tuesday update

Well, the Cracker/Camper show last night was really good.  I always find it interesting to see who else from works shows up at rock shows.  Interestingly enough, there was a large overlap in attendence between this show and G3.  Anyway, we staked out good spots near the stage.  This is important because I like to be able to see the player’s fingers on their instruments.   I knew about fifty per cent of the songs played.  I think I can play every bass line from watching their bass player.  While watching Camper Van the thought occured to me that they were a bunch of slightly above average musicians who came together to form one heck of a band.

Question: What is the (current) difference between Cracker and Camper Van Beethoven?
Answer: A guitar player.

It is amazing the difference a guitar player makes.  The Cracker songs were much more intense.  It was a good set, but the encore was… well… annoying.  They played three songs in some wierd medly jam-band style.  The violin player had a gameboy (original) to keep him occupied, but we had to just stand there.  Bleh.

Cracker played a song off their new disc called Duty Free.  This is strikingly similar to a song by Ike Reilly of the same title.  I assume they both derived from the same source.  Does anybody know what that source would be?

In other news, the team is working very hard to drive to zero bugs.  To help unwind on fridays I have set up a dedicated Halo PC server.  Well, it helps with my stress levels.

1. xk says:

Ike Reilly wrote "Duty Free"; Cracker is covering it …

Source: http://www.livedaily.com/news/5625.html

… Then again, "Countrysides" is a funny album, too. A re-working of the obscure Ike Reilly song "Duty Free" is catchier than the original, and has the added bonus of the line "College drunks kicking pigeons in the asses."

2. jeffdav says:

Oh. I like the Ike Reilly version better. Dino agrees.

3. xymon says:

allmusic.com shows that while this cover of "duty free" is credited to Ike Reilly, there are 13 other covers with a different composer listed…

4. xk says:

Search for “Duty Free” at allmusic.com, and you’ll find a list of performers, album titles, the years those albums were released, and—notably—song composers, all conveniently bundled together in one table on the same page. Had anyone composed Reilly’s song other than Reilly, then allmusic.com, assuming it was steadfast in its pursuit of musical historicity, would have named another artist as a composer. It doesn’t. Reilly gets sole composing credit for his “Duty Free.” (As xymon noted, the site also names Reilly as the composer of Cracker’s “Duty Free.”)

But what if allmusic.com has somehow failed us? One must explore all avenues when it comes to this sort of thing.

So I used Google to look up several of the 15 recordings that came up in my “Duty Free” search at allmusic.com.

To identify predecessors, I focused my Google searches on works produced before 2001, when Ike Reilly released “Duty Free.” That left just three composing artists to research: Vic Chesnutt, Showcase Showdown and Sonny Stitt (who, incidentally, composed most of the 15 “Duty Free” listings at allmusic.com). Chesnutt and Showcase Showdown’s “Duty Free” lyrics are available online and show no antecedent relationship to Reilly’s song (although that of course says nothing about an instrumental relationship. Again, though, had there been one, an allmusic.com composing credit would have been in order). As for Sonny Stitt, his “Duty Free” may be lyric-free. Stitt, a jazz artist, was not a lyricist, at least not a published one. And Reilly’s “Duty Free” appears to not have taken any cues from Stitt’s song, a few notes of which I caught at amazon.com.

Rock on.

5. Rasta_Pasta says:

To xk and xymon I say this, your diligence in the pursuit of the origins of Ike’s "Duty Free" are commendable. However, to put this question to rest I will admit that I was there when Ike wrote most of this song. There are actually two versions: the demo version that Micky Petralia opted to shelve during the sessions for "Salesmen and Racists." and the track that made the record. The only minor differences between the never heard demo version and the album track are minute arrangement changes and a few lines that didn’t make the album. One of them being "…college drunks kicking pigeons in the asses." (sorry xk) As for any other artists with title sharing compositions, I can assure you that no musical or lyrical relation exists.

Personally speaking I like the Cracker version alot and am happy that they perform it.

R. Pasta

6. jeffdav says:

So, Rasta, when is the next album coming out?

7. R. Pasta says:

I heard about a release being set for later this summer, and I think it’s gonna be called "The Sparkle in The Finish." An art school friend of mine also tipped me off on a Ike Reilly vidoe for a song called "It’s alright to die" posted on http://www.modeproject.com under the laboratory section. Pretty cool stuff.

R.P.