A New Look for Visual Studio 2010

At the PDC and TechEd EMEA last year we described our new editor support built on the WPF technology in .NET Framework 4.0.  Today I’m happy to reveal the new UI for Visual Studio, also built on WPF:

DvX_ShellBase

In this image you can see several areas of concentration:

• Reduced clutter and visual complexity by removing excessive lines and gradients in the UX and modernized the interface by removing outdated 3D bevels

• Placed focus on content areas by opening negative space between windows and drawing attention to the current focus with a dominant accent color and a distinctive background

• Added an inviting new palette to make VS 2010 more distinctive

In the following image you can see floating documents which allows you to utilize multiple monitors while designing your project and writing code:

DvX_ShellFloatWide

This image shows new support in the editor for outlining:

• Triangle glyphs in the margin are used to collapse or expand your code blocks

• Collapsed sections of code are marked with an empty triangle (pointing straight) as well as a set of ellipses

• Colors on the margin indicate edits that have been made

image

The New Project dialog has also gotten an update to include online template viewing, a search box, and easier navigation.  Multi-targeting remains in this version but now with .NET Framework 4.0 included as an option:

image

Visual Studio has a very broad and rich ecosystem of extensions written by our partners and folks like you.  In VS2010 we wanted to make it easier for you to find those extensions and install them.  We’ve enabled the new Extension Manager for this purpose:

image

With the Extension Manager you will be able to browse for templates and tools online and install them easily into the Visual Studio environment.  The next public release of VS will have this new functionality and we’ll be hooking up the online capabilities through the Visual Studio Gallery as part of the final release.

These designs were developed and tested for user feedback by our User Experience team and implemented by the VS Platform team (excellent job!).

We hope you like the new look and feel of Visual Studio 2010.  You’ll be able to play with these bits when we release Beta 1 which we are working hard on right now (no formal announce date just yet, stay tuned).

Enjoy!

1. Chad Moran says:

Loving the look so far, can’t wait for the next CTP/Beta/RC. :)

2. Mike Yeager says:

Looks great! One thing I’d love to see is tha bility to stack tabs in the edit and designer panes. Currently (and it looks like 2010 as well), if the tabs sill the screen then they are added to a drop-down list and not easily accessible. I often have MANY tabs open at once and would like to be 1-click away from all of them.

3. Jon Galloway says:

Looks incredible! I’m really looking forward to the multi-monitor support.

Can you please provide the Beta’s (and especially CTP’s) in installable form rather than VPC’s? Ship it as an unsupported, use at your own risk product with a twenty step install document, but please give use the option of shooting ourselves in the foot.

4.   You may have heard that VS 2010 will have an improved UI.  The last CTP showed some of the

5. Sam Moreira says:

Nice features. I liked the ability to use multiple monitors; it’ll make it so much easier to work on several files side by side.

6. Tobin Titus says:

I absolutely love the multi-monitor features.

7. Julian Carax says:

Looks superb, I am looking forward to the Beta.

It would be great if VS2010 could be installed on the non-system drive properly. At the moment VS 2005/2008 can be, but when you try to install BIDS it completely screws up. I don’t know why this wasn’t picked up when 2008 was released, but hopefully its on the list for 2010 :).

Especially as Scott Gu recommends installed VS on a seperate drive for performance.

8. Drew Marsh says:

Looks great, but… how bout some higher resolution pics? And… more of them. Better yet, how ’bout some video of windows in action. Please tell me the tool windows slide out, pull away and dock smoothly now. :)

Later,

Drew

9. Dang…I was hoping to see the ribbon in there somewhere.

10. You’ve been kicked (a good thing) – Trackback from DotNetKicks.com

11. Very nice looking. I like that the window chrome in VS’10 will be a darker color. The traditional, mostly white chrome in previous versions makes the monitor brighter and harder to look at for extended periods of time. I like the idea of this a lot more; and it follows suite (a little bit) after the UI in the Expression tools.

Since it’s written in WPF, will be have the ability to re-skin it to what ever we’d like??

12. Amr says:

Looks great.. I love the multiple monitors support..

Could you please provide us with more snapshot.. with larger size? these ones are pretty small..

Thanks..

13. Amr says:

Is it possible to ‘group tabs’.. sometimes I would be working on some many related files at once.. that It would be useful to group them instead of looking through them to find the one I want..

Also, Stacking tabs (instead of scrolling them to right and the left) is a great idea..

14. Depuis la PDC (Professionnal Developer Conference) 08, Microsoft a annoncé que Visual Studio 2010 serait

15. First look at the Visual Studio 2010 UI

16. It looks like the first two screenshots are mockups, given that the devenv titlebar doesn’t match what’s shown in the Windows titlebar.

17. Scott Wojan says:

Not a big fan of the triangle glyphs for code expansion… they don’t indicate the range of code covered when expanded like it currently does.

18. Bill Henning says:

Question, what is the new red colored modification mark showing?

19. El Bruno says:

Buenas, si has hecho alguna prueba al estilo “Hola Raimundo” en las máquinas virtuales de Visual Studio

20. El Bruno says:

21. El Bruno says:

22. when can we expect the next CTP/Beta?

23. Why only make the extra code windows floating? For real multi monitor support, it would be so nice to have multiple, real windows, with tabs and maximize and minimize buttons, docking for anything panels, etc.

24. Aaron Marten says:

Jason Zander , the General Manager for Visual Studio, has just announced some more details (with screenshots)

25. The VS10 UI is taking shape , it still looks very much like the UI in the PDC build but with some tweaks

26. AndrewSeven says:

I would pass on the little triangles and stick with the plus/minus icons we have now.

Mimicking the look of the Vista windows explorer is not a great idea.

I would hope that the focus would be on function, not fashion…

27. Very hyper cool! I am especially looking forward to the multi-monitor support.

I have some questions, however.

First, it looks from the screenshot like the document window, when dragged off the tab list, transfers into a tool window. I worry because tool windows don’t play well with the rest of the operating system. Will this window be a fully functional window rather than a tool window by release? Inquiring minds want to know!

Second, since you’ve revisited the structure of the shell, have you finally made the tool windows multi-threaded? There’s nothing more annoying than accidentally expanding the toolbox when it’s not needed it and having the entire freaking UI pause as it tries to figure out which tools to show. That processing should be in another thread so that I can safely ignore it when I didn’t really want it.

28. Denis Vuyka says:

Awesome! I’m afraid won’t fall asleep today after reading this post! Will be waiting for betas impatiently.

29. Brock says:

For the expand/collapse code regions, I see you’re no longer using a + or – for them, but instead the Vista-style triangles. Can you make them big enough to click (which would be slightly larger than they seem to be in your screen shots), please? Vista fails in this regard and is a usability problem, IMO.

30. Batman says:

Well, I’m very disappointed that Office ribbons haven’t been considered at all.

31. Omer Mor says:

nice overall.

Didn’t like the triangles.

The current +/- regions are much better looking.

32. W wersji CTP , która była dostępna podczas zeszłorocznych konferencji TechEd i PDC, a która wciąż jest

33. Arlen says:

I am happy to see that WPF is being used for the UI.  I think that it will kickstart more people to start using these great frameworks since most people are used to staying back with what they know until large organizations like MSFT push it.  I do not like the triangles however.  I would like to see the +/- being used more.

