The Microsoft JDBC Driver now supports JRE 7

Greetings Developer Community,

The Microsoft JDBC Driver 4.0 for SQL Server now supports JRE 7.  If you have applications running against JRE 6 (or 5) and roll them forward to execute against JRE7, the Microsoft JDBC driver is now fully supported.

It’s important to note that:

• This is valid only for the latest Microsoft JDBC Driver 4.0 for SQL Server;
  • This change requires no driver refresh, which means that if you already have the Microsoft JDBC Driver 4.0 for SQL Server deployed, you are good to go;
  • The driver does not support the JDK 7, which means that, if you recompile your application against Java7, you will experience compilation errors.  This announcement is only for runtime execution.

Thanks

Luiz Santos

Sr. Program Manager

1. Wes Clark says:

We are planning to move our packaged application to JDK 7.  You are saying we cannot do that.  What are the plan and schedule for supporting Java applications compiled on JDK 7?

2. Angus says:

I am new the the ms driver having used jtds for a long time.  are you going to fix this issue or is there a code archive where I can fix this issue?

3. Moe says:

This fails to say what the differences are, what was supported, before, what is supported now that is different, and what features if included would cause compilation errors.

Typically speaking, java and jni wrappers are forwards compatible, and jdbc wraps drivers seamlessly.

So I would expect most java code developed in 6 and running in 7 and coded to access jdbc generally to have no possibility of compilation errors, only runtime errors.

So the whole article is questionable.

4. wesclark says:

I'd like to "watch" this page, but I can't find the mechanism to watch a page.

5. wesclark says:

The SQL Server documentation (msdn.microsoft.com/…/ms378422.aspx) states clearly that, “… the JDBC driver is designed to work with and be supported by all major Sun equivalent Java virtual machines, but is tested on Sun JRE 5.0, 6.0 and 7.0.”  I am still curious about what this posting is meant to convey, and what is meant by "the driver does not support the JDK 7."

6. Angus says:

3 months later and no movement?  Can someone give the JTDS project pointers on getting HA working?

7. jalal says:

When are you planning to support JDK1.7?

8. Andy says:

Or you could check out the Easysoft JDBC products!

9. Sen says:

Which version is the latest Microsoft JDBC Driver 4.0 for SQL Server? And where to download it?

I can only find the download link at http://www.microsoft.com/…/details.aspx, but the date for it is 3/6/2012, earlier that your comments.~

Please post the download link.

10. Sekar says:

I am unable to find the FileStreaming feature available from SQL Server 2008/2012 being supported by the  MS SQLServer JDBC driver latest version 4.0. I mean the similar feature used by .NET i.e SqlFileStream class using managed API  which I think it uses File Streaming provided by OS in stead of the database call .

Please let me know when such feature will be available ?

Thanks

Sekar

11. Riceball says:

As far as I could tell, the latest Microsoft JDBC Driver 4.0 for SQL Server is released on 3/6/2012 (4.0.2206). Can anyone tell if there is release after that?  Also when are you planning to support JDK 1.7?

12. Mike C says:

Getting "No suitable driver found" exception when trying to use SQL JDBC 4 driver with Java JDK 1.6.0.20 64-bit. When using JDK 1.6.0.10 (32-bit) it appears to work fine. Is there a specific reason the SQL JDBC 4 driver would not work with 64-bit JDK?

Thanks