SharePoint 2010 – Clearing the Configuration Cache

There were many common issues that could occur in WSS v3 and MOSS that would require you to clear the configuration cache on your servers. While less common, these issues can still turn up occasionally on SharePoint Server 2010 (And Foundation). While the resolution for these issues might be the same, the steps are a bit different. The main thing to note is that the Configuration Cache is located in a different directory on Windows Server 2008 then it was in Windows Server 2003. The new path for the Configuration Cache under Windows Server 2008 is: %SystemDrive%\ProgramData\Microsoft\SharePoint\Config\<GUID> The overall steps remain largely the same:

1. Stop the Timer service. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Services.
    2. Right-click SharePoint 2010 Timer, and then click Stop.
    3. Close the Services console.
  2. On the computer that is running Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 and on which the Central Administration site is hosted, click Start, click Run, type explorer, and then press ENTER.
  3. In Windows Explorer, locate and then double-click the following folder:
  4. %SystemDrive%\ProgramData\Microsoft\SharePoint\Config\GUID
  5. Notes
    1. The %SystemDrive% system variable specifies the letter of the drive on which Windows is installed. By default, Windows is installed on drive C.
    2. The GUID placeholder specifies the GUID folder. There may be more than one of these.
    3. The ProgramData folder may be hidden. To view the hidden folder, follow these steps:
      1. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
      2. Click the View tab.
      3. In the Advanced settings list, click Show hidden files and folders under Hidden files and folders, and then click OK.
      4. You can also simply type this directly in the path if you do not want to show hidden files and folders.
  6. Back up the Cache.ini file. (Make a copy of it. DO NOT DELETE THIS FILE, Only the XML files in the next step)
  7. Delete all the XML configuration files in the GUID folder (DO NOTE DELETE THE FOLDER). Do this so that you can verify that the GUID folders content is replaced by new XML configuration files when the cache is rebuilt.
    Note When you empty the configuration cache in the GUID folder, make sure that you do NOT delete the GUID folder and the Cache.ini file that is located in the GUID folder.
  8. Double-click the Cache.ini file.
  9. On the Edit menu, click Select All.
  10. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
  11. Type 1, and then click Save on the File menu. (Basically when you are done, the only text in the config.ini file should be the number 1)
  12. On the File menu, click Exit.
  13. Start the Timer service. To do this, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Services.
    2. Right-click SharePoint 2010 Timer, and then click Start.
    3. Close the Services console.
  14. Note The file system cache is re-created after you perform this procedure. Make sure that you perform this procedure on all servers in the server farm.
  15. Make sure that the Cache.ini file in the GUID folder now contains its previous value. For example, make sure that the value of the Cache.ini file is not 1.
  16. Check in the GUID folder to make sure that the xml files are repopulating. This may take a bit of time.

For the original steps for clearing out the configuration cache in SharePoint 2007, there are many articles that cover the steps, one of them is the following:

1. sekhar says:

I applied above and succeeded.

outstanding stuff.

2. This worked to fix a Nintex workflow issue I was having, but now the issue is back 2 weeks later. Is there anyway to clear this on its own weekly?

3. This would be hard to fix weekly without a pretty good script in place. The issue is that you have to be careful not to delete the config.ini file as well as updating it's contents.

4. Elecktrus says:

I think is very easy sen2mark.

1- create an aux folder, with the file cache.ini (the empty file, only with the 1 char)

2- create a bat file, that a) delete all the files in the path/folder of sharepoint cache

b) copy the cache.ini from auxi folder to sharepoint cache folder

3- use windows Task Scheduler and execute the bat file every week…

5. Andrew Smith says:

Thanks, nice info.It worked for me.

6. andres says:

what if there is no GUID folder? that is my problem. do you know how to reconstruct it?

7. Marco says:

Fixed my problem with conflicting update issues when running the SharePoint Products and Configuration Wizard in SP2010 SP2 deployment. Thanks!

8. jean-paul bitar says:

HELP!!!!!!! what if i do not have GUID folder!!!

9. AmpC says:

What happens if you have two GUID folders?  One GUID folder which contains the Cache.inf file and the xml files then another GUID folder that has files in the following format: longGUID.persistedfile.  Should I delete all the files in both folders except the Cache.inf file?

10. Eric Schrader says:

Technically, what is the Configuration Cache? Output/Object/Blob/IIS? I had this issue in my ULS logs after configuring my Object cache accounts. Cleared this cache and it fixed my issue.

11. Gui says:

@AmpC: Don't delete any files other than XML files (as per the instructions above). I also have two GUID folders, only delete the XML files in the folder which contains XML files.

12. RWW says:

With regards to 'Stop the Timer service' in step 1, would I need to do this on all the SharePoint servers in a farm? I have a farm with 1 App server and 3 Web-Front-End servers.

13. Quantum says:

I have event id 6398 critical error with "The Execute method of job definition Microsoft.SharePoint.Search.Administration.SPSearchJobDefinition (ID {numbers}) threw an exception. The object you are trying to create already exists. Try again using a different name". Will this help resolve this issue?

14. John Fairley says:

FYI, this is good for SP 2013 enterprise also.

Just saved the day

15. JF says:

I was having problems changing settings in central admin on sp2010. This has fixed my problem and saved me from a lot of stress!

Thanks very much.

16. John says:

We're running 3 WFE's and 3 APP servers.  I have a workflow job that's hung in Pausing state. So I need to clear the config cache to clear this hung job.

Central Admin is hosted on the 3 APP servers.  Do I just need to clear the cache on the 3 APP servers?  Or should I stop "all" SharePoint 2010 Timer services at the same time and clear the cache on all 6 farm members?

17. Andrzej says:

What if I have 12 folder with GUID and in every folders there is casche.ini file? Should I reapeat steps in every folders?

Is it normal that in C:Program DataMicrosoftSharePointConfig there are 12 folders?

Thanks for post it save me.

18. Daniel says:

Be aware, that your CPU will be stressed out to 100% after restarting the Timer Service. This state lasts for me about 5min.

I have 4 folders. I just choosed the one with the newest edit-date. But for now I can not say if it works like it should.

19. Yes, its good notes for Cache , we need to applied for timer jobs stucked in %0 Stage , i have to used your suggestion and after that its worked for  me . Thanks…

20. Hi James,

We're running 5 WFE's and 2 APP servers and 2 WFE.  Recently i have done migration from sharepoint 2010 to sharepoint 2013.

Kindly let me know the same job need to do all 4 servers.

21. Ajaz Ali says:

Here you go with clean scrip whice does this job , very neatly.

22. Robert E says:

Please your comment on this:

We have a Document Library visual correct in IE browser. (6 directories)

The same Document Library initiated to be synced in WorkSpace shows besides the 6 directories a lot of other (old) directories and files.

Document Library was recently reorganized by the enduser.

WorksSpace fails syncing this DocLib.

1) Does IE Browser and WorkSpace (Groove) got the information from different sources?

2) Cleaning the server cache will this fix our problem?

Thanx for dropping your thoughts.