Visual Studio 2010 SP1 Interim Fix List

One of the most common requests from the announcement of VS2010 SP1 was for the list of fixed issues in the release.  This is something we typically publish at the final RTM of the release and will do so again for this release.  But due to popular demand the team has pulled together a preview of the issues linked from the Connect site that have been fixed so far in the release.  One important thing to note is this list is not exhaustive; there are more issues resolved in the release than just those reported through Connect.  We’ll have the final list by RTM.

Note that some teams have also published their own more exhaustive list for their areas.  Check out Brian Harry’s list for TFS and Amit Chatterjee’s list for the Test products.

C++ runtime

Database

Debugger

Editor

Editor – ASP.NET

Editor – C++

Editor – XAML

Testing

TFS

Miscellaneous

Several posters wondered why we did not have the list already.  The main reason is we generally target the final RTM release to do this exercise to ensure we have everything documented (it then shows up as a KB article).  We track everything in TFS (as you would expect) so simply running a query is not an issue.  As a normal part of a release we track *everything* you could imagine from internal system issues, readme updates, EULA updates, even builds that failed due to the power outage we had 2 weeks ago in Redmond.  Clearly these aren’t interesting to publish so the list needs to be scrubbed.  Another issue is externally reported bugs often have generic titles like “{Foo} is busted” which is not very descriptive.  So we wind up going through the list to try and make it more descriptive and get it down to just the core issues you care about.

I want to say a big THANKS to everyone who has submitted feedback so far on the SP.  Your feedback is invaluable to us as we work on finalizing the release and ensuring we have a high quality release.  I continue to see a lot of feedback on performance in particular which we would like to correlate with machine configs and project types.  If you can send your performance related issues to devperf@microsoft.com we want to do more investigation of the issues.  I suspect some OS/machine configs may be the root of the widely varied feedback we’ve received to date.  Thanks in advance for your help on this.

Jason

1. About to upgrade says:

Hi Jason,

At our software house, my team is about to upgrade our builds from VS2008 to VS2010. With the SP1 in Beta, it seems wasteful for us to do this twice for VS2010 and then again for SP1. We have to modify shared internal SDKs and code generators to work with VS2010 as well as standard projects, so it will take some time, and quite a bit of coordination between teams.

What I need to know is when will the RTM for VS2010 SP1 bew? If you can't tell us that, can you give us the date when you'll be able to announce the RTM date?

If its less than about 45 days away, we might be able to hold off. Otherwise we'll have to migrate to vanilla VS 2010 and wait for the RTM, and then do separate work for any further changes required.

Thanks!

2. Sam Skuce says:

I see Intellisense for Visual C++/CLI (connect.microsoft.com/…/c-cli-intellisense) is not included in this interim list.  I am sharpening my pitchforks and stockpiling torches.

3. G. Lochner says:

I also can't find the IntelliSense feature for C++/CLI projects. It's really a pain to use Visual Studio without this support. We won't upgrade to 2010 until the support is available. Microsoft, that wasn't a masterpiece to release VS without that support!!

4. Ian Lindsay says:

As I have asked several times in other places (without response), can we have some clarification as to where having no intellisense for C++/CLI in SP1 (which I really hope is not the case) leaves context sensitive help and code browsing?

If in SP1 these are still more or less just a text search as they are currently, then we have a problem. Not having intellisense is fixable with Visual AssistX, annoying as it is to have to buy a third party product to make the IDE you have already bought work like its predecessor. However, F1 help, go to definition, etc are driven from the intellisense data as far as I understand it, so will need some sort of substitute to work in any way usefully.

5. jamome says:

Thanks for the list!  I've been looking for this 🙂

I just upgraded a few C++/MFC solutions from VS2005 to VS2010.  VS2005 intellisense wasn't always accurate, but it was fast.   I've only been using VS2010 for a couple weeks, but I'm disappointed at the sometimes 5 to 10 second hang for goto definition/declaration.  This can become very painful when actually trying to do work, and not just messing around 🙂  Also, this performance issue seems puzzling since I'd been reading the msdn blogs on the new intellisense architecture (e.g. how clean, efficient and fast the new intellisense is).

Overall, if performance were improved (especially Intellisense) I'd be satisfied with my upgrade from VS2005 SP1.   Keeping my fingers crossed.

Also, if VS2010 SP1 is pretty limited scope (which it appears to be), will there be SP2? (like in the old VC6 days?) Or, will all issues be deferred until we purchase the next release of VS, a couple years from now?

