Introducing Seven More IEBlogs

Today we introduce seven new language versions of IEBlog—French, German, Portuguese (Brazil), Korean, Japanese, Chinese (PRC), and Russian. Links to these appear in the new “Languages” block at the top of the right column. We plan to publish translated versions five to ten days after their appearance on the English language IEBlog.

We’ve worked hard to localize most of the language elements on the page and in the posts themselves. Text within images will remain in English though we translate captions and image alt text. Markup and code samples will also remain in English. Occasionally, we’ll mistakenly translate an HTML, CSS, or JavaScript keyword; please forgive us. The links along the top and bottom of the page which link to English-language pages remain in English.

One of the more fun programming tasks in localizing IEBlog was to correctly translate and reformat the dates and times of the posts and comments. We decided to go one step further and translate the time (which was previously always displayed in US Pacific Time) to the time zone of the viewer. We also made this change to the English language version.

If you’re a speaker of one of these languages, we hope you’ll enjoy the new versions of IEBlog.

—Marcia Coelho da Costa, Senior International Project Manager,
 Joe Oswald, Principal International Project Manager Lead, and
 Ted Johnson, Production Engineer for IEBlog

1. 葵中剑 says:

Good news!

2. Stilgar says:

Oh great! Now all these Russians who curse you in Russian in the comments will have their own version of the blog to post. If they bother to check.

3. Mustafa says:

we are looking forward to see the turkish…

4. Mustafa Sandal says:

good :)

5. Please forgive my frankness but I believe it was a huge mistake wasting your time and energy on creating other language versions of this blog whereas this energy and time is best invested in improving Internet Explorer itself, a web browser that is slowly but nonetheless steadily losing its usage share. For instance, the Internet Explorer site on Microsoft Connect really needs a hand. The people who attended the bugs that I posted did not strike as particularly brilliant. In fact, one of them failed to understand the difference between Accelerators and the legacy third-party context menu items. In my humble opinion, it is a catastrophe.

6. hAl says:

What a waste of time and money.

7. Tom says:

Wow 8 IE blogs! and ***still*** no full open native HTML5 Video or open HTML5 Audio support in IE10 – Congratulations!

8. Jaimes says:

Actually the **MASSIVE** **FAILURE** with this approach is that the other 8 versions of this blog **DO** **NOT** have the comment thread.  Thus those readers miss out on the **CRITICAL** conversation, notes, links, clarifications & **GOTCHAS** described in the comments that help developers.

e.g. MSFT posts that "yeah! IE supports HTML5 Audio" but only in the comments will you read the follow up from developers that point out… "this is great! – but make sure you don't fall into the trap of using *.mp3 files as your audio format for HTML5 games or you will be subject to paying $2,500/title licensing fees! – use AAC instead for browsers like IE that don't support open formats like Ogg Vorbis!" – http://www.scirra.com/…/why-you-shouldnt-use-mp3-in-your-html5-games

these kind of follow up comments are the critical details developers come to read to get the full story… without this, the additional 8 blogs are useless… and worse, any comments posted there will not be seen on the main blog.

PS The Web has already solved this problem that you guys just got caught "Bicycle Shedding".  It's called Google Translate… it works on every web page, including every comment….  in fact you guys even added a MS Bung translation widget (to the bottom of the page (*cough* usability fail! *cough*) so making multiple copies of the site was a complete waste of time.  Congrats on your epic fail… and congrats on documenting and blogging about your epic fail – well done!

9. alvatrus says:

Fixing this blog would have been time much better spent.

10. Lance says:

Since their has been a dramatic drop off in number of posts, their job should be easy.

11. Sunil says:

@Jaimes

Hope you have used Google and Bing's Translator API. some times, you will end up getting wired translation.  It is always better to get translated by human rather then a machine. I am not sure It was worth the time but It is better.

12. Yannick says:

And not Dutch?

13. buddy says:

Please include Arabic language as well. Microsoft Arabia may hire more resouces for that matter. If you need my time.. you got it.. anything for Microsoft <3

-danglingpointer[at]hotmail

14. Paco says:

You forgot spanish!

15. Could you bring the Finnish-language blog? :) We are waiting…

16. Viktor Krammer says:

Better invest the money in improving Microsoft Translator instead of translating a Dev blog into non-English languages.

17. Feature Request says:

In IE 9, Ctrl+0 resets zoom level only when the 'regular' ZERO is pressed, not the Num-Pad ZERO.

My Num-Lock is on. In other browsers, the Num-Lock ZERO works. It is annoying because I hit it every single time and realize it isn't working and then I have to consciously find and hit the regular ZERO located among many other keys.

Please add Num-Lock ZERO also when resetting zoom level. Minor annoyance, but annoyance nonetheless.

18. Bug says:

I have this problem in IE 9 when I visit certain websites that show banner ads:

After I navigate several pages, I want to go back 1 page and I hit back button and it doesn't! When I click the back button and hold it, I see two other AD-related URLs (probably AJAX) present between the current page and the previous REAL page. Hitting back once doesn't work. I have to click-and-hold back button to bring up this menu and have to manually click the previous page.

Obviously it is very annoying. I think it is related to the feature added recently where AJAX requests become part of the browsing history queue or something, but not sure. Please fix it.

19. Nick says:

As the saying goes: "No one plans to fail – they just fail to plan"

In this case Microsoft failed to plan.  Not only does making multiple copies of the IE blog make no sense at all, it disperses the comments across multiple blogs and everyone gets less information (not more).

As others have mentioned, spending this wasted time fixing IE bugs or the broken comment form would have been much better.

So glad I'm not a paying customer for IE… I would be up in arms over wastage like this.

20. @Jaimes says:

If possible you should always use the modern high quality AAC standards formats for audio because mp3 is ancient.

21. Bruce says:

Could you create another copy of this blog that deletes all discussions on video formats?

22. Dan DiGangi says:

I thought it said "Introducing Seven More IEBugs" which would have made a lot more sense; I mean no one at Microsoft is hiding it. Mine as well make your bugs a known part of your releases.