Customize an External List Form in InfoPath 2010

In this week’s “5 for forms” video demo, Trey Brumley, a software design engineer in test shows how you can use InfoPath to customize the form for an external list on SharePoint that connects to a SQL Employee database through Business Connectivity Services.
Get Microsoft Silverlight

1. Ajit Dhungana says:

I did exactly what you are showing in the video, and i get the following error:

"The form template has been published to the server but it can only be opened in the InfoPath Editor because it contains feature that are not compatible with web browsers, to fix this problem, click close and review the errors in the Design Checker task pane"

I posted this error on differente forum, but could not get any answer, for example:

I did not do anything differente than as you have shown in the video to make it un-compatible with web browsers. Any idea to resolve problem?

2. infopath says:

Can you please post your question on and we will respond.

3. LZ says:

The video looks very interesting, but somehow I can not hear the audio

4. Where is the sound? Vidoe has no sound!

5. G Ralfelt says:

Hi all,

I am trying to customize an external list using infopath form 2010.. I am able to send a parameter to the infopath web part… but I am not getting any data from my external list… any help will be truely appreciated

6. Toni says:

Very good job with post-its xDDD. Pixel art rules!!!

7. Kathy Street says:

When you publish do you set any special options?  Or do you just do a Quick publish.  I created my form, but when I execute my external list, it still pulls up the other form, not the new one.  I have checked my defaults on the external list and my form is selected.  Any ideas?

8. Scott Heim says:

Hi Kathy,

Did you initially create the InfoPath form from within SharePoint Designer after creating your SharePoint list? If not, use SharePoint Designer to create the form first.