34. Lots of pretty-pretty, but it still looks like you require XAML editing in the UI designer. Or someone things it’s so cool to see XAML that they suppose people will be impressed.

I’m not impressed with that part. Visual forms designers should be usable without once touching the supporting code, or even seeing it, 95% of the time. Make it possible to hide the XAML so that a programmer almost never has to look at it.

35. Great to see a darker palette.  It is easier on the eyes.  Multi-monitor support is awesome too!

What will be the default font?  Too many developers just accept the Visual Studio defaults, so please provide something better than Courier New.

36. Eduardo says:

Please get rid of the toolbars! It is toolbar hell!

37. Mark Rendle says:

@rob: I disagree. The beauty of WPF is that you can work entirely within the XAML editor, especially with the flexible layout containers. It’s much more efficient and flow-friendly than the graphical designers of Windows Forms and similar GUI frameworks. No more roughly positioning and sizing components with the mouse and using the Properties window to fine-tune, or tentatively editing the generated code because a complex control has got its properties out of whack. Personally I’d be quite happy if the visual part of the WPF design surface was just a preview of the layout with no editing at all.

Jason: love the new look. Can’t wait to get my hands on the beta.

38. vtortola says:

I hope that the WPF designer improves a lot, because now is a big pain in the ass, bad performance, uses to get stucked and in time to time do the VS crash 😐 The most of the time I open the XAML files with the Source Code Editor because otherwise is imposible to work. And actually, I don’t need an advanced design evironment like Expression Blend for do what I do…

Anyway, the screenshots look superb.

39. Jon Erickson says:

This looks incredible. Can’t wait.

40. Sai says:

The triangles, I imagine will be harder to hit compared to a checkbox. Also, it would be nice to pop-up the code that is collapsed when you hover over the Triangle/Checkbox.

The new look is great.

Another thing I’d like improved is the "Add References" dialog. It currently enumerates the GAC and COM objects even though I mostly browse to my dlls for referencing. This is big pain because I have to wait till it builds the list. Why not default to the browse tab and build the other stuff in the background?

Can you please post high-res screenshots?

41. Simone says:

I really love the possibility to work on more than one display, but I’m not really sure how many consultants will be able to use it. I’m a consultant, I change project every month, and I work at the customer, and my office is my laptop. I’ll never be able to work on multi display. Did you find a way to enhance the experience of users working in my same scenario?

42. Microsoft’s Jason Zander revealed in his blog a few new shots that portray the new look for Visual Studio

43. Des says:

I can’t handle all the toolbars and menus any more.

please, please, please start using an office style ribbon UI!

44. Hi,

This looks great but I hope it will also deliver better performance than previous versions.

I’d love to see a compile of my 200K project in a snap and not in 3 minutes, loading of 5000K unit tests in 1 second not 30s, opening of a solution with 50 projects in 5 seconds not 2 minutes and automatic checkout of a file from TFS done in the background not putting a wait dialog on the screen if my TFS is miles away.

Also, changing betwen Debug/Release to happen in a fraction of time, compilation with Code Analysis turned on in 1 second not 50s per project and so on.

Also, while building, running unit tests, deploying or doing any other background work the Text Editor + menus should work perfectly and not stumble while waiting for the C# compiler to finish or DB Project to deploy.

ME, the person behind the screen&keyboard I’m the most important piece of the puzzle and VS should focus on ME and allowing me to do my tasks as efficiently as possible. Every "please wait" should dissapear.

We love every new functionality but we spend more and more time looking at a blank screen, a waiting cursor or watching helplesly how the editor picks up out key-presses one every 3 seconds.

Oh, multi-screen should include stuff like "snap to other top-level windows" so I can arrange my workspace nicely. Maybe even a Delphi-like UI workspace-less with every tool window a top-level window and no background behind might be nice if windows can easily snap together.

Thanks,

Corneliu.

45. Today the new UI was presented at VS Live in San Francisco . I saw it through the Redmond News article . Screenshots Jason Zander has screenshots on his blog with the new look and feel in VS 2010 . The new UI was built using WPF. I think that Microsoft

46. John Schroedl says:

Woo! Rock Scroll lives!!!!!!

But why call it "Structure Margin"? *snif*

47. NedKelly says:

I really do not like the triangles.  The +/- minus as we have in VS already is easy to see and interpret – unlike the Vista style triangles.

48. Soum says:

Have you considered providing a built-in color scheme that switches the code editor to have a dark background. Manually switching the colors may sometimes cause certain not-regularly-required things to get missed, which springs up surprises occasionally.

49. progg.ru says:

Thank you for submitting this cool story – Trackback from progg.ru

50. Peter says:

What’s the point of asking questions if there are no answers? Not even a ‘can’t say now’ reply…

51. Jasonz says:

Thanks for the great suggestions and comments, keep ‘em coming!

Jon – we do plan to release full setup builds in future releases in addition to the VPC images.  We’ve had requests for both.

Drew/Amr – we’ll make sure to include more shots of the UI.  I demo’d the bits on stage at VS live this morning, so you’ll be able to get a firsthand look when the beta comes out.

Chris – with WPF we do have the ability to change the look and feel.  A major piece of the engineering work for using WPF was to consolidate our usage of fonts  & colors internally with our designers.  We’ve gotten that mostly finished.  For this version we aren’t likely to add a lot of extra skinning to begin with, but will look at doing more in the future.

Arne – I definitely expect us to keep expanding the multi-monitor features going forward.  The key new thing here is the ability to move your documents to other monitors (possible only with tool windows in the past).

Enrique – we haven’t published a formal schedule for the beta yet.  The demos I did this morning at VS Live in San Francisco were from current beta bits we are working on locking down.  At this point all of our beta features are completed and we are in the performance tuning and bug fix stabilization period.  As an analogy, this stage of a milestone is equivalent to when the flight crew asks you to stow portable electronics so the plane can land.

Several folks pointed out the they weren’t a fan of the triangles.  One thing that is unclear from the screen shot is that when you hover in a region of code, the outline of that region (under the triangle) is outlined in dark gray.  This is the equivalent of the line you would have always on in <= VS2008.  When you get the beta, please do try and it and see if it resolves your concerns.  We definitely want to hear your feedback.

Sai – when you hover over the […] in a collapsed region of code, we actually do pop the entire buffer contents so you can preview it before you expand it.

Robert – the default font for the beta is Consolas.  This a ClearType font which should make it very readable and reduce eye strain.

Simone – in addition to the multi-monitor support the new editor has also been updated with WPF.  With that I expect to build out a lot of editor extensions that will light up data.

Corneliu – thanks for the feedback on performance and where it is impacting you.  We have a lot of performance work planned during the VS2010 product cycle and are working on making things responsive

Soum – thanks for the suggestion

Peter – sorry if I missed your question, please feel free to ping me directly (through this blog) if there is something I missed

Thanks,

Jason

52. Kevin says:

Looking good, looking good indeed :)

I hope I haven’t missed this question, but one of the things I’d really like to see (and others in my team too) is a better way to manage the tabs, when you have multiple files open for editing. It gets a bit clunky when you have more than 15 or so open. I often need to work with a LOT of tabs at once, especially during refactors and code reviews etc. Besides, it also makes me look busier 😉

53. necros says:

Looks good, but it would be nice to get some full size screen shots rather than thumbnails :-(

54. Please implement the Ribbon and get rid of all the separate toolbars.  It would also be nice if the functionality of the Office Add-in (Search Command) was part of the new Ribbon.  This really makes finding things in the office ribbon easy, and it could do the same for the ribbon in VS.

