Download Speed in the IE9 Download Manager

One of the common questions we’ve received about IE9’s new download manager is “Where’s the download speed”?”

The answer is that the download speed is shown in a tooltip over the download completion percentage, like so:

Upon hearing this, some  subset of beta testers have requested that we move this information out to the top-level. The download manager team is considering that feedback and other suggestions from the community.

I’m interested, however, in why this information is so important that it should appear on the top level? Is it because users want to benchmark their network connection? Or is it because the percentage-completion and time-remaining numbers aren’t enough to indicate that the download is still proceeding well? Is it because the old IE8 download dialog showed this information and it would be comforting to see it in IE9 as well? Or is the reason for this request something else entirely? Please let us know!

Update: Thanks for all of the feedback. In the IE9 Release Candidate build, download speed information was returned to the top-level UI.

1. Fernando says:

I agree with this decision, why you wanna see download speed if your download is minimized all the time ?

2. Cory Nelson says:

Things we download are often distributed among many mirrors.  If I see "15 minutes left", it doesn't tell me how well the download is using my connection.  If I see "15 minutes left, 80KB/s", I might cancel the download and try another mirror to get a nice 3MB/s download.

3. boen_robot says:

For me, the "Why" is a combination of everything you said. I sometimes download a large file for the sake of benchmarking internet speed to a certain server. Speed is almost never a constant, so a constantly present indicator is a must. Also, I know that if the speed suddenly drops to a few bytes per second, the download may be about to fail, and so I want to prepare myself mentally for the disappointment and reinitiation of it.

A download speed indicator is like a guide as to what my mood should be – Blazingly fast (excited), faster than usual (happy), normal (bored), slower than usual (annoyed, but not disappointed), really slow (angry and disappointed), nearly dead (at which point, I'd be the one asking out loud "WHYY?!?! OH WHYYYYY?!?!"). Therefore – taking away the speed is like taking away the humanity side of it.

4. Tino says:

It's all about feedback quality. When downloading a big file (or using a slow connection), going from xx.1MB to xx.2MB or from x% to x+1% could take a long time. By comparison, the download speed offers near-instant gratification. A tooltip isn't good enough, because it's static.

5. EricLaw [MSFT] says:

Very interesting points, thanks!  Any others?

6. chrisbro says:

Could you fix the bug with the download time/speed estimate?  The download has begun when IE starts getting the response stream from the server, but it doesn't start calculating elapsed time until you close the filename dialog.  Say you get one meg downloaded while the dialog is up, IE will think it got that meg instantly and the speed and time remaining estimates will be screwed up and stay screwed up.  Of course they converge fairly quickly on the real values, but they will still be a bit skewed.

7. frymaster says:

it is sort-of-benchmarking – it's so people get a good idea of how fast the file is downloading relative to how fast they know their line is, so they know if there's issues (like needing to choose another mirror, for example)

my main complaint with the download manager, however, is how hard it is to bring it up once a download is complete.  I really don't like how the yellow bar disappears when the download finishes, it makes it really difficult to manage short downloads.  This is compounded by the fact that you can't make it appear on the command-bar either.  agreed there's a shortcut command for it, but still…

on that subject, the command bar a) looks ugly when juxtaposed with the new style, and b) is something I wish wasn't necessary.  however, it's also the only way to get the RSS autodiscovery icon.  Sure, almost all sites with feeds have a link to them on the site (though finding the link can be challenging), but if they're using a feed proxy, quite often clicking on the RSS link takes to to an html-web-ifised version of the feed, not the feed itself… so the subscription option isn't there.

not happening, but for me I'd like address bar and tabs on two levels, then have the ability to add options for RSS and download manager to the "home,favorites, settings" buttons at the top-right (with suitably IE-9-alised style icons, of course)

8. Emil says:

It's simple. The download speed tells me if I'm maxing out my connection, or how close I to the max I am. If I'm not close enough, I'll go find another mirror.

9. Dr Pizza says:

1) Tooltips are a bad place to put dynamic data, because tooltips make me scrub. To find out the speed of each download I have to hover the mouse over each file in turn (long enough for the tip to appear) and inspect each one in turn. I can't just glance at the list.

2) I often want to know if it's worth, for example, switching to another mirror. I know more or less how fast my Internet connection should be; if a download isn't approaching that speed, and has an alternative, I am going to try that alternative.

