IE 9.0.6 Available via Windows Update

The April 2012 Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer is now available via Windows Update. This security update resolves five privately reported vulnerabilities in Internet Explorer. The most severe vulnerabilities could allow remote code execution if a user visits a specially crafted Web page using Internet Explorer. An attacker who successfully exploited any of these vulnerabilities could gain the same user rights as the local user. Users whose accounts are configured to have fewer user rights on the system could be less affected than users who operate with administrative user rights.

This security update is rated Critical for Internet Explorer 6, Internet Explorer 7, Internet Explorer 8, and Internet Explorer 9 on Windows clients and Moderate for Internet Explorer 6, Internet Explorer 7, Internet Explorer 8, and Internet Explorer 9 on Windows servers. For more information, see the full bulletin.

Most customers have enabled automatic updating and do not need to take any action. We recommend that customers, who have not enabled automatic updating, enable it (Start Menu, type “Windows Update”). We recommend that administrators, enterprise installations, and end users who want to install this security update manually, apply the update immediately using update management software or by checking for updates using the Microsoft Update service.

—Tyson Storey, Program Manager, Internet Explorer

1. Curious Speed Tester says:

I have a question: When IE loads javascript files from the internet for a page, does it recomplie the javascript on another page if the assest has not changed? What happens "under the covers" for these resources?

Trying to decide to combine and minify all my javascript for my site into one file (and reference it anywhere), or different (unique) files per page based on what the page uses.

Any insight would be great!

2. Peter says:

Curious Speed Test: Hell of a way to stay on topic.

3. Steve says:

@Curious Speed Tester – If the URI for your JavaScript stays the same e.g. "http://www.example.com/…/foo.js" and your server serves it up with proper Expires/Cache-control headers then IE will cache it so that it can be re-used for other pages on your site. (e.g. it won't re-request it from your server).

Does IE re-compile it? I'm not 100% sure but I presume it does.

PS – To the IE Blog "gods" – please fix the comment form on this blog! It's only been broken for 6 years now!

4. hAl says:

19 months since IE9 beta.

When can we expect IE10 beta ?

5. @hAl says:

IE10 beta is available in W8 CP.

If you want it for W7, you'll need to wait for W8 RC or even W8 Gold stage.

6. etacarinae says:

Any feature updates? Like, say, oh… I don't know… some semblance of customisability that was available in previous iterations of IE? IE. ability to drag various interface elements around and lock them? How about the option to add the separate search bar back? How about the "Tab List" being returned?

7. Qian Xu says:

I am quite confused now. In the About dialog, the "Version" label is "9.0.8.8112.16421", the "Update Versions" label is 9.0.6. What is the latest version of MSIE9? 9.0.8 or 9.0.6? All my installed versions came automatically from Windows Update.

8. Martijn Saly says:

"Obviously IE10 requires some core W7 changes which is not where MS should spend time right now."

Really? Why? Internet Explorer is a browser, an application not unline Firefox or Opera, and those browsers work fine on even older windowses. Microsoft should put more effort in making their browser work across platforms, not making platform adapt themselves to a browser.

9. hAl says:

"IE10 beta is available in W8 CP."

Which is useless since W8 does not install on my laptop

Also it is irrelevant to the point that IE9 beta is 19 months ago whilst IE10 has not been released as a beta yet thus IE10 is 19 months behind IE9 and counting.

IE team should be aiming for a yearly release at least.

10. 8675309 says:

any clue on why the xp vhd(version 04/04/12 expiry:July 26, 2012) says expired eval buy retail copy?

11. hAl says:

Leaked roadmap shows IE10 on it and predicts following updates for IE only every two years.

Poor

i.zdnet.com/…/mvisserroadmap2.png

12. John W says:

IE V9.0.8112.16421 under Win 7 32 bit – I find IE9 is leaving all sorts of orphaned Iexplorer processes running after being closed.  At times I see 4-6 Iexplorer processes in task manager when IE is closed.  Only way to get rid of them is via task manager "End Program".  Are there any known bugs of this sort?  jmwerner@cfl.rr.com

13. CoyCoy says:

@John W, reboot your machine. Then open IE9 and open some websites in seprate tabs. Close IE and wait for 3-8 seconds and open Task manager > Processes and see if any iexplore process exists! I just checked it and it terminated the processes successfully. I had opened 9 tabs.

