A2DP Profile

I’ve had a question asked by Mohammed on when will Windows Mobile support the A2DP profile natively.

If you aren’t familiar – A2DP is the Advanced Audio Distribution Profile which provides support for streaming either mono or stereo audio over Bluetooth.

The A2DP profile is introduced in AKU 2.0 of Windows Mobile – the same deliver vehicle for the Messaging and Security Feature Pack.

Then – not only will you be able to get Push Email – but you’ll be able to listen to your music without wires!

1. Mike says:

Jason – is this on both Smartphone and PDA footprints – ie will the Smartphone have the horsepower for this – or will that depend on model?

Or is it just PDA?

M

2. Aegeas says:

It does seem like there are multiple issues that need to be addressed in the Microsoft bluetooth stack.

Will we soon see features from the Microsoft stack such as what Widcom has in theirs?

3. rmg says:

Excellent. Now what about us people with 2003SE devices? Will we see this much needed profile or have we been forgotten :-(

4. Yannick says:

Wow that is great news! Have been waiting for this for 2 years.

Will it come with AVRCP (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile) too?

5. MSDNArchive says:

Guys – to answer the questions.

a) Smartphone and Pocket PC? – yes :)

b) What things do widcom do that you’d like to see Microsoft do?

c) Sorry – there isn’t support for WM2003SE

d) AVRCP – not sure – let me check

6. Adam Z Lein says:

Excellent! Now we need some one to build a Bluetooth A2DP FM transmitter to keep in the car and broadcast our Windows Mobile stereo audio to the FM radio.

7. mohammed says:

jason,

if you were able to get your hand on a fact/specification-sheet for AKU 2.0 later on, please don’t forget to make it available through your blog.

thanks,

mohammed,

8. Gordon says:

Jason, Any news on any other profiles being added to the stack? Is this going to turn in to a full service pack, and if so do you have a link for the contents?

Cheers,

Gordon

9. McMannus says:

I have an axim x51v wm5 and the MS Stack doesnt even have headset or handsfree profiles. Will they be included in this update.

10. McMannus says:

11. Antonios says:

Mr Langridge

It’s great that MS are building in support for all these profiles.

But it’s also up to the OEM’s to decide whether to support the software Microsoft provides.

So before the world gets excited, are you able to clarify what HTC are going to do with their gadgets? The last time I checked, Universal and Prodigy were NOT going to get A2DP enabled.

12. Martin Hanson says:

Related to the Bluetooth Implementation…

The PPC-6700 BT connects with my Acura HandsFreeLink and is operable. However, it fails to send the signal strength and battery strength to the Acura display. Motorola BT sends the signal strength and Siemens sends both. It may sound trival, but I travel in reomote areas and make call decisions based on signal strength.

Is is possible in this new update to include the sending the data stream for cell phone signal strength to the display–two other companies have figured out how.

Thank you.

13. Lee Ladisky says:

I have to 2nd Martin’s request, however, my vehicle is a Lexus and it would be great to also have signal strenth, battery AND the OBEX(OPEX???)and profiles to send the phonebook properly….

Lee

14. RobertWebbe says:

Guys,

I’ve been busy with A2DP the last 2 weeks and have tested sereval phones, PDA’s and headsets.

Check http://www.robertwebbe.nl/A2DP.html for the latetest results.

Concerning PPC; I have upgraded the bluetooth stack of a Qtek909 (aka i-mate PDA2K), a Win 2003SE device, and now it is supporting A2DP! It works great with all the A2DP headsets I have available. Unfortunatly not AVRCP :(

You can find the upgrade on the page too.

@ Adam Z Lein:

The Nokia HS-12W will an integrated FM receiver! It will be on the markted very soon (few weeks).

@ Gordon:

I’m quite sure the HID profile will be supported too.

15. Adam Z Lein says:

I said FM Transmitter. I don’t want a stereo headset with A2DP.. I want an FM transmitter with A2DP so that I can broadcast stereo audio from Windows Mobile to a car radio.

16. RobertWebbe says:

@ Adam Z Lein

Ah, now I see what you mean. Great idea!

In many countries (like the one where I live), it is illegal to have and use one. So I think it will be more likely that the manufacturers will make carradios with build in bluetooth receivers witch support A2DP. On my page I have two links (Pioneer and Parrot). But then you have to buy a new radio…

17. A developer says:

Please, please document AKU changes for all versions of Windows Mobile. I’ve been waiting for this for a long, long time.

Please!