503 service unavailable due to “The Module DLL …compdyn.dll failed to load”

Quickly helping  one of colleague where after restoring applicationhost.config from the back up on win2k8 IIS 7 we started receiving 503 Service Unavailable on the browser.

As the very first step was to check event viewer where we had the following logged:

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-IIS-W3SVC-WP
Date:          7/28/2009 12:46:10 AM
Event ID:      2280
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      <computer_name>
The Module DLL C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv\compdyn.dll failed to load.  The data is the error.

compdyn.dll ==> Dynamic Compression

Checking the inetsrv folder we were not able to locate this dll.That’s interesting.

Option provided was to :

1) Either to turn off the dynamic compression in applicationhost.config

  • appcmd.exe set config "Default Web Site" -section:system.webServer/urlCompression /doDynamicCompression:"False"

2) Or to install the dynamic compression modules from Add Role Services Wizard, select Dynamic Content Compression


Till then bye bye …

Comments (1)

  1. bhulan says:

    Thanks a lot man I was struglling with this issue for the last three days finally it is working after i installed all the required service rolls  also the one you mentioned Dynamic Content Compression. And let me point it out here that I was doing this for the shared configuration.

Skip to main content