3) Not every download has a known length.

10. ken says:

Because historically, Windows' estimation algorithms have been terribly unreliable. I *never* trust Windows when it says it will be done doing something in X minutes; I take it as a wild, ballpark guesstimation at best.

Thus, I don't want your approximations….just let me consume the raw data.

11. Heh says:

Of course, Ken, you realize that consuming the "raw data" will lead to exactly the same problem, right? It's like looking at the "Instant MPG" in a Prius– either you think it's the most fuel efficient car ever (200 MPG, I rule!) or the least (14 MPG??? What is this, a bus?!?).

12. Chris says:

I didn't even notice it's not there. The information is only interesting when comparing how fast the download is currently against how fast it could be as of your internet line's speed. Beside that I don't find it particularly important. However, a tooltip is perhaps not the best way to display this. I like it how the Windows file dialog does it in Vista and 7. You click on details and can see the values. Maybe some details button makes sense, considering this is mainly interesting for technically more advanced users.

That has been fixed with Vista onwards, the values are pretty exact since then. Secondly, the values won't help you to guess a better ETA; simply because all you can do is taking the avg. speed and dividing the remaining file size with it; the very same as the download manager will do.

13. Jace says:

I may just be lucky, but on my systems, the tooltip is not static. It dynamically shows the download speed as long a I hover over the download in the manager.

However, I definitely feel that the download speed should be included in the download manager UI by default.

Here's what I might do with the Download Manager UI, which would also reduce the row height to 2 lines :-D:

Name Location Actions

file.exe Downloads [Pause] [Cancel]

2 minutes remaining 1.1MB/sec (49%)

I have to say, I'm very pleased with MS' openness and interest in customers' wishes.

14. Typhoon87 says:

I am with one of the first commentors, knowing the downlaod speed could lead me to look at a diffrent mirror or another download site especialy if the download is more that 50 megs.

15. Roland says:

There are a lot of points, for example:

– The download speed allows me to judge the quality of the Internet connection when I'm connected to a public network (airport WLAN or similar).

– At home or work (where I know my usual download rates) I can see instantly if the server I'm downloading from is slow (maybe overcrowded), and I can then quickly make the decision whether to cancel and find a better mirror.

– Helps me detecting a sudden drop in download speed. For example, recently, I had a chat with a colleague while a big download was running. I took a glance at the download window from time to time the check its status and whether the download was still as fast as before (hands off the mouse, a ToolTip would not help). Suddenly, there was a sharp drop in the download speed, and after a few seconds, I decided to cancel the download. I guess I wouldn't have noticed this so quickly without the constant display of the download rate. I've seen this behavior so many times before with colleagues and friends: You go away from the PC while downloading a big game trial or similar to make some coffee, and from time to time you come back (without touching the mouse or keyboard)  just to take a look at the download speed.

– The download speed is the only real-time information about how fast things are going on. If it's high, it implies satisfaction, a feeling of "all is going well". Think of the ground speed information on aircraft monitors above passenger's seats. Passengers find it helpful and not confusing despite the arrival time is also displayed.

In general, the *current* speed is vital information to judge the *present* situation and whether all is OK while the information about how long it will still take points to the future, which is a different register in my brain. For me, having the current download speed available only in a ToolTip would be the same if I had to put my index finger on the windshield of my car each time I want to find out how fast I'm driving.  ๐Ÿ™‚

16. Vinicius says:

I think it's necessary to show down speed because it is a different variable. A download can still need 2d to be completed, and I can have 98% of it downloaded. My mom won't understand that her current connection speed is poor and will blame Windows for giving a 2d estimate for a small file. Ok, she don't know exactly what means 2kb/sec, but she knows that this number is some kind of speed, like her car does. And know that 200kb/sec she see every day is 100x better than 2kb/sec (we still see this kind of speed in Brazil, specially on 3G networks).

I would be great if you put any kind of signal bars like cell phones do, using historical information of downloads in the browser. My mom would thank you =)

17. Roland says:

In general, I think that IE9 should use more progressive disclosure in its interface. This would allow a clean basic interface for most users (not overwhelming them with information), but with just the click of an expand button (like the nice unintrusive round one used in task dialogs, for example), more experienced users could display further information. Of course IE should remember the setting. The Windows Vista/7 file operation progress windows already follow this principle.

