IE 9.0.8 Available via Windows Update

The July 2012 Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer is now available via Windows Update. This security update resolves two privately reported vulnerabilities in Internet Explorer. The vulnerabilities could allow remote code execution if a user views a specially crafted Web page using Internet Explorer. An attacker who successfully exploited any of these vulnerabilities could gain the same user rights as the current user. Users whose accounts are configured to have fewer user rights on the system could be less impacted than users who operate with administrative user rights. This security update is rated Critical for Internet Explorer 9 on Windows clients and Moderate for Internet Explorer 9 on Windows servers. For more information, see the full bulletin.

Most customers have enabled automatic updating and do not need to take any action. We recommend that customers, who have not enabled automatic updating, enable it (Start Menu, type “Windows Update”). We recommend that administrators, enterprise installations, and end users who want to install this security update manually, apply the update immediately using update management software or by checking for updates using the Microsoft Update service.

—Tyson Storey, Program Manager, Internet Explorer

1. Arieta says:

Can we ask when/if we can expect IE10 to be released in any form for Windows 7?

2. Ann Khan says:

Thanks for the heads-up!

@Arieta, IE 9.0.8 is out. IE10 will be available for Windows 7 once the IE10 RTM is out. According to the latest speculation, we are looking at late-October 2012.

3. Microsofts Wednesday July 11th Agenda says:

Microsofts Wednesday July 11th Agenda

1.) Fix the IE Blog Comment system

2.) Post an update about full flash support in Metro without the censorship list

3.) Windows 7 version of IE10 beta so that developers can actually test IE10 – something they can't easily do now

4.) Publish a post regarding Metro support of other browsers – will we be able to upgrade IE10 Metro to a Metro version of Chrome or Firefox?! Especially if that is the only way businesses and users can get complete flash support

All of this should be accomplish-able by lunchtime.

4. Martijn says:

Boooooring.

When does Microsoft start fixing actual bugs, not just security issues? Usually layout engine have quirks and at MS they are not fixed until years later in an entire new release that doesn't run on the platform the previous version runs on. Firefox, Chrome and Opera get bugfixes (actual bugs!) every so often and are updated almost fully automatically. Also, the latest and greatest version still run fine on XP. I don't see MS achieving that.

5. Janson says:

@Martinjn MS does fix bugs in a number of these security updates – see support.microsoft.com/…/2565653 and support.microsoft.com/…/2589908 as examples.  However, I wish the IE team would be more upfront about which bugs are fixes in the Cumulative 'Security' updates – just a list to the relevant KB articles would suffice.  It would also assist in determining if an area of the code has been touched which may introduce a regression of functionality…

6. Latest IE9 Builds :

IE9 x86 (Update Version 9.0.8) : go.microsoft.com/fwlink

IE9 x64 (Update Version 9.0.8) : go.microsoft.com/fwlink

7. Snark Maiden says:

@agenda

"Metro support of other browsers – will we be able to upgrade IE10 Metro to a Metro version of Chrome or Firefox?!"

You should ask Google & Firebox what they're putting in them, but they are both working on Metro versions of their browsers – Metro Chrome is already available IIRC.

8. Tom says:

Have there been any fixes in the latest IE update to reduce the overal memory consumption?  IE 9 64bit takes upwards of 100mb per tab when viewing mostly static web pages msdn.microsoft.com, microsoft.com, etc.

This ram usage dramatically slows our normal desktop user given they have outlook, word, excel and 4-5 IE 9 tabs open at the same time

9. yuhong2 says:

"However, I wish the IE team would be more upfront about which bugs are fixes in the Cumulative 'Security' updates – just a list to the relevant KB articles would suffice."

This list already exist in the KB article corrosponding to the update. Look at the "GDR fixes" section.

10. Typhoon87 says:

Yuhong Bao:

I think what Janson may have meant is a list of fixes which could make it into the next upadate. For example will they fix the cell skip bug which is in Connect as Bug 665694 (this bug also has two duplicates linked to it). Is this bug scheduled to be fixed in an upcoming update?

11. Martijn says:

@Tom

Memory usage is no problem as long as it's available. 'Firefox is the one doing it wrong: it hogs all available memory and beyond! Even if it has to get it from swap, it shall get all memory and eat your performance for breakfast. I haven't seen IE9 do such things.

12. tonyk says:

i wonder where is IE going in the future

13. Mario says:

Hello IE team, I believe you guys should try to like add a feature to stop scrolling with arrow keys, and more html5 support like opera and chrome and even firefox has.. lets face the fact IE is like links a little but a little better and faster but not faster then firefox.

14. @Martijn says:

no Firefox is the winner in using less memory:

Chrome and IE are the worst browsers in term of memory usage when you have multiple tabs open ;)

15. mue says:

Nice, nice. But when will my bookmarks able to be neat by usage of seperators? Or when will imported bookmarks not be sorted alphabetically but rather as saved within the source bookmarks.htm? By golly…

16. Microsofts Thursday July 12th Agenda says:

Microsofts Thursday July 12th Agenda

1.) Fix the IE Blog Comment system

All of this should be accomplish-able by lunchtime.

17. Peter says:

Where to you go to report bugs with IE9?

On Connect it seems only reports for IE10 are being accepted.

Just had a problem where the link to download a zip file on github failed with IE 9 (Win7Pro 64bit) telling me it couldn't find the file after a bit of a pause whilst in FF 13.0.1, the link works instantly! (github.com/…/gocardless-dotnet)

Not bigging up FF here either I used IE9 as my main browser but have most of the others due my work and testing.

