Facebook – a good by-product

I simply save the profile picture my friends and contacts have to my PC and then I associate the picture with the contact in Outlook.

image

This also means that when I get an SMS/Text Message or an Email the contacts picture is shown on the email or text.

1. Ross Dargan says:

Now… I wonder how difficult it would be to automate that… time to open visual studio I think:)

2. MSDNArchive says:

Love to see it if you could 🙂

3. Ross Dargan says:

About 50% of the way there – can get the photos… just need to integrate it with outlook which finger crossed will be ok…. need to do a little bit of work now though:) and unfortunatly away all weekend so will have a crack at it later tonight.

Anyone fancy alpha testing it for me? Let me know at:

Alpha@[NOSPAM]the-dargans.co.uk

You must have Outlook 2007, A facebook account (no duh) and a smartphone/pda syncing with it.

Thanks

Ross

4. m@ says:

I have been playing around with a similar concept for sometime…

This will help: http://www.codeplex.com/FacebookToolkit ;o)

5. Ross Dargan says:

Well, I couldnt resist – all written and working:)

Few issues thought – firstly facebook limits the number of calls you can make to about 15 a minute… this means it takes quite a while if you have  alot of friends – going to try and get this increased though.

Secondly I have had to run the app as an administrator – but it does work! – ill tidy it up and once I have the time increased Ill let the people who have emailed me test it!

Cheers

Ross

6. Ross Dargan says:

Thanks for that m@ – but I found a vb which I have just changed into a DLL, all works fine:)

Should have a release in some form of beta tonight.

Ross

7. MSDNArchive says:

Ross, M@,

Awesome work fellas – ping me an email when you have a Beta as I’d love to blog it!

J

8. Tim MIleson says:

Nice one chaps, stunning idea i’ll look forward to seeing the beta

9. Ross Dargan says:

This has now entered a closed beta – let me know if you would like to test the app for me!

Email me at Beta@[NOSPAM]the-dargans.co.uk and please let me know your version of Microsoft Office, and Windows.

and M@ – I did use your API – far better than the other one I was using.

Should get a release out on the weekend:-)

Ross

10. CraigH says:

How about one that exports to Windows Live Contacts? So i can make sure my hotmail / messenger contacts have the most up to date info

11. Andy Parkes says:

Fantastic idea!

Only downside i see is most of my friends use ridiculous pictures as their profile pictures…guess i’ll have to nag them to use something more sensible 🙂

12. Ross Dargan says:

Fonebook has gone live!

Feel free to grab it from here: http://www.the-dargans.co.uk/

And thank you to all the helpful Beta/Alpha testers!

Hotmail is a very good idea! After I have spend a bit of time with the wife I might look into that!

Cheers

Ross

13. This is what I love about the Blogosphere! I wrote a blog article about how cool it is that people are

14. This is what I love about the Blogosphere! I wrote a blog article about how cool it is that people are

15. Master William says:

Been doing this for a long time now with FaceBookSync on the Mac/Address Book.  Im glad there is now something for my Outlook contacts

16. I’ve been using Facebook for a while now and I’ve just noticed an interesting by-product of using Facebook that can benefit Windows Mobile 6 users. That is that it’s a really easy way of collecting pictures for your contacts in your phone! I simply sav

Comments are closed.