May 2014 Internet Explorer Updates

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS14-029 – Critical

This security update resolves two privately reported vulnerabilities in Internet Explorer. The most severe vulnerabilities could allow remote code execution if a user views a specially crafted Web page using Internet Explorer. An attacker who successfully exploited the most severe of these vulnerabilities could gain the same user rights as the current user. Users whose accounts are configured to have fewer user rights on the system could be less impacted than users who operate with administrative user rights.

This security update is rated Critical for Internet Explorer 6, Internet Explorer 7, Internet Explorer 8, Internet Explorer 9, Internet Explorer 10 and Internet Explorer 11 on Windows clients, Moderate for Internet Explorer 6, Internet Explorer 7, Internet Explorer 8, Internet Explorer 9, Internet Explorer 10 and Internet Explorer 11 on Windows servers. For more information, see the full bulletin.

Recommendation. Most customers have automatic updating enabled and will not need to take any action because this security update will be downloaded and installed automatically. Customers who have not enabled automatic updating need to check for updates and install this update manually. For information about specific configuration options in automatic updating, see Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 294871.

For administrators and enterprise installations, or end users who want to install this security update manually, Microsoft recommends that customers apply the update immediately using update management software, or by checking for updates using the Microsoft Update service.

Security Update for Flash Player (2938527)

On May 13th, a security update for Adobe Flash Player in Internet Explorer 10 and 11 on supported editions of Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012 R2 is also available. The details of the vulnerabilities are documented in Adobe security bulletin APSB14-14. This update addresses the vulnerabilities in Adobe Flash Player by updating the affected Adobe Flash binaries contained within Internet Explorer 10 and Internet Explorer 11. For more information, see the advisory

Most customers have automatic updating enabled and will not need to take any action because this update will be downloaded and installed automatically. Customers who have not enabled automatic updating need to check for updates and install this update manually. For information about specific configuration options in automatic updating, see Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 294871.

— Wilson Guo, Program Manager, Internet Explorer

1. pmbAustin says:

Is there ever going to be a fix for the "white tab" problem?  Where, after running for a while with multiple tabs, one or more of the iexplorer.exe processes grows very large (typically over 600MB) and starts eating up handles and CPU (typically a steady 25% of my CPU), and rendering stops, and the tab just goes white?  It's a huge and serious problem, I experience pretty much DAILY on a variety of machines and a variety of sites, on Desktop IE.  I can't believe this huge problem isn't a number one priority to fix.  It's infuriating.  The only way to resolve it is to kill the offending process in task manager, or shut down and restart all of IE.

It's so bad, it affects the rendering of other apps (like opening a common file open dialog, the thumbnails won't render).

Can I even get an acknowledgment you understand that the problem (reported by me many times, and others many times as well) exists?

2. S says:

@pmbAustin

I'm familiar with your past repeated comments about this, but I've never seen exactly what you're describing. One thing I'm curious about is whether you've tried forcing software rendering and can reproduce this with software rendering enabled.  (In Internet Options, go to the Advanced tab, and check the top box: Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering.)

Obviously there is a lot of reason to want to use GPU rendering, but if you find that the problem only happens when GPU rendering is enabled, you've narrowed down the problem (and should try updating your graphics drivers).

While I never had "white tabs", I did have a computer that would act weirdly when IE had been running for a while.  While I didn't see the CPU get pegged by IE or any process, the computer would seriously slow down and other programs were affected until I killed IE.  Just for the heck of it, I tried forcing software rendering, and I was surprised to see the problems went away.  I haven't had issues after trying that a few months ago.

This may not be what you're encountering, but I wanted to let you know what helped for me.

3. Hexaae says:

I'm afraid you're underestimating a big issue in IE11: when Windows is set to 125% DPI or more (which is the standard on the majority of latest laptops) the pop-up accelerator blue arrow gadget gets misplaced and hence can't be clicked… This problem, together with old Windows 7 Gadgets (I know MS have discarded them…) being transparent and corrupt with 125% DPI when IE11 is installed make millions of users switching directly from IE10 to Chrome or another browser.

I myself would be happy to switch from IE10->IE11 but since these 2 greatly annoying bugs on my 125% DPI Windows desktop are not fixed yet I'll stay with IE10 and use Chrome when needed…

4. pmbAustin says:

@s,

Since this happens on EVERY computer I use (from a Surface Pro to a Lenovo laptop to two completely different desktops with different graphics (one dedicated card, one integrated graphics), I can't believe it's a driver issue.  All you need to do is keep a lot of tabs open, and visit sites that use a lot of javascript or have a lot of images or imbedded videos.  Something isn't getting cleaned up, the processes get bigger and bigger, and sometime around 500MB they start slowing down… it takes longer and longer to click to a new page, the process uses more and more CPU, until at some point, it just pegs at 25% or so, rendering stops, and the only solution is to kill IE.  OTHER tabs may work (if those tabs reside in a different iexplore.exe process).  It's so readily reproducible on ANY given configuration, I find it hard to believe anyone hasn't run into it… unless they never use IE, or multiple tabs, always close it down every so often, or only visit static sites maybe.  Many others have reported it (here and elsewhere).  One person even produced a way to force it to happen on demand.

The behavior is like there's something that doesn't scale, like it walks memory and as it gets more fragmented, it's an O(n^3) algorithm or something, getting exponentially worse as the process size grows.  It's especially fun when you hit some 'threshold' just before you'd normally get an all-white tab (no rendering), and the tab just sits there and FLASHES violently, blanking & redrawing endlessly and rapidly.

Like I said, it's a daily occurrence. But then I leave IE11 running at all times, usually with about a dozen tabs open.  And this has been a problem since IE9, but it's been getting steadily worse and worse (more and more frequent).

I will try turning off hardware rendering and see if that affects things, but that will only point to where the problem lies in general, because it's definitely NOT specific to any one piece of hardware, video card, or driver.

5. T says:

@pmbAustin

Since this happens on EVERY Computer…

So we can only assume that you do something to your all computers (and probably IE) like "well meant" registry hacks that kills your installations. Because for everybody else it NEVER happens.

We've had enough of your spamming this forum.

6. Hexaae says:

@T

The 125% DPI issue with IE11 on Winsows 7 (x64) is 100% reproducible instead… News about this annoying bug that makes the pop-up accelerators unusable on the new version of MS browser for Win7 users with DPI 125%? Here is what I meant with the "blue arrow accelerator gadget", this: http://www.vistax64.com/…/12555d1241409967-internet-explorer-accelerator-button-turn-off-vista_display.jpg

7. pmbAustin says:

@T, I do nothing unusual beyond leaving IE open with tons of tabs open.  No registry hacks or anything weird.  This happens on brand new systems, and systems that have been upgrade over years.  The problem isn't me.  And given that others have experienced it too, your last statement is just a lie.  Others have reported here, confirmed they experience it too, and it's been mentioned elsewhere.  It's just never been acknowledged by anyone at Microsoft.

8. T says:

@Hexaae, @pmbAustin,

I really would like to +1 this issue on Connect: connect.microsoft.com/IE

But you mustn't have reported the issue at right place.. oh well!

3, 2, 1 and here comes same old same old bash from @pmbAustin… so before you do that @pmbAustin, let me tell you an old news: THEY DO READ CONNECT ISSUE SINCE LAST YEAR!!!! Please stop trolling on every IE blog post and report the bug where it belongs!

9. skonrad1 says:

Hello

IE needs to do something extraordinary with its search engine, for others it is very much an example in my website can be which is not displayed correctly

10. DottyP says:

My laptop seems to be always running something in background. The middle light keeps flashing. I use Norton and use Firefox but for some reason (I think IE comes into play somewhere). I am not that computer savvy but I make sure I clean out temp files, scan computer frequently thinking it could be something more serious. Has anyone else noticed computer sluggish lately? I noticed there was a bunch of downloads for Windows 5/14.

11. jimmy echo says:

You SUCK!!!!!  tHANK god FOR CHROME

12. jimmy says:

What the F*** is wrong with your browser, I can get where I need to go on Chrome, but when I use internet explorer I can't get the page to display, Yeah I know what you will say "so use Chrome then" well, if thats you attitude then I WILL!!

Thank you very much!!

13. Hexaae says:

@T

Oh… didn't know MS Connect for IE was still open after the beta… Sent the bug there, thank you for your patience.

14. RL says:

In defense of @pmbAustin, this is a real and massive problem. We have numerous users in our organization experiencing the same problem (multiple tab browsing eventually runs out of memory and IE simply stops responding). I've definitely seen general performance and CSS rendering in IE9 degrade tremendously after the last few updates. The problem is that I've also seen a degradation in Chrome and similar rendering problems in both browsers. Is it possible the problem is not in IE but in the OS? An HTML rendering engine problem?

15. Hexaae says:

@RL

Have you considered flashplayer or another plugin in common?

Or this could be a more generic page rendering problem with current video drivers, when you have hardware acceleration ON (default) in IE. For example recent AMD drivers (> 12.x I guess) are known to cause random crashes when IE is quitting. Crashes like these:

Nome evento problema: APPCRASH