Currently, experienced users might find IE9 too simplistic, and restoring some old settings is very cumbersome (I was surprised to find the status bar on/off setting in the Toolbars menu. Of course it's great that the status bar is now hidden by default because most users won't need it. However, I regularly zoom by using the mouse wheel and the CTRL key, and the status bar is the only place where I can quickly see the current zoom level).

Also, I would find it great if IE9 would make use of the new Animation Manager of Windows 7, for example to slide in the new gold bar after intiating a download. The new Windows Live Messenger and Windows Live Mail Betas uses nice animations previously only seen in OS X, even under Vista. I would like to see more of this in IE9, of course just for subtle effects. For example, when closing a tab, the tab could softly fade out on the tab bar like deleted mails are fading out in the new Windows Live Mail. The advantage would be that users would get a subtle confirmation that the tab has been closed. Windows has been fading out clicked menu commands for years to visualize the click.

18. Mary Branscombe says:

the time left and percentage do a lot of what one needs most of the time, but for gauging if I file is coming down as fast as I expect the speed is useful; maybe I need to pause one download to get the urgent one, maybe I'm maxing out my broadband, maybe the site it's coming from is really slow and I should seek another source – when the downloads are going well I don't care, but if I'm diagnosing and troubleshooting a problem and I'll want all the info to do that, without having to mouse over multiple file details in turn. use whatever progressive info reveal method IE is using elsewhere (Office and WIn 7 both have their own styles) and make showing download speed an option rather than on all the time (but remember many of us LIKE information density!)

@Roland – click the settings cog and you see the current zoom level on the zoom menu, but that is a click. Staying off topic, what I want is a place to put the Email and OneNote buttons that doesn't mean cluttering things up with the whole darn command bar. Generally, anything that's not in the new UI hasn't changed at all and looks even messier now by comparison.

19. Roland says:

Suggestion: When zooming using the mouse wheel+CTRL, a temporary ToolTip should appear in the bottom right corner of the IE window displaying the current zoom level.

This would also make it easier to return to the 100% zoom level using this method. Currently, when the status bar is off, there is no indication whether you have reached the original 100% zoom level other than checking the Zoom command on the Settings menu. (I regularly zoom at pages with very small font sizes but return to 100% zoom afterward).

Sorry for spamming your blog with off-topic suggestions. Unfortunately, using Connect feels a lot like using IE6, and the Send Feedback command doesn't work here.

20. lixiong says:

In the case there are different choices to download the same piece, I will compare the download speed to pickup the faster one.

If my ADSL is 2M, when I see the dowload speek is 200kb/s, I know this is the fastest one, and I will not try others.

21. Matt Sharpe says:

I'd like to add another vote for showing speed at the top level.

Regardless of the browser, or the file I'm downloading, speed is pretty much the only statistic I look at.

I want to be able, at a glance, to know if I'm getting a poor speed, and having to make that calculation based on file size (which may not even be known) and time remaining (which I only partially trust anyway and know is an estimate) is unnecessary effort when the current speed could just be displayed at the top level.

Plus it has nerd value – I like to watch download speeds to know how well I'm maxing out my connection.

22. davis says:

Eric, are you going to ask us why we want the option for a separate row of tabs next? That'll be fun.

23. @davis: I already know the answer to that.

@roland: Feel free to "spam" with suggestions. Just so long as you know that you're far more likely to get results by filing bugs on Connect and getting others to validate them. Vis-a-vis returning to normal zoom (Ctrl+Zero will do that)

24. James says:

I agree with what has been said about the need of a more explicit download speed notification.

As for the separate row of tabs thing, why is it so difficult to move the tabs into the titlebar like Chrome? It's an unused space on the screen.

If for some reason you really don't want to do this, at least moving the address bar to the titlebar could be an interesting choice too. This way you wouldn't have to add another bar for tabs (=waste of screen space), but you'd have more space on the current one. And it would be something original, not done by other browsers.

Consistency with other Windows apps should not be a major concern. Different apps have different needs. In fact we already have different kinds of UI (current explorer, ribbon for office, etc.). Why does IE really need to be as much similar as possible to Explorer? With the introduction of tabs, those days have passed.

Anyway, IE9 looks great and is a huge improvement over the previous versions. Great job!

25. TheCycoONE says:

I have to echo the sentiment that download speed is the best indication there is for whether I need to click the next mirror.  It's also a good benchmark for telling me when I have to reset my modem (which for some reason on occasion randomly starts to perform at 1/10th of it's normal download rate until restarted,)  Finally it's the fastest way to tell if the download is really slow or dead.

26. Mark says:

@EricLaw: have you decided to change (=increase) the default maxconnection-per-server settings in IE9? Or do they have the same default values of IE8?

27. EricLaw [MSFT] says:

@Mark: Modulo bugs, no, the connections-per-host limit hasn't changed in IE9. (I say modulo bugs because I think there's a bug wherein we'll sometimes open one more connection than we're supposed to).  New to IE9 is a connections-per-proxy limit– we tried to make this work in IE8 but it was buggy. IE9 will make up to 12 parallel connections to a named proxy.

28. Michael says:

A few things missing from IE8 are the following!

1. "Download manager" does not show the speed of your downloads any more ๐Ÿ™

2. "Little arrow" next to your links in farorites list that allows you to open links in a new tab is missing ๐Ÿ™

3. "Reopen Last Session" is missing from the toolbar Its now only in new tab window. ๐Ÿ™

4. "QuickTabs" button is missing form toolbar ๐Ÿ™ However why is there still an option for it under Internet Options?

Why in the world did Microsoft take these handy features away in IE 9 Beta?

I hope they will return when IE9 goes final!

Also just an idea.

Instead of having all that wasted space at the top of the address bar Microsoft should move the "Tab bar" there!

And then we can have all other things like Mail,RSS and print buttons next to the address bar.

And another thing why do we still not have Thumbnails when moving our cursor over a tab?

And why no "Paste and Go" for the address bar?

29. @Michael: Yes, point #1 was pretty much the entire subject of this blog post. The information is currently displayed in a tooltip.

30. Ooh says:

On topic: From my point of view, displaying the download speed only in a popup is ok – I'm pretty sure I can cope with that. Although as power user I have to admit that I like the progressive disclosure idea better as I always have the Windows file copy dialog expanded for a single reason: seeing the copy speed.

What I don't get about the download window you're showing in your post is that IE9 only shows the progress as text (99%). Why not have a progress bar there? Would be more graphical and easier on the eyes (can get the information within the blink of an eye instead of having to read all values).

Great to see IE9 become a really great browser. And thanks for your interest in our opinion! Ooh

31. Mog says:

For me I pay more attention to the speed than the time as I know that the speed is accurate (probably), whereas I know from experience that the time remaining rarely bares any resemblence to the time it actually will take. I've never seen a browser (including Firefox and others) where the estimate is actually accurate.

32. soheil_Gh says:

there i a bad bug in ie 9 beta.

when you a download a file that smart screen filter could not check the file . the logo show a one second and then disappeard.

when you click pause/resume the logo show again and when you move the mouse cursor it again disappeared.

only when download was completed the logo show correctly.

i report this is as a buf in ie feedback center.

33. Francesco Rizzi says:

This one > Or is it because the percentage-completion and time-remaining numbers arenโ€™t enough to indicate that the download is still proceeding well?

34. Vinicius says:

Hi Eric!

I'm not trying to create any polemic here but… let me try to invert your main question. I was wondering why IE team would like to hide download speed, leaving only remaining time and size. Is there any special reason (like perf, security) for this or it was just matter of ease the experience/design for end-users and beginners?

I'm asking this because I never saw any download manager without the download speed, both integrated (chrome*, firefox) and non-integrated (FDM, Getright, DAC).

* chrome hide the speed by default in the pseudo-taskbar, but shows details when you type Ctrl+J.

35. @Vinicius: The download UI team wanted a cleaner visual with less distracting information. Many/most users have no real need for the bits-per-second geekery and they only care "When will this be done." I think the comments and feedback thus far suggest that many users do passionately care about the bits-per-second, and hence the download UI team is considering that feedback.

36. steveg says:

IMO, hiding additional technical information in a tooltip is pretty ordinary UI design, IMO – fails discoverability and it's a usability issue for vision impaired geeks. A button (More >>, Advanced >>, Details >>, Whatever >>) would be better (assuming it has to be hidden at all).

