IEAK 10 now available for Windows 7 and Windows 8

Internet Explorer Administration Kit 10 (IEAK 10) now supports building custom Internet Explorer 10 packages for Windows 7 and Windows 8. IEAK 10 simplifies the creation, deployment, and management of customized Internet Explorer 10 packages. You can download IEAK 10 from http://ieak.microsoft.com.

• Kevin Luu, Program Manager, Internet Explorer

1. Anonymous says:

My Win 7  is configured to install important updates automatically.

Is it normal?

2. Anonymous says:

Hated IE9, & uninstalled. Feel the same about IE10, for the same reason.  There are compatibility issues (I end up having to use Chrome), on both the 32 & 64 bit vs's I have installed. My biggest gripe, however, is usability.  IE8 has a favorites menu to the left of the favorites bar. It's impossible & impractical to have all favorites on the bar, so I like this feature. In addition, when the IE8 favorites menu is opened and expanded, the individual bookmarks expand down, rather than to the right.  This makes it MUCH easier to mouse navigate. Opening to the right, the menu closes if you accidentally hover off.

3. Anonymous says:

Is IE10 the last browser Microsoft will ever release?

4. Anonymous says:

Speak spanish

5. @Mir: "Is IE10 the last browser Microsoft will ever release?"

Doubt it as screenshots from IE11 in Windows Blue have already appeared on the web!

6. @Pablo "My Win 7  is configured to install important updates automatically. I see the IE 10 update but it is not getting installed automatically for over a week now."

I have the same question too! IE10 is listed as an "Important Update" in Windows Update, however it is unselected by default!! – So how can it be classed as an "Important" update, if it's not selected by default in Windows Update!!?

Come on Microsoft!! Automatically deploy IE10 to regular users already!!!!

7. Anonymous says:

I'm in the process of making a full transition to IE10. chrome and firefox are a joke

8. Anonymous says:

My WIN 7 updated IE10 then mistake "windows is checking for a solution to the proplem", can you help for me ?

9. Anonymous says:

When will IE10 for Windows 7 be fixed to show the propped chrome for Windows 7?

I upgraded to IE10 but the UI from Metro looks absolutely retarded on Windows 7.

I specifically didn't switch to Windows 8 because of the UI and now it has infected my Windows 7 install.

Not pleased at all. I will have to downgrade to IE9 if this isn't going to be fixed. I hate the scrollbars with a severe passion! Totally un user friendly!

10. Anonymous says:

Metro UI is pretty decent without any flashy looks but straightforward and bold. Besides IE 10 is complying with most of the W3C and ECMA standards. But apparently some people are decidedly hating anything that Microsoft releases. If you are one of those chumps , don't bother posting on MS blogs.

Happy browsing!

11. Anonymous says:

Hey it's Mr. @posterName! (Aka anonymous MS troll boy!)

Glad to see you didn't leave us – we miss your un-insightful rants and unwavering bias towards Microsoft and utter hatred for Google.

The Metro UI has been discused by many usability experts on many forums and many lectures.  The consensus is that although Microsoft scores points for going with simplicity they made more than a few gaffs with their design and actually reduced the usability.

1) losing the hover events in mouse driven operating systems is a major step backwards

2) dropping the 3D shapes makes the chrome less discoverable

3) the lack of shadows and borders reduces the context of what is being observed and how components interact (Steve Krug's book "Don't make me think"!!! Read it!!!!)

4) the discoverability of clickable page objects is drastically reduced… The settings menu in Windows 8 is particularly bad.

I seriously hope that Windows Blue addresses a lot of these mistakes (as there's no chance Microsoft will admit to these mistakes while it is their primary selling OS)

12. Anonymous says:

Can you at least admit that updating of TPLs is not working in IE10 (Windows 7 & 8) ?

13. Anonymous says:

Do we really need this kind of package? IE10 installs automatically on Windows 7, and is preinstalled in Windows 8. It doesn't run on Vista and earlier, so why again does an admin "need" to build custom packages?

14. Anonymous says:

Since IE10 was automatically installed, I can attach anything in g-mail and the internet loses the connection about every 4-5 minutes.

15. @Tomislav: Post repro steps please. My TPLs are working without any problems in IE10 on both Win7 and Win8.  @Martijn: IT administrators (typically at big companies) like to create special IE configurations, particularly to adjust security for their Intranet sites and the like.

16. Anonymous says:

@Troy

I actually have many similar feelings as you.  I'm happy to stay on Win7 until Win8's split personality disorder is better controlled.  And regarding IE10 on Win7, my first reaction was similarly negative: oh no! What was wrong with the old scroll bars!

I decided to give IE10 a week on one of my computers, and I'm able to say that while I don't prefer the Win8 scrollbars, especially when the Win7 scrollbars show up in every other program, I hardly notice them anymore.  If you don't have the luxury of multiple computers, there's nothing wrong with keeping IE9 for a while longer.  IE10 doesn't have many new UI features (other than the non-feature of some Win8 styling), but spell checking alone is reason enough for me to prefer IE10 over IE9.  I also feel that some sites load and scroll quicker and smoother than with IE9.  I didn't initially notice much of a speed up, but I reverted back to IE9 for a week after using IE10 for a couple weeks, and I could tell that IE9 wasn't as snappy with some sites.

So while I'm not excited about the scroll bars, I don't see how they are "Totally un user friendly!"  Inconsistent on a Win7 machine? Sure.  A shameless scheme to get customers familiar with Win8? Of course.  But what's unfriendly about larger targets to click to scroll up or down?  The goal was probably to be touch friendly, but this is one of the few touch-inspired changes that in my opinion isn't less friendly for a mouse user.  (The horizontal scrolling start screen is a different story, but this isn't a Win8 blog.)  I'm not excited about the low contrast of the scrollbar, but you either see it or you don't, and there is sufficient contrast to instantly see where in the page I am, at least on my monitor.

I agree with most of your points about Metro UI, but what do they have to do with IE10 on Win7?  The content of IE10 is almost entirely driven by the websites you visit, which don't really change between IE9 and IE10.  (Notwithstanding the silly scrollbars, but I don't see a usability issue there.)

17. Anonymous says:

@EricLaw

TPLs are working fine but they are not automatically updating like they did in IE9.I have to reinstall them to update

them.You can check the date of TPL (right click-more informations).

18. Anonymous says:

@S

This is totally off-topic, but I share your concern for the scrollbars. Although not the biggest issue of IE10, when putting IE10 in IE9-or-earlier mode, it should display the "classic" scrollbars, because the layout engine of that older browser normal does so, too.

@Microsoft: you should fix this.

19. Anonymous says:

@S, thanks for sharing my concerns on bashing Microsoft corp. Keep it up pal and keep ranting against M$. Apple and Google rules, MS sux.

20. pmbAustin says:

@EricLaw

I said I'd post when it happened again, and it happened again last night.  I had ten tabs open in IE10 on Windows 8 Pro.  Suddenly, the facebook tab stopped rendering the top bar (notifications, home link, settings link… the blue bar across the top was just gone).  You could mouse over and see the cursor change, so it's still there and active, but not visible.

So I checked task manager.  Sure enough, there was the same problem with the iexplorer.exe processes.  In particular, there were only two.  One very small, and one over 900,000K.  Killing that one, killed and reloaded ALL the tabs. ALL the tabs were in ONE process somehow.

I see this regularly.  One iexplore.exe process will get over 700,000K in Task Manager, and one or more tabs become less-than-responsive, and things stop rendering, even in common dialogs.

I didn't see a problem with handles in the process (it was in the low thousands, not high thousands like you mentioned earlier).

21. Anonymous says: