IE 9.0.2 Available via Windows Update

The August 2011 Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer is now available via Windows Update. This security update resolves five vulnerabilities in Internet Explorer that were disclosed in coordination with Microsoft and two publicly disclosed vulnerabilities.

The most severe vulnerabilities could allow remote code execution if a user visits a malicious, specially crafted Web page using IE. Users who run without administrative rights are more secure in general and should be less impacted than other users; you can read more about this security principle in many places. This security update is rated Critical for IE6, 7, 8, and 9 on Windows clients; for more information about the ratings, the vulnerabilities, and technical details about the fixes please see the full bulletin.

Most customers have enabled automatic updating and do not need to take any action. We recommend that customers who have not enabled automatic updating, enable it (Start Menu, type “Windows Update”). We recommend that administrators, enterprise installations, and end users who want to install this security update manually, apply the update immediately using update management software or by checking for updates using the Microsoft Update service.

—Tyson Storey, Program Manager, Internet Explorer

1. Fiona Dough says:

Great job! Btw, what’s the ETA on built-in spell-checker in Internet Explorer? Has it qualified as a feature-to-be-considered yet?

2. @Fiona says:

Spellchecking is *always* a feature-to-be-considered.

3. Fiona Dough says:

@@Fiona, how about the IETeam. Do they acknowledge it as a feature? I don't think it should takes too much effort to deploy it in IE, since they already have shown its closest match in Office 360 (the one you can find on SkyDrive). I don’t doubt the ability of IETeam, but those creepy marketing strategies have put IE far behind the front row.. *sigh*

4. Aethec says:

+9,223,372,036,854,775,807 to the built-in spell checker suggestion. As a non-native English speaker it's really useful – and Word 2010 has a really good spell checker, no need to re-create one.

5. wai says:

Genuine question, why don't you support text-shadow via a vendor prefix?

-ms-text-shadow would be good until the w3c standardizes this.

6. Spellchecker plaa plaa plaa… Believe that they have already indicated that it may be a possible feature, but not yet!

7. Spell Checker says:

Please for the love of {Insert Deity of choice}! Add a Spell Checker to IE! – It's embarrassing that IE is the only browser that makes its users look like fools because it doesn't offer a basic spell checker.

Its 17 flippin' lines of open source Python code to add a spell checker!!! just add it for crying out loud! It's beyond pathetic that IE doesn't have one yet.

8. Ee says:

Who cares about spell checker, spelling is learnt at school. What people (well, me and myself, that counts as multiple, right?) really want is mouse gestures. Yes yes, there's one available for IE8 but it doesn't work in IE9.

I love this new versioning scheme, by the way. So much easier than the dozen or so digits in the pre-IE9 era.

9. Aethec says:

@Ee: Spelling is learned (you said "learnt"…how ironic) at school, yes, but only for your native language. Mine is French, and while I speak French very well, there are a lot of words that are slightly different from French to English (e.g. "Dictionnaire" <=> "Dictionary"). A spell checker in a non-native language is really useful.

10. Ee says:

@Aethec http://www.urch.com/…/9214-learned-vs-learnt.html Besides, English is my third language (and I've been taught to use British English, but thanks to Internet I mix it up a lot with US English), first is Finnish, second is Swedish 🙂

11. ZippyV says:

A spellchecker should be part of the operating system so that every application developer can use it in his application.

12. Harry Richter says:

@ZippyV

Microsoft will be very cautious what they include as part of the operating system, seeing that the EU (or at least the fundamentalist anti-Microsoft Taliban within the EU as represented by some individuals in the past and present commissions) has Microsoft Windows under closest scrutiny.

The same of course (unfairly) does not apply to Linux and MacOS.

Harry

13. Josh says:

There's no point asking for text-shadow or a spellchecker in a minor security update, though. Wait until we get to see a glimpse of IE10.

14. jayp says:

I'm really baffled as to why people are complaining about text-shadow. I've never once thought "Oh, I like this website… if only the text was made marginally harder to read by a relatively crap looking shadow."

Especially strange is how these people are so blinded by their apparent love of terrible text effects that they insist on referring to them in posts that have no relevance to the subject matter being discussed. Stop being weird, all of you.

Thanks for the update MS.

15. Andrew says:

Whoa – people still use IE? New versions are still relevant? Haha, who knew.

16. @jayp says:

It’s not about making you happy or not, it’s about respecting the evolving w3 standard.

M$ must provide spellchecker as a built-in service of windOS, so any application offering text input can access this service… without caring of EU BS.

17. Lee Penn says:

Text-shadow: http://www.quirksmode.org/…/textshadow.html (just checked on FF6b and IE10pp2)

It turns out; IE is the only browser not supporting text-shadow so far.

18. @Fiona Dough says:

Spell checkers you can download easily for free at

or at

19. joshuatee says:

guys just to remind you that the topic is: "August 2011 Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer"

——

Ee

+++

😉

20. Don Reba says:

I suppose, IE is touted as the business users' browsers, and those people usually can spell. 🙂

Now if only the IE team stopped the madness and added a separate search box, I would be able to move up from IE8.