The more performance you can get the better, once the final features are implemented put 100% into optimizing the heck of out if.

55. RightPaddock says:

Not convinced of the triangles either

My principle concern is UI performance, everything I’ve done in WPF is slower than equivalent WinForm code, that includes code from so called WPF experts.  Hopefully VS2010 will prove me wrong and show us that WPF code can me just as efficient, pity we won’t actually get to see that code.

Please give us the option of replacing the menus & toolbars with Ribbons,  Initially hated Ribbons, now I groan every time I switch from a Ribbon UI to a Menu & Toolbar UI.

Multiple monitor support is welcome, but I already forked out for a 30" tube for development  and a 24" tube for admin & browsing, I’m running out of real estate.

I second Kevin’s plea for better tab management, an option to stack them vertically would be nice, and to lock them in a fixed ordinal position.

56. Jordan says:

Just yesterday I was cursing about not VS not supporting multiple monitors. Today I rejoice. When will office become multimon friendly?

57. Recently at VSLive! San Francisco 2009 new Visual Studio 2010 key features were presented by Jason Zander

58. Jens says:

I’m also not yet conviced about the triangles instead of +/-.  I hope that when playing with the beta it’ll resolve my concern, but if it doesn’t I hope it won’t be too late in  the game to change it back to how it is now …

59. Visual Studio 2010 UI: WPF to the Max…

60. Peter Morris says:

Coming from Delphi what I miss in VS is the ability to search for an item in the tool box.

I don’t like having to trawl through loads of categories to find what I am looking for, I want to press a short cut to focus a search input in the tool box, type

Grid

and then have all items with the word Grid in them to be displayed.  Move the selection up/down with my cursor keys and hit Enter to add it to the currently selected control in the designer.

It’s so much slower in VS having to look through those categories.

61. Richard H says:

Fantastic to see that ribbon HASN’T made it into the IDE.  It must be the biggest cause of lost productivity in the history of the PC?

62. Guti says:

Incredible look-good IDE. Almost perfect.

63. A new look for Visual Studio 2010.

64. Hírcsatorna says:

Sokminden történik mostanság, szemezgessünk egy kicsit: Zajlik a VSLive konferencia San Fransisco -ban

65. kovshenin says:

Looks cool, can’t wait to upgrade!

66. Jonesy says:

Does this mean you have fixed the WPF blurry font rendering issue? otherwise we are all going to have major eye strain??

67. resolver says:

More bugs and very slow. After first SP it maybe get better.

68. DotNetBurner.com – news and articles about .net DotNetBurner

69. steffen says:

i’m still missing an useful class browser like eclipse has one ..

70. GRiNSER says:

Will there be some smooth, good looking and non distracting animations/transitions in the UI to show off what developers can usefully do with WPF? I think this is important to win developers over to the plattform and to compete with say Apple in terms of user experience. Dev’s seeing cool stuff in a flagship app as it is Visual Studio will likely add those things to their own apps which makes a better plattform experience for all Windows users…

71. For Visual Studio 2010 we have revamped the development environment to provide a cleaner, easier to use,

72. Patrick says:

Eat your own dog food at last…

It’s nice that some of the code editor improvements that have been in Java IDEs for years are finally coming to VS.

73. Lerato Chakale says:

I like the look and feel,

Especially if you get to play with more than one screen, i can edit my layout while i’m adding code to it at the same time …. owesome.

With that layout, i can just imgine how even better it’s gonna look on Windows 7.

74. Kim says:

Pretty please with sugar on top:

Make highlighting of braces/curly braces work! E.g. If my cursor is on an opening brace, highlight the other one. Other editors can do this, so you should be able to do it too…

Also, as promised: Don’t forget your unmanaged code people (C/C++), as you did with VS2008. We need love too. 😉

Looking at the UI this seems nice, but I hope there’s not only form, but also function. I don’t need all the the bling, I need to work efficiently.

75. Mel Grubb says:

Just make sure we can change the background color of the explorer and property windows.  I’m one of those "dark background" guys, and I want to be able to apply this to everything, not just the code window.

As for the triangle glyphs… maybe I’d need to experience them first-hand, but I kind of like the current outlining style.

76. joe says:

How about a new icon for the taskbar so 2003, 5,  8, 10 dont all look the same at a glance?

77. Can’t wait to start playing around with it. Looks great!

78. dustinson says:

I’ve been eagerly awaiting this IDE since reading

I’m a visual learner/instructor, and have implemented the diagramming model for Concept Fifteen: Visual Stack in my presentations.

Is there any future for this concept?

79. Piet says:

I’ve just purchased Vs2008 and got used to it, now you changing again!

80. Steven says:

And I thought Office Ribbons were to be the norm …

81. hinshelm says:

Well Piet, if you are going to be late to the party… don’t be surprised that have all moved on to the next venue!

82. John says:

I really don’t like those triangles – please reconsider the + and – which are far clearer and easier to understand.

83. Thank you for submitting this cool story – Trackback from DotNetShoutout

84. Richard says:

I find that Visual Studio has been doing multi-monitor side-by-side code editing quite nicely since at least VS2003. Simply don’t maximise the application, drag it to fill both monitors, and have two Vertical tab groups: one on the left monitor, one on the right… :)

85. Richard says:

Forgot to say that I also don’t like the look of the triangles. Even bearing in mind what Jason has said about the hovering/greying – with the old approach you can see the region just by looking. With the new approach, you need to move the mouse to a very specific location to find out…

86. Ingmar says:

I code in VB and love the edit and continue feature in debug mode. On the first screen shot I see the familiar green triangle button for run with debugger attached, followed by selection pull downs for debug/release x32/x64/any. Could we instead have two buttons that each combine all three of the prior, i.e. [Set config to x32 + debug + compile + run with debugger attached] (so I can use edit and continue); and [Set config to x64 + release + compile + run without debugger attached] (so I can run as fast as possible and load big datasets).

That would be fantastic (and easy to add), would even reduce the visual clutter, if as consequence we get rid of the config selectors.

87. .NET Bits says:

Find below , a post from Jason Zander with some screen shots http://blogs.msdn.com/jasonz/archive/2009

88. Olá pessoal tudo bem com vocês, agora chega de carnaval e vamos voltar com tudo :). Para começar vejam

89. Sean says:

These pictures are too small. Could we get some larger ones?

90. I have the same problem as Peter Morris: please provide a way to quickly select an item in the toolbox either using incremental search or a search box. Yesterday I lost about 10 minutes searching for a component until I found it in a category where I must have accidently dropped it. And keep improving the performance!

I’m really looking forward to this release.

91. Para todos aquellos que están esperando la salida del nuevo Visual Studio , o que quieren ir viendo que

92. DanFromWaterloo says:

Please, please, please make it easy to make FAST.  VS2K8 is a beast that chews up a ton of resources most of us don’t use.

