What I’d like to see in IE12

As the holidays approach, I’ve decided to publish my “wishlist” for the next version of Internet Explorer. I’ve been pretty good this year, so hopefully the IE team will deliver some of these presents. 🙂

Please remember: I’m just an MVP, and I don’t have any magic powers that would guarantee that any of my wishes come true.

Update: In April 2014, the IE team launched http://status.modern.ie, which provides an overview of IE feature support including a roadmap for new feature implementation. You can add suggestions and vote on them using the WebPlatform UserVoice and the Browser Interface UserVoice.

New Feature Support

1. HSTS: HTTP Strict-Transport-Security is a relatively simple feature that allows a site to demand that all accesses take place over a secure (HTTPS) connection, with no certificate errors. This feature can be weakly emulated by pinning a site in IE8 or later, but that requires user-interaction and doesn’t cover all scenarios. All major competitive browsers now support this feature. Update: In Development

2. Support HTTP2.0 on Windows 7. Support for this newer/faster replacement for the aging HTTP/1.1 protocol was brought to Windows 8.1 with IE11 but IE 11 users on Windows 7 were left out, presumably due to the platform dependencies required to support the new protocol (e.g. it requires changes in SChannel to allow NPN/ALPN extensions in the TLS handshake).

For bonus points, I’d love to see a way for .NET applications to be able to negotiate SPDY/HTTP2 connections (even if it requires a native PInvoke) as this would dramatically simplify adding support for these protocols to Fiddler.

3. Server-Sent-Events. SSE allows JavaScript to very simply collect and process a stream of messages from a server. The unidirectional stream is simpler than WebSockets and the programming model is convenient for JavaScript programmers. This feature overlaps others (e.g. XHR with streaming, WebSockets) and thus is just syntactic sugar, but it’s oh-so-tasty syntactic sugar. Update: Under consideration

4. Developer Tools Support for P3P. Today, IE is the only browser that supports the P3P privacy-protection standard, and as a consequence web developers often encounter problems with it. Today, IE’s developer tools do not warn the developer if their cookies are being impacted by P3P and thus they often assume that IE is somehow “broken” when it is behaving as designed. Note: It would actually be great to see this for ALL security features; for instance, F12 could help debug problems where sites have been blocked by X-Frame-Options. Update: P3P Appears to be gone entirely in Windows 10 Preview

5. Native Dictionary. IE added spell-checking in version 10, but the Kindle and Mac browsers have gotten me addicted to being able to quickly get a definition for any word on a webpage. The legacy Accelerators feature could have been a way to get this, but it requires configuration and is not nearly as seamless as the native feature in other products.

6. Preserve-3d support. Basically everyone else supports this, and the workarounds for lack of support are awkward. Update: In Development, Shipped in Win10 Preview

7. An off-by-default option to disable (or require confirmation) of the use of the backspace key as a back button. Some users hate this feature (there are many bugs on CONNECT) and even developers inside the IE team have complained that there’s no way to turn this off. Tracked as UserVoice here.

8. A UI option to enable warning the user if Certificate Revocation checks fail to complete. Today, incomplete checks are silent and this makes certificate revocation checks unsuitable for handling key-compromise revocations like the many thousands of revocations caused by HeartBleed. By default, IE should also downgrade any EV site which does not complete revocation checks by removing the green bar. Beyond exposing the “Warn on revocation incomplete” option in the UI, IE/SChannel should support the MustStaple flag for certificates.

Bug Fixes

1. When IE8 introduced the postMessage API, it had a bug whereby you could not use the API to communicate between browser windows. This bug is now over four years old and is an interoperability problem. It needs to be fixed.

2. When IE8 introduced the localStorage API, it had a bug whereby you could not use the API to share data between browser sessions. This bug is now over four years old and should be fixed.

3. Over the years, we thought we fixed most of the “Cannot SaveAs an image in its native format” bugs, and offered a “Save As PNG” option for the corner cases. Recently, an IE user discovered that the SaveAs code cannot handle URL fragments in the image URL and hits the fallback codepath unnecessarily. This should be an easy fix.