18. Dave T says:

@Peter – this is a well known IE bug.  In an odd case of Microsoft actually following the specs… they took the HTTP header of no-cache too literally when served up on HTTPS.

When IE is served up a link to a file on HTTPS with a cache setting that says "don't cache me" it does the following…

It does download the file and puts it in the "Temporary Internet Files" directory… it then says "hey… other app that handles Zip files… PDF… XLS… or whatever… I have a file for you to open!… here's the pointer to the file!"

Then it looks at the cache setting and says… Hold on! I'm not allowed to cache this file! and then DELETES IT!  and thus when your other app opens it gets the (now) invalid file handle and chokes/pukes/throws a file error/corrupt message.

The resolution is to ensure that on ALL downloadable files (ZIP, PDF, DOC, XLS, etc) served up on HTTPS have either NO explicit setting to not cache… or do have an explicit cache setting of at least 60 seconds or so.

Note: The bug doesn't affect all versions of IE… some are more prone than others but from any testing I've done its purely random… not tied to a specific setting I can find… nor a specific build.

Note 2: The issue increases in frequency if the window that is "pushing" the attachment file is actually an IFRAME within some other page… or is a POPUP window launched with NO other renderable HTML content.

Since the behavior "technically" follows the HTTP specs (even though it is completely retarded) they don't intend to change the behavior last I heard from Eric Lawrence.

I think this is one of those cases where indicating that there are known issues and providing a "fix" makes it appear like they are admitting to a bug – and Microsoft historically is very, very, very shy of admitting that they have a bug… something that drives developers nuts – transparency is much more desirable.

19. Ian says:

@Peter and @Dave T:

Are you sure it still happens in IE 9.0.8 and IE10RP? Clear cache and re-verify if you can reproduce in IE9.0.8 (latest release) and IE10RP.

Also, send me the link to public test case or Fiddler2 (the desktop app) script.

Meanwhile, connect.microsoft.com/…/ie-still-treats-cache-control-no-cache-as-no-store here is your bug report. Feel free to assert your thoughts.

Press "I can too" on connect bug report.

20. Steve says:

@Ian – we can't send you a test case because A.) we have nowhere to send it and B.) the nature of this bug is HTTPS, this private data we can't share with Microsoft.

However I can confirm that IE9 is still affected… I don't know if IE10 has fixed this but I can't test it as IE10 is not available for installing on Windows7 yet which we need in order to test.

21. surfer says:

IE 9 still crashes when having two browsers open and you close one of them that hasn't loaded the page completely. Fx. a popup. Often a site with a lot of flash objects on.

22. Ian says:

@Steve, you may provide a live example on some public website using HTTPs like Peter mentioned about github HTTPs download page (where unfortunately I am unable to reproduce the issue… @Peter can you explain the reproduction steps for Github?). You can post the link here or reply on connect bug report. You can also attach a file on my public bug-report on connect. I got the following reply from Microsoft team:

URL connect.microsoft.com/…/ie-still-treats-cache-control-no-cache-as-no-store

Thank you for your feedback.

We appreciate your time and effort.

In order to expedite the investigation of this issue, please attach a sample page or url that reproduces this issue.

Best regards,

The Internet Explorer Team

23. Ian says:

@surfer, I have same issues on Firefox on MintOS and Fedora with flash websites. But folks on Bugzilla asked me to provide links and tangible way to reproduce the issue. But its very subject, it doesn't happen always.. Its dependent on which programs were running and the environment etc. If you know the exact steps to reproduce this issue and which prove the issue is persistent, please scribble them down, so I will post both on Bugzilla and Connect.

24. surfer says:

@Ian, I don't remember what sites makes it crash but it sometimes does when I download something and I browse on other sites. Even google sometimes makes it crash when loading many pictures.

25. Ian says:

@surfer, then may be its the BHO issue (third-party extensions/plugins).. you can reset your browser and see if the problem persist. To reset you browser, press Alt+X+O, under Advanced tab press reset button. Check the checkbox and press Ok. Close and reopen your browser and try to reproduce the issue. Also, after you reset the browser, if you are using Windows 7, click Start > type Problem Steps Recorder and use it while you try to reproduce this issue. You may refer to the below provided link and check if the steps provided assist you – windows.microsoft.com/…/How-do-I-use-Problem-Steps-Recorder

After you able to reproduce the problem, share the zip file generated by Problem Steps Recorder on skydrive and post your link here. Alternatively, create a bug report on http://connect.microsoft.com and attach files with the bug report.  The tool will aquire all the states and event of the affiliated system and gather enough information to reproduce and diagnose the problem at Microsoft labs.

26. surfer says:

If you open ie browser and go to youtube and click on a video (just a random video) and then minimize the browser and open a new one. I have google as start page but i don't think it matters. Then minimize that one too and open a third browser and close it again. Then youtube crashes and reloads at me. Not the one google site.

Btw. I'm using another language on my computer.

27. surfer says:

I tried reset the browser by the way and there's no difference.

28. Mickey08 says:

I am having major problems with ie9/vista – it is not allowing me to open webistes and pdf files after the last cumulative update 7/11.  I have unistalled it and everything works fine for a little while and then it must update again becuase it starts all over agains with all the problems.  What do I need to do? get rid of ie9 and go to Firefox?  I am getting very frustrated.

29. surfer says:

I can't find IE9 on microsoft connect.

30. chris says:

can you add the plus into the ie as the chrom and firefox.