How We Test Software At Microsoft

hwtsamsThis past year has been quite busy for me. Too busy. Besides trying to keep up with my busy teaching schedule, driving some key initiatives and collaborating on others, planning new course development for SDETS, I presented at 11 conferences around the world, wrote a few magazine articles, and developed a new software test automation program at the University of Washington. Somewhere in the midst of all that I co-authored a book with Alan Page and Ken Johnston that is now available to order, and should be on bookstore shelves within a week.

Collectively we have more than 3 decades of experience in various roles and business groups around the company. Coupled with insights and experiences from the many other testers (past and present) at the company the book is filled with great ideas and examples of some of the testing processes and procedures used around the company.

But it is not just another book of how to test software. This book provides a lot of insight into Microsoft, illustrates some of our best practices (and also reveals some of our faux pas’), and answers the question (albeit indirectly) we get all the time; “How do you test software at Microsoft?”

1. boulderdash says:

Hi Bj,

Congratulations on the new book. looking forward to read it.

Best regards,

Asaf Saar

SAP Labs Israel

2. I.M.Testy says:

Thanks Asaf. I hope you enjoy reading it, and look forward to your feedback.

3. Rahul Verma says:

Hi Bj,

Congratulations!

I look forward to reading your book. I hope it is available in India soon.

Meeting you at the TEST2008 conference and attending your session (although I could attend it only partially) was a great experience.

Regards,

Rahul Verma.

4. Simon Godfrey says:

Hi Bj,

Firstly, enjoyed your talks at SIGIST and as a result of them and being interested in the stuff you’re doing at MS we’ve ordered the book. Looking forward to reading it.

Simon Godfrey

5. I.M.Testy says:

Thanks Rahul and Simon,

It was my pleasure to meet you both (in India and London respectively). 🙂

We hope the book provides even more insight into some of the testing practices at Microsoft than can be discussed in one hours time. Please let me know what you think.

6. boulderdash says:

Hi Bj,

Excellent book!

I enjoyed reading it very much. Alan,Ken and you did a great job. The mix of technical information along side with MS internal real life experience is awesome. Thanks for sharing that with us.

I added a post on the book in my blog:

Warm regards,

Asaf

PS. Any plans for a second visit in Israel?

7. I.M.Testy says:

Hi Asaf,

Thank you for your kind review. I am glad you liked the book.

Skip to main content