4. A customer recently uncovered a bug whereby, if a server sends two instances of a cookie on a single response (one a session cookie and one a persistent cookie) it’s possible that both cookies will be immediately discarded (test case). This is clearly a corner case (servers shouldn’t be doing this and should be fixed) but this should be straightforward to fix.

5. In IE10, we updated IE to behave like other browsers when following redirects when the original URL contained a fragment. However, a corner-case was missed and IE10/IE11 do not behave the same as other browsers when a chain of two or more redirects is processed and one of the redirects in the middle introduces a URL fragment.

6. IE11 introduced a regression where users InPrivate can be unmasked. This is a regression from IE10 and should be fixed. Update: This was quietly fixed in a monthly update.

7. IE10 introduced a regression where proxy settings changes are lost. This is very irritating for Fiddler users and impacts other customers too. Still repros in Windows 10 Preview.

I suspect I’ll be adding to my wishlist over time. If you have succinct straightforward suggestions for additions, please sound off in the comments below!

Update: Below, Chris Love makes an important point: IE team has an official feedback mechanism at connect.microsoft.com. Also, I’m not looking for a laundry list of “Here’s a bunch of proposal/spec hyperlinks, Go!” The IE Engineers are aware of all of the popular sites (CanIUse, etc) and track virtually all of the public specifications. The point here is to provide feedback on the things that we think may have been overlooked, or which may be more important than they initially appear. The best suggestions explain why you think the feature in question is not only valuable, but more valuable than anything else with a similar development cost.

-Eric

PS: Perf Guru Steve Souders recently posted his Browser Perf Wishlist.

1. Ashar Javed says:

W3C Content Security Policy (CSP) support would be great.

[EricLaw] Seconded by Caleb Queern. I'll likely add this to the list after I have a look at the state of the current draft.

2. Steve says:

My additions:

1.) Right-click context menu on an iframe to give options to open/view-source/etc. that iframe in another tab/window

2.) Dev Tools that open at least twice as fast as currently (I uninstalled IE11 due to the slowness on Windows 7)

3.) As a user and a developer… if I type in the IP Address of a server in my address bar, ****especially**** one that starts with 192.168.x.x – please for the love of god do not attempt to Google or Bing it… "http://" should be the defacto default prefix applied if no protocol is specified

[EricLaw]: Tick the "Go to an intranet site" box in Tools > Internet Options > Advanced.

4.) A Developer flag that when turned on – turns off restrictions in IE. Like auto-deleting the "javascript:" prefix from a chunk of code pasted into the address bar for quick testing!!!! or just turn this "security-thru-R-U-Serious!?" (airquote)feature(/airquote) or even running javascript on the about:blank page where 99.99% of quick tests would actually want to be run!

[EricLaw] That's what the F12 console is for.

5.) STRETCHABLE TEXTAREAS like other browsers

[EricLaw] Great suggestion.

7.) Ability to control items in the context menu – I have no idea when "Export to Excel" was added but I have never ever needed this – nor would I ever have a clue what portion of the page it would export if I used it!

[EricLaw] This is a legacy "Context Menu" extension found in the MenuExt registry key. It is used on HTML tables for that purpose. I usually delete it.

11.) Support proper, 100% PNG favicons…

[EricLaw] Already in IE11.

12.) Native built in support for Theora, VP8/VP9 video so that we can truly have free, open, non-DRM-encumbered HTML5 Video across all devices! Native built in support for Ogg Vorbis and WebM audio so that we can truly havefree, open, non-DRM-encumbered HTML5 Audio across all devices!

[EricLaw] Unlikely to happen due to patent infringement issues. I have zero interest in debating this topic here.

3. Brandon Ording says:

IE11 still seems to break on mailto: links beyond a certain length, seems like somewhere around 512 characters. Other browsers handle them just fine, so it would be nice to see that work in the same way!

