vista rc1

Well Vista RC1 is now available for download (woohoo!) I’ve been running it for about the past week or so and I have to say it is SOOOO much better than Beta 2!

I’m now running it on my production laptop and haven’t had a need to slip back to XP… infact XP seems really dated since using Vista.

I’ve also been using my HTC TyTn as my Bluetooth modem in Vista and it’s been absolutely rock solid.  I’ve been doing this because I can’t seem to find any 3G Datacard drivers from any of the operators 🙁

You can download RC1 from HERE or order a DVD

1. Paul says:

Thanks for the news, Jason! I’ve got it downloading as I type…

2. Gordon says:

Any news when we’ll be able to sync WM5 devices with Outlook 2007 under RC1?

3. patrickj says:

I’ve been dying to give this a go, but had a colleague run it on a Dell laptop and give up because of lack of available drivers. Is the drivers (video, network, USB) situation good now for Dell laptops?  Or, seeing as how you’re not a Vista team guy, can I just ask which laptop you’re running it nicely on?

Cheers …

4. MSDNArchive says:

Gordon – I believe we are working on something to help you… will post when it’s ready…

5. MSDNArchive says:

Patrick – I’m actually running it on a Toshiba M400 machine with 2GB RAM… it’s running really well.  the only niggly problem I have right now is just some driver issue with my video card as connecting to projectors has been ‘fun’ but typically resolved by just booting the machine with the projector connected……  other than that it’s been rock solid!

6. Mark Wilkinson says:

I’ll echo jason’s comments.  Been running RC1 for about a fortnight now along with Office 2007 beta.  Only thing that hasn’t run yet is lotus notes (we’re still migrating to exchange 2003) and the 6.5.4 client i run is a touch flaky (does everything except work for email!) and Aero.

Running on a FSC tablet with 2gb RAM.  Everyone who can, have a go, it’s marvellous!

7. Paul says:

Some very strange behaviour with memory management in Vista RC1.

I’ve got a Dell Latitude D820 with Core Duo 2.16 Gh, 2Gb of RAM and an NVidia Quadro NVS 120M graphics card that has 512Mb dedicated graphics memory on it.

Worryingly, the physical memory rapidly fills up, I don’t know with what, and then gets emptied again. On the one hand, it’s saying physical memory is only 28% used. On the other hand, however, it’s showing as I write 1591 MB cached and only 15 MB free! Pretty crazy, no? What’s going on here?

Now down to 3 MB free… but yet only 27% physical memory usage… there is something wrong here..

8. Paul says:

Some very strange behaviour with memory management in Vista RC1.

9. MSDNArchive says:

Paul – is this happening just after you’ve installed Vista?  I’ve found it does hit the memory and hdd hard for the first few hours/day as it indexes everything (depending on how much information you have on the pc)

10. Paul says:

Thanks Jason. Yes, that was within a couple hours of the install. Maybe that (indexing) also explains why my hd is often so active even when there is nothing going on in the foreground. I’ll keep an eye on it and let you know whether it’s still that way after a few days. Thanks again, Paul

P.S. Any hint on why I got such a low graphics rating and why my windows aren’t flipping and flying like I thought they were going to be?

11. Mike Byrns says:

Gordon,

Use RegEdit to add a key called "WHOS" to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft, connect your device and check for updates at Windows Update.  A new 7.0MB update will be available that will allow you to sync.

12. Pauh says:

Jason, I found this. I don’t know whether it’s true or not, but here is what people are saying about the Physical Memory question above:

13. Gordon says:

Thanks Jason, all working now 🙂

14. Lightfoote says:

Jason and Gordon,

I still can’s get my Windows Mobile device to synch with Outlook 2003. (I had to remove Outlook 2007.) Your suggestion of adding a new key "WHOS" did indeed lead to an update download of 7 Mb, but still no synch… Any suggestions?  Thanks very much!

Comments are closed.