Mobile Phones on planes – please no…..

It may sound a surprise but I’m actually against using Mobile Phones on planes… not because of safety concerns but really because I don’t want to be sat next to some self-important idiot chatting away to their friends/colleagues for the benefit of those sat around them.  This is a common occurrence I have to endure on trains (even in the so called silent carriages) but doing this on a plane would be unbearable.

Despite all this it seems that in Europe Mobile Phone usage may become a reality.  From a recent survey a whopping 78% agreed with me and said they donโ€™t want to be seated next to someone using a mobile device.

My compromise would be to allow the use of Texting but have the device in silent mode.

What are your thoughts?

1. adebilloez says:

Oh, perhaps that Aero company may use a XML provisionning to provide mandatory silent mode and flight mode to WM device… ๐Ÿ˜‰

2. You have to see the positive side of things: you may learn a few new credit card numbers ๐Ÿ˜€

3. Gerard van der Land says:

Completely agree, unless they make a special section for people that want to make phone calls during the flight, like way in the back of the plane, and while they’re at it, they can also seat people with crying infants there. :-)

4. David Gray says:

Oh DOUBLE PLEASE NO-O-O-O!!

As i’ve said before and i’ll say it again, if you’re going to allow this, then you have to allow guns. If i can wait 5 hours for a smoke, then you, meaning whoever you THINK your self-important self to be, can wait for your next phone fix. And if no one else will clue you in, i’ll also tell you this: nobody cares if they don’t hear from you for a day. Deal with it.

5. gwyncole says:

I agree Jason, although I would like to see Internet access on flights where I can surf the net with my mobile phone or laptop…

6. Patrick says:

This is a terrible idea. This is only going to lead to a lot of heated arguments at 30,000 ft.

7. Martin Baines says:

I wonder whether tickets in the "mobiles allowed " section of the plane will cost more or less?

I am sure that as I type the corporate travel policy is being revised to ensure that whenever the company pays for the ticket an employee should always be reachable. :-)

8. Greg Lowe says:

For once it’s not us American’s that missed the boat.

9. Matthew J says:

Yes, as mentioned by some there are two models being proposed.  Voice and Data or just a Data (Texting and Internet).

I am taking a poll to see what others think!  Vote for your opinion at http://www.aviationreviews.com/

10. Rocky says:

I agree, I actually think they should built more empty phone booths at shopping malls and dinning locations and encourage people to stand inside them when they talk on their phone, because I really don’t want to hear them!

Texting and internet seems like it would be a nice feature … but please no mobile voice calls …

Comments are closed.