Launch Options for Internet Explorer 10 on Windows 8

IE10 is a new browsing experience built in lockstep with Windows 8 to give you all the advantages that Metro style applications offer. We built that experience by extending IE’s underlying architecture to provide a fast, fully hardware accelerated browsing engine with strong security and support for HTML5 and other Web standards. IE10 also includes a desktop experience for when you are using desktop tools and wish to continue using them in your existing workflows.

Following last September’s release of the Windows 8 Developer Preview, we heard a lot about giving you the option to control which experience of Internet Explorer—Metro style or on the desktop —to launch when clicking a link in another application. In the Windows Consumer Preview, IE10 offers you that control.

By default, Windows 8 Consumer Preview opens links using the flavor of Internet Explorer that matches your current environment: if you’re running a Metro style application, following a link launches Metro style IE10; if you’re running a desktop application, following a link launches IE10 on the desktop. You can override this default behavior using the Programs tab of the Internet Properties dialog.

Screen shot of the Programs tab of the Windows 8 Internet Properties dialog showing the option for choosing how Internet Explorer opens links.

You can locate these settings quickly by using the Start screen’s search capability and searching for terms such as “links,” “launch,” or “open links.” Show below is the result of search for the term “launch.”

Screen shot of a Settings section of the Windows 8 Start search results page when "launch" is searched for. "Choose how you open Internet Explorer" is selected in the search results.

The following sections describe the available settings.

Opening Links

The first setting of the Browser Launch Settings (labeled “Choose how you open links”) controls what happens when you click a link in another program. Your choices include:

Options for Opening Links Behavior
Let Internet Explorer decide Launch links based on the environment you are in
Always in Internet Explorer Launch links in the Windows 8 (Metro style) environment
Always in Internet Explorer on the desktop Launch links in the desktop environment

The default for this setting is “Let Internet Explorer decide.” In other words, links will launch into the appropriate experience based on the invoking context—desktop or Metro style. Links will open in the desktop IE10 when a link is clicked from a desktop application, for example, Microsoft Word, and in Metro style IE10 when a link is opened from a Metro style application.

Opening Internet Explorer from the Start Screen

In addition to controlling how Windows opens links, the Browser Launch Settings also provide users with options on how Internet Explorer application tiles launch from the Start screen. Internet Explorer’s application tile is the default launching point for the browser on the Start screen. You create pinned site tiles when you pin sites to the Start screen. The setting “Open Internet Explorer tiles on the desktop” controls what happens when you click the Internet Explorer or pinned site tile.

Options for opening Internet Explorer Tiles Expected behavior
(unchecked) Launch in the Windows 8 (Metro style) environment
(checked) Launch in the desktop environment

Launch Options and Browser Defaults

IE10 is available in both Metro style and desktop experiences when it is the default browser. If Internet Explorer is not your default browser, only desktop IE is available and you cannot change IE’s Browser Launch Settings. The “Choose how you open links” option on the Programs tab of the Internet Properties dialog will be disabled (“grayed out”) when IE is not the default browser:

Screen shot of the Programs tab of the Windows 8 Internet Properties dialog showing the option for choosing how Internet Explorer opens links disabled because IE10 is not the default browser.

To change the default browser, type “default” on the Windows 8 Start screen. The Start screen will search apps, settings, and files for this term. The Apps results will include Default Programs. Touch or click it to bring up the Default Programs control panel item. From its list of options, select “Set your default programs” to display a page containing a list of programs on the left.

Screen shot of the Set Default Programs control panel item showing "Internet Explorer" selected in the list of programs and "Set this program as default" being selected.

Select “Internet Explorer” and then click or touch “Set this program as default.” This will set IE10 as the default browser on Windows 8 and enable its Metro style experience.

Conclusion

IE10 offers you a full-screen, immersive site experience. We’ve found that many people – even those with the most enthusiastic and intense browsing patterns – prefer Metro style browsing because it’s less manual and more focused on what you browse than on how you browse. That said, for some browsing, IE on the desktop continues to play an important role. The Browser Launch Settings allow you to change the default settings for a “no compromises” experience.

Try out these settings, and let us know what you think. We look forward to your feedback here and on Connect.

—Kevin Luu, Program Manager, Internet Explorer

1. FremyCompany says:

Good for powser users, but most people will not understand. I hope you'll get the default right (ie: depending on hardware where Windows is run on).

2. jader3rd says:

Couldn't we just have two tiles on the start screen, one for metro and one for desktop?