[EricLaw] Yup, the limit is exactly 512 characters. That limit comes from inside URLMon's default IInternetProtocolInfo implementation, which is used to compute the security ID of the target URL. Mailto is a really interesting protocol in IE as it is implemented as both an Application Protocol and an Asynchronous Pluggable Protocol (for legacy reasons whereby a HTML Form could have a mailto: target).

4. Joe says:

Off the top of my head:

1) Web Audio API
    2) Support for datalist – annoying that it's not in-line with the other browsers.  I know it's easily polyfilled.
    3) Fix WebGL – some vertex buffer issues, some GLSL features not support, triangle fan primitives etc.
    4) Fix the metro version of IE11 – still seems to be a lot slower than the desktop version and the embedded flash component is still very unstable.

[EricLaw] Please elaborate on what you mean here? The Immersive browser's code is almost identical to the desktop browser's code.

More importantly I would love to see the IE team get more involved in the WebComponent draft. Maybe their own version of Polymer, or a experiemental version of IE with native support of the shadow DOM.

5. Arieta says:

1) UI customization
    2) A better API for building add-ons. The current COM API is cumbersome and prone to causing browser reliability problems.

6. steve faulkner says:

better accessibility support for implemented HTML5 elements [see rawgithub.com/…/index.html for details]  and (accessible) implementation of new HTML5 elements not currently supported by IE, such as details/summary, input type=number (i.e. spinbox)

7. davis says:

I'd like to see a "paste and go" command on the address bar's context menu. The Ctrl + Shift + L shortcut is less convenient.

8. L. says:

My wishlist would be:

1. MathML (yeah, not a priority for many people; nonetheless it would be time to have a decent way to publish scientific material in HTML)

2. DANE (RFC 6698) to try to improve the trust model for certificates

3. WebP support (because, even if it's a Google thing, it does compress better than JPEG XR and JPEG2000, and it has an alpha channel)

4. SVG bug fixes (e.g. arrowheads defined in an external file and applied by CSS)

5. CSS ::marker selector for lists

6. SaveAs PDF that preserve links and some of the document structure

7. Built-in EPUB reader

9. L. says:

Quoting Arieta: A better API for building add-ons. The current COM API is cumbersome and prone to causing browser reliability problems.

Indeed. I would love to have a pdf.js plugin for IE (it even feels smoother than in Firefox). I tried looking into what it would take to implement, and it seems possible (using aggregation to wrap mshtml, feeding it the html+js code, and exposing the resulting viewer as an active document), but the learning curve appears *very* steep once you actually try to write the (dreadfully verbose) code. Eventually I gave up.

10. david.warner@outlook.com says:

I'd love to see ClearType text rendering make a return in the next version of IE on Windows 8+. It's still working in IE11 on Windows 7.

[EricLaw] ClearType remains present in IE on Windows 8 and Windows 8.1. If I recall correctly, the difference is that DirectWrite uses greyscale instead of using full color for subpixels.

A little bit of UI polish wouldn't go amiss, either. Why do we get Modern app scrollbars in desktop IE in Windows 8+? Meanwhile the scrollbars in earlier versions of Windows lack hover effects. I know the Win32 theming APIs can be a bit of a pain to work with, but surely Microsoft has enough developers to get it done 🙂 The page context menu in Vista+ still doesn't quite match the native style, either – the colour of highlighted disabled text and highlighted submenu arrows are not correct.

The 'Internet Options' and page property sheet could probably do with an overhaul, also.

[EricLaw] The team is really hoping to do away with any need to go into the Internet Options at all (e.g. exposing settings more contextually) but I suspect this will eventually get overhauled at some point. I'm a big fan of the about:config model which I adopted for Fiddler.

11. brianary says:

I would like Native Date & Time Input controls.

12. davis says:

Actually, maybe IE12 could have a filtering system that turns snarky blog comments into polite feature requests, replete with [tt] tags around user input? 🙂

But for real I'd mostly like to see a JavaScript-based extension API. The Chrome model was doing this is *so very* nice. Their API is minimal but easy to use. The JS code to do something concrete is so very simple. Applied to IE it could facilitate common extensions between Metro and Desktop (obviously there's going to be some UI integration differences here), ARM and i386, AMD64.

