Announcing Visual Studio 2010 Service Pack 1

I’m happy to announce that as of 10:00 AM PST the final version of the Visual Studio 2010 Service Pack 1 (SP1) is available for download! MSDN subscribers can download the bits immediately with general availability on Thursday, March 10.

As described with the SP1 Beta post, in this release we have addressed some of the most requested features from customers of Visual Studio 2010 like better help support, IntelliTrace support for 64bit and SharePoint, and included Silverlight 4 Tools in the box. We also added unit testing support on .NET 3.5 and a new performance wizard for Silverlight, among other changes.

We concentrated heavily on fixing issues you reported, including the top voted issues from Connect. The full list of changes can be found in the Visual Studio and Team Foundation Server knowledge base articles. You can also find information about  SP1 compatibility, SP1 Readme, and general information about SP1 in the Visual Studio Dev Center.

Today we also announced the immediate availability of two new feature packs for MSDN Subscribers:

Since the launch of Visual Studio 2010 and the .NET Framework 4, we have continued our momentum of focusing on improving the developer experience. Thanks to all of you who have provided feedback along the way.

I hope you enjoy these releases!

Jason

1. confonam1 says:

tsk tsk, You missed to MONDAY, anyway great, now we can get back to coding and you can get back to http://www.fixwpf.org/

i think you need to look into the wider adoption senario of the tech you churn out for dev to use, wpf xaml great work , but suddenly some in ms had a great idea and came out with silverlight , well how many actual real lob value added implementation ? any stats? look at flash now ? you guy need to have some internal strategy that aligns with your OS release for the .net framework and people should not need to download much runtimes to run applications.also what about the wpf / xbap thing ? is it dead ? is that lost in some light?

2. Sambo says:

Does SP1 update the .NET Framework? In other words, is there a correlating update to the .NET Framework at the same time as VS SP1 that we'll need to deploy to servers and clients?

3. Jasonz says:

@confonam1 – Monday was never a target, turns out Tuesday's are easier with everyone in office on a Monday to get all of the downloads prepared πŸ™‚  The following post talks through quite a bit of WPF / Silverlight material: 10rem.net/…/the-present-and-future-of-wpf.  In addition VS2010 SP1 contains some nice designer peformance wins that benefit both WPF and Silverlight.

@Sambo – There is an update to .NET which VS2010 relies on.  It is not a full service pack, but rather a set of bug fixes.  I will post a pointer to details.

4. Gill Cleeren says:

I read on Twitter that this one includes RIA Services SP1 as well. Any (breaking) changes here?

5. Lynwood says:

Jason,

Does SP1 enable true 64bit debugging for web apps or just WOW64 which is limited to 2GB of RAM?

I asked over on Somasegar's WebLog but didn't hear back so I'm thinking this may be the place to ask. This learn.iis.net/…/iis-75-express-readme MS page implies that IIS Express won't be capable of true 64bit operation.

Currently, our options are to manually configure full IIS on local host or to use a 64bit build of CassiniDev ( cassinidev.codeplex.com ).  At our company, we like the drop in replacement Cassini because it "just works" and projects don't require any special settings to get true 64bit debugging with Visual Studio.  We always found it odd that we had to go create this build rather than it being built into VS 2010 and were hoping to see something like this become part of the SP1 release.

IIS Express seems to be a step in the right direction because it is more like production IIS than Cassini.  However, lack of 64bit support is a deal breaker for our debugging profile, and we are concerned that upgrading to VS 2010 – SP1  will break our 64 bit Cassini projects and require a manual fix for each project.

You may also reach me directly via our contact info at http://maplarge.com for more details.

Thanks for your hard work!

Lynwood

6. Jaans says:

I see the following download available amongst the SP1 downloads – what is it and where can I get more details? There is absolutely nothing on the web for the KB (at the time of writing), except for a Russian site (and it doesn't look kosher πŸ™‚

– KB2468871 (mu_.net_framework_4_kb2468871_x86_x64_ia64_651713.exe)

7. Kevin Zhu says:

Does SP1 include WP7 Tools or can be compatible ?

8. confonam1 says:

I saw that blog post long back.But you should read the comments like..

Even, MS employee admitted it himself (see comment in here: connect.microsoft.com/…/vs2010-ide-becomes-gradually-slower-while-opening-a-large-number-of-files:)

"Thanks for taking the time to report the issue. What you're seeing is unfortunately a side effect of Visual Studio moving to WPF. In order to display the new features each window takes a bit more memory so when you're opening a large number of files it will slow down the system."

