Activesync 4.2 now available for download

Microsoft ActiveSync 4.2 is the latest sync software release for Windows Mobile-based devices. ActiveSync provides a great synchronization experience with Windows®-based PCs and Microsoft Outlook right out of the box. ActiveSync acts as the gateway between your Windows-based PC and Windows Mobile-based device, enabling the transfer of Outlook information, Office documents, pictures, music, videos and applications to and from your device. In addition to synchronizing with a desktop PC, ActiveSync can synchronize directly with Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 so that you can keep your e-mail, calendar data, tasks and contact information updated wirelessly when you’re away from your PC.*

Changes in ActiveSync 4.2 help resolve connectivity related issues with Microsoft Outlook, proxies, partnerships, and connectivity.

• Microsoft Outlook Improvements: Resolves issues relating to error code 85010014.

• Proxy/DTPT interaction Improvements: Improved auto configuration of device Connection Manager settings when desktop has no proxy path to the internet.

• Improved Desktop Pass Thru behavior with ISA proxy failures.

• Partnership improvements: Better resolution of multiple devices with the same name syncing with the same desktop.

• Connectivity Improvements: Better handling of VPN clients (resolve unbinding of protocols from our RNDIS adapter). New auto detection of connectivity failure with user diagnostic alerts.

ActiveSync 4.2 supports PC sync via USB cable, Bluetooth, or infrared connection.

Download it here:

1. macbirdie says:

But still, synchronization over Wi-Fi would make a very nice comeback, at least disabled by default. 😉

2. After installing ActiveSync 4.2 (final) on my PC i am getting "The page you are looking for cannot be found due to unknown error 0x80072f78" in pocket internet explorer.

Also, no other PPC programs can access the internet from PPC.

I downgraded to ActiveSync 4.1 but the problem is still there (i haven’t had the problem prior installing 4.2)

PocketPC does sync fine. It’s just, there is no internet pass-thru fuction 🙁

Any solutions to this problem ?

PS: No firewalls running on my PC

3. Well, the ‘Better handling of VPN clients’ is bogus.  The second I connect my phone to the USB port the VPN drops as if it were designed to do so.  Nice one MS.

4. As a user of Outlook 2007,  I have subscribed to a number of RSS feeds which allows me to stay on…

5. Matt says:

Yeah, please bring back sync over ethernet… was worth it.  Just encrypt the comms…

6. Simon Hyland says:

Same problem (and tried the same stuff) as Chris Papadopoulos. 4.2 has trashed my internet pass-through and a downgrade doesn’t work. I’m not impressed.

7. Simon Hyland says:

By the way, don’t bother with a hard reset – it doesn’t solve the problem either. Just had to sacrifice all my phone’s text messages for nothing.

8. Simon Hyland says:

OK managed to get my pass through back with AS 4.1. Hard reset your PDA (while disconnected). Lose all the stuff you can’t back up/ synchronize (text messages, drafts etc.). Uninstall AS4.2 & reboot. Install 4.1 & reboot. Make sure AS 4.1 is connecting via ‘ork Network’. Before connecting up, re-enter all your settings into PDA. Change everything so it connects via ‘Work’ not ‘Internet’ (i.e. via your PC/network not GPRS/WAP). Connect to your PC. Pass through worked again for me, good luck.

I’ve had to waste a day on this and lost a lot of information. Still not impressed. Try again Microsoft, and why on earth is there still no conflict management?

9. i tried activesync 4.2 on a 2nd computer and pass-thru worked fine. I’ll try removing all the registry keys of activesync , and reinstall 4.2 on the computer i am having the problem. I’ll let you know of the progress

By the way, i am aware that’s not a PPC problem.

10. Jon Robbins says:

I had the same problem as Chris, but a fairly simple resolution:

* Uninstall 4.2

* Install 4.1

No hard-resets or reboots.  I have the PPC’s "Select Network" setting on ‘My Work Network’ and pass-thru comms works fine again.

11. Alan Tetley [MSFT] says:

ActiveSync version 4.2 made a change to how it interacts with the Windows networking stack to use Layered Service Providers (LSPs) on outgoing Desktop-Pass-Through connections.  This allows for improved compatibility & policy compliance in environments where connections to the internet must be passed through these LSPs (ISA Proxy is one such example).

Unfortunately, it appears this change has caused some issues for a small segment of users who have LSPs that interfere with ActiveSync communication.

There is a registry key which can be created to essentially remove this change & revert to ActiveSync 4.1 behaviour.  This key is:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows CE Services]

"AllowLSP"=dword:0

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

12. Indeed, i added the registry key on Desktop PC and internet worked instantly on my WM5 device

Thank you Alan Tetley !

13. Mumu says:

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH  Alan!

that little reg key worked like a charm! I’ve been pulling my hair out over this pass-thru for over a month!

14. Joakim says:

Alan… youre the man! 😀 Thank you so much

15. Richard says:

Could someone explain me more detailed how to make this key?

Via Resco I can go to the registry and go to: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows CE Services]

When I select new, I have multiple options to add. Should I add a key and type there this: "AllowLSP"=dword:0 ?

Thx for your help

16. Richard says:

Already found the solution and it works perfectly.

Comments are closed.