The information is useful to me because it provides feedback about a) state of my internet connection and/or b) state of the file I'm downloading. Please bring it back

The slower your internet connection the more vital speed information becomes.

37. Mark says:

I ran into this issue when I was downloading a pretty large file and felt it was progressing unreasonably slowly, so I started downloading from other mirrors. Since I didn't know about the tooltip UI (and that's not very discoverable), I had to jump through mental arithmetic hoops to calculate the speed.

38. Rick Mac says:

I'll add my vote that it should be displayed for each download by default. There should be a progress bar for each download as well.

Itโ€™s about feedback and not hiding things, I understand the desire for a clean simple interface but most people will never find that tooltip.

If the speed is displayed either as an overall average or better yet a moving average of the last minute or two its immediately obvious if the download is progressing smoothly.

Many downloads start off with decent speed and then slow down or stall, if the speed of all the active downloads is immediately visible it makes choosing a different mirror or restarting the download much easier and offers reassurance that everything is working correctly.

Benchmarking even if subliminal is also important, seeing the number on the download speed  awareness of the real speed of a connection.

39. Gooke 007 says:

In france (and other European countries) there are 2 actors when it comes to the quality of a ADSL/DSL Internet connection:

The ISP (Internet Service Provider) and the telephone company (who provides the phone connection).

I something is not right (browsing speed, download speed, etc) we have to contact the ISP in the first place.

The first question they ask is : how much is your download speed.

We can measure this download speed by downloading a file of several MB from their site and tell them the download speed after the whole file was downloaded.

If we cannot tell them this download speed, they tell us in return that they cannot help us any further.

I hope that you will understand that this download speed is of utmost importance to us – I mean the way it was presented in IE8.

40. Pedro says:

We need this in order to benchmark our internet speed….  simple as that. This number became a sort of refference between people when they are talking about inetrnet speed and so on…. I usually ask othe rpeople, which speed are you downloading the file?

41. Joe says:

Showing download speed is simply a MUST HAVE feature.  Why WOULND'T it be displayed?

Downloads are not entirely reliable due to many factors (server, network, latency, etc).  It is essential to know when you are receiving a file at 2.0kb/s when it should be 200kb/s.

It would be like driving a car with no speedometer.  If the goal is to simplify the user interface, this is one of those core items that must be displayed.

42. Silly Analogy says:

<<It would be like driving a car with no speedometer>>

No, in a car, you have an accelerator and a brake, and thus control the speed. Modulo factors like abandoning a download or trying a mirror (which very few people would know how to do) you don't have control over download speed.

43. Luis Matoso says:

I like the new dowload center but i do agree in somehow put the speed of the download in the new box. Move that information to the top level itยดs the worts you can do.

44. Kelson says:

(but i'd like more information, at least when download finished, as a new tooltip with : Downloaded Time, Average speed )

45. JT says:

I am a network engineer and use the download speed all the time.  By monitoring the current speed you can tell if a download has paused or slowed.  I also use it when I can download the same file from mirrored sites; a simple glance at the current speed lets me know if I should stop the download and use another site.  This information should at least be avail as an option to turn on.

46. PaulyP says:

I prefer to look at download speed. On many websites you get a choice of download mirror – I like to see which one is using my full bandwidth. If I can see that the first download I try is using my full bandwidth, I don't need to try any others.

I would definitely like to see the speed moved to the top level too please.

47. Mycal says:

Well I was under the impression that this information was totally disregarded, but nice to see it's available even if it is in the form of a tooltip. However, I agree with the comments about download mirrors. This is my primary means of canceling a download and choosing a different mirror. I have a 15 Mbps connection and if I am nowhere near even 1 Mbps, I am going to be switching mirrors.

48. Monosodium says:

I would find the information useful to find out if my connection is still active or if the download has stalled, which can happen, it being stuck at x% on a big download doesn't tell me that, whereas current download speed does instantly.  It's also a far better guide to the quality of my connection between my location and the download site/mirror.

Or at least I would if the download manager would show up… which on my system it doesn't.

49. Yushatak says:

I like to make sure, as mentioned in other comments, that the particular download isn't progressing extraneously slowly. If it's only going ~100KB/s, I may look for another source for a file. Sometimes I have nothing better to do than watch my file download, so I like to have all of the information I can get to watch during those times.

