With proliferation of speech recognition and speech synthesis, you’d expect e-mail, voice mail and fax, and, of course, anti-virus and anti-spam technologies to be part of the next version. But E12 is much more than that!
Here are just some of the features:
– “Unified Messaging” = e-mail, fax, voicemail in one inbox
– Scheduling assistant – helps you find good/better/best time slots for appointments
– External OOF (out-of-office) auto-reply…of course schedulable
– Outlook voice access – ability to call in using any phone and get your appointments, e-mails, even reschedule an appointment!
– OWA (outlook web access) has move Outlook-like features, e.g. as you type the address, the best-guess choice is auto-filled based on the most recently used addresses, access to SharePoint resources, access to Outlook forms, DRM (digital rights management), etc.
– Resources (e.g. conference room) is now easily distinguished from attendees
– Multi-mailbox search
– Outlook Mobile for cell phones, PDAs, and other mobile devices
– 64-bit, which promises to be faster and more stable
– More secure, e.g. intra-org mail (E12 to E12) encrypted and signed by default, anti-virus and anti-spam protection
– No more nightly backups – continuous (throughout the day) database backup
– New server role-based setup => easier setup
– Web services API
– Easier client setup with auto-discovery services
and much more!