21. jayp says:

You realise you can search using the address bar?

22. @jayp says:

That doesn't always work right and its not like we need such a ridiculously long address bar if we use tabs on a seperate row, I think the seperate search bar of IE8 was much easier to use.

23. Where can i find it in spanish?

24. Don Reba says:

Jayp, I can't switch between multiple search providers using the search bar. For instance, to look up a word in Wiktionary, in IE8 I press Ctrl-E, enter the query, press Ctrl-Down, WW, Enter. Then, if I am curious about the word's etymology, I press Ctrl-E, Ctrl-Down, E. It is an efficient workflow that for me easily outweights the rendering advances made in IE9.

25. @Don Reba says:

Never felt any need to switch from bing 🙂 but just installed "ask jeeves" to check this. [Ctrl]-[E] highlights the address bar, and puts in a question mark. I type the word "test" without quotes and press [ctrl]-[down] just once to highlight my two installed search providers. Press left/right arrow to highlight whichever one isn't enabled, then press [enter], and I immediately get search suggestions from that provider. To search on the exact word then requires just one more [enter]. I couldn't find a search provider addin for wiktionary (maybe they have one on their website?), and the only dictionary addins I could find were accelerators, but maybe you could still upgrade to ie9? I don't tend to use the keyboard beyond [ctrl]-[a]/[c]/[v] and [delete], so I expect some other people might have quicker methods. (Failed to post this once… Hopefully won't turn into a double post)

26. Don Reba says:

> Never felt any need to switch from bing 🙂 but just installed "ask jeeves" to check this.

For me, it's Google, Wikipedia, Russian Wikipedia, Spanish Wikipedia, Wiktionary, Russian dictionary, Spanish dictionary, Etymological dictionary, Stack Overflow, YouTube, MSDN, RSDN, BitSnoop, The Pirate Bay, and Wofram Alpha.

> I type the word "test" without quotes and press [ctrl]-[down] just

> once to highlight my two installed search providers. Press left/right

> arrow to highlight whichever one isn't enabled, then press [enter],

> and I immediately get search suggestions from that provider. To search

> on the exact word then requires just one more [enter].

Then, when you press enter, the query gets replaced with the address and you have to type it all over again. Besides, almost all search providers have the default icon, so navigating among them with the left and right buttons doesn't really work.

27. DanglingPointer says:

@Don Reba, did you really tried the CTRL+E then CTRL+UP/DOWN then CTRL+LEFT/RIGHT shortcuts?? It certainly works in IE9! Also, when the query is replace by the complete URL press the magnifying glass button in the search bar or simply press CTRL+E to get back the query string.

@IE-team, please provide the option to make the search bar separated from the address bar in future release (especially when the tabs are set to show in the separate rows).

28. Morisato says:

Now if they'd fix issue with the back button and reopen close tab…

Back button sometimes allows you o go back from the original page which just refreshes the page itself instead of being greyed out (indicating this was the first page since tab was opened with)

Reopen closed tab sometimes reopens a page into a blank white page where going forward or back does nothing to show the page itself and upon closing the tab, it is gone from the reopen closed tab history.

Those are my only complaints with the IE 9 series. Never had an issue with IE 8 but I can't go back to it since it screwed my Win7 x64 up if I uninstall IE 9 since the Win7 SP1 update.

29. @Morisato says:

guess you need to report this bug on connect.microsoft.com/…/feedback

30. IE10 Requirements says:

1.) Spell Checker built in – absolute must – no exceptions!

2.) HTML5 form elements – seriously! its almost 2012 people! get on this!

3.) If you seriously want people to use WinPhone7 you need to upgrade IE on that device (or allow the install of Safari/Chrome/Opera/Firefox or another modern browser.  IE on the WinPhone7 scores a whopping "25" on the HTMl5Test… 25!!! not 250…. not 200, not 175, not 150 or even 100… 25!! (Twenty-Five)!! – The browser is the #1 requirement of a smart phone and WinPhone7 doesn't have one – Epic Fail.

4.) Did I mention adding a Spell Checker to IE? – I'm absolutely appalled that this feature has been missing from IE since day 1, it shows a complete lack of interest in providing software to end users that they need, and shows massive dis-respect to the community for not addressing an issue that has been more discussed and reported 100's if not 1,000's of times.

Former IE user.

31. IE10 Requirements says:

Sweet mother of pearl does this blog software suck or what! – It failed to save my post above 5 times! – Thank goodness I've moved on to a better browser that can save my edits so that when I'm entering information on a crappy service like this community server I don't lose my data.

5.) Get the $#@! off of this horrible blog software.

32. Luigi says:

If Internet Explorer was OPEN SOURCE then Internet Explorer would be a very fast webbrowser…  but sadly Stupid MICROSOFT won't let Internet Explorer be open source..

33. Zkal says:

@Luigi: Um, how would open source suddenly make IE much more faster than it is? I don't think making the code open source would make it much more faster…Besides, there isn't that much difference between the browsers speedwise anymore.

34. Don Reba says:

> Also, when the query is replace by the complete URL press the magnifying glass button in the search bar or simply press CTRL+E to get back the query string.

Really? I don't recall this working in the beta. That takes care of half of my complaint.

> 1.) Spell Checker built in – absolute must – no exceptions!

I don't see why this is an issue. You should really know how to spell in any case, and an occasional typo is not a big deal.

35. @Don Reba says:

IE9 beta? R u sure? It was outdated somewhere in December 2010 with the release of RC.. You really need to upgrade to RTM then comment on this stuff..

36. @Don Reba says:

Every major webbrowser is providing spell-checker feature. Its not an issue its a must-have feature. Now, if you are convinced, vote up to bump this feature-request at Connect: http://bit.ly/qEoBt2

37. @Don Reba says:

right now the vote count is 36!

38. Real McCoy says:

http://bit.ly/qEoBt2 is reactivated by the OP! Please vote up by clicking "I can too" under Active.

~Cheers..

39. Omar says:

Question:

This issue was resolved in IE9 http://www.martinezdelizarrondo.com/…/textarea

In IE10 pp2, when we refresh the page the updated textbox value is reverted. Does it regress or the Refresh mechanism for temporary UI for previews is different than one in IE9 RTM? Should we call it an issue?

40. Steve says:

Vote count is now 39.  This doesn't include votes on the 44! duplicates filed!

Please Microsoft – add a Spell Checker built in already.  It would be amazingly sad to see IE10 ship without one.

41. Steve says:

Actually I take that back – fix this blog software first! Then fix the lack of a spell checker.  8 attempts to post a comment on this blog is ridiculous!

There's 100's of free blogging software tools out there that are better than what you are using – please pick one and implement it.  I shouldn't have to save my posts in Notepad before submitting because I know that Community Server will very likely eat my post the first 2-3 times!

42. 6205 says:

When will IE finally be able to display all favicons flawlessly like Firefox or Chrome?

43. Gord says:

@6205 – Only when IE finally wakes up and realizes that uncompressed *.ico files are not how the Web should load favicons, and only when they fully support *.gif, *.png (and full alpha transparency), and only when IE finally fixes the regression they made when they removed them from the addressbar dropdown list.

Maybe Microsoft can hire some good programmers from Google or Mozilla and get things done properly for once – maybe then IE version 12 might be an awesome browser with full support for all standard web technologies across the board.

44. SeanJenkin says:

@Steve – can you visit here blogs.msdn.com/…/contact.aspx and send me info regarding the comment submission failures? What browser, what content, etc. If you're having that serious a set of submission problems, I'd like to understand it more. Thanks, Sean.

45. @Sean Jenkin says:

I have submitted you the feedback. Please check it out!

46. @Sean Jenkin says:

For record, here is the feedback:

!! This issue as been submitted in IE blog comments several times !!

When a user tries to submit a comment, while NOT logged in with Live ID, the page refreshes itself without the comment submitted (and without the get params: CommentPosted=true#commentmessage). This happens if you stay on the page for longer than 15 minutes (15 is not the minimum it could be 5minutes not sure, but 15 is long enough to reproduce it!)

47. Luigi says:

IE you guys don't care if i switch to Firefox would you? i might cause well It says themes and a way to tweak the UI to our likings and in IE we can't do that..

48. Real McCoy says:

Feature Request – I have two concerns about IE UI:

A. Whats the ETA on smooth scrolling of HTML pages in IE??

B.

TAB MANAGEMENT:

Can you guys use Metro UI in the about:Tabs and CTRL+Q pages? Sure you can 😀

Use case:

(Besides having the popular sites w.r.t the frequency of visit)

When the user right-click on tab, there can be an option "Pin this group tab" and clicking that option would result in creating ONE tile in the about:Tabs page for the entire group. Also, about:tabs would have greater limit for tiles or limit-less by enabling the native browser stroll or Silverlight’s-butter-like smooth invisible scrolling.

P.S. CTRL+Q should be enabled by default! Its very cool feature and even the naive user would like to see the current Tabs. Also if we can see the memory being consumed by each tab right in CTRL+Q view, that would surely be dandy!!

connect.microsoft.com/…/ie-10-ui-smooth-scrolling-and-better-tab-management

49. @Sean Jenkin says:

Got reply from Sean:

Thanks for responding Michael. The cache on the page is 15 minutes so it’s likely timed with that. I’ll see what we can do to reproduce this on our development environment and get a fix in place.

Thanks again.

Sean

50. Steve says:

@Sean Jenkins – I too sent a comment your way disclosing the "not-news-to-anyone-on-the-ie-blog" that posting comments here is extremely hit and miss.  A quick google for _"Community server" sucks_ on the IE blog returns 200+ results. (see here: tiny.cc/communityserversuckage )

I realize