50. RainB says:

IE9 Download Manager too slow. could you tell me how to disable?

51. EricLaw [MSFT] says:

@RainB: I'm not sure what you mean by "too slow." The Download Manager cannot be disabled, but it's basically just a UI feature– it does not change the performance characteristics of downloads at all.

52. Nathan says:

I agree that it should be shown top level, I like it there so I can tell if I have a crappy mirror or something. It's easier to just look than try to extrapolate by download size and remaining time. Plus it gives me something to do when I'm being horribly inefficent and watching stuff download.

53. Maddy says:

If the Download Manager cannot be disabled, then could you tell me how to customize it.

Because everytime I click on the file(to be downloaded) it gets added in the view download popup, duplicating it.

Again if no opensave is performed then I cannot even clear the list.

how do i customize the download view to for this issues?

54. @Maddy: I don't know what you mean when you say you can't clear the list. Click the little "X" that appears at the top-right of each entry to delete that entry from the list.

55. Maddy says:

What is the use of the clear list button then? It works only when you opensave and then click clearlist,if you just select the attachment row and click clearlist it does clear the attachment.

Again what about the duplicating issue I am facing,could you please answer that too.

56. @Maddy: Clear List clears ALL of the entries. I don't know what "duplicating it" means.

57. emdaoud says:

For my work I need to know the transfer rate and the download time of a file. Because I am trying different kinds of connections. If this attribute is not required for normal users like me to be at least an option to choose.

58. emdaoud says:

59. emdaoud says:

60. stephench says:

I found that the download manager feature is not available inside hosted web browser control. Is there anything we can do to opt into this feature from hosted applications?

Thanks a lot.

61. @Stephench: Sorry, no, the download manager is only available inside Internet Explorer.

62. Miroslav Makhruk says:

Why can't I decide where each download goes? I don't want to move donloaded files to diffrent folders after they were downloaded. I love my downloaded files automatically dropped to the location I want them to reside at.

63. EricLaw [MSFT] says:

@Miroslav: If you want to individually decide where a download goes, click the "Save" button's dropdown arrow and choose "Save As."

64. Miroslav Makhruk says:

Oh,  indeed,,, Stupid me. how could I miss it after using Visual Studio for about 10 years? :-))))

Thanks a lot, EricLaw.

65. MilkWay says:

How to disable IE9 RC download manager?

66. EricLaw [MSFT] says:

@MilkWay: As mentioned in one of the earlier comments, there's no option to "disable" the download manager. Can you explain why you would want to? Thx!

67. Ian Nieuwenhuizen says:

I know in an earlier post someone said that the download manager cant be slower than other managers, but I also have that problem, everytime I use the manager I dowload at half the speed and even less, I don't have that problem with IE8 and if I use Firefox download manager its also fine..Can it be a setting in Windows 7?

68. EricLaw [MSFT] says:

@Ian: I haven't ever heard anyone make such a claim before, nor would it make any sense. None of the underlying download code has changed in a way that would make it slower; pretty much only the UI and the download resumption code has been changed. You should use Netmon to capture a log of your traffic and understand where the problem in the network is.

69. Steven says:

What I want is a way to get the old download dialog box back! I went threw all of the options and had a quick look online and despite all of the advantages of IE9 I'm going to uninstall it just to get the old download dialog box back!

Its the little things that count……

70. EricLaw [MSFT] says:

@Steven: There's no option for that. What "little" things do you think are missing from the new dialog?

71. AH says:

I'd have to toss my hat in with another vote for being able to disable the download manager. Just plain don't like or need them in my opinion and would much rather have the option to simply download and forget, you have added all these options to enable more privacy and then gone and kept a download history of all downloads that needs to be manually cleared each time.

That is unless you find the "hidden" option to delete it from the Delete Browsing History menu under Tools I've got a number of issues with this, one is that the list should also be available under the standard Tools -> Internet Options -> Browser History -> Settings as well to make it more visible. I also guess I just don't understand why there isn't an option to turn it off in the first place, or if we have to suffer with it, why there isn't an option to not keep the history in the View Downloads option directly. Seems to be lacking in that direction.

72. chanky says:

it shows my download speed is 2-5 Mbps but actualyy my donloading speed can reach maximum upto 64 kbps.. Can anyone help me out about this problem?? Is it a bug in IE 9?