9. Scott says:

Does SP1 include Async, if not will SP1 break the Async CTP?

Thanks

10. Maxime C. says:

Great new πŸ™‚

But like when VS2010 was released, Windows SDK users must slow down… It should have a big Warning before downloading it.

blogs.msdn.com/…/windows-sdk-v7-1-with-visual-studio-2010-service-pack-1-potential-issue-with-x64-ia64-visual-c-compilers.aspx

I will follow your both blogs, waiting for a fix.

11. Disappointed says:

Ooohh Aaahhh. A shiny new service pack.

I reloaded my computer last week, so it's clean. I use Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate (yeah, the one that costs around $12,000.00). I attempted to install SP1, and it failed!  It even took about 15 minutes to roll back SQL Server R2 Management Objects (x64) and needed my original VS2010 installation DVD to finish. I know I can only speak for myself, but I'm beginning to wonder if Microsoft is still capable of writing software that works!

12. Tom says:

I see no instructions for those who have installed SP1 Beta.  Please add to the Readme.

Thanks

13. @Scott – the current async ctp is known to be incompatible as per this list:

blogs.msdn.com/…/compatibility-and-visual-studio-2010-service-pack-1.aspx

There's an 'Async CTP Refresh' being prepared as per the 'Async CTP issues with VS2010 SP1' announcement here:

social.msdn.microsoft.com/…/threads

14. @JasonZ – my apologies if I've just missed it, but for a machine that has both TFS and VS2010 on it (I'd imagine this is fairly common, as many of us do this for getting certain types of projects to build on our TFS Build machines), what's the recommended (required?) order of the 2 SP1's to install?

15. Jeff Beehler says:

@James Manning: regarding the installation procedures TFS, please refer to Brian's blog on the topic: blogs.msdn.com/…/installing-all-the-new-stuff.aspx.  The short answer is that the order does not matter but it's critical that you install both the VS and TFS patches if both are present on the same machine.

16. Jeff Beehler says:

@Tom – there is no need to uninstall the VS2010 SP1 beta release before upgrading to the final version of VS2010 SP1.  More details about the SP1 installer are posted on Heath's blog: blogs.msdn.com/…/visual-studio-2010-service-pack-1-has-shipped.aspx.

17. Jasonz says:

@Gill – no breaking changes to RIA Services in SP1.  You can read more about the known compatibility issues here: go.microsoft.com/fwlink

@Lynwood – As you mention VS2010 SP1 moves from Cassini to IIS Express which hopefully gives you a closer experience to true production.  I've asked the web team to comment on what, if any, plans for 64-bit they have.

@Jaans – I mentioned that there is an updated version of the .NET Framework which VS2010 SP1 chains into the installation.  What you are pointing to is likely that package, although it is still in the process of being propogated to the servers.  Stay tuned, these bits should be ready and we'll explain them in the next couple of days.

@Kevin – SP1 is compatible witht he tools for Windows Phone 7.  I've been building out my own sample application (published to the store and on my blog), "Tip Express", with them for months with no problem.

@confonam1 – I don't agree with the comment you have pointed to.  Any time you change prenestation or other subsystems it is required to go through and tune your own software.  We have done that in VS2010.

@Scott – async support is still a CTP.  We don't include CTP's in service packs (by definition they are candidate tecnology which means unfinished and subject to change).  We do have a version of the async ctp that works with SP1, I will post details on how to get that.

@Maxime – sorry about that, the team is looking at the issue

@Disappointed – sorry you are running into issues.  if you want to contact me through this blog we will take a look.

18. @JeffBe – thanks!  There was the recommended bit I was looking for: "The order you install them doesn’t matter but I recommend installing the TFS SP first."

Whichever order got more testing is the one I want to stick with. πŸ™‚

Thanks again!

19. Chris says:

Warning: Installing VS 2010 SP1 will cause you to loose Intellisense in SSMS 2008 R2 to SQL 2008 R2 databases (and probably R1 databases as well). Note: This loss is with Intellisense in SSMS (SQL Server Management Studio 2008) not VS 2010.

20. jorgemon says:

Hi Jason, I have a question that I'd like that you answer, the SP1 includes VS2010 feature pack 2?, because I'd like to try the Coded UI Test on Silverlight. Thanks in advance for your time.