I’d love it if it were as fast as, say, UltraEdit, to load – or AT LEAST strippable so that I can cripple a number of the heavy duty features to make it that fast.

(Please).

93. AndrewSeven says:

The thing about the triangles isn’t about what extra stuff happens, its about the visual element that we must see and click on.

When I saw the first request for a Ribbon-like UI, I thought it was sarcasm. Please do not take away the menus and replace them with a Ribbon; add an optional Ribbon mode for those who like it.

The thing to fix with the toolbars is to stop them from causing a resize when switching from one kind of document to annother.  I currently use a couple custom toolbars to "reserve" some space and prevent the resizing.

94. Tore Bostrup says:

Triangles for collapsed code regions – there’s *nothing* intuitive or helpful about it.  The +/- concept is intuitive, and the always visible line shows the region at a glance.  Just because some graphics designer thinks a +/- sign is boring doesn’t make some glyph a better choice!

Tabs (for windows) – I haven’t played with the CTP, so I don’t know how good/bad it is.  However, previous versions of VS and SSMS have chosen probably the least useful approach for anyone keeping more than a few tabs open at a time.  Dynamic tab positioning means I never know where to look for a particular tab, drop down list of tabs doesn’t show what I need to see, and as I check a few different ones they move so I lose track of which ones I have inspected to find the one I want.  Give me fixed position tabs (as an option?), and let me easily reorganize them.  Allow multiple (specify max) tab rows, and give me a tab browser (Powerpoint slide sorter, anyone?).

Multiple Monitor Support – Great.  But does anyone at Microsoft’s VS team remember the old "Single Document Interface" in VB Classic?  With it, the entire screen real estate would be available to the window I was working on/in.  The menu would be separate, and every window could have its own optimal size.  VS Fly-outs are OK, but have their own issues, so I wind up pinning some and pinning/unpinning others.  Some form of SDI or "independent workspaces" could make for improved productivity regardless of monitor count.

I do hope the WPF forms designer gets a major overhaul.  I much prefer to draw my UIs as opposed to coding them, and everyone using WPF for a while seems to switch to XAML.  Except for those using Blend – another counterintuitive tool for a poor developer.

Ribbon/Menu – I have developed a preference for the Office ribbon as well – just make sure *all* the current functionality can be easily found.

Coolness is cool, but I get paid to get the job done.

95. int19h says:

Regarding WPF blurry fonts problem – see here:

To summarize:

– text issues should be fixed in WPF 4.0 (part of .NET 4.0)

– VS2010 is built using .NET 4.0

– VS2010 shouldn’t have ugly blurry fonts

Whether we’ll see the fix in beta1 or not is another question…

96. xor says:

unfortunately, the pictures are to small to look at the details…

97. MikeFromBC says:

I agree with Tore’s comment re the usage of a triangle vs +/- to represent collapsed code regions.  +/- is  much more intuitive than some silly triangle.

This wasn’t broke – don’t fix it!

Put the +/- back!

98. Adar Wesley says:

A few people mentioned the Ribbon as a desired feature.  I would like to cast my weight against the Ribbon.  I hate it.  I have been using Office 2007 for about 2 years now and I still have trouble finding commands.  This is about commands I used to be able to find blind fold in previous Office versions.

Love the multi-monitor support.

Would love to have the default of Visual Studio build only the "Out Of Date" projects in the solution.  Supposedly, this is supported in VS2008.  However, as far as I can tell it’s not the default and I can’t for the life of me find how to set this option.

Compiling only "Out Of Date" projects should be the default and should be dead easy to configure.

99. danieldsmith says:

The triangle glyphs must (MUST!) be changed back to the +/- glyphs.  The feedback on this is crystal clear.  We’re not talking about code preview abilities, we’re talking about the actual glyphs themselves.

Just because Vista went down the wrong route of switching to triangles does NOT mean it’s a good idea to jump off the same cliff.

A) Psychologically the triangles are a smaller surface area to hit with the mouse.  This is a basic UI usability concept.  Even if you’re not conscious of it, people tend to aim for the glyph itself, even if you are able to click anywhere in the glyph’s bounding whitespace area.  It’s simply more taxing to hit a triangle than a square of the same size.

B) The triangles don’t make as much sense as the simple to comprehend +/- glyphs.

I really, really hope you take the feedback on these arrows seriously, as they’re a real nuisance, and they’re distracting from an otherwise great job of updating the Visual Studio IDE.

100. rh says:

This looks excellent – looking forward to the new UI!

101. Joe says:

Should have added the ribbon UI of office. :)

102. Patrik Malmquist says:

It’s strange that linenumber change if you expand throgh "the tiangle" It ought to be the same numbers of lines even if it visualize code expanded. would be better if you it was 418-435. It will be strange when your looking for a specifik line that change if something else i expanded or not?

103. Charles says:

one improvement i would like to see is the default color used to highlight a file in the solution explorer if you are working in that file. Currently the default color is almost non-existant. It makes it quite difficult to see which file you are working with. When files that have the same name (Default.aspx anyone?) from different projects are open, this can be frustrating. I know it seems small, but it happens quite frequently when I am doing bug fixes for projects i did not originally write.

104. Visual Studio developers got their first look at a new user interface that has been created for Visual

105. Tikriausiai did�ioji j�s� dalis �ino, kad Visual Studio 2010 CTP tur�jo pilnai perra&scaron;yta su WPF pradin� sprendimo puslap� bei kodo redaktori�. Tuo pa�iu metu �jo kalba ir apie pagrindini� lang� perra&scaron;ym�. &Scaron;iandien <A id=ctl00___ctl..

106. Adam says:

Just another person voicing their concern over the triangles vs +/- issue.

The triangles used in windows explorer on vista are perhaps one of my least favorite things about the operating system. PLEASE DO NOT USE THESE TRIANGLES.

As mentioned about 20 times before, they are hard to understand, and hard to click. That being said, bigger triangles is not a solution.

Furthermore, by not showing the outlined regions, its unclear exactly what those triangles do. You mentioned that the outlined region will show when you mouse over the triangle, however, this is something that should be seen at a glance. And lets be honest… how many of us are using a mouse at all when we code?

If you still plan to make this the new behavior, please offer an option to revert to the current +/- system we have today.

107. web says:

Good looking!

Another reason to code with it now!

108. Konstantin says:

I vote for +/- instead of triangles.

If you want to add some feature there, add some graphical element that indicates how much code is collapsed. When I look at the code and see 5 [+], I always wonder which one has just a few lines, and which one has few hundreds. If you add some color indicator or some icon with logarithmic-scale-bar, it will save me lot’s of time – I will see immediately which block contains the main functionality, and which ones – just a single line of code with no logic.

109. K# says:

A first look at Visual Studio 2010

110. I’m here at VSLive! at the BEAUTIFUL Hyatt Regency at Embarcadero Center in San Francisco. I love this

111. Anonymous Developer says:

It’s built on WPF? Does that mean that we’re stuck with WPF’s god awful anti-aliasing?

112. Blix says:

Very nice GUI overall. I especially like the new colors, tabs and the facts that it’s made with wpf. Good choice!

However, I think the triangles don’t work. I see no reason at all to replace the old +/- symbols. Agreed, there is certainly room for improvement in this area  but triangles aren’t the solution. Mostly because a triangle could be anything. It’s a symbol that, in this case, doesn’t immediately tell the user what is does. It’s not intuitive.