3. Anonymous says:

I’m glad that we now have an option to choose the Internet Explorer 10 (desktop) as our default web browser. Frankly, I was forced to go to Internet Explorer 10 (metro) because opening link from another application will launch Internet Explorer 10 (metro). I can see why the touch-first UI of Internet Explorer 10 (metro) matters for tablet or other PCs of smaller form factors. To me however, Internet Explorer 10 (desktop) works fine and offers me greatest functionality (with the support of third-party / legacy add-ons) and compatibility. Internet Explorer 10 (metro) is a limited environment where I’ll likely to run into problems fairly often, which makes it unsuitable for default web-browsing environment. Perhaps, many people would like less manual or more automatic operation. But technology is not about more automatic only; it’s also about increase of efficiency and functionality. A hidden message of “more automatic” is less control, which often makes the tool unusable in many scenarios. As of today, I’m not still convinced how or why I need / want a tablet PC; it may be mobile but it’s definitely a lot less useful when the ‘touch’ is the main input method.

To Microsoft’s credit, Microsoft does add a ‘View on Desktop’ option in Internet Explorer 10 (metro), which allows Internet Explorer 10 (metro) user to switch to the desktop version when he runs into problems. Going forward, most apps that matter to me personally will continue to be desktop apps. The desktop environment is good for multi-tasking, which brings another reason for me to use Internet Explorer 10 (metro) an appropriate choice. In metro environment, I may see two running apps (metro) at once. In desktop environment, I can see all running apps (desktop) on the taskbar while having a Window maximized; or I can have several Windows overlapped each other.

That said I’ve to agree that metro environment is really about more contents and less controls, which may sound attractive to many people. On the other hand, it also means a less useful environment to me.

4. Anonymous says:

How about an option to allow plug-ins inside Metro IE10 ?

5. Anonymous says:

More like, how about a decent plug-in engine to begin with? One that doesn't need plugins to be installed as separate apps, but as plugins inside the browser.

6. Anonymous says:

why not just have 1 browser with two user interfaces intead of two browsers with two user interfaces….

7. rseiler says:

I want IE10 available in both Metro style and desktop experiences when it is NOT the default browser. Will this ever be possible?  Just because I use another default browser on the desktop, shouldn't mean that I can't use IE Metro.

8. Anonymous says:

"IE10 offers you a full-screen, immersive site experience. We’ve found that many people – even those with the most enthusiastic and intense browsing patterns – prefer Metro style browsing because it’s less manual and more focused on what you browse than on how you browse."

Again this same crap. Copy&Paste? Let me guess, Sinofsky Copy, you Paste.

On Metro, one click Metro IE, double click Desktop IE.

9. Anonymous says:

When the Metro misadventure finally crashes, burns, and gets scrapped by order of the suddenly-conscious upper management, I'll be glad this option was available.  Thank you for adding it.

10. Anonymous says:

I love IE10 Metro. Is minimalistic, easy to use, and it focus the web page like any other browser (even with full-screen mode). I can see is potential, but it needs more usability for mouse users.

Please, show the tabs menu just by moving the mouse to the upper side of the screen. Allow to use at least Silverlight and Flash plug in (using a white list could help to save battery). Add historial and favorites menu. Allow to move the pinned sites on the new tab page. A better favicon recognition for pinning sites.

And please, fix IE10 freezes when visit some pages. Browsing Hotmail or XDA Developers is almost imposible.

11. Anonymous says:

I love this post very much. But I feel the design of the address bar need improvement. For example, the google chrome has long address bar. I guess people would like ie can extend the length of address if needed. Just a thought.

12. Anonymous says:

Just open it and go.  I don't want to "learn" a new system.

13. Anonymous says:

The internet settings dialog looks ancient and totally out of place on the metro style browser gui.

It seems to have missed 4 of 5 GUI updates altready but this is a step too far

How difficult can it be to update a dialog screen to a newer look anyways.

Same options but just using new interface elements.

14. Anonymous says:

Ah, so this is what's going on behind the scenes. Thanks for the clarification. I wodnered why signing in to a site (say, Hotmail) on IE10M was not picked up by IE10DT.

May I be a lone voice saying thank you for keeping the standard Internet Options dialog in IE10DT? This dialog gives me incredibly fine-grained control over the browser, far more control than any other browser I use. The new options have given me some "Hmm, what does *this* do?" moments, which (unlike my change-phobic friends in the comments above) I don't mind experiencing. My biggest dislike with Metro overall is the lack of settings and controls to tweak things to just the way I want them, so I was happy to see that my changes in the dialog box allowed me to set properties for both IE10 browser instances.

