Use Rules and Filters to Create Cascading Dropdowns in Forms

Hi, my name is Anson Hidajat and I’m a program manager on the InfoPath team. In this week’s “5 for forms” video demo, I will show how you can use rules and filters to create cascading dropdown lists in a tennis tournament bracket application. Get Microsoft Silverlight

Enjoy and please send us your feedback!

1. Jamie says:

Thanks for the video, I was able to re-create, however, once I choose my first drop down and then try to change that value, nothing happens, it doesn't update the other fields…any idea why?

2. sanjay says:

I have a form with MS Access 2010 Database connection.

Trying to create cascading combo box but not working.

Please help me. msanjay1 AT yahoo DOT com

3. Lanny Newman says:

Hello Anson

Anyone else having a problem with audio. Other video/audio files work. No sound for your tutorial.

Thank you.

Lanny

4. Charlieru says:

Good video. It would help if you slow it down a bit son viewers would not have to keep clicking back to a section to see the how to.

5. Arthur says:

Hello Anson, nice demo of cascading. It also looks so flashy! I' m working on a cascading dropdown but it turns into a performance horror. Each field takes 13 seconds to update!! And I have ten of them :-(

I changed a standard list form with Infopath 2010 to crate a custom Action list. Among other fields, it contains 10 cascading dropdownfields (all linked together). The data for these fields are retrieved from a secondary dataconnection (a SharePointlist named Inventory). This list consist of the same fields as my form as lookupfields to other lists (like location, stationstype or systemtitle). To show readable names in my dropdowns instead of ID's, I have dataconnections to the other lists (location, stationtype, systemtitle) and use filter these with ID's stored in Inventory. Here's an example of the xpath filter I use to show the systemtitle:

Datasource: Systemtitle

Filter: ID = Formula:

xdXDocument:GetDOM("Inventory")/dfs:myFields/dfs:dataFields/d:SharePointListItem_RW/d:Systemtitle[

../d:Locationcode = xdXDocument:get-DOM()/dfs:myFields/dfs:dataFields/my:SharePointListItem_RW/my:Locationcode and

../d:Stationtype = xdXDocument:get-DOM()/dfs:myFields/dfs:dataFields/my:SharePointListItem_RW/my:Stationtype and

../d:Functie = xdXDocument:get-DOM()/dfs:myFields/dfs:dataFields/my:SharePointListItem_RW/my:Function

Have you any idea what the perfomance issue can be?

Thanx in advance

Arthur

6. Vicki says:

How do we add/remove items on  multiselect list box that is tied to a SharePoint choice column? Based on one selection, I want to add/remove items from the second list box. Any idea Anson?

7. Kurt says:

Does this work for Sharepoint 2007 Infopath forms as well?

8. Scott Heim says:

Hi Kurt,

Yes – this will work for 2007 Form Templates as well.

Scott

9. Ed says:

Is there a step by step post that show you how create a list that the rules and filters pull from. novice here.  ps silverlight audio is not working in our domain.

10. Rengaw says:

can I get a copy of this form .. :)

11. kromeda says:

gj, i'd listen about "randomize picks" also