Today at CTIA Wireless we announced System Center Mobile Device Manager 2008.
This is something I've been desperate to share broadly so it's great too see we've finally announced it!
My webcast tonight covered this in some detail.
So what is System Center Mobile Device Manager 2008?
It provides IT departments the ability to secure and manage Windows Mobile devices. It is the first server product ever just for Windows Mobile phones and integrates with the infrastructure that organisations use to manage their existing IT infrastructure. It also allows workers to access company information and line of business applications from a single, secure place behind the firewall using a cutting edge Mobile VPN.
There are 3 core areas of capability in Systems Center Mobile Device Manager 2008.
1) SECURITY: Windows Mobile devices will be able to participate in Active Directory. They will join Active Directory and can then be managed through Group policy to allow administrators to control the features and functions of a Windows Mobile Device. You can control whether WiFi can be enabled, the camera can be used, which applications can be whitelisted or blacklisted. There are over 130 policies that can be deployed.
2) DEVICE MANAGEMENT: IT teams can manage Windows Mobile phones end-to-end through a single solution rather than many, helping save time and resources.
- Easy distribution of software over the air
- Easily add more users as needed and as solution grows
- Over the Air enrollment of devices- just type in a password and go.
- Integration with Windows Server and mobile development investments, such as AD, GP, MMC Console, Powershell, WSUS 3.0, and Microsoft Dynamics
3) DATA ACCESS: System Center Mobile Device Manager 2008 provides a Mobile VPN that gives a secure single point of access to the corporate network. You can use this to access any line of business applications or Intranet applications. It also enables a fast reconnect if disconnected and provides easy transition from Wi-Fi to carrier networks with Internetwork Roaming
System Center Mobile Device Manager will be available in the first half of 2008.
I will be posting lots of information about this great announcement over the coming week but right now check out our brand new Website
Feel free to post any questions you may have!