Being critical, I would like to be able to reach my tabs more easily if I am in a keyboard/mouse situation (which, given my work life, is my most likley work scenario). Maybe even making the tab bar sticky (pin the bar) after I've opened it until I dismiss it? I was very frustrated by the lack of a Favorites bar/list for the first week of using IE10M (I'm one of the weird people that bookmarks everything) until I found that simply pulling up the address bar and typing away would give me a list of recently visited places + favorites + suggestions. (The search capability in Metro is WOW – mind-bogglingly great!) Even so, I would like to have a way to have my favorites in a side panel (kind of the way say the Charms bar or a search panel can pop out) that allows me to view my Favorites and select from them. Sometimes I just look at the list to figure out where I want to go.

Unfortunately, I still HATE pinned sites – there's got to be a better way than to clutter my task bar/start screen with pinned site icons. I'd rather have better a better Favorites bar than Pinned sites.

15. Anonymous says:

I bookmark everything too. Is the main reason that I use IE, it has the best bookmark management interface among browsers.

16. Anonymous says:

This is all well and good, but I can't understand why you've named the options in the way that you have.  By contrasting "Always in Internet Explorer" with "Always in Internet Explorer on the desktop", you seem to imply that Metro is the natural default (which conflicts with the fact that it isn't always the default if you let IE decide) and that IE on the desktop isn't real IE. By making "IE" mean "IE on metro", you introduce terminological confusion.  "Let IE decide" isn't the same thing as saying "let IE on metro decide", so why should "always in IE" mean "always in IE on metro"?

17. pmbAustin says:

You need to remove "Pinned" sites from the IE10-Metro UI and replace it with "Favorites", shared with Desktop, and with the ability to select any favorite (including folders), and add current site to favorites (any folder).  This is the central thing missing that prevents me from using IE10-Metro.  Without "favorits", it's really difficult for me to use.

I have no desire to have hundreds of "pinned sites" all over my start screen, or task bar.  Period.  I do not use "pinned sites" at all, in fact.  This feature of IE10 (offering up "Pinned Sites" as a central feature) is utterly useless to me, and the critical feature of "Favorites" seems to be completely missing.  This is backwards.

It also seems odd that I cannot have two tiles, one to start IE10-Metro, and one to start IE10-Desktop, on the start screen.

18. Anonymous says:

@ok: I’m sorry if I was unclear. There is only one browser (iexplore.exe) that exposes two user interfaces—desktop and Metro style. The settings described in this post are which user interface to display when launched.

19. Anonymous says:

@KevinLuu – It may be the case that the two share the same components, and maybe even the same binary.  However, the fact remains that the metro version is crippled relative to the desktop version.  It doesn't support plug-ins such as Flash or Silverlight, doesn't support favorites in an obvious way, etc.  Some things obviously don't make sense in metro, such as toolbars or advanced settings dialogs.  That said, if their core capabilities are different (e.g. lack of plug-in support) or if the way users conceptual think about browsing (e.g. managing favorites vs. pinning sites), from an end user perspective they may as well be two different browsers.

20. Anonymous says:

@rseiler – I've found an interesting way to get what you want, if you're prepared to pin the sites you want in the other desktop browser. Make something else the default browser, pin sites from it, make IE the default browser and set links to open in Metro IE. The pinned sites will now open in the other browser, on the desktop, from the Start screen. Seems like a really nice way to associate specific sites with a specific browser if you want to (if someone hardcodes their music site to only work in Chrome, say)

21. Anonymous says:

Is there a way to upgrade IE9 to IE10? (I upgraded Windows 7 to Windows 8 but still have IE9 installed instead of 10) . Thanks in advance!

22. Anonymous says:

So if I'm in IE10 Desktop is there an option to open the page in IE10 Metro?  I doubt anyone will ever want to do this but for developers we are all going to be in the desktop IE for testing and then we'll have to copy/paste urls to switch to the Metro version for testing there.

There's also been very little talk about how this whole Metro vs. Desktop thing is going to play out.  There will me Millions of users that are on their desktop that will have ABSOLUTELY ZERO INTEREST in suffering through the Metro Tablet experience just to get to their desktop to get work done.  Will it be easy to turn Metro off completely and will it be easy to set Windows to automatically boot straight into the desktop mode (if the user isn't on a tablet).

We've all seen the fail videos by now of how non-techy users will not be able to make heads or tails of this new OS… but us Techy folks will need to be the I.T. department for our family and friends and thus the first thing we need to know is how to turn off Metro mode or completely get rid of it.

thanks

PS your comment form is ***still*** broken – just how long does it take to fix? I think I first heard about this thing being broken like 2 years ago!

23. Anonymous says:

After I make IE 10 icon in Metro for a specific site address and pin it to Start screen, often when I click that to return to that address,

IE 10 will go to the wrong web page (one from previous browsing session)

24. Anonymous says:

"IE10 offers you a full-screen"

but full tab browsing ? full reporting to user ? and …

download page don't have progress bar and other standard features.

Now , i use firefox 11 . it's very easy to use ( of course IE10 speeds is more than firefox ).

25. ieblog says:

@Hector: If the Internet Explorer tile on the Windows 8 Start screen is launching desktop IE, it's because IE is not the default browser. This can occur when you upgrade from Windows 7 due to a bug in the Windows 8 setup program. Just set IE as your default browser using the procedure described in the post.

26. Anonymous says:

What happens in Metro IE when a user clicks on either of the following:

a.) A hyperlink with a target attribute

b.) A link or button that calls window.open(…);

Does Metro IE10 support tabs properly? does it open new windows in new tabs? or is Metro IE crippled by design?

When surfing the web as i have done for the past 6-7 years… when I see a list of articles I want to read on say… Digg.com I will open each that i find interesting in a new tab.

I can do this easily on a desktop PC and on an iPad, PlayBook, WebOS, Android Tablet… or phones… but none of the videos I've seen for IEMetro have shown this functionality.

Is Microsoft going to ignore how users surf the web? or is this a feature that hasn't been highlighted yet?

27. ieblog says:

@Dave: Metro style Internet Explorer creates new tabs for hyperlinks with targets, window.open(), and supports Ctrl-click of a link to open the link in a new tab just like desktop IE.

28. Anonymous says:

Quote from another Microsoft Blog:

**********

The Multiple Tabs Issue

Rob Mauceri, the group program manager for Internet Explorer, explained in a blog post that Microsoft has found that many people will prefer the Metro-style UI when browsing sites using IE 10 on Windows 8. However, based on public feedback to that post, not everyone seems to share that view.

Those persons expressing discontent on the blog run the gamut from Metro haters to Chrome lovers, as well as people with thoughtful points to make. Web surfers who work with multiple tabs open also raised objections. In the IE 10 Metro-style browser on Windows 8, you have to swipe from the bottom or top of the screen with your finger, use the right mouse button, or press the Windows key plus "Z" on the keyboard, to see open tabs, which otherwise aren't visible on the screen. The tabs are more like a collection of screens icons that hang at the top of the screen when viewed in this way.

Such lack of visibility potentially could be an unpleasant scenario for heavy tab users. Steven Sinofsky, president of Microsoft's Windows and Windows Live Division, responded to a question about using IE 10 with 40-plus tabs open. In those cases, it's a good idea to use the desktop IE 10 browser, rather than the Metro one, he indicated.

"@c_barth — you are exactly right about when to use a desktop browser and 40 open tabs and the usage pattern you describe is right for the model of the desktop browsers (which is why we have it)," Sinofsky explained in the blog post. He added that Microsoft's research showed that the majority (97 percent) of people just have five or less tabs open when browsing the Web with IE.

**********

Basically if you want a real, usable browser go to the desktop Metro IE is to surf on your couch and pretend you are on the heavily sponsored (by Microsoft) TV show N.C.I.S. – the Mobile version of IE wasn't completely thought out and thus the implementation is half baked for the initial release of IE10 on Windows 8.

The other question developers are having as it will affect all users that consider buying a Windows Tablet is that on ARM devices where there is no "REAL" windows behind the metro UI… will they be able to open pages in a non-metro IE? or will they have to install a 3rd party browser to get full functionality (e.g. Firefox/Chrome)

I presume the packaging on such devices will clearly indicate that they only include the tablet version of Windows 8 and that regular desktop apps like Excel, QuickBooks, etc. will not work.

29. Anonymous says:

Oh and one more thing… Metro IE10 doesn't have favorites or bookmarks any more… so if you had your top 40 sites bookmarked on the desktop you'll want to stay there because they won't be listed/available on Tablet IE.

30. Anonymous says:

Where is the full API documentation to make possible that other browsers vendors integrate their browsers with metro interface ?