Regards,

jorgemon

21. David says:

1. Why isn't there a full .NET 4.0 SP1 being released along VS 2010 SP1?

2. Is there a way to slipstream SP1?

3. Will there be SP1-integrated ISO on MSDN, TechNet and DreamSpark?

22. drkovrlrd says:

Another example of comments:

Quote: social.msdn.microsoft.com/…/c248ebf7-eaf1-44ce-9649-200e0589ba3e

How do you get it out of CTP?  You get Async out of CTP by speaking up and insisting that Microsoft put more resources behind it; let Microsoft know we care about this feature.  If it is just up to Microsoft then we will not see a release until 2012 as part of the next version of Visual Studio.  The talk of including Async as part of the next version of C# is unacceptable because it is already working the current version; and after a refesh it will work with SP1 too.

It is time for an Async 1.0 release, not just a refresh.  This isn't even a runtime feature… so how can you have a go-live license for a compiler feature anyway?  If it doesn't work then it's just our application bits; QA should have tested it better.   I just waited for an entire year for Microsoft to fix only Half of the memory leaks in the current release of Silverlight.  An entire year?

MY POINT IS THAT MICROSOFT CAN DELAY THIS PROJECT FOR ANOTHER YEAR OR TWO AND STILL HAVE BUGS TO FIX, OR LET US USE WHAT WORKS NOW.  EVERY INDICATION SO FAR IS THAT IT IS UP TO US TO MAKE SOME NOISE AND MAKE MICROSOFT HEAR THAT WE NEED THIS FEATURE.

MICROSOFT IS BECOMING OLDER AND MORE DEAF EVERY DAY.  NOWADAYS THEY'RE JUST LAYING BACK IN THE LAY-Z-BOYS THAT BILL GATES PURCHASED FOR THEM; WATCHING GOOGLE AND APPLE PASS THEM BY.

23. CantUse says:

Sorry, until the problem with installing this SP1 onto a machine with Windows SDK is resolved, it is of no use to us.

Seriously, guys, do you actually test your products before shipping these days? A significant proportion of your C++ developers *are bound* to have the latest version of Windows SDK installed…

Sigh.

24. Nick Tompson says:

drkovrlrd, you're an outright idiot. If Microsoft released the Async stuff now and let us used what works *now*, you'd complain that it was buggy! This is often s concept that Raymond Chen rants about.

I have no doubt that Microsoft employees have Lay-Z-Boys – I do however doubt that Gates is the owner of such. Get some facts straight, Apple and Google have a long way to go before they even begin to start passing them.

25. Aaron Carlson says:

Ugh!! It's Thursday and I want to download SP1.  But as of 9:45 cst You're link for Thursday's general availability download isn't live yet!  I am impatient.  When is the link going live?  πŸ™‚

26. HF says:

Hi Jason Zander

Where is general download ?

Today is Thursday !!!

27. Jeff Beehler says:

@Aaron, @HF – the general availability of VS2010 SP1 is scheduled today at 10am PST.  We're almost there!

28. Max says:

Can we now edit and continue x64 application?

Anyway thanks for your great work!

29. Jasonz says:

There have been questions about updates to the .NET Framework.  There is no full service pack for .NET Framework 4.  However there is an update which you can download from here: go.microsoft.com/fwlink.  The outline of fixes (linked from the download page) is here: support.microsoft.com/…/2468871.

This update is titled "Microsoft .NET Framework 4 KB2468871".  You can read more about what is in the update on the download page.

As I mentioned in a previous comment, VS2010 SP1 requires this update and will automatically install it as part of setup.

When you build a project using VS2010 SP1, it does not force a dependency on the update.  Whether you need to deploy the update with your client or server application depends on your need for the fixes in the update.  You will need to look through what it contains to make that call.

30. Jasonz says:

@Aaron, @HF – The bits are live for general download here: msdn.microsoft.com/…/vstudio

@Chris – Sorry about the issue you are seeing, it appears to be an issue with a breaking change the SQL team made for error messages.  They are looking at it.

@jorgemon – the primary goal of the SP was to look at reported issues rather than new features (with a couple of exceptions).  We did not slip stream the feature packs for that reason.  But they are compatible with the SP.

@David – There is no service pack for .NET 4, however there is a cumulative update.  See my comment above for a pointer.  Unfortunately we do not have a slipstream'd version of SP1.

@Max – Sorry, SP1 did not change edit and continue functionality.

