IE11 Automatic Update Blocker Toolkit Available for Windows 7

Business and organizations that want to manage their own update schedule can use the IE11 Automatic Update Blocker Toolkit to disable automatic delivery of Internet Explorer 11. This Blocker Toolkit—like its predecessors for IE10, IE9, IE8, and IE7—is now available on the Microsoft Download Center. While we encourage all customers to upgrade their browser to the latest version as quickly as possible, this approach enables organizations to control when they are ready to deploy IE11 to their Windows 7 users. All other Windows 7 users not using the toolkit will be automatically upgraded to IE11 through Windows Update.

The IE11 Automatic Update Blocker Toolkit can be used to prevent Internet Explorer 11 from being automatically installed on users’ Windows 7 machines when it is available via Automatic Update. This Toolkit has no expiration date and is configured either by running the registry file on the client machine or by deploying Group Policy in domain joined environments. The toolkit also provides an unblock procedure that allows IE11 to be installed through Automatic Update.

When an IE11 Preview version is installed on Windows 7, the IE11 Automatic Update Blocker Toolkit does not block automatic deployment of IE11. This ensures that users running IE11 Developer Preview or IE11 Release Preview continue to receive the latest security fixes. Additionally, the toolkit does not prevent users from manually installing IE11 from the Microsoft Download Center.

There are different registry keys used to block or unblock automatic delivery of IE11, IE10 and IE9. Previous IE Blocker Toolkits for IE10 or IE9 will not block IE11 from being offered as an important update — the IE11 Blocker Toolkit must be used to prevent IE11 from being offered via Automatic Update.

Organizations that use an update management solution such as Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) or System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) do not need to deploy the IE11 Automatic Update Blocker Toolkit. WSUS and SCCM allow organizations to fully manage deployment of updates released through Windows Update, including IE11.

Jeff Pape
Program Manager, Internet Explorer

1. hanjingnuo@163.com says:

I use win7 64,ie11 ,I found particularly slow F12 debugging tools, hoping to investigate

2. Mike Dimmick says:

@pmbAustin: IE doesn't use a transactional database to store its cache (which includes cookies and saved passwords as well as cached resources). When a system crash happens, it decides it can't trust the old cache folder to not be corrupted, so it starts a new one, losing everything that it had accumulated. That's usually the cause of this issue.

In addition, IE defaults to silently converting third-party cookies from persistent to session cookies, if the third party either doesn't have a P3P declaration or that declaration doesn't fit Microsoft's definition of 'fairly innocuous' according to <blogs.msdn.com/…/understanding-internet-explorer-cookie-controls.aspx>. I can't see anywhere that actually says what it's looking for. Since most sites don't have P3P declarations, you'll often see cookie downgrades.

I suspect IE does still have bugs where it will expire cookies before it actually should, or it doesn't extend the lifetime of cookies if the website sends the same cookie data with a new expiry date, or simply loses track of the file in its cache folder. This whole area needs an overhaul.

I just refreshed to see if any other replies had been posted before posting this, and my Windows Live ID login session cookie had been lost: I had to click Sign In again.

3. Bward says:

What date does IE11 automatically get updated if this toolkit is not applied?  If other words how long do I have to deploy this toolkit?

4. Real McCoy says:

SVG has some issues in IE9, 10 and now 11. Consider the following SVG document:

tavmjong.free.fr/…/svg_test.svg

Here is the reference image:

tavmjong.free.fr/…/svg_test.png

There are at least 3 issues here:

1. IE11 doesn't render masked colored and grayscale image at the bottom: connect.microsoft.com/…/incorrect-paths-moveto-rendering-in-svg

2. The wrong inheritance of brush: connect.microsoft.com/…/wrong-inheritance-with-svgs-fill-opacity

3. The drop shadow is missing while printing the document: connect.microsoft.com/…/no-drop-shadow-when-printing-svg

In theory, IE supports SVG version 1.1,

document.implementation.hasFeature("http://www.w3.org/…/feature, "1.1")

returns true!

but in reality, the team which implemented SVG (two years ago) never got a chance to test the conformance afterwards.

Please escalate these issues.

5. Russell says:

Thanks for sharing.

6. pmbAustin says:

One tiny bug that constantly annoys in nearly all versions of IE:

On a long page (think facebook or twitter), on the Desktop version of IE, I like to 'page down' one page at a time by clicking the scroll bar under the 'thumb'… I read quickly, so when I'm scanning, I just want to click, click, click, click, to page down one page at a time.

The problem is, every other click scrolls TWO pages, forcing me to miss a page.

The reason is that IE isn't properly handling double-click events.  If I slow my clicks down, I can scroll one page at a time just fine.  But it seems my natural "scanning" speed for a lot of pages is just inside the duration of the double-click timing.  Because of this, IE is responding to my initial click, and then again to the perceived double-click, which means it scrolls two pages instead of one.  It's very annoying.

I sure hope this can be fixed in a future version of desktop IE.

7. @ pmbAustin says:

BS-alert! "The reason is that IE isn't properly handling double-click events"

Try adjusting the double-click Speed in the control panel!

8. pmbAustin says:

Uh, no… the double-click speed is exactly what I want.  IE needs to behave correctly here.

9. Mike Dimmick says:

@Bward: No date has been announced. However, for IE10, the Update Blocker Toolkit was released on 30 January 2013 and the browser itself on 26 February. It was added to the Windows Update Catalog on 12 March, and automatic updates started shortly after I believe, although I can't find a date. So I'd guess that we're about a month away from IE11/Windows 7's release (probably 26 November if MS stick to the fourth Tuesday), and automatic updates are likely to start on the next Security Patch release date, 10 December.

If IE11/Windows 7 turns out to be released *this* month (22 October is most likely, if so) then it's possible it could be as soon as 12 November, but I'd expect it to be later rather than sooner.

10. Mac says:

@pmbAustin: yes, that looks like a bug. A double click on the scrollbar area below the thumb is equivalent to three single clicks.

That's most likely a bug; if you reported this on connect, please drop a link so that we can upvote it.

11. Arieta says:

OK, found an… interesting bug.

I've reported that the KB2879017 "Cumulative security update for IE11 preview" caused IE11 to fall into an endless loop of crash and recovery. On a blank new user account, this did not happen, so I went ahead and started fiddling with the IE settings to find out the cause.

The cause was pretty odd, I imagine it's a security conflict of some kind. Go to Internet Settings -> Colours -> check the checkbox for "use Windows Colours" (optionally, select an alternate background colour). Then close and reopen IE11, and browse around a bit.

I've yet to find out exactly what attribute on a page causes the crash, but if you open any RSS feed in the internal feed viewer, it will enter a crash and recovers loop for sure.

This does not happen without the windows update patch mentioned above.

12. Arieta says:

Whoops, I meant, UNCHECK "use windows colors" to trigger the crashing.

13. __hAl__ says:

IE team, could you please send this post:

blogs.msdn.com/…/same-markup-writing-cross-browser-code.aspx

to your colleagues at the Outlook Web Access team who are unable tot use feature detection and now present their basic version pages to IE11 whereas IE09/IE10 is served a full featured OWA site.