13. Glenn says:

@David Warner – I disagree. I would be quite happy if I never have to suffer with ClearType ever again. It was a failed implementation and only caused oily rainbow text.  If it is re-added I certainly hope it is a "feature" that can be turned off.

14. david.warner@outlook.com says:

@Glenn: I know there are plenty of people who share your opinion of ClearType (though I'm obviously not one of them) – IE should simply respect the user's settings. I know it's been an issue in the past (in the other direction – ClearType rendering being used even when it's turned off at a system-wide level), and having to look at the awful greyscale anti-aliased text in IE10/11, immersive Windows 8 apps and Office 2013, I can imagine how you must have felt back when Microsoft was pushing ClearType everywhere.

Once we all have high density screens, I guess greyscale anti-aliasing will be fine, but until then, I want my ClearType 🙁

15. pmbAustin says:

Most of mine are on the UI side:

• Bring back the option of having a separate search text box (from IE8)
    • More customization options for the UI (some people really want the home button on the left, for example… and pinned sites already have it there).  The ability to simply move some controls/buttons around as desired.  A tiny bit of work here would remove a lot of resistance to IE from some people I know.
    • For all versions of IE: touch gestures to quickly zoom to the top or bottom (so far rendered) of very long pages.  Whether this takes the form of a control or area to touch, or whether it's "Semantic zoom" (pinch past the normal zoom out limit to zoom all the way out, then touch the page strip to where you want to zoom back into).  This is sorely missing, on both Immersive and Desktop IE, and makes Immersive/Modern IE hard to use on some pages (like Facebook and Twitter)
    • Fix the bug where tabs that are left open a long time tend to consolidate into one iexplore process (Desktop IE since IE9), until it grows large and starts causing MAJOR slowdown and rendering problems.  This is so reproducible, across versions and machines, I can't believe it's not a known issue and a high priority.  As the process size grows, performance drops… something doesn't scale well in there.  It's so predictable that any time I notice a page rendering slowly, or little "freezes" in processing user input (scrolling, clicking controls, typing), I know immediately to open Task Manager and kill the largest iexplore.exe process.  This almost always fixes the problem.  When it doesn't (rarely), it's because all the pages re-open in one of the existing iexplore.exe processes, just moving the problem and re-creating it anew… killing THAT process usually fixes it.
    • Add a "Touch Mode" to Desktop IE.  Try using IE11 on a Yoga 2 Pro (very high DPI screen at 3200×1800) with touch only.  It's impossible to close the right-most tab without opening a new one… or opening a new tab without accidentally closing the last tab… and targeting the "Favorites" Toolbar is nigh impossible because it's so thin and tiny.  Scrollbars are near impossible to grab on long pages because the "thumb" is too small/thin.  Office 2013 has a "touch mode" toggle that helps… Desktop IE needs one. I don't always want to flip over to Modern IE just because I folded the keyboard back for a few minutes.

• Enhance Modern IE context menus.  We need more options like those that exist in right-click menus on the desktop… or at least the option to have them.  Image properties, URL, save image as (let me select where!), etc.  Reduce the need for me to "Open on Desktop".

• And finally, fix the problem with using the mouse in the scrollbar on desktop IE to scroll… clicking in the area beneath the "thumb" to scroll down… if you click again too rapidly (within the double-click margin), instead of scrolling one page, it'll scroll two. This gives a cadence where you miss every other page, because it pages down, then doubles down, then pages down, then doubles down.  When scanning a long page, this is very annoying)

16. hughisaacs2@livedoor.com says:

I'd like to see:

1) GetUserMedia API: IE and Safari are the only browsers that lack this

2) CU-RTC-Web or WebRTC APIs: I just want to see some sort of peer-to-peer communication API. Preferably CU-RTC-Web as it appears to be more powerful and it being low level just means that someone will likely make a WebRTC polyfill anyways.