31. ieblog says:

@Charles: Windows 8 on ARM does include the Windows desktop and IE10 runs in both its Metro and desktop environments.

32. Anonymous says:

@microsoft using its monopoly powers to ban other browsers in metro, read about "WinRT" moron!!

33. ieblog says:

A document describing how to build a Metro style enabled desktop browser is available at go.microsoft.com/fwlink.

34. Anonymous says:

@ieblog

this icon is very nice for internet explorer main icon 🙂

yellow in somethings refer to sloth and etc.

35. Anonymous says:

@ieblog – re: "Windows 8 on ARM does include the Windows desktop and IE10 runs in both its Metro and desktop environments."

Sorry, come again? This completely contradicts earlier statements about ARM Tablets.

We were told explicitly before that ARM Tablets running Windows 8 would _NOT_ run the full "desktop Windows" and all the current Windows programs that users are used to due to architectural differences (kernel, hardware, IDK?)

So are you telling us now that ARM Tablets will indeed run everything that a current Windows 7 desktop will when the user exits the Metro mode?  PS if this is the case you need to talk to your PR/Marketing department ASAP because that is definitely not what we were told.

36. Anonymous says:

Articles that point out that the "flawed by design [TM]"  ARM Tablet devices will NOT run regular Windows applications and will only serve to confuse and frustrate ANY consumer that accidentally purchases one.

PC World article:

——————–

Quote: "The problem, however, is that legacy Windows desktop software will not work on ARM devices"

Tech Radar article:

———————-

Quote: "However, ARM-based Windows 8 won't have desktop apps (only Metro apps)"

So what is the real story? Will All Windows 8 Tablets ship from day 1 with Windows 8 running in Metro and Full Desktop modes on both Intel and energy saving ARM devices? or is Microsoft introducing incompatible devices into the market where their #1 competitor (Apple) ships tablets that "Just work" out of the box.

why does this comment form always fail to post comments on the first try? this is running ASP.Net MVC right? not the broken legacy ASP pages I hope.

37. Anonymous says:

I would imagine you need recompiled versions of the desktop apps on ARM devices.

Like the time you had 16 and 32 bits windows versions.

38. pmbAustin says:

Sorry, @Marv, but that doesn't contradict earlier statements about ARM tablets.

Microsoft was VERY CLEAR that ARM Tablets will include the full desktop, desktop IE10, and in fact will generally ship with Desktop Office applications (Word, Excel).

The problem is how one gets any desktop apps beyond that onto the ARM Tablet.  Desktop apps need to be recompiled for ARM.  And since the Windows App Store won't carry desktop apps (only metro), one has to wonder exactly how anyone will find and install recompiled Desktop apps.  So you basically have all the built-in apps for Desktop available (Windows Explorer, Control Panel, all the little apps that ship with Windows), plus whatever gets preloaded (like ARM version of Office)… but after that, what happens is anyone's guess at this point.  You certainly won't be able to just go out and buy Windows 7 apps and install them on an ARM tablet.

39. Anonymous says:

@mpbAustin – I disagree.  Microsoft was not clear about this at all. (please add a citation if there is a clear statement somewhere)

More importantly, having a full desktop that can run all the Windows 7 apps that you currently run is what users expect from backwards compatibility.

If I read your statement above correctly 100% of my current desktop apps, if I were to transfer and install them from my USB drive would all fail to install.  As far as users are concerned that is 100% failure.

Now will Microsoft be smart and ship a re-compiled version of their apps? yeah, you bet… will anyone else?… not likely… or at least not likely anytime soon.

I hereby proclaim that these ARM tablets will be nothing shy of an Epic Failure if this isn't fixed before RTM… more importantly issues with these ARM tablets will spread throughout the Internet, Social Networks and word of mouth and tarnish all Windows 8 Tablets (regardless if they are ARM tablets or not)

I personally feel that if a workable solution to this to enable full on desktop apps on an ARM tablet, including loading existing purchased software is not "a piece of cake" that Microsoft would be better to halt all thoughts of selling the ARM tablets until this is resolved.

This situation makes the broken dual desktop in Windows 8 on functioning Intel Desktop Hardware seem trivial now which is saying a lot considering no one outside Microsoft (and even many within) think that the hybrid tablet/desktop OS is actually Microsoft's biggest failure to date (and it hasn't even shipped yet!) – OUCH!

