Spring into St. Patrick’s Day with HTML5

Shamrock artAnother holiday brings us another opportunity to celebrate it with you. We’re pleased to mark the transition into spring as well as St. Patrick’s Day with Irish Spring, a new hardware-accelerated HTML5 experience that shows the benefits of Internet Explorer 10 on Windows 8 Consumer Preview.

Irish Spring incorporates HTML5 canvas and CSS gradients, opacity, transforms, and animation along with HTML5 audio. With the Windows Consumer Preview and IE10’s support for multi-touch you can propel the clovers and leaves around in a strangely satisfying fashion. Try it with multiple fingers on your touch device. Alternatively, you can use your mouse to move the clovers around the screen.

If you aren’t using Internet Explorer 10 and think your browser can still handle the heat, give it a shot. But don’t be surprised if the lack of multi-touch and full hardware acceleration leaves you wanting to install the Windows 8 Consumer Preview.

This video shows IE10’s support for multi-touch and hardware acceleration in action with Irish Spring.

Put a little spring in your friends’ step by clicking the share controls at the top of the demo.

From the entire IE team, we wish you a happy, safe, and lucky St. Patrick’s Day!

—Tobin Titus, Program Manager, Internet Explorer

1. Mr. Maus says:

Yeah – glad to see the arrogant Google beat again. Keep going IE team, to get IE a fair review, it's got to crush the competition. Unfair, but an exhilirating challenge at the same time.

2. junior says:

Awesome. Can't wait to get my hands on a Windows 8 system. You're going to destroy android!

3. sam says:

im using latest chrome 18 beta, why is this video using divx plus on my browser and not silverlight or html5?

4. sam says:

i have uninstalled divx plus completely now and it now uses vlc player. Why not html5 like with youtube or why not silverlight?

5. ieblog says:

@sam: The post contains an HTML5 video element with Flash fallback. The video works fine in Chrome 17.0.963.79 m on my machine. Perhaps the problem is with Chrome 18 beta.

6. Calvin says:

This video works in IE9 and Chrome 17 for me.  But not FF11.

7. Chris says:

I don't notice any framerate issues under Chrome 18 beta running under Windows 7. But since I can't test the IE10 preview on the same machine I can't actually make any comparisons performance wise.

8. Gamer_Z. says:

I just tried it in Chrome (v17) and it worked fine…

9. Stephen says:

It works fine in chrome if you have good hardware, it doesn't mean chrome is being efficient though.

10. Stephen says:

Also, works fantastic on my Windows Phone too… wait no it doesn't, because theres no touch events.. I hope you guys realize how much of a screw up that was, I cannot even begin to consider Windows Phone as a html 5 app platform without touch support.. and god knows when IE10 will arrive and mature there.

11. Matthew says:

When is pointer-events: none coming to HTML? I think that's the best unknown CSS feature.

You already have it implemented in SVG: msdn.microsoft.com/…/ff972269(v=vs.85).aspx

12. FremyCompany says:

@Stephen: IE10 will be included in Windows Phone 8. We can expect WP8 around the same time as Windows 8 (~September/November 2012)

13. pmbAustin says:

Definitely much lower frame-rates on Chrome 17.  Very noticable, though not as bad as the difference in the "snow storm" page.

Doesn't work at all in FireFox 11.

Is there a reason nothing displays in FireFox?  Just curious what's going on there…

14. Simon Johnson says:

Sigh. Yet again there is no Vorbis audio in the demo. If we have a look at the demo page source we see:

<!– The sounds — oh the wonderful sounds! –>

<audio id="whoosh_move">

<source src="sounds/whoosh_move.mp3" type="audio/mp3" />

<source src="sounds/whoosh_move.ogg" type="audio/ogg" />

</audio>

Which seems like things are heading in the right direction but, as ever, the Vorbis audio has mysteriously not been uploaded to the website. I despair at the sheer, unadulterated bloody-mindedness that this blog so routinely demonstrates.

St. Patrick banished the snakes from Ireland. So when will Microsoft similarly banish this toxic web development attitude from its websites?

15. lily says:

yay this is brll i like it GO ST PATRICKS DAY  cause my maths teacher is irish and loves it and its is big day yay

16. Peter says:

Sorry for this, MS, all your HTML 5 experience sites are great, but I would be more impressed if this sites would show any kind of usefullness. Or are games, moving pictures,… are the only sense of HTML5?

17. NO WAV SUPPORT says:

IE 10 IS THE ONLY BROWSER NOT SUPPORTING WAV FORMAT IN HTML5 AUDIO TAG

ALL MAJOR BROWSERS (FF/CRHOME/OPERA) SUPPORT WAV FORMATS

18. Gordon says:

Waiting for the Windows 7 version of IE10 Beta…. no one wants Windows 8: http://www.youtube.com/watch and many others http://www.youtube.com/watch and http://www.youtube.com/watch

No one can figure out the desktop version at all… where's the darn Start button? where's all my programs?  Where's My Computer/Files?

I'm not going to upgrade to an OS that is still in Beta that is designed for a device that no one owns yet.  Desktops are 99% of Microsoft's market… why are you forcing another broken Vista on the world?  I can't believe that Windows 7 is going to become the new XP.

19. Brian says:

I hope IE10 and Windows 8, with the upcoming Windows Slates knock the iPad and Apple down a few notches. To Gordon, Windows 8 is not really an upgrade to 7. Think of it like a complimentary OS to 7 for touch enabled devices, like the iPad OS is to Snow Leopard, except that the power of a desktop/laptop will be in a Tablet.

20. "But don’t be surprised if the lack of multi-touch and full hardware acceleration leaves you wanting to install the Windows 8 Consumer Preview."

Wait a minute – my PC doesn't have multi-touch, whether or not I install the Windows 8 Consumer Preview. Again, we see a design problem in the Consumer Preview demonstrated – the OS is designed for touch, but will primarily be run on devices that lack touch input.

21. McZ says:

@WindowsVista567

We have yet to see how the various editions of Win8 will look like. But one is for sure: as the Consumer Preview has a Desktop on every machine, where it 'will be primarily run', I can see exactly zero design problem, as you can work in Desktop mode as in Win7. Only the old, more than useless Start menu bites the dust.

Anti-metro scam get's really stupid…

22. I tried out the demo in Internet Explorer 9 and it worked like a charm. 🙂 Opera 11.6, not so much – it's struggling to run fast. Firefox 11 seems to not render or run it at all.

There's one quirk with how it runs in IE9, though – if I click multiple times in succession, I notice that the animation slows down noticeably.

23. Master of Desaster says:

The Metro Concept is a flop for Desktop. It only Touch optimized.

It is a design concept problem. Please use it with with 2 27 " Monitors. Then you will see that this Kind of usage is bullhit.

For Desktop Mode. All operations took longer than under Windows 7 . For Mouse Users.

The Bars Needs to Long to come into forground. It´s fault than only on some Points there is a trigger. The Trigger works wrong.

and so on and so on.

And a lot of Sites didn´t work well with ie 10. a lot more than with ie9 and ie 8.

Skip to main content