3) Web notification API: IE is the only browser that doesn't support this and it'd be useful for pinned sites.

4) Gamepad API: I just think it'd be fitting for a company like Microsoft that makes game consoles and gamepads to support them on their web browser (this may also be useful for IE on Xbox 360 and Xbox One if it ever updates).

5) Pointer lock API: Again, IE and Safari are alone here.

6) Asm.js support: This would just be amazing for games and heavy client side applications.

7) Feature queries/@Supports: It's too useful to not include.

8) Media queries level 4: Being able to type "@media (hover)" would be too beneficial.

17. david.warner@outlook.com says:

@EricLaw: When I wrote ClearType, I meant sub-pixel anti-aliasing (as opposed to greyscale anti-aliasing). The immersive environment in Windows 8+, Office 2013 and IE10/11 on Windows 8+ use greyscale anti-aliasing, while IE10/11 on Windows 7 use sub-pixel anti-aliasing. DirectWrite supports both.

18. Chris Love says:

Hugh,

I am with you, the camera and push events are the 2 most requested features my clients have. Web RTC is still an early specification with some security holes that would need to be addressed before the team will include it.

This is a great list, especially the comments section.

If you want to make sure your suggestions make it into the IE team's queue they have a feedback mechanism, connect.microsoft.com/…/CreateFeedbackForm.aspx. I would not suggest just saying I want (WebRT/easier paste n go, etc), but rather say what you want with a reasonable argument, etc. And saying add it because Chrome does it that way is not good either. Chrome does a lot of things not so well and implements things before they are stable or secure. They also tend to support just what needs to be supported to get points on sites like html5test.com and not the full specification. Some of the comments are nicely detailed, so follow those examples. The more details the better, especially when you have a compelling use case, like the gamepad API would be great on the XBox because then I could destroy some serious pig shacks on Angry birds. 🙂

19. Jason says:

I'd like IE to improve 'URL' vs 'Search Term' decision making process. If I type 'Form.Load' in the url box, I wish would IE would search for 'Form.Load' and not take me to 'http://form.load'. Chrome behaves as expected.

[EricLaw] In IE9+, typing form.load in the address bar, in the default configuration, will execute a search. Do you have IE configured to use a proxy server? Did you change the setting "Go to an intranet site…" in IE's Tools > Internet Options > Advanced? Note that you can always type ? Search Terms in IE's address bar to unambiguously execute a search.

20. Jason says:

Thanks for the suggestions and the '?' tip; I was not familiar with that. This is newish behavior as I don't remember it being an issue in the past (though I can't place when it started happening). I have a default IE configuration on a non-corporate managed machine running Windows Server 2012 R2 / IE11. I've never really tried to chase this down; I'll try it at home today on my Win8 box.

EricLaw: A NetMon or Wireshark capture would probably help track this down. Does your ISP muck with NXDomain responses by any chance?

21. Paul says:

Hugh is spot-on about GetUserMedia. Social web-apps are obvious candidates, but it is almost a must-have for non-trivial LOB apps, too.

22. Brianary says:

Native support for Markdown, Graphviz, and YAML (with a stylesheet like the IE XML stylesheet) would be a nice bonus for those using lightweight markup languages.

But a real win would be using the HTTP Link: header with URNs for JavaScript 6 AMD modules:

Link: urn:ecmaamd:angularjs1.1

This would:

1. reference & load module

2. use a well-known CDN location to load the module from

3. share a cache entry across multiple sites

4. add a Content Security Policy entry for that script

23. Arieta says:

Ah, one other thing I'd like to get fixed: the new development tools (on win7) sometime hang up. This seems to happen randomly, but more likely after longer browser sessions. When this happens, right click context menu fade-in animations are halted system-wide. Or rather, they run partially: they get stuck at the first frame (low opacity), then jump to the last once you hover over any context menus. This happens on any context menus system wide.

More annoyingly, when you actually click a context menu in this state, the graphic of that context menu burns in to the UI permanently. Once it does so, context menu animations return to normal, but you have an extra little menu permanently burned into Aero.