40. Anonymous says:

@ Joel

From the "Building Windows 8 Blog" from February 9th:

"WOA includes desktop versions of the new Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote. These new Office applications, codenamed “Office 15”, have been significantly architected for both touch and minimized power/resource consumption, while also being fully-featured for consumers and providing complete document compatibility. WOA supports the Windows desktop experience including File Explorer, Internet Explorer 10 for the desktop, and most other intrinsic Windows desktop features—which have been significantly architected for both touch and minimized power/resource consumption."

Is that clear enough? "WOA supports the Windows desktop experience"

If you want to rad the whole post: blogs.msdn.com/…/building-windows-for-the-arm-processor-architecture.aspx

Harry

41. Anonymous says:

Thanks for the link @Harry Richter.  I was one of the IE Blog readers that was trying to make heads or tails of this situation and it was certainly unclear.

That link does help clarify what the truth of the matter is – now we only have to see what the marketing will be and how the consumer market reacts.

I agree with all others that indicated that this scenario will be very confusing for end users that don't understand the technical complexities under the covers with the different hardware.  Unfortunately users will definitely voice their negative opinions on the lack of foresight with this design as well as the lack of warning on the packaging.

e.g. I take it that Microsoft is not planning to slap a big red sticker on each package indicating that: "This device will not run any of your existing Windows software.   Though a special version of Microsoft Office and other Microsoft tools is included for compatibility purposes."

Then again I think that a warning like that most certainly should be added and as a techy person whenever I'm in my local BestBuy I will be sure to do my civic duty and inform any customer (or staff member) of the problems with these devices so that they can make an informed decision.

We don't want consumers suffering from yet another electronics scandal like the $3 HDMI cable markup scams that currently take place.

42. Anonymous says:

"Always in Internet Explorer" – does not mean what you seem to think it means. You need to decide on the correct language for the Metro environment so you can say "Always on the desktop" and "Always in tiles" – Always in Internet Explorer makes me feel like my alternative is "Always in Google Chrome".

43. xpclient says:

IE team, for IE10, can you please add a Cookies Blocked or Cookie allowed icon indicator like IE8 has? The latest Google Chrome also has it in the address bar but you removed it in your act of copying Google Chrome for IE9. I know most UI and feature-related feedback falls on deaf ears at the IE blog and Connect but still hoping you would add it back.

44. Anonymous says:

Every so often IE Metro doesn't do nothing It locks up and just wiggles when clicked I've been trying to figure out why because If I leave IE Metro style alone for few days it works again

45. Anonymous says:

Why IE team , don't release new update for Internet Explore. (version update)

Example : IE 10.1 OR 10.2 OR … in every month or some months.

firefox and google chrome with this policy , persuade Users to download new version of they.

46. Anonymous says:

Pen: They already do that. Latest IE version is IE9.0.5. They are security updates.

Though I agree that interim releases with nothing but bugfixes (both to UI and rendering) based on the community feedback would be extremely advantageous. Right now if a IE version has some bug overlooked, it will remain unfixed until the next big version, which pinballs the design around and regresses some other things.

47. Why are there no updates available for Internet Explorer 10 on Windows 7?

48. Anonymous says:

This is all well and good but when the heck is IE10 being released to Windows 7? I mean seriously its April 2012 already.

49. Anonymous says:

@Mike W. – likely right after they fix the comment form on this !@#$!@#$ blog.

50. Anonymous says:

Does IE10 have the intrusive notification bar like IE 9 does?

51. Anonymous says:

Hi I wish to suggest improvement for IE10beta, not sure where should I post it.

The UI back and forward button can be moved to the end of the URL textbox (ie the middle of the toolbar, so that it will nt interfere with Windows8 features.

52. pmbAustin says:

Opening a link in a new tab in IE-Metro using a mouse is exceedingly frustrating.  When you right-click a link and select "open in new tab", the list of tabs opens, you see the new tab appear, … AND THEN THE TABS DISAPPEAR, leaving you on the page where you were.  This forces you to have to right-click to show the tabs again, and then click the tab to see the new tab.  WTF?  You can move your mouse up rapidly while its opening in a new tab (while the new tab is still visible, before disappearing), but even if you click on the new tab, nothing happens.  VERY annoying, and VERY frustrating.  Requires too many extra steps here.  If I mouse up to the tab area, it shouldn't disappear.  And if I click on a tab there, it should immediately switch to it.

53. seritha says:

im trying to click on a link that launches a new window. that window doesn't launch in ie10, but it does in Chrome. it worked on my desktop, but I was given a laptop at work and it doesn't work