73. dj in ca says:

I want to disable the download manager because it is interfering with other progams needed in the business world.  If you (MSFT devs/etc) try to dictate to me that I MUST use your download manager, I may just have to use a different browser.  In this case the download manager in IE9 is interfering in the way citrix remotes are working.

74. @dj: If you explain the problem you're having with Citrix, I'm confident that we can get you up and running correctly again.

75. SamH says:

The download manager is driving me nuts – why isn't there an option to turn off automatic download to the default location so it asks me each time where I want to save. I don't always remember to do Save As and I like to save each download in its own sub-directory in a downloads master. It was perfect the way it was before – download library took me to the main directory, click on create directory and rename and click ok, click on open folder once the download finished, all there in front of me.

76. Candyman says:

i will not use ie 9 and its download manager as its not multi threaded

i have a wireles connection and must be able to connect to multiple instantes of the same file or my speed is terrible

77. @candyman: The IE download manager is absolutely multi-threaded.

You actually mean that it's not making multiple HTTP Requests to the same file in parallel using a HTTP Range directive to download different chunks of the file in parallel.

What most people fail to understand is that this is typically *slower*, not faster because of how TCP/IP works. The one case where it's faster to make multiple connections to the same file is the case where the site itself is artificially rate-limiting your download connection so that, say, each connection is limited to 50kpbs. The few sites that are doing that have already discovered the "multiple connections" bypass trick and most simply block a single IP from having multiple active connections at the same time, which defeats the feature.

78. Kevin says:

I cannot download from radio music service providers (i.e., download new releases) without interference from the IE9 Download manager. Please help?

[EricLaw: Please provide more details of what sites you're using and what problems you have. Thanks!]

79. Hint: If you'd like a comment you make about the download manager to survive, include reproducible details about whatever problems you're having. Otherwise, your comment is not useful.

80. Rich says:

Is there a reason why, with any reasonably sized file, the download manager hangs up at 99% completed/1 second left and stays there forever? the fix-it option refered to in the forums doesn't solve the issue. nor does a clean re-install.

81. @Rich: The problem you're referring to has nothing to do with the download manager UI, and will be fixed in a forthcoming update. The current workaround is to ensure that you do not close the tab/window that triggered the download.

82. Rich says:

Thanks, Eric, and sorry for the bother. I had been searching a long time on the microsoft forums and that was never mentioned as a workaround. I know its not your department, but it's odd to me that there's not a clear statement from them that they know it's a problem and more prominence given to the workaround. Incidentally what had worked for me (before I read your reply) was manually changing the file extension and forcing it to open. Thanks again.

83. Final says:

Is there a reason why sometimes I downloaded a file, and needed to click around 20 times on Save or open to make sure it can save or open it?

84. paul r says:

when I use download manager it downloads quickly but it take five minutes or more while it says security checking,this is a big pain I use other browser now to keep this delay from happening even on files as small as 40kb,anyone ever seen this problem

85. Ted says:

Do you ever get the question, "What happened to the file that I just wasted 12+ hours downloading?"

86. SSingh says:

I have read multiple articles on various websites and forums including this one that you cannot disable IE9 Download Manager. The reason we would like to disable this is as follows – we are using a web based software that after certain creation of record passed printer command to a docket printer. This function is intiated via a download of small file which when opened will automatically execute a batch file and print command to the docket printer attached to the local printer. In IE8 the first time this file type was download we were prompted, at which point we selected not to prompt everytime and just open the file each time. In IE9 the download manager prompts me everytime to either open or save the file. As we do hundreds of transactions each day this process is really tedious and adds up to be very time consuming. Is there a way to the download manager to always open this file type?

87. @SSingh: IE8's download manager doesn't auto-open files by default either. What's the file type? Is the download launched in response to a user-initiated action (e.g. a mouse click)?  Have you configured the file type to automatically open?

88. chuck says:

the method used is well over 9million percent inefficient to use as takes time to seprate file types and locations and then move each type to locations one uses on THEIR computer…{note: their? my computer- not M<S ownership} I say things go where I need then when working with them. Of course if one looks deply. have an Idea its part of the green revolution we have been lead to belive is the Gods needs and desires so…… going to be a long messup for years to come am sure