Warning about upgrading WSS to v3.0 on Team Foundation Server

We’ve seen some questions related to upgrading Windows Sharepoint Services 2.0 (WSS2.0) to version 3.0 on the TFS application tier in the forums lately, so I want to try to make sure everyone understands the implications of doing that.

In version 1, this is not supported.  If you happen to upgrade your WSS2.0 to WSS3.0, you can expect the following behavior:

• The Team Explorer’s ‘Documents’ node will have a red x on it and will not expand.
  • Team Project Creation Wizard will fail with the standard templates, only templates with all WSS functionality removed will work.
  • You will not be able to browse to the site by right-clicking on the project and selecting ‘Open Project Portal’.

In other words, all of our integration will fail with WSS 3.0 on a v1.0 client machine (TFS server doesn’t really matter, it’s all client side integration).

Note:  The upcoming service pack for TFS will not add support for WSS 3.0.  We are investigating options for supporting WSS3.0 and beyond in future releases of TFS.

1. According to Jason Barile , you will not be able to create project portals for TFS projects if you upgrade

2. Kevin Daly says:

Good to know, I was wondering about that.

3. My VSTS Blog says:

With the raft of new releases coming out from Microsoft at the moment I felt it very important to reiterate

4. Brian Harry on Pretty Cool TFS Add On and Feedback on VS Community Technology Previews CTPs. Rob Caron…

5. There seems to have been a fair number of questions on this issue so Jason Barile wrote something up

6. If your thinking of trying to upgrade your TFS server to WSS 3.0 – stop in your tracks….and read the…

7. Mike's Blog says:

Before you read this post I must warn you, this solution is as is. I’m trained professional so don’t

8. Jason Barile says:

Mike, thanks for the detailed walkthrough complete with screenshots!  I’m going to have to sit down with your steps this week to walk through them myself & better understand the full impact of what you’ve suggested on TFS.  Great blog!

9. Mike's Blog says:

The last time I wrote an article about upgrading your TFS V1 environment to WSS 3.0 , I got a lot of

10. MaD Blog says:

Když byly uvolněny WSS 3.0 a MOSS 2007, bylo oznámeno že budou nekompatibliní se stávajícím Team Foundation

Skip to main content