The only way I found to remove it is to restart the Aero service (dwm.exe), after which it goes back to the context menu being stuck, until you click a menu, and then you have the menu etched into the screen again.

Only a reboot can fix it.

Any idea why that happens?

24. Arieta says:

edit: the bug is re-started not just on the DWM service restart, but whenever I change themes or launch a fullscreen application.

I can also get rid of it by doing a user logoff, so it's possibly some service going haywire. Logging off is not quite much less irritating as a reboot since I have to cut my session in half either way.

25. Viktor Krammer [quero.at] says:

Some things I have come across lately:

1 faster and more reliable "start with tabs from last session" feature

2 spell checker in windows 8: bring back the option to switch languages from the context menu

3 faster switch to and from F11 full screen mode (remove the animation and ui flickering)

4 F12: add a CSS tab (list of all loaded css files)

5 Make IE12 64-bit only (if run on 64-bit Windows)

6 Tracking Protection List: allow blocking of 1st party content

26. Jason says:

Finally had a chance to try this out at home on my work laptop. My last two companies mess with DNS quite a bit, and I got the web URL behavior in both places. I've only recently started programming more on IE and the vast majority of that programming is at work. It would be interesting to see why IE and chrome behave differently, though. I'll check out traffic via WireShark when I get a moment. Thanks, Eric.

27. John says:

The desktop is in decline. How about sync bookmarks to Chrome on iOS? or IE on iOS?

28. Klimax says:

Ability to add subdomains to compatibility list on GUI level. (Currently only domain level is used, which screws up hosting like SourceForge, Tumblr and like)

29. Mike O'Neill says:

+1 to fixing the localStorage bug. Persistence of local storage between sessions is important to a number of new applications that support user privacy (by not storing UIDs and therefore user data in servers). This feature works in all modern browsers but not IE (including IE11)

30. mike B says:

+1 vote for Content Security Policy (CSP) header support

31. Kenneth B says:

ActiveX Filtering Improvements. I am positive I've gotten the pop-up bar and enabled controls only to find that I enabled them for an advertiser domain and not the primary domain (believe it happened on YouTube). The Click to Run behavior for plug-ins in Chrome and Safari are very nice and give more granular control to the user. The behavior in Chrome isn't enabled by default but there for people who want it.

This could have already been fixed in the latest IE but the list of approved sites wasn't user-editable like a normal text entry which was frustrating given the above problem.

32. Michel Varga says:

WebRTC is still missing.

EricLaw The phrasing of "still missing" is exceptionally misleading, given how in-flux the specs for that feature still remain.

I hopefully that will come in IE 12. Also the peer-to-peer connection and a device support to handle printers and scanner devices (and others) will be great. Maybe an alternative way like Gxxgle does with the Chrome Apps could be an alternative to current desktop developers.

33. Prairie Dad says:

Would love to see:

1. Clipboard access to images when users paste.

[EricLaw] Added in IE11

2. Web components API.

34. Simen Mangseth says:

HTML5 additions

• getUserMedia support would have been perfect, as I really want a way to access things like webcamera and microphone without using Flash. Only Safari and IE doesn't support this feature at this point.
    • The <main> element would be good for semantically describe the main content on the site. Supported in Firefox and Chrome. Would improve the semantics of a webpage – just like <header>, <footer>, <aside>, <section>, <article> etc
    • The <meter> element would accompany the <progress> element, since the two have different uses. Supported in all other browsers.
    • The <details> and <summary> element would be extremely helpful to hide content with a view toggle, completely without using JavaScript. Supported in Chrome and Safari.
    • The <time> element would be helpful when specifying the time on different HTML elements, even though it doesn't render anything special. Would improve the semantics of a webpage.
    • * More <input> types, like dates and color. The date input types would display a calendar view when clicked, achieved without use of JavaScript. This would be really helpful – the same with an easy, full-HTML5 color picker.
    • Increase/decrease UI controls on number input type would help users understand that this isn't just a normal text field. These controls are present in other browsers, and would be more interactive for the user.
    • Scoped attribute on the <style> element, would allow web designers to easily design third party content and hover effects, that is impossible with inline CSS.
    • Download attribute on <a> would allow web designers to easily set a custom name when the user downloads a file EricLaw: This is a great one that I hope to see.
    • Ping attribute would allow us to not use redirects to track links, and speed up the experience. EricLaw: This one is so controversial it merits its own blog post.
    • Reversed attribute on <ol> is a simple feature that I think could be really helpful when wanting to specify a list in descending order instead of ascending.

