Bluetooth Car Kit Support in Windows Mobile 5 – BMW, Acura and others

One of things we’ve massively improved in Windows Mobile 5 is it’s support for Bluetooth Car kits.

The support implemented allows both handsfree and headset profiles as well as supporting phonebook transfer to a variety of Car Manufacturers Bluetooth Car Kits such as BMW, Acura and many others.

I’ve personally tried this on my BMW and it transfers all the contacts from my device to the iDrive system I have in my car.  I can then call and dial people from the iDrive whilst my phone is in my boot!

This support was added in Adaption Kit Update 1.1 for Windows Mobile 5.

The question I’ve been getting is…  so how can you tell if you are going to get the phonebook transfer and other features.  Well if you go into the about screen on your Windows Mobile 5 device then you will see the build number – it needs to be greater than 14402 which means it is using AKU 1.1 and will allow you to get all this functionality.

So far I’ve tried the K-Jam, SP5, QTEK 9100 and a few other Windows Mobile 5 devices all which appear to work fine with my car kit.

The device that doesn’t seem to have AKU 1.1 is the Universal device in it’s various guises so I hope the OEMs/Operators will be updating that device soon to use AKU 1.1 🙂

1. Eric K. says:

Oddly, my Dell Axim X50v barely supports bluetooth now that I’ve upgraded to Windows Mobile 5. It worked nicely under 2003SE, but just…went away. About says "Build 14402.1.1.0" so maybe that explains it.

Oh, shouldn’t I be able to connect to more than one bluetooth device at a time? I have a bluetooth-enabled phone which I’d like to use for email access and a bluetooth headset, which I’d like to use for listening to audio files or systems sound effects, but it seems that I can’t get one to connect if the other’s already connected.

Don’t suppose you’d have any idea what’s up?

2. Neil says:

Hi Jason,

What is it in AKU 1.1 that allows this support? Is it the SIM access profile supported? Or is it an extenstion to the handsfree profile? Will the phone’s signal strength show up?

Thanks,

Neil

3. Big Jim says:

A little clarity. Do you mean builds greater than 14402, or does 14402 support it?

I’ve been trying my i-mate kjam (at build 14402.1.1.0) with the SE HCB-700 car kit and it doesn’t seem to want to pass contacts

4. MSDNArchive says:

Big Jim – 14402 or greater should work. It depends if your car kit supports the phonebook transfer too.

5. BigJim says:

Thanks for the info.

The car kit supports phonebook transfer, but it may be a Sony Ericsson "derivative" of the standard phonebook transfer.

More investigation required….

6. malibio says:

If the build is not 14402 or above, can I install AKU 1.1 myself?

7. RM666 says:

Jason,

I tried a Qtek 9100 and a Imate Kjam and although the contacts transfer works great, people can’t hear me well when I talk through the BMW carkit.

Do people hear you well?

8. RM666 says:

Jason,

Do people hear you well?

9. Mark says:

Tried the Qtek 9100 and it has os 5.1.70 Build 14402.1.1.0.

the standard calling is working but the adressbook transfer is not working in my EU X3 bluetooth carkit

Are there some things I need to verify or change. i really mis this feature. also SMS is not working on the BMW system

10. Nick Lanting says:

In a previous blog (17 August) you said that the Universal did work flawlessly with your BMW Bluetooth kit. Now I am confused? Does it work (handsfree functiond and contacts transfer) or doesn’t it work?

Comments are closed.