31. Hotfix for Visual C++ Standard 2010 Beta 1 - ENU (KB...) ... 10-Mar-2011 ??? says:

What is with the dozen or so

Hotfix for Visual C++ Standard 2010 Beta 1 – ENU (KB…) … 10-Mar-2011

in CP, Programs, View installed updates that SP1 installed?

32. Sean Hederman says:

Copy and Paste hangs the IDE for a minute or so

Razor intellisense broken

Rolling back SP1. When can we expect the SP for the SP?

33. Nick Tompson says:

Weird – C+P plenty fast for me.

34. Jasonz says:

@Sean – We are not seeing the behavior you mention; all of those scenarios were tested and signed off.  Can you contact me through this blog with details and we will have a look? I suspect something environmental.

35. Tony says:

Has SQL MS IntelliSense killswitch been fixed/reverted? Any idea when?

36. CarlD says:

@Tony – The SQL Intellisense problem is fixed by installing SQL 2008 R2 CU6 (some reports indicate that CU5 works too).  If installing a CU is not an option for you, then you'll have to wait and hopefully get a fix in the not too distant future.

37. Nick Tompson says:

Jason – how can I completely remove VS and reset everything.. or fix my install? My install is terribly broken – opening CSS files for example either tell me the file can't be found or that E_FAILED was returned from a COM component.

Please help …

38. SP1 breaks IntelliSense, AutoIndent, F# runtime does not install, rollback fails says:

@JasonZ and @Sean,

For what it is worth, I am seeing the exact same problems as Sean.

VS2010 Ultimate, after installing SP1 C# IntelliSense is gone, autoindent in C# is gone, every RETURN goes to position 0, even on new projects, fun things is that VB works, but I do not use that :).

So I tried to uninstall SP1, which fails, asks numerous time for backup copy locations, ended up pointing it to the VS2010 RTM DVD where I installed from. At the end it states the uninstall failed.

So I reapply SP1 again, which now also fails due to the fact thet in the Registry components hive entries which child nodes have there ACLs remove, so the installer cannot access them and fails

Example is this location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionInstallerUserDataS-1-5-21-2127521184-1604012920-1887927527-45065Components30E318CEB5EABA130BADCFA865CD874C9AC087DE786021C34B9333962F4249F1

I had to go through each component node which had a child node and reset the ownership and permission so that the installer had access again.

After this I finally could re-apply SP1, expect for the F# runtime which does not install correctly but when you run all the MSI's individually it seems to work.

I have SP1 installed again, but I still do not have C# IntelliSense nor auto indent to work on my main machine.

So I sacrefized an other machine, installed SP1 and have no problems with C#, but now SQL Server is hosed, I am using SQL Server 2008, not 2008 R2 on this box, reapplying the SP1 MSI's from SQL Server did not work, and uninstalling SP1 failed as well on this box.

Result, 2 full days down the drain and a VERY disappointed user. Right now I am gone back to VS2008 since I have a deadline.

You can reach me at Milo.A.Hoffman at GMail

39. Jasonz says:

@tompsonn, @sp1[…] — can you contact me through this blog with your setup logs?  we'll take a look at what you are seeing.  thanks, Jason

40. Nick Tompson says:

Jason – I managed to fix everything with the Visual Studio removal tool and deleting the whole VS registry key and did a clean install + SP1.

working beautifully. I think a few extensions buggered me up.

Cheers.

41. C++/CLI Intellisense says:

Are there any plans for a SP2?

If there is could something be done to readd the C++/CLI intellisense support to VS.

If I've interpreted it correctly; this blogs (blogs.msdn.com/…/10136696.aspx)

implies that it won't be added until the next VS version.

If this is the case then I guess it could be years away which isn't good?

Regards

42. Jasonz says:

@tompsonn — glad to hear you got it going!

@C++/CLI — Unfortunately the current plans are for v-next.  There is significant work involved with front end (the parser portion of the compiler) in order to build up the right support.  From a scope and churn perspective it simply doesn't fit in a service pack release.

43. gph says:

Still no intellisense for C++/CLI!?!?!?! WTF?

44. Nick Tompson says:

visual assist X is doing its job for now implementing intellisense for C++/CLI…

i recommend to give that a go until the next version of visual studio.

45. jorgemon says:

Thanks for replying Jason, one more question do you know if there is a way that I can get the Feature Pack 2 without a MSDN subscription?, I'd really like to try it as the Coded UI test has really cool improvements on the Feature Pack 2.

