Make Sure You Reinstall VS 2008 SP1 After Installing Team Explorer

If you installed Team Explorer into Visual Studio after you applied Visual Studio 2008 Service Pack 1, you’ll need to re-apply the service pack.  If you don’t, then you’ll be running an unsupported “mixed mode” installation, meaning the core Visual Studio components will be at the SP1 servicing level and TE will be at the RTM servicing level.

Here’s a quick way to determine if your installation is in this state:

1. Click on Help->About Microsoft Visual Studio

2. On the Help screen, click “Copy Info”

3. Paste the text into Notepad (or your favorite editor)

4. Check the version of Visual Studio:

Microsoft Visual Studio 2008
   Version 9.0.30729.1 SP  <—indicates you have SP1 installed on Visual Studio
   Microsoft .NET Framework
   Version 3.5 SP1

5. Now check the version of Team Explorer.  If you see this, then you’ have SP1 installed on Team Explorer:

Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Team Explorer
   Version 9.0.30729.1

However, if you see this, then you need to re-apply Service Pack 1 to bring Team Explorer up to the right servicing level:

Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Team Explorer
   Version 9.0.21022.8

You can download the service pack installer here.

1. Carl says:

Thanks for the warning Jason!  After checking I need to do the service pack again.  I’ll pass this around!

2. Jason Barile on Make Sure You Reinstall VS 2008 SP1 after Installing Team Explorer Charles Sterling on

3. tommy says:

Great article, I was getting snagged up on SQL Server 2008 install, and I think this is the problem.

4. SSIS Junkie says:

FYI Yesterday I received a new hard drive for my laptop and, as is customary, spent a long lonnnng time

5. tim says:

Thanks for the post.  Hopefully actual usage of the Team System isn’t as horrendous as the install.

6. DaveR says:

Thanks a lot, your post has been very helpfull and clear

7. David Catherman says:

This has helped.  Now I have installed Team System Sever 2010 and there are now a couple more steps.

5. Install TFS forward compatibility patch

6. Install registry entry to access a specific Collection

8. VK says:

Thnx a ton Jason.

9. Vivek says:

Wow…..I got a very strange behaviour……..

I installed vs 2008 then sp1 in order to get Team explorer installed.Then started using that.I was not able to see last check in date in Team explorer.I searched a lot for is there any setting exist in VS  to see the last check in date. Finally reinstalled vs 08 sp1 again and now i can see last check in date.

Thanks a lot!!!!