CSS3 additions

• CSS Feature Queries (@supports) – It would be so great to have a pure CSS3-way of detecting CSS feature support instead of relying solely on heavy JavaScript libraries. And I think it's important to implement this feature as soon as possible, when there still is different CSS3 support in each browser
    • CSS Media Queries (@media) Level 4 – Introduces many new features, like detecting if a screen has a touchscreen or not. This would be helpful, and in my opinion, a better and more "integrated" way than using JavaScript.

Bug Fix

If you are using IE 10 and a touchscreen device, i.e. Microsoft Surface, zooming in on a SVG background would cause the SVG to be blurry. I haven't got to test this on a IE11 touchscreen device yet, but I think the bug still exists. http://benfrain.com/svg-backgrounds-dont-zoom-correctly-in-internet-explorer-10/

35. kris.titeca@belgacom.be says:

I would love to see the return of the "security zone indicator". Before IE10 you would see in which IE security zone your web page was running just by looking at the right lower corner in the status bar. This feature is removed but was extremely handy for troubleshooting. You can still get to this information by clicking on the page properties but try to explain that to a user.

[EricLaw] Yes, I wish that would make its return as well, but I'm not holding my breath. It was removed as a performance optimization (saves millions of instructions) but then the entire status bar was turned off by default, rendering the "optimization" especially moot.

36. FJ Linares says:

I'd love to see a favourites and history syncing feature on both desktop and mobile versions.

[EricLaw] – Desktop IE has had that feature since IE10. I'm not sure what the story is for mobile.

37. Sander says:

They really should add "transform-style: preserve-3d;" to IE12; 3d transforms are basically useless without it.

[EricLaw] Yes, this is a common request, useful, and well-supported elsewhere. Added to the post above.

38. Bad Dos says:

Please add IE 12 to WSUS before IE 13 is released without having to import from the catalog.

39. aMUSiC says:

I'd like to see CSS filters such as blur, grayscale, brightness, contrast, sepia etc implemented. IE11 supports SVG filters, but they can only be applied to SVG content. So currently for a very simple blur, I either have to rely upon javascript/canvas solutions, or pre-blurred images.

40. simi@live.no says:

I have now got to test on a IE11 touchscreen device, and the SVG background bug is still there.

+1 to @amusic for CSS filters!

I would also like you to take a look at CSS Variables – so you could for example use a variable to define colors for a document, and use it all over the document. Then you could change just one value, and all will change. The variables could of course be used more advanced than this example. Supported from Firefox 29 and in Chrome :flags – but support in other browsers are not that important, as IE also need to innovate, and not just adding the features other browsers have done before. I'm not saying the IE team hasn't done that lately, but one can always get better innovating.

41. Steven Vachon says:

SVG 2.0 with SMIL 3.0 would be totally amazing. The spec is scheduled to be finished in August!

42. Andreas says:

Please bring back the search bar – even you don't like it, I know a lot of people, who like it and want it back! Thanks in advance! Regards Andreas

[EricLaw] I don't see the Search Bar ever coming back. You may not have noticed that typing ? in the Address Bar makes it behave more like the search bar used to.

43. CS-Mark says:

Would like to see CSS Masks added & fully supported, granted some other browsers haven't added it yet either, but it's an awesome feature that's still one of the few things Flash could do that HTML5 can't match in some situations.

44. João Moleano says:

I would like to see as a security feature a "pop icon" near the home icon with a menu that contains what was filtered (silverligth, flash, etc,), with the options to: allow this time, allways , don't allow – so we can turn it off and on.

This of course would be stored somewhere.

The brouser would guive the "safest" option by default but it would be easyer to browse some websites.

45. Leon Meijer says:

Easier way (like a keyboard shortcut) to switch a tab from Desktop Mode to the Immersive Browser experience

[EricLaw] What's wrong with ALT+F,W?

46. Fluttershy says:

I'm dying to know if IE12 will support Windows 7 since Windows 9 will be released by the time IE12 comes.

[EricLaw] Great question. As far as I know, Microsoft hasn't committed to anything. Having said that, based on OS marketshare, it would be suicide for IE to drop support for Windows 7 before 2016 or so, so I predict IE12 will be on Windows 7. The trickier question is whether Microsoft will backport some of the Win8+-only features to Windows 7 (particularly SPDY) in support of IE12. I very much hope so.

47. MaxArt says:

Just two things:

1. document.evaluate. IE never supported it, and it's been ridiculous, because it's been standardized since forever and IE10+ supports standard DOM documents. I know today JSON is way more preferred for modern applications, but in many contexts XML are widely used, and many clients are still using IE9- which only have XPath to select XML nodes.

2. I agree with the others, CSS filters would be nice.

48. sorrybi@hotmail.com says:

@MaxArt –

1. It is in development! 🙂

See status.modern.ie/domlevel3xpath

2. Not yet…

See status.modern.ie/filters

49. CvP says:

For what it is worth, my understanding is that the current features listed as under development are for IE11 (i.e., IE11.5 or something). In other words, Windows 7 will get it.

I personally think they will release IE12 when the next MAJOR version of windows ships and it will have a new add-ons model similar to Chrome/Firefox.

[EricLaw] When I requested comment on that theory, @IEDevChat clarified as follows: we will determine what ship vehicle to use based on timing, risk, and impact.

50. Chandru says:

I would like Xbox One IE to have GetUserMedia support. And so we can have awesome web based apps for Xbox one through IE. 🙂

51. Sardoc says:

What I'd like to see in IE12? Support for Vista and 2008 (non-r2).

[EricLaw] Unfortunately, I think such support is extremely unlikely. Windows7/2008R2 contain so many key improvements over the Vista era that backporting beyond Windows7 is very unlikely.

52. Timothy Liang says:

Support Media Source Extensions (MSE) on Windows 7. YouTube just announced 60 FPS video support, and IE is already fast enough to play them. (I did a double take when it played back the 1080p60 samples with perfect smoothness on my 2009 netbook.) Flash Player requires a beefy system to play back 1080p60 videos, and Chrome's software VP9 decoder will likely not be fast enough on older systems.

High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC), the successor to H.264/MPEG-4 AVC. While currently lacking hardware acceleration and efficient encoders, HEVC is the future of video compression and will eventually replace AVC as codecs improve and 4K becomes mainstream. Netflix has already begun transitioning to the new standard.

53. Aldus@Monitor says:

I like to see 64-bit mode without EPM activated. (Separation of bitness from EPM setting). A problem with EPM is that there are 64-bit extensions that would work in 64-bit without EPM activated.

[EricLaw] Indeed, this would also be useful for troubleshooting purposes.

54. rgb says:

I want IE12 to incorporate a method to either NOT play videos automatically when the page loads, or to force shockwave et al to ALWAYS show a mute button for videos and the stop button even for ads.  I am sick to death of videos auto-playing, and disabling shockwave or disabling activex is no solution.

I also want IE12's developer bar to re-implement the ability to edit or delete JavaScript or JavaScript URLs from source, for sites I want to totally disable certain functionality on (like greying of screen with popup login or message boxes).

And finally, after all these years is there any reason whatsoever that View Source cannot use an internal tool to present properly formatted code?

55. Dan Kellett says:

It is going to be very important that Object.observe is supported. All new client-side MV* frameworks will take advantage of the speed improvements this will provide.

[EricLaw] https://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/257854-internet-explorer-platform/suggestions/6263750-object-observe