it’s easy to fix this. Close Word, navigate to the “%appdata%\Microsoft\Document Building Blocks” folder and delete “Building Blocks.dotx.” You can find the solution to this and many other common problems on Patrick Schmid’s blog.

1. macbirdie says:

Have a great time, Jensen!

2. Andre says:

Jensen, is there any reason why in Excel (and probably in all other Office applications too) "View > Arrange All" opens a dialog rather than a popup?

Yes, I’ve noticed the "Windows of active workbook" checkbox, but the popup could just stay open if you check or uncheck this item.

3. Stefan KZVB says:

Hey Jensen,

hope you had a great time! When you’re back please let the VBA-Team have a look at this:

I tried one of our company macros on B2TR and compared to Word 2000, it really ran at slow motion!!!

I traced it down to be the r.Information(wdWithInTable)-Property. Here’s an example code for time measuring this:

Sub ttest()

Dim t As Single

Dim r As Range

Dim i As Integer

Set r = Selection.Range

t = Timer

For i = 1 To 100

If r.Information(wdWithInTable) Then

End If

MsgBox Timer – t

End Sub

I let this run with the selection being in the first cell of an empty 5×5 table (that’s the only content of the test document)

Result on Word 2000: 0,015625

Result on Word 2007 B2TR: 0,765625

That’s about 50 times slower!!! The PCs used for the tests were Pentium 4 with 3 Ghz and 2 GB memory.

4. Andre says:

Same for "Zoom" in Excel, why is that a dialog rather than a popup? "Custom" would have to open a dialog, but I guess it is rarely used.

5. Tim says:

I am having a problem with Outlook Beta TR and my posts on the discussion forum go unanswered. I’m not real thrilled about that.

6. jimvaglia1970 says:

What is beeing done to ensure Office products are accessible with products such as the above assistive technology talking software?

7. Charlie Williams says:

"I’ll be back posting regularly in a few days."

– September 27, 2006

What happened?  Where are you, Jensen?  I miss your insightful posts.

8. Davy Landman says:

Me too!

Everything allright? or getting a bit more of the much deserved free time?

9. Dan McCarty says:

So what happened to Jensen…?

10. Milan says:

Um, MORE than a few days have passed. Are you even considering of returning to your blog?!

11. Marcus says:

So, what’s up Jensen? Hope you are back soon…

12. Step says:

Sure do miss you in my regular news feed, Jensen!  I hope things are going well as you wrap up (if not done already) for Gold.

I look forward to when you regain your blogging energy.  😉

13. C. Moya says:

I have a feeling heads are rolling at MS. At least I hope they are. Vista delayed. SP for XP delayed. The sorely needed Visual Studio 2005 SP is going into beta after over a year of waiting (a beta for a SP?… is there going to be an SP for the SP too). IE7 is a complete disaster.

All that and I still can’t (easily) see two Excel documents across two monitors in Office 2007 because it still uses the deprecated (for 10 years now) MDI.