@IEblog, its sad to find out that there is no progress in these matters:

connect.microsoft.com/…/a-dom-manipulation-test-ie-performance

connect.microsoft.com/…/ie-amnesia-forgets-all-user-preferences

14. heyjohnboy says:

I'm hoping for significantly improved compatibility in IE 10. I still can't do something as basic as buy a song on Amazon on my Vista machine running IE 9, and I've seen some serious incompatibilities with IE 9 on my W7 machines too, such as WYSIWYG interfaces not functioning properly, but they work fine in Firefox, Chrome AND Safari. Please Microsoft, new features are nice, but compatibility is crucial. Thanks!

15. Klimax says:

@heyjohnboy :

Such things might be cases of severely botched version detections. (They use proper way for other browser, but "ignore" or have bug in detection of newer versions for IE. And it is unfortunately very widespread bug.)

It can be often trivially fixed: Either you can try compatibility mode, which is designed for these cases or in Developer tools change identification of browser to one of other browsers and see if it fixes page.

16. new bajaj pulsar says:

17. Kyle says:

I've been doing research into IE on Windows Phones (I figure in a year or two they might be popular enough that I'll need to provide some level of support for them**) however we've discovered that the browser capabilities are significantly sub-par, and attempts to properly read window/viewport width/height/offset values from JavaScript is inaccurate.

Will IE10 be ported to windows phone as an update when it launches on the desktop/tablets?  I can't help but feel that the IE Blog is not doing its part to keep developers informed about IE's mobile strategy.  Mobile Web is the #1 concern amongst many developers today but Microsoft is not doing much (if anything) to keep us informed about where IE on mobile is at and where it is going.

thanks,

kyle

and just in case it hasn't been mentioned recently the blog comment submission problem is still here on the IE blog. It doesn't show that Microsoft has much skill with Web design when a simple comment form on their most prized Internet property for web development fails at its #1 (and most basic) feature. 🙁

18. @Kyle says:

"** currently we sniff the user agent and if we detect windows phone we redirect to a page with link to purchase a modern smartphone from Apple, RIM, or Google."

So your goal is to make your website look like a joke?

19. alvatrus says:

@Kyle: The comment system isn't broken. It's a feature.

20. Robbie says:

This is not positive news on the Lumia 900 and IE9 is the cause

21. Klimax says:

I don't how they tested, but so far no problems – even with their website. It's identical to regular IE9 rendering. It might be caused by different mode of operation as I use desktop version of websites.

So, article is badly written as it lacks needed info…

22. Darrel says:

@ "@Kyle" – I don't think this is a problem at all? If IE on mobile is as bad as I recall when I tested 3 months ago then yeah go ahead and sniff that browser and provide alternatives.  I'd personally try to point them to another browser that they can install on their device (e.g. Firefox or Opera) but those browsers might not be available.

In fact when I looked it up, Microsoft explicitly blocks 3rd party developers from making web browsers for Windows Mobile phones:

windowsphone.uservoice.com/…/2570759-allow-alternative-browsers-like-opera-mobile-to-en

Its fairly obvious why.  Why would Microsoft want other browsers on their phone that make their mobile-IE look like the AOL browser in an era when every other smartphone out there has a kick butt webkit, gecko or presto based browser?

Its just unfortunate that the end user/consumer of the windows phone suffers with a sub standard browser because Microsoft doesn't want to admit they lost the browser war on mobile.

As for my sites, my user agent sniffing delivers all windows phone devices the IE6 version of my sites.  It isn't pretty, in fact it is pretty darn ugly, but they get the content they need.

According to our Google Analytics.. Windows phone accounts for less than 1% of all of our mobile traffic.  32% iOS, 27% BlackBerry, 34% android, 7% other, 0.21% windows phone.

thus for the what???… 3 people on the planet with a Windows phone… they can deal with the IE6 version of the site… I'm not going to compensate for their poor choice of mobile device.

