The World’s Longest Escalator!

It’s been a long time since I wrote off-topic, but I have 30 minutes to kill in Copenhagen airport, so here’s a quick weekend send-off.

This week I’ve been in London on business. I had a few minutes free on my way to a meeting on Wednesday, so I decided to take in some of the historic London sites.

Where did I go, you might ask.The British Museum? Buckingham Palace? The London Eye? (er, I mean the British Airways London Eye…)

Not me. I took a short trip on the tube to visit what is allegedly the longest escalator in Western Europe. Located in the Angel station on the Northern Line, this escalating marvel rises over nine stories high.

London not in your immediate travel plans? Don’t worry, I brought the experience of this majestic escalator directly to your desktop through the magic of my video phone.

Click here to watch possibly the world’s most boring video: me descending Western Europe’s longest escalator.

(Yes, I know the title of the post is misleading. I thought “The World’s” made it sound more exciting…)

1. Kostik says:

Hey, you should visit Moscow & St.-Petersburg, you’ll wonder even more πŸ™‚

2. Vorn says:

Doesn’t seem all that long.

But then, I ride the escalator from the 6 to the E at 57th street in NYC rather a lot.  I don’t know how long that one is, but it’s pretty nutso.

3. InTheTrenches says:

The CNN building in Atlanta supposedly has the world’s longest freestanding escalator.  It’s a good way to start the CNN tour, but not for the squeamish.

4. Andrew says:

I used to work in the building kitty-corner to the Angel tube. When that new station entrance first opened they had all kinds of trouble getting those escalators to work when fully loaded with people. It was great exercise walking up a stopped one!

I hope you enjoyed London.

5. Serge Wautier says:

> Yes, I know the title of the post is misleading

Nah, not that much: We don’t expect anything truly interesting in the colonies, do we ?

6. Dave Solimini says:

The longest uninterupted escalator in the world is in the Washington, DC metro system, at the Wheaton station. In fact, 4 of the 5 longest in the Western Hemisphere are in the DC system — Bethesda, Woodley Park/Zoo, and Medical Center being the other ones.

DC’s metro is dug very deep because the land is swampy — the city’s basically built on a tidal marsh. Stairs would be too much, so they have these huge escalators everywhere, and of course, they’re a maintenance nightmare and break all the time.

7. aleske says:

+1 about Moscow and especially St.-Petersburg. There are escalators much, much longer…

8. Sergey says:

Visit Moscow – 3-4 minutes video guaranteed! πŸ™‚

9. Nikhil says:

Jensen, u came to london and u didn’t tell us!! We coulda have shown you an even better time than Angel tube station!!

10. David says:

If you are going down, isn’t it called a Downscalator or something? πŸ™‚

11. Abigail says:

I agree, Moscow/St. Petersburg have the longest escalators I’ve been on. And they’re *fast*, too. When I came back to the US, I was impatient with the dinky escalators I could run faster than they could take me (not always true in the former).

Jensen, I have your RSS feed in my Outlook Beta 2. This entry has been marked new three times today already. Have you been editing it?

12. Tom says:

Do you know what’s really sad? The next time I’m bored after work, I’m now going to visit the escalator.

Oh, and none of them compare to this!

13. Andrew Eberhard says:

Tell me you notice all those MS advertisements as you descended.  As recently as a month ago, there were adds for Office 2003 [sic] and Windows Mobile all over the tube telescreens.  The man/dinosaur one was particularly disturbing at 11:45PM.

14. Comrade Ghorkov says:

Aparently the escalator at some ocean-themed theme-park in Hong Kong is the world’s longest escalator, but it is interrupted every few hundred feet or so.

I went there once in 1998, IIRC it took 10 minutes to reach the summit

15. Mike Staunton says:

As a London resident and frequent user of Angel station, I’m currently visiting Hong Kong and looking forward to riding on their linked series of elevators linking central with the mid-levels and totalling 800 metres in length I think

16. lesbian rape says:

Best of all people w can talk…