Microsoft has released two new open source projects that complement technical documentation recently released for Microsoft Outlook Personal Folders (.pst).
- The PST Data Structure View Tool is a graphical tool allowing the developers to browse the internal data structures of a PST file. The primary goal of this tool is to assist people who are learning .pst format and help them to better understand the documentation.
- The PST File Format SDK is a cross platform C++ library for reading .pst files that can be incorporated into solutions that run on top of the .pst file format. The capability to write data to .pst files is part of the roadmap will be added to the SDK.
The two open source projects are available on Copeplex under the Apache 2.0 license. Additional links:
- The PST Data Structure View Tool (http://pstviewtool.codeplex.com/)
- The PST File Format SDK (http://pstsdk.codeplex.com/)
- Outlook Personal Folders (.pst).technical documentation
Channel9 Interoperability Topic Area: The story of the PST open source projects: