Today in the TechEd Developers Keynote in Barcelona we announced a number of new features we haven't talked about yet in Visual Studio 2010. In the keynote, I spent most of my time in the tools and little on the slides (pretty common in Developer Division <g>). I've include a basic overview of the key features covered in the keynote below.
In addition to the keynote coverage, we have also recorded an extensive set of videos for Channel 9 covering the features of VS2010. You can find these videos on the home page for Visual Studio on Channel 9 here. I have an overview session including some demos here:
You can also download the CTP bits here:
We definitely want to hear your feedback. Enjoy!
Visual Studio Team System
- Discover how your code is structured using the Architecture Explorer which walks your entire dependency map and gives you a graph of the entire system
- Build UML Sequence Diagrams of your core code
- Eliminate the 'no repro' scenario by including video of testing steps as well as historical debugging (debug after the fact)
- The new VSTS "Lab Management" produce which allows you to provision virtual instances of your environment and recover them for repro scenarios
- VS2010 has support for building SharePoint projects
- You can create imports from wsp, add event receivers, and workflow parts
- A visual designer is included to author parts using WSYWIG
- A new deployment explorer allows you to build up your deployment packages
- F5 just works!
Code Focused Features
- With VS2010 we have built in core editing and discovery features so you can do refactoring right out of the box and use test driven style development
- Quick Search allows for easy searching across projects
- Easy discovery of the call hierarchies
WPF Editor Features
- We've rebuilt a new editor in VS2010 which allows you write advanced features including rich interactive graphics
- We're using the new MEF feature of .NET 4 which allows for extensible add-ins without installation. Just xcopy and go!
New Web Features
- VS2010 will have built-in support for the new MVC framework
- Inclusion of the JQuery library including intellisense support
- New deployment helpers that include adding transforms for your web.config to avoid errors
C++ and MFC Features
- The new C++ product has support for making large projects scalable in the system with easy incremental build
- Support for code focused features including Quick Search and fast / reliable call hierarchy support
- Support for lambda's
- We wrapped up the demo by turning the class Pong MFC app into a parallel ray tracing algorithm with a Ribbon!