6. drd says:

Not much/anything on the framework/clr.

re: performance. I suppose all the new easier extensibility etc coolness comes at a price. Or is it the the price of moving to more managed code?

I've heard quite a few times about the wonderous nature of JIT in that it allows the runtime know more about the code and system it's running on allowing to better optimize code than what static compilers are able to. It sounds so good on paper even I was completely sold on this. But I haven't seen a whole lot of real world apps where moving from stuff compiled on Intel C++ Compiler to C# or C++/CLI increased performance. I think theoretically, on paper and in some tiny subset of benchmarks it might happen but I have a feeling that even if you had ton resources available to spend to make it happen in more places, the possible gains probably don't justify the expense. And even if it all worked perfectly and C# was as fast or faster as C++ after JIT & runtime optimizations, would all that JIT work be possible to do on another core without trashing the caches etc – on several apps running. What if the whole system/kernel was managed code?

I've had some rose tinted glasses on past few years but it's slowly dawning that .NET/CLR isn't going to be everything I had hoped it could be given MS's resources, because of the what seem to be fundamental issues caused by JIT & GC.

If only C# could 1) somehow be made to run without JIT/NGEN steps unless target was niche architecture – and 2) allow even easier working with native libraries than what Visual C++ allows without marshaling/interop perf penalty – just add reference and you can immediately use the stuff, no need to declare imports and whatnot atleast for the "common case" stuff. 3) static verification / fuzzing where unable to otherwise verify

After VS2010 SP1 beta install I thought the SP1 made 2010 a whole lot slower (first few startups took 3-4x longer because SP1 beta installer didn't do NGEN ahead of time? Guess). First impression is important for app perf also. It should be easy to ship the x86+x64 fully native code alongside with the IL (which would only be NGENd if the target system wasn't precompiled) in single executable (xcopy style install). If and when x86 etc goes out of fashion, just flip some switch to start shipping only IL for x86 and precompiled code for new architecture.

Summary: Need C## with easy zero perf impact native C/C++ lib & code interop that's usable from embedded to pro audio predictable latency requirements, with high performance and easy to use GUI framework and super fast app state save/load & serialization. None of that XML/XAML stuff, that's totally unnecessary. It should also be possible to have a source code file on the disk and click the source file to run it and include source file as part of the apps (Source file is the configuration, no separate configuration file format), which is then compiled on demand when the app runs. Like scripts except native performance. There should be a way to limit some operations in these dynamically compiled sources so they can be used in a plugin manner (verification) without need of another scripting language.

7. xaml says:

Intellisense for C++/CLI. Very ironically I switched to Qt, lacking support of intellisense. VC2008 does not support .NET 4.

8. Kieran says:

Any idea if the following will be fixed in the RTM release?

connect.microsoft.com/…/accessing-nested-objects-in-data-source-of-local-report-does-not-function

It's costing us a bomb to maintain report viewer 10 reports because of this VS bug.  It wasn't fixed in the beta as the comments on connect had confirmed.

9. Ian L says:

Some clarification from MS regarding Intellisense – not good news unfortunately:

connect.microsoft.com/…/intellisense-not-working-with-vs2010-c-cli-projects

10. Stella Chan says:

Kieran,

Thank you for trying out the Beta.  I have responded back to your issue regarding

Could you upload a repro for the issue?  We would look at it once we get it.

Thanks in advance.

Stella Chan

Principal Program Manager

SQL Server Reporting Services

11. bralston says:

Jason, thank you for providing this list. This is exactly what we've all been asking for.

12. Marcello says:

I would like to know if the bug that public and protected inherited members are not displayed in the class view and object browser for C++ projects was fixed. I posted that in Connect when VS2010 was released. Thanks.

13. disappointed vs2010 user says:

Didn't they have time to fix all bugs ?

By the way where's the "Reverted from WPF to vs2008 gui code" bug fix ?

or is WPF bug a "by design" bug, there just to annoy users ? Please remove it already !

Thanks for the early bug fix list

14. Rinaldo says:

Hi Jason,

thanks for the list.

Is it true that Microsoft does not plan an SP2 for VS2010? For a huge product as VS2010 is, just one service pack is not enough, I think.

15. danobrega says:

No Intellisense, again, fail. I wonder why VS2010 wasn't released with the old intellisense engine while you kept working on the new. The next major version could then include the fully functional version.

SNAFU.