So what’s new in Activesync 4.2?

A number of you have contacted me with regards to what’s new in Activesync 4.2 – well here are the key elements:  (remember to link to this posting rather than just copy/paste the content) (you know who you are 😉 )

Microsoft Outlook Improvements

Resolves issues relating to error code 85010014

Improved Synchronization between Lunar Calendar appointments and Windows Mobile 2003 devices.

Proxy/DTPT interaction Improvements

Improved auto configuration of device Connection Manager settings when desktop has no proxy path to the internet.

Improved Desktop Pass Thru behavior with ISA proxy failures

Partnership improvements

Better resolution of multiple devices with the same name syncing with the same desktop

Connectivity Improvements

Better handling of VPN clients (resolve unbinding of protocols from our RNDIS adapter)

New auto detection of connectivity failure with user diagnostic alerts

1. DanITman says:

Thanks Jason

2. Eran Kampf says:

When are we finally going to get wifi synchronization?

3. San says:

i’d second that! When is wifi sync going to be made available?

4. Bukovansky Richard says:

Jason, WTH is Lunar Calendar, please? Thank you.

5. Rob Lieving says:

Jason:  Will this new update keep me from getting the black screen of death from hooking up my PPC to the computer?  The fear of this and what it does to my machine is a non-forgivable sin in my book…

6. Me says:

Does it re-enable manual sync? So that one can set it so it does not automatically sync when connected, but only when I tell it to?

Does it re-enable backup?

Does it enable syncing notes to the storage card instead of main memory?

7. Lee says:

Is there / was there ever such a thing as ‘WiFi’ Sync? Or was it just network sync? In other words, does it really matter if the network connection is wired or wireless?

8. John Holmblad says:

I have a Dell Axim X5 running PPC 2003 (1st edition) that network sync’s (via 802.11)  to a Windows XP laptop that runs Activesync 3.8.0 and it works really well. I also have a Windows Mobile 5.0 based Verizon XV6700 mobile handset, but I have not installed active sync 4.1 to sync with that device because I understand that Activesync 4.1 will NOT support network/802.11 synching even though the XV6700 has an 802.11 radio in it as well as EVDO radio which provides the ability to have broadband access to the internet and as a consequence, to an enterprise desktop running Activesync via a VPN. In other words the device itself has the capability to access the Activesync software via several network means, each of which can be easily secured so why does Activesync 4.1 not support network/802.11 synching?

This feature deletion by Microsoft is totally unacceptable. Please get it fixed in the 4.2 version before you finalize/release Activesync 4.2.

Best Regards

John Holmblad

9. febelus says:

Bill is a "down" !!!!!!i want my wifi sync like 3.x!!!!!!

10. (Please excuse my disposable email address. It does work, and

I will reply to non-SPAM.)

I couldn’t agree more about network ActiveSync! In our SME we want to sync back to our desktops when we are on the road.. and we can’t! Currently we feel we have been robbed, and we are considering alternative non-WM devices.

I wonder what Enterprise customers’ real problem with this is. They must have been worried about local LAN sync, because remote VPN can be managed through their firewall. Maybe their concerns were similar to the (spurious) complaints that were made a few years ago about PalmOS sync: it was claimed that a new sync pairing could be made without physical access to the desktop. I think the solution to their problems is through AD policies, and I suspect that the WM team weren’t able to get new ones in-place in a timely manner.

Honestly, though, this is no excuse. You know that the vast majority of WM devices are bought privately, yet you have removed a vital piece of functionality for individuals, that used to make them feel the equal — in fact superior — of people with corporate solutions.

Of course, this just helps the Exchange revenue stream juggernaut to roll even faster, and that just makes Microsoft look evil. I kid you not.

Andrew Hilborne

11. Bob says:

If a device was sold with WiFi sync, and Microsoft removed it, I think they should be subject to a class action suit.

Comments are closed.