Don’t panic: V2.0.50727.42 is the answer…

I’m very happy to announce that we have signed off on Whidbey and it will be available later today on the MSDN down load site.  This is by far the best version of the product we have ever shipped.  There were four big themes for the CLR:  SQL integration, performance, VB RAD (e.g. Edit & Continue), and 64-bit.  I’m very proud of the team for knocking all of these out of the park.  There are also countless other cool features we added (generics, new class libraries, new security libraries, etc…).

Having the build number end with .42 was totally by luck.  I had the above title printed up on our new CLR team t-shirts last week in anticipation.  Fortunately no new escrow reset bugs were found to ruin my shirt <g>

Enjoy!

1. joshwil says:

Woo Hoo!!!

2. Juanrod says:

Congrats! 🙂

3. thushan says:

yayyy! Congrats..

4. Dan Ciruli says:

Right on! We’re installing it now. See you at the launch on November 7th!

5. Stephane Rodriguez says:

I have tried installing the .NET 2.0 redist on my box. At install time, it required to install Windows Installer 3.0 first, which brought me to a Windows Genuine Advantage page.

Hmmm.

Ok, I develop a killer app using .NET 2.0. And I am including the redist, or linking to it, in my setup. Now, what are my "potential" customers going to do only to install this app? Have to go through this all Windows Genuine Advantage thing.

I am never going to inflinge this to potential customers. And I won’t support this in my help file or so, only because Microsoft wants to improve their Windows bottom line.

That’s totally nuts. You guys are totally crazy and will have to retropedal.

Needless to say, no .NET on the client anytime soon….

6. jasonz says:

Hi Stephane – sorry for your frustration on this. The Windows Genuine Advantage check is a feature of the download page. Windows Update requires this activation as well. My understanding is the check is not built into any redist, so you can include those components with your own disc or download as per the EULA and will not get a prompt.

7. Greg says:

This is so exciting!

8. Stephane Rodriguez says:

Hi, thanks for your answer.

I have not said or suggested that the redist is built with WGA in it. But the problem is the same. Since it requires Windows Installer 3.0 (I have asked Aaron Stebner about that, if there is any way to avoid Windows Installer 3.0 to be required as part of the install), it prompts whenever applicable (my belief is : almost always in a real world case, in fact unless the user has installed very recent service packs) the user with a box which includes a link to the MS download page. Which, because it is linking to a component which is behind the WGA wall, is actually asking me as a developer to require any potential customer to go through this only to start my application.

I’ll say it again, I’m appalled. The overall experience is worse than previous .NET run-time deployments.