Regards,

jorgemon

46. Jasonz says:

@jorgemon – unfortunately no, feature packs are part of the MSDN subscription (power tools are available without a subscription)

47. mikeJ says:

Haven't been able to find out if this is going to release through Windows Update like some of the other VS tools or if need to download install individually ?

48. Jeff Beehler says:

@MikeJ – we expect to make this service pack available through Microsoft Update in the coming months.

49. JoelTbay1 says:

A quick search and I see mainstream support for VS 2010 goes until July 2015. Its 2011.

Why, why, why are there plans for only ONE service pack for Visual Studio 2010?

Release, one service pack, V-next… release, one service pack, V-next…  When I invest in expensive Microsoft Development Tools, I expect support and bug fixes to last more than a few months.  And I expect bug fixes in some sort of logical package… not a HOT FIX MESS (see Visual Studio 2008)! Seriously. The relentless pursuit of V-Next while dropping V-WhatWeAreAllUsing is shortsighted and lousy customer service.  This product is WAY too complex to be a single service pack product.  Come on!

50. JSB says:

Thank God, finally, a local help system, added BACK to VS.

It look/feels similar to the AWESOME MSDN Help.

My only lament, is that the MSDN Library for "Web Development" which included HTML and CSS and covered such topics as "HTML and DHTML Overviews/Tutorials" is not available, including downloading ALL additional libraries.

This one library covered the full HTML DOM, and script, and is simply worth its weight in gold.

51. Eric Cote says:

@JSB

If you really miss a part of MSDN that is not included in the local Visual Studio documentation, you can add it via the "PackageThis" utility.

It works well, although you have to fiddle a bit to get everything going smoothly.

See this blog post:

mshcmigrate.helpmvp.com/…/packagethis

52. jleaf says:

@Maxime C. – Hi, my name is Jennifer Leaf and I'm a Program Manager for the Windows SDK.  We released an update to the SDK today that will address the compatibility issues between VS2010 SP1 and Windows SDK 7.1.  Please see the following blog post for more information:  blogs.msdn.com/…/released-visual-c-2010-sp1-compiler-update-for-the-windows-sdk-7-1.aspx

53. Vijaya says:

Hi Jason,

This isssue has been filed in many places; I just want to put another scenario wherein my code is failing to get opened in the designer mode.

Scenario: (VS 2010 with SP1)

ClassLibrary1, Form1.vb has Button1. Button1 has access modifier as Protected

ClassLibrary2, Form2.vb has Button2. Form2 inherits Form1, so Form2 has now Button1 of inherited form1 and its own Button2 also there.

ClassLibrary3, Form3.vb inherits Form2.vb; Form3 will have Button1 of Form1 and Button2 of Form2.

If I write any event for Button1 in Form3.vb and try to open the designer of Form3, it fires following exception in the designer.

Value cannot be null. Parameter name: objectType

at System.ComponentModel.TypeDescriptor.TypeDescriptionNode.GetRuntimeType(Type objectType)

at System.ComponentModel.TypeDescriptionProvider.GetRuntimeType(Type reflectionType)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.MultiTargetingContextProvider.GetRuntimeType(Type objectType)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.Serialization.CodeDom.HandlesClauseManager.GetFieldType(String fieldName, Type documentBaseType)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.Serialization.CodeDom.HandlesClauseManager.GetReferencedComponentType(String componentName, CodeTypeDeclaration codeTypeDecl, ITypeResolutionService loader, IDictionary& cache)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.Serialization.CodeDom.HandlesClauseManager.ParseHandlesClauses(CodeTypeDeclaration codeTypeDecl, Boolean updateCache)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.Serialization.CodeDom.VSCodeDomParser.OnMethodPopulateStatements(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.CodeDom.CodeMemberMethod.get_Statements()

at System.ComponentModel.Design.Serialization.TypeCodeDomSerializer.Deserialize(IDesignerSerializationManager manager, CodeTypeDeclaration declaration)

at System.ComponentModel.Design.Serialization.CodeDomDesignerLoader.PerformLoad(IDesignerSerializationManager manager)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.Serialization.CodeDom.VSCodeDomDesignerLoader.PerformLoad(IDesignerSerializationManager serializationManager)

at System.ComponentModel.Design.Serialization.BasicDesignerLoader.BeginLoad(IDesignerLoaderHost host)

Please let me know how do I proceed..???