A few weeks back my buddy Etienne tagged me and it’s been on my list of things to do to respond. Then, earlier this week, Buck listed me on his tag. Then, this morning, Brian did the same and I figured I better get off my butt before it happens a fourth time.
So, here it goes…five things you probably don’t know about me:
1) As a kid, I ran 3 marathons. At my school I was a bit of a celebrity because I was the youngest to run and the local paper wrote an article about me. I went on to run for the track team in jr high and was the captain of the cross country team in high school. From then I’ve been an on again / off again (mostly off again) runner.
2) I used to teach 6th grade. Between my two tours of duty here at MS, I took 7 years off to do a bunch of other things including teaching school. It was a great experience but as we all know, we don’t pay teachers anything close to a reasonable wage for the work they do. When the stock market took a plunge, I had to put my teaching aspirations on hold. Hopefully I’ll get to go back.
3) I’m an early riser. I suppose some of the folks I work with already know this, but invariably I wake up at 4am nearly every day without the aid of an alarm clock. I’ve tried going back to sleep but it doesn’t work…I’m just a morning person and I take advantage of it by getting a lot done in the morning. Of course that also means I’m passed out on the couch at 9:30pm most nights.
4) I love taking photos. I got my first digital camera 7 years ago and since then have taken 10’s of thousands of photographs. I got a Canon Digital Rebel XT for Christmas a couple years ago and on a recent trip to Australia I took over 3,000 photographs. Of course I threw 2,500 of those away but the remaining pictures are super. I’d love to spend the time really perfecting the art of taking good pictures.
5) I love math and logic puzzles. When I take some time off from the daily grind, I invariably turn to my stack of puzzle books that I’ve collected over the years. I find them very relaxing and rewarding. I know that might sound weird to some but it’s been something I’ve always enjoyed.