Windows Live Mobile Search v2 released

We just released Windows Live Mobile Search v2 at

v1 provided the ability to find locations and view standard and also aerial map views on your device.  It also had the ability to search for addresses, restaurants, cinemas and many other local points of interest.

Version 2 adds a host of new features:

• Movie Showtimes:  Want to see a movie but don’t know what’s playing?   Get Movie Showtimes near you and be on your way!
  • More Local Data:  Want to go out for dinner but not sure which restaurant to pick?  Let your fellow restaurant goers help you out – make a decision based on user ratings.
  • Maps:  View Mobile Virtual Earth maps wherever you are.  For improved performance, pop in your storage card to enable the large cache option.
  • Directions: Lost?  Get found with better support for GPS integration and improved turn-by-turn navigation.  We’ll even prompt you to auto-reroute if you get lost!

Best of all is that Windows Live Mobile Search is free!

Head on over to to download it today!

1. DanITman says:

I think they should really work with and provide the ability to do weather overlays in the mapping.   This would be implemented just like the traffic overlay.  Having the abiliity to turn it off and on is key.

2. Kevin Daly says:

It is STILL restricted to the US/UK club…so why announce it as if it were something generally available?

Or should those of us in the rest of the world get used to regarding ourselves as non-existent?

This one-eyed approach to things makes a mockery of Microsoft’s otherwise commendable efforts to address a global audience.

Oh, and given that I come from an English-speaking country the fact that I don’t get to use Windows Live Mobile Search is not only crappy, but also pathetic.

3. nedved says:

awesome you have done it again!!!

ive used

I agree with DanITman about the weather feature would be a great idea.

4. WMExperts says:

I smell a horse race, folks, and it’s gonna be a good one. Yahoo Go may finally be available on a few WM devices, but Live Search for Windows Mobile (Go, now, and get it: Version 2 adds a host of new features:Movie Showtimes, More Local Data, Mobile

5. sbono13 says:

When I choose to use GPS for the starting point in directions or searches, I’m now being prompted to save "GPS Location." Similarly, when I zoom into a location on the map, and then try to "Search Near Here," I am forced to save a "Map Location." This seems to be new in v2. It’s annoying the heck out of me, particularly, since I have to agree to overwrite the old "GPS or Map Locations" everytime.

Any idea how to turn that off? These are temporary locations that never need to be saved…

6. Neil Thompson says:

Jason, where can I feedback information on the beta versionsas at present I get an error everytime I try and add a new location. Thanks

7. The save location thing was in the previous version (as of May this year); it’s actually often handy if you name the location as you get your own custom locations but it would be nice to be able to skip if it wasn’t relevant

8. and another; how do you add a rating for your favourite restaurant? I can’t do it in the client – unlike Yahoo Go 2 – and unless I have Firefox I can’t do it on Live Maps either!

9. Davin says:

I just installed Live Search v2.0 on my Sprint Treo 700wx. 2.0 is a huge improvement over the previous versions; however, I am having lock-ups when selecting "Current GPS Location" under "Choose a New Location". My position is showing fine on the map, so I know my Pharos BT GPS isn’t the problem.

I have been able to replicate this issue repeatedly on two different 700wx’s with clean installations of Live Search v2.0. My e-mails to the feedback address on keep coming back to me as undeliverable.

Any ideas?

10. Davin says:

I should also add that this issue never occurred in the previous version of Live Search using the same hardware (BT GPS and phones).

11. .NET Blogs says:

Holiday season is in full effect right now and I know many people travel with their Windows Mobile device

12. .NET Blogs says: