A commenter asks about reporting crashes when working in a private network.
There’s another way to send in a crash, but it invloves a bunch of manual labor, on both your side & and on mine. One of the advantages is that it’s good for reporting hangs, both soft & hard.
- Launch a second instance of devenv.
- Set Engine=Native
- Attach to Devenv.
- SaveAs: Minidump
- save devenv.mdmp
- Debug.SaveDump again
- SaveAs: Minidump with heap
- save devenv-full.mdmp
- Debug.Windows.Threads window
- Double click on the first thread
- Open callstack window
- Select all, copy, and email it to me with devenv.mdmp. Include repro steps if you can
The devenv-full.mdmp file is enormous, and emailing it is cumbersome. Hold on to it for later.
This is enough information for us to diagnose most crashes.
Oh, to email me – jaybaz is my email alias at microsoft.com.
It’s going to be interesting to see if I get sent a lot of reports of crashes we already know, or what. I may be opening Pandora’s box here!