But overall a very good job on the Ui :-) !

113. Rajiv says:

Damn Cool. Charge 10x for the increased productivity

114. Paul Cornell says:

Visit Jason Zander’s blog to see the latest Visual Studio 2010 screen shots. See http://blogs.msdn.com/jasonz/archive/2009/02/20/a-new-look-for-visual-studio-2010.aspx

115. an_phu says:

I second that request for higher resolution.

116. mga says:

RockScroll!  :)  Hope all it’s features make it in.

The multi-mon improvements sound nice.

117. PDM says:

Keep +-

Highlight matching braces

Refresh properties window faster in dual design of asp.net

Better tab scrolling on hover or tile more rows

Easier new control install than Ajax pieces of the puzzle

Search all classes for missing references on error

Better help and templates for web services as well as deploying for shared API

118. kabdib says:

I’d really like to have keyboard macros that (to put it bluntly) do not suck.

– they should be fast

– they should be very easy to make

The current key macro system takes *seconds* to execute.  Key binding is incredibly painful.

I use macros all the time in Emacs to do simple, immediate repetitive tasks.  I don’t even bother with macros in VS; they’re tough to define, and glacial.

[Please note that I’m not saying I want VS to become Emacs.  That’d be crazy.  I just think that VS would be dramatically improved if its macro system was actually usable]

119. Yesterday saw the first screenshots emerge of the new WPF version of Visual Studio 2010. You can see

120. Alastair says:

Are there changes to the programming model for extension developers (please!)

121. Dimi says:

Will VS 2010 be also available for Windows XP?

122. Beim lesen meiner Feeds habe ich den Verweis von Mike Taulty auf Jason Zander’s Blog Eintrag gefunden:

123. Quest Software vient d’annoncer la fourniture d’un plugin pour VSTS 2010 pour permettre de supporter

124. Ira says:

Jason, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do something about those office 2003 icons in the toolbar.

I know you guys are loathe to overhaul all the icons, but at least update the icons in the toolbar

125. Just another VS developer says:

Very nice – but please no triangles!

126. Boris says:

Will there be active line highlighting ? That would be cool…

127. Mladen Mihajlovic says:

My suggestions:

1. The triangles need to go. The +- glyphs were much better. But not just that. I would also miss the lines (the one’s on which the +-‘s were on) which clearly showed where each block starts and ends. Sometimes it is much easier to look for those then to look at the {} brackets.

2. The fonts (WPF blurriness) will be a huge issue if they are not resolved by the time this comes out.

3. How about a maximise button on each tool window as well as each document window (like eclipse and netbeans.) I find these invaluable as when I am focusing on a window I would like it to take ALL the real estate so that I am not distracted.

5. It would be great if you could open a whole new "shell" when dragging a tab off the main shell. Kind of like Chrome.

6. The line numbering is all of a sudden a different background colour from the main doc? Why? You mentioned reduced clutter – I think this work against that (even though I’m sure you can change it in the settings, make it default the same colour)

7. I’m a huge fan of changing colour schemes pretty much everywhere, so please don’t limit this feature. One problem I had with VS2005 and VS2008 was that some elements’ background colours could not be changed (eg collapsed regions.) I would love it if you could do this in VS2010.

Thanks for listening… 😉

128. Bill says:

Great looking screen shot. Some comments:

1. Triangles look like a bad idea. I will provide feedback on the beta when it comes out and I get a chance to try them.

2. Let’s fix the Add Reference dialog to update/search COM objects in the background, letting me choose my project reference in the mean time! I suspect most people rarely add COM references these days.

3. Multi-target? Can you expand on that? Framework 2.0, 3.0, 3.5 and 4.0? Or just 3-3.5-4? What about targeting framework 4.0 in vs2008?

129. Marco says:

Looks great! I would like to see an option to filter toolbox items and a possibility to add subcategories.

130. The Black says:

How about you put search box on Solution explorer tab like in Class view but without the need to hit enter to do actual search?

131. Marc says:

I wonder if Microsoft having forgotten all of the many years (and $) they have spent on UI research?

While it’s nice to see things getting an overhaul, there’s a HUGE issue with opposing contrasts within the same window – ie mixing dark text+light background (code editor) and light text+dark background (the UI).  This has been proven many times to cause eyestrain (I don’t have a source to quote to hand, see Microsoft public white papers…). One or two elements having opposite contrast is fine (eg window title bars), but I got a headache just looking at the screenshots!!

Perhaps provide a couple of WPF ‘skins’ out of the box?  (one would be ‘classic’ mode (VS9))

Hard to tell from the screenshots, but if you’re changing the UI drastically, please don’t forget us keyboard users.   Make sure EVERYTHING can be done efficiently without a mouse (ie not having to press tab 30 times to get to the box you want because someone didn’t bother adding an accelerator) – and I mean out of the box, not requiring two weeks of setting up keyboard shortcuts only to lose them all when VS crashes.

Also:

::  C) The triangles are like little arrows all over the place pointing at things, unnecessarily cluttering the view and distracting users.

There shouldn’t be anything that draws your attention to itself – and that’s exactly what the triangles do

Please keep the [+][-] as these are extremely intuitive and easy on the eye.

This also applies to the Treeview toolpanes – eg the Solution Explorer and Properties windows.

:: 4. I notice that there is now a close button on each tab. I’m pretty sure that that would be a bad idea – most people are pretty happy with the tabs being buttonless at the moment because all of a sudden I have to watch where I click on it so that I don’t accidentally close it.

The close appears to only on the ‘active’ tab, not on each tab.

Efficient programmers use the keyboard a lot more than the mouse and it’s much easier and quicker to press ctrl-f4 than try and hit a [x] which could be located anywhere, so I’m in two minds as I rarely use the [x]! It’s worth noting though that the single [x] on the right (VS9) for mouse users can also be used to close a couple of windows quickly and efficiently.

132. Chris Eargle says:

Visual Studio 2010 UI Revealed

133. Anders says:

I really hope that VS 2010 will have support for viewing dependencies in the class diagram view as reported a thousand years ago here: https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=115422

134. Coke says:

If we’re going to be stuck with sharp, hard to click triangles, can we have additional north-east facing ones at the ends of their ranges too?  This would reveal their nesting and extent, and would allow sections to be collapsed when only their bottoms are scrolled into view.  For even more points, clamp their vertical positions to the visible area so you can even collapse multi-page sections even when only their middles are showing.

135. Peter says:

Let me echo Mladen Mihajlovic post; I agree with everything he said (spooky).

136. Mott says:

Wow, definitely looking forward to the floating windows/multiple monitors support. My work and home machines both have dual monitors yet VS2008 really only works well on one at a time.

137. pbz says:

If I’ll be able to quickly edit ASPX files without the browser blocking me for 10s whenever it feels like it. If I’ll be able to quickly switch to design view without waiting for many seconds — and sometimes not even working. If I’ll be able to have a faster experience from when I press F5 and actually can debug the site. If I’ll be able to work for 30 minutes without having to restart the IDE. If I’ll be able to work with VS without noticing it… then I’ll be happy.

138. Rod Howarth says:

Looks great, can’t wait to try it out!