23. Klimax says:

@Darrel:

Doesn't sound like browser I use on WP7, considering that engine is same as IE9 on desktop. And browser sniffing, is wrong.

Be sure you tested IE from Mango(WP 7.5) not original WP7. (Maybe if problem is in mobile rendering, suggest to users to switch to dekstop mode – DIdn't so far observe any problems with it. It's default for me.)

24. Trevor says:

@Darrel Windows Phone 7 did ship with an insanely out of date port of IE from the IE6 code stream and thus any site looked terrible in it.  As @Klimax above mentions for users that updated to WP 7.5 it also included a massive upgrade to the browser to be ported from the IE9 codebase.

Thus it should be fairly capable of modern stuff like SVG and HTML5 but it will still have major bugs with things like innerHTML until it gets refreshed from the IE10 codebase that includes those fixes.

Browser Sniffing always gets a bad name but there are definite pluses to doing it.  Its very helpful when you have a browser that "says" it supports a given DOM manipulation method but the implementation is flawed and invalid. e.g. sniffing for IE7 and below is fine if you want to provide an alternative means to set the "name" attribute on an input field… because as we all know IE6 and IE7 had major bugs with "read-only" attributes that even if you did manage to change them for the HTTP form submission they still failed to update the JS DOM.

Sniffing the agent for Windows Phone and forcing them to an upgrade page is interesting.  On the one hand this wouldn't affect many users because Windows Phones haven't gained any market share yet but even for those that do get re-directed you can't tell them to download a different browser because Microsoft blocks all other superior browsers on their phone… and you could tell them to upgrade their phone by buying another one but most users are locked into a 2-3year contract and can't ditch their windows phone without paying a hefty penalty.

As for the Windows Phone JS support there have been many issues that have been dug up by @ppk and thus IE continues to be problematic on mobile just as it is on the desktop.  Its a rough call to deny support for Windows Phone users (as they didn't choose their browser, it was forced on them) but I understand why developers would rather not support it.  I know I won't be supporting it any time soon.

25. Klimax says:

@Trevor

Browser sniffing (mainly when not updated) tends to present broken site when visited with newer browser. (Already seen)

Anyway so long as you don't do stupid things like blocking and let us use desktop version of site, I don't think we'll mind. (BTW: "Superior" might be quite debatable.)

26. Xero says:

@Darrel , @Kyle,

Are you kidding me? Or you guys are just a whinning trolls..

I have full javascript driven (jQuery animation, HTML5 with MooTools games) web based projects and you dont need to do anything "extra" to give support for IE9 for WP if you have provided support for IE9 for Windows. Now, if you are not trollings, let me know what your problem is I will help you with DOM JS issues for IE9 (either phone or pc – coz it has a same code base! check out the build keynotes for mango).

One tip though: like happen in iOS and Android, you can switch to Desktop version when browsing on native browser.

27. Xero says:

… One tip though: like happen in iOS and Android, you can switch to Desktop version when browsing on native browsers to avoid some rendering issues.

28. still no mathml support for ie browsers says:

still no native mathml support for ie browsers….

May be in IE version 666 ?

29. Jim says:

@Klimax – regarding "Superior"… all of my browsers have supported the .innerHTML setter on select lists and tables since they implemented it was implemented.  IE is the only browser that **STILL** doesn't have a shipping browser with full support for this.

Which in pretty much insane considering that Microsoft was the one that invented this property… and they've known and admitted they've had this bug for over 16 years! **YES THAT IS SIXTEEN!!!!**

IE is and always has been… the EPIC FAIL WHALE.

30. Klimax says:

@Jim: If that is your criterium, then I wouldn't want to know how big epic fails are other browsers…

31. Gillian says:

@Klimax it is actually a very important bug to get fixed.  We all know that setting the innerHTML is the fastest way to dump content into the DOM.  the 2 places where we typically want to dump in a bunch of data… is into a Table… or a dropdown list… e.g. a Select element.

Considering that IE doesn't support this properly on the TWO KEY ELEMENTS that developers want to use it on it is well and truly a FAIL.  might not be EPIC level but when you consider that its taken well over a decade to get this fixed… and it still hasn't made it to the public? well,… yeah… in that case it is an EPIC FAIL.