139. Shane says:

VS2010 looks lovely!  I can’t wait to get my hands on it 😀

140. Matt Watson says:

I can’t wait. It looks awesome!

141. Wilson says:

VS2010 looks great…Performance and Triangles issue they already mentions and i agree too.

Besides that, just a little suggestion for VS2010;

In VS2008 UI, by default Design pane will show on Top and XAML pane will show on bottom…

Horizontal Split and Vertical Split function were just nice which allow us to make it left and right.

However I think we should have 3 options button which are "Design", "XAML" and "Design & XAML" instead of "Collapse Pane" button

If I just want to show the XAML pane, I need 2 steps. First, Swap pane first; second click on "Collapse Pane" button. Actually, it is quite troublesome for me because I need to swap pane and collapse always.

In this case, if VS2010 can provide something like these options then we can just click a button to change the structure to display the pane.

Thanks :)

142. Jasonz says:

Julian – I believe the BIDs issues is resolved (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/959800).  Let me know if this doesn’t resolve your issue.

Jordan – I’d like the exact same thing <g>  right now only Outlook has that support, everything else lives inside the main window

Peter – we are trying to add Search in more places, I agree this would be very useful.  We have this in Expression Blend for example.

Jonesy/int19h – the font issue is being worked on.  Unfortunately this is not likely to make our first beta, however it will be part of the RTM.  That of course means it will be fixed for NETFX 4.0.

GRiNSER – that is sincerely my hope as well.  There is a lot of cool things we can enable with WPF. For the beta, we are working more on locking down the architecture.  Look for more light up components coming as our VSIP partners jump on board.

Kim – We actually do highlight curly braces already, it may feel a little subtle as a light gray color.  The new editor applies to C/C++ as well.  We’re doing a lot of work in the IDE for C/C++ work in VS2010.

Alastair – there are indeed updates to the editor for developer extensions.  The beta will have docs and the new API’s to work with.

Dimi – VS2010 will indeed work on Windows XP.

Bill – Multi-targeting supports V2.0, 3.0, 3.5, and 4.0.  Adding support for NETFX 4 in VS2008 is not something we are planning.

The colors in the margin for text were first added in VS2005 (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/88fx1xy0(VS.80).aspx). I’ve copied the relevant text here for reference:

“Track Changes   You can see where you have edited a file in the current IDE session. Edits are identified by a visual indicator in the margin. Lines that have been edited or lines adjacent to deleted lines are marked. When the margin is highlighted yellow, this means that the line was edited and the file has yet to be saved. If the margin is highlighted green, it means that you have saved the file since the line was edited.”

143. Ajay Pathak says:

this looks really good for vs developers

144. Ajay Pathak says:

this looks really good for vs developers

145. Mladen Mihajlovic says:

Wilson: You can also double click on the XAML or Design tabs – which will maximise them.

146. Mladen Mihajlovic says:

Jasonz: I wasn’t talking about the track changes colours, but the light gray background of the magin… until now it has been defaulted to white – which fits with the basic background of the document. With the new colour the margin sticks out quite a bit.

147. kawasaki says:

I mainly work on the UI part..Has there been any major changes in the names or wordings of user controls and their respective properties(for ex:datagrid and gridview had a lot of changes btw them..though they were minor..sometimes they r confusing)

148. Fenster says:

everytime i start new VS project microsoft relases a new version of VS ;).. I am to slow for MS haha.. The New features look nice!

149. Paul Stancer says:

Will we be able to open multiple code tabs on different monitors in the new version. Kinda clucky having to open 2 instances of VS in the current version.

150. linux_fan says:

<lol>You’re thing it’s great? yeah?

How much does it cost?

People, you have to trying Linux and soft for Linux.

Compiz Fusion give you better effects.

and… you can have without money!

Use free software, be free

151. If you want to get a glimpse of VS 2010 with WPF features take a look at Jason&#39;s blog: http://blogs

152. Well, I love the VS2010 editor. It is really cool, so make sure that you pay a visit here . But looking

153. Patrick says:

Will Visual Studio continue to support extensibility through non-managed code for the foreseeable future? That is, will managed code become the only way to implement VSPackages?

154. aconnell says:

Very disappointed there is no fluent UI (Office Ribbon). If any app would benefit from it, it’s easily Visual Studio. A results driven UI would be great for an app that’s loaded with so many features and functionality.

155. ReBitting says:

Visual Studio 2010 e 8 GB di ram

156. ¡Hola! Microsoft sigue apostando, según mi humilde opinión, por su producto estrella: el Visual Studio.

157. Kian Ryan says:

Okay, I’m impressed.  The UI really could have done with a refresh in 2008 and the multi-monitor support is something we’ve been gasping for for a while.

I’m liking the palette and the overall L&F.  I’m excited to get my hands on some previews.

158. Mark Heath says:

Nice, but it looks like the syntax highlighter has missed the if keyword on line 403 in the first screenshot. 😉

159. Kosher says:

Time for you to get a raise.  Great work!

160. Bobby says:

Wow those buttons on the Extension Manager are really, really big – afraid someone might miss them?

161. Shilpa says:

Ultimate look!!!

I like the colouring feature of editor for the modified text.

162. murat says:

i want to performance not look

163. burton says:

just wanted to add my NO vote on the triangles for code outlining.

also, would like to see an option to only display collapsed toolwindows on click as opposed to on mouseover.  I get very annoyed (about 20 times a day it seems) when i accidentally overshoot the scroll bar, try to close a document, or something like that, and end up activating a toolwindow that takes 5-10 seconds to initialize itself, distracting my mental and visual focus.

also, PLEASE, work on async loading of the toolbox, add components to toolbox dialog, and add reference dialog!

164. Mark Gordon says:

I much rather Microsoft work on fixing many of the issues with the product instead of UI fluff. Starting with performance, adding a data centric language, inheritance issues especially with UI controls, N-TIER issue with LINQ, implement a class browser that is useful, fixing the intellisense bugs in C++…. I can go on but I hope you get the point.

While I’m not knocking what you are doing I think the priorities are out of whack is all.

165. Archi says:

Jason Zander posted a blog post about Visual Studio 2010 New Look which is built on WPF technology in…

166. Daniel Persson says:

I guess I’m very old fashioned but I just don’t like it when the UI keeps changing so drastically between each version. I still prefer Visual Studio 2005. Nice discrete blue color on the menus and the other UI elements were very discrete and easy to look at. VS 2008 totally bloats the interface with too much color. This looks something in between.

Is it only me that prefers a simple clean UI or does everyone prefer flashy colors, ribbons, fading and other "flashy" features?

For me I spend a lot of time in front of VS. It’s really annoying with lots of different colors and other features that don’t really add any value…

167. Greg L says:

We really need increased performance with large solutions (40+ projects)

make Right-click -> go to definitions work when navigating between c# and vb code

Improve performance when switching build configuration debug/release

Everything said in above comments about references…plus:

Restore the ‘references’ folder as a first class citizen in solution explorer rather than having to first click "view all" to reveal the folder.

A better way to manage references for multi-project solutions.  It’s cumbersome at best to go through each project and check references individually, especially when you need to see a property like its reference path.

Definitely please reconsider the triangles.  I might be able to live with them but not the new collapsed code block look.  It makes it much harder to see and understand your code layout at a glance.

168. Hui Zhang says:

Looks very nice and cool.

My concern is also performance. Hopefully there is not any bug related WPF when develop programs.

169. vs2008 says:

even ive just upgraded to 2008……huh… now again will have to 2010

170. Kristi says:

I like the look of Visual Studio 2010. Its also nice to be able to edit the form and the code without constantly control-tabbing evey few moments. Cant’ wait until its out!

171. Joe says:

Not a fan of flat UIs, but will just shrug IF you actually make VS2010 the next 6. This means lean, mean and fast. I use VC++ 6.0 daily for legacy reasons–it drives me mostly nuts (though WndTabs really helps) except for the awesome class wizard AND how fast and small the resulting executables are as compared to VS 2005/2008 (oh, and the everlastingly stupid Win SxS crap designed by morons.)

VS 2008 does create smaller code than 2005, but it still doesn’t come close to that created by 6 for exactly the same code using the same settings (like eliminating the very broke stack check and RTTI.) I have determined that a big problem is the extremely poorly written CRT startup and quite a bit of bloat in the CRT itself. The linker is also doing something bizarre that I can’t quite figure out, but how Microsoft’s C/C++ linkers work has always been overly complicated.

One think you guys don’t seem to get is that many of us stick with C++ because we require small, tight, fast executables with lots of direct control. If I want bloat, I’ll use C# (and where bloat doesn’t matter, I often do. If speed, size and hyper-control don’t matter, you’d be nuts not to use C#.)

So, yes, make the UI as clean and bug free as possible, but to really be the new 6, fix the compiler, linker and CRT (and give us the class wizard back–not a phony badly done replacement, but a capable, yet simple, class wizard.)

Oh, and will someone fix your damn wizard and other dialogs? Actually line up controls and space them according to your own design guide and, in one reported case, use radio buttons for exclusive choices, not checkboxes (oh, your developer whines, but it’s only exclusive in this one case–then freaking change out the control like professionals do!)

PS. Class wizards for WTL would be a godsend–it would be nice to make one off dialog based apps that are really lean, but don’t saddle you with all the time consuming effort of "normal" windows programming.

172. Daniel Persson says:

Joe, I haven’t made those tight comparisons you’ve made so I can’t comment on that. But it’s actually quite funny to hear. Me and lots of my friends used VS 6 for a long time after .NET came out.

Don’t get me wrong I’m all for improving UI and all that. I even love VS 2005. But I must agree that VS 6 was a really good product and in my opinion focused on a really lean and fast IDE. I get the impression that the newer VS versions gets a bit bloated since all the .NET languages and new technologies are included as well.

I’m all for including all this functinality but I really do think that you guys (MS) should try not to change the look and feel between each version and primarily focus on making a really easy to use and fast IDE. Then focus on adding all of these piles of features.

I guess all the .NET people maybe benefits more from this. But I’m a C++ programmer and there’s not many new features or changes to the UI that really make any difference for me.

173. stm says:

Using wpf for the ide is a very BAD news!

I hate font smoothing and cleartype.

Why force us to read blurry smoothed fonts on the razor sharp LCS monitors !?

Could be used this new ide with a normal (not smoothed at all) fonts?

This is not improvement,  only eye-candy…

What about the idiot tabbed document handling (opening tabs on the left), will this be fixed?

174. Hi Jason,

Please include the option to navigate between "full code view" or "procedure view", like vb6 does.

This mode is very helpfull while you look for a code.

175. Apple lanza una beta de Safari 4 El nuevo look de Visual Studio 2010 : Preparaos a mejorar la CPU y RAM

176. Deepak says:

Can’t wait to play with the new CTP.

177. bigpalooka says:

Please, please, don’t bring in Office ribbons.  If there’s ever been a production killer, it’s the ribbon.

178. Andrew F says:

+1 for better Performance – in terms of running unit tests, opening large solutions and compilation of large solutions

look to Eclipse JDT to the kind of scalability you should be aiming for with C# – maybe not in time for 2010 but at some point in the future

179. Hitesh says:

Hi, It is great to see new VS 1020 GUI, but there is a lot to be done for developers from developers perspective. For example: How can I have only procedure view like Visual Studio 6 (VB6). i.e Is it possible for deleveloper to concentrate only on function/procedure part he/she currently coding and hiding out rest of the code.

I would like to have all time great feature of VB6 IDE(procedure view and full module view options in VS2010 editior.

180. Subbu says:

pl don’t release VS 2010 without "full module view" or "procedure view" feature like VB6. It is very imp need for any developer.

It is really very scray to see 1000+ lines of code when you want to just fix a bug or change a line of code in just one or two procedure!!!

Just think abt this feaure seriously!

Waiting to hear from you soon, Janson.

Subbu

181. Hitesh says:

Pl provide a toggle key to open / close any docking window like solution explorer / property window etc.

If I press CTRL+R it shows "solution explorer" but there is no option to close it using keyboard. One has to use mouse click to close such windows and this is very irritating. If Ctrl+R is used to open window then pressing CTRL+R again should close it. That way toggling is very developers friendly! Isn’t it?

Hitesh

182. Primeros screenshots de la nueva interface en Visual Studio 2010

183. Damir Valiulin says:

As a seasoned MFC developer, what I would really like to see in upcoming VS 2010 are productivity features that we had in VC 6!

Please, bring back Class Wizard! OK, that’s a really far stretch, I know, but it was really handy feature that allowed one to add bunch of variables, overrides and messages handles in one shot!

At the very least, please fix the current way (as of VS2008) of adding things to classes! Currently, if I want to add a message handler to an MFC derived class I have to left click on the class in Class View, then make sure that Property window is open (which I really hate!), then click on little "Messages" button on the toolbar of the Property window. Then after I pick a message I want to handle, I am immediately thrown into code window with .cpp file open. To add another, I need to left-click again on class, then on "Messages", etc.

Now imagine if you need to add at least 10 of these to the same class???

When it comes to editing resources, Properties window is another productivity killer! Sure, it maybe easy to code for your VS developers, since it’s the same multi-purpose control, but its usability is far worse than that of a dialog.

Property dialog windows in VC6 were well designed. Groups were organized in tabs which you could quickly navigate with keyboard using Ctrl+TAB. Also being a visual person I can easily remember locations of properties I need. "It’s that combo-box on second tab, somewhere in lower left corner". It’s possible because a typical property dialog has a good mix of textboxes, comboboxes and checkboxes. With the grid control like in current VS Property window it is not so easy. Everything looks at glance like a big pile of text fields. So memorizing locations visually for quick access is almost impossible!

Please consider making some improvements in these areas for better usability.

P.S. Decided to actually read some comments and I totally agree with burton (on March 3, 2009 4:57 PM) about annoying Toolbox Window initializing on accidental mouse over. Also, found other people who agree (Joe on March 5, 2009 1:26 PM) about Class Wizard being the best ever.

P.S.2. Add my vote for +/- versus triangles. And add my vote against contrasting UI with lots of dark elements. If you go that route, add "Classic" look like VS2005 or VS2008 with more subdued overall tones.

Thanks,

Damir Valiulin

184. After the ALT.NET Conference , I spent the week attending the MVP Summit. It was great to meet in person

185. I hate ribbons says:

Looks really cool.

Ribbon Bars:  THANK YOU for *NOT* forcing ribbon bars on us!!!  Ribbon bars were the absolute WORST design change in Office (and now in Windows 7).  Again, THANK YOU for NOT putting that crap in my favorite development environment.  THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!!

Add References — I agree.  Don’t force us to wait on COM and GAC… rarely, if EVER do I use those!

Fonts – Courier New is the WORST.  Programming fonts should be sans sarif.  I’ve tried lots, but I keep going back to FixedSys.  It’s thick enouogh that the white background doesn’t wash it out.  I’m glad to see you’re not defaulting to Courier New.

Multi-threaded UI:  Yes, I agree with other posters here:  We DEFINITELY need VS to be UI Thread smart.  I’m tired of having to wait forever after accidentally compiling a very large solution (as well as all of the other "wait on me" features in VS).

WPF editing:  I don’t want to EVER have to mess with XAML.  Please give us a fully functional visual editor.  XAML, as far as I’m concerned, is the same thing as compiled code.  I’m not going to mess with the bytes in an EXE, even though I may have "more control" over my program and I’m not going to mess with XAML.  Remember, this is *VISUAL* studio, not *Hack it with a text file* Studio.  I’ve avoided getting into WPF because of this.  I’ve got enough work to do and don’t have time to waste on hacking a text file.

I hope it doesn’t have the same problem that VS2008 has where sometimes when I click on a visual component in a winform or a webform, that it just sits there for 2 minutes eating up CPU and beating up my HD (I’ve got 7GB RAM, BTW & XP Pro 64bit), then sometimes comes back and sometimes crashes.

I hope that when I’m in MDI view (I don’t use the tabbed view) that when I don’t have my windows maximized, and I click on the title bar of a window that’s not up front, it doesn’t maximize it… I just want to select it (notice, I did NOT double click it… just single click).  This has been a bug since at least VS2K5.

Bringing up help is ridiculously slow in VS2008.  I hope you guys fixed that speed issue in VS2010.

Please don’t go the Delphi way by removing the containing application window.  It’s impossible to make sense of everything when all my other apps are showing through.  If you DO provide that, MAKE IT AN OPTION!!!!

Triangles:  I agree with everyone else here.  They look bad, are unintuitive, and I should NOT have to mouse over them to see what lines they’re associated with.  I think it’s pretty clear:  You’ve got to add the visuals back that let us see what lines are included in the uncollapsed region AND you need to put the +/- back in (and make them bigger).  Nobody likes Vista and I have the SAME complaints about the Vista Windows Explorer.  Coke has some great suggestions on how to improve on the +/-.

WPF UI in VS2010…  I agree with RightPaddock.  WPF UIs tend to be more sluggish than true WinForms apps.  Don’t get me wrong:  It looks great!  But performance is FAR more important than eye candy.  .NET is slower than truly compiled code too and that was the 1st thing I noticed in the original Visual Studio .NET IDE compared to the previous Visual C++ 6.0.  I’m not saying don’t do it… just reminding you to keep you eye on performance.

Dark backgrounds:  Yes, I’d like to see support for dark backgrounds.

Gray behind the line numbers.  This is GREAT!  I really like it!  Though, make it optional for people that don’t.

Big ass buttons:  Stop letting the VB6 script kiddies design your buttons! :)

OH!  Let me open and edit Visual Studio 2008, 2005, & 2003 projects AS IS *without* having to convert them!!!!

Different icons for different versions of VS for the taskbar.  Yes!  That would be awesome!

Multi-monitor support is nice, but honestly, I’ve been doing that since Visual C++ 6.0.  No complaints… just find it odd that this is considered a new feature.

Back to ribbon bar discussion:  I can’t comprehend why several people here are begging for the.  DON’T GIVE IN!!!  -=>*UNLESS*<=- you make it *OPTIONAL*.  I *SWEAR* if you force those on my in VS, I’ll start looking elsewhere… I really do hate them THAT MUCH!  Again, THANK YOU!!! for NOT putting them in there!!!!!!

186. Aviation Planning says:

I like the WPF UI, very slick.

I would PERFER a Ribbon over the menu bars, Office 2007 is GREAT!

I want the following back!:

Class Wizard

Clipboard Ring

Table view for XML

"Full Mod" vs "Proc" view

I need:

a better XAML editor, I was just doing a huge Silverlight app and I forgot how big of pain in the rear VS and Blend 2 currently are.

I don’t want:

Triangles

187. VS User says:

Please, for the love of God, do NOT put the ribbon bar in VS!!!  I switched to OpenOffice.org because of the painfully bad ribbon bars in Office.

Don’t do the triangles.  They’re confusing.  They look like arrows.

Aside from the triangles, looks spiffy.

If you DO make the proc view, don’t make it the default.  Reminds me too much of VB6, which was a toy for the inexperienced.  Aaaaaaaaand, queue the whiners and script kiddies…. :)

188. I too vote FOR Ribbon Bars.  Ribbons are much faster than menus and they help point out tools that you normally forget about.

I would also like to have an option on the context menu to run external tools.  Would be very handy to right click a file in the solution explorer and run some external tool or launch it with the default assigned program.

Also native multihead support would be great.

189. Araknia says:

I vote "No" to ribbons.  On the off chance that someone is smoking crack and decides to put them in, please make them _OPTIONAL_.  I disagree with the reasons the pro-ribbon people give.  It clutters up the UI and uses up precious real-estate.  I prefer to show and hide individual button bars for the tools I know I need.  They use much less space.  I’m an experienced developer and I don’t need hand holding or something reminding me that there’s a feature there.  I know what it does and I know what I need.  Please don’t dumb it down.

190. Hitesh says:

I would like to see gray GUIDLINES for entire code. i.e GUIDLINES for each block of codes.

– If…ELSE…ENDIF,

– LOOPS

– FUNCTIONS and PROC

– CLASS, etc, etc

This would help developers to get a good visual feedback at a glance for each block of code and helps in understanding of code flow better. (make it OPTIONAL in configuration screen)

191. Hitesh says:

There is a great debate between MENUS vs. RIBBON. If I believe to be neutral, then I would vote for ribbon interface, this control makes every feature visible to the user and also help discoverability. Office 2007 is a great example of this. Yes I also understand that many people does not like ribbon concept but in reality; its usage brings more clarity. It makes many options visible which are hidden till date behind menus. So let us think beyond obvious!

192. This Week on Channel 9, Brian and Dan discuss: – Microsoft TechFest – TechFest Project: Dynamically combine

193. Ask Dr. WPF says:

First, I have to give huge props to Microsoft for throwing an excellent party in Vegas this past week! The week was definitely packed with excitement and backed by great content. Be sure …

194. In case you missed it, Jason Zander posted a while back about the Visual Studio 2010 new look . In that

195. Here are follow up resources for Paul Sheriff’s geekSpeak on WPF for the Business Developer . Be sure

196. In February I blogged about the new look for VS2010 .&#160; You gave us a huge amount of feedback which

197. Jason Zander, the Visual Studio general manager, just posted a follow up to his post regarding the new

198. Khurram Aziz says:

Visual Studio 2010 Beta 1 is available to try. Don’t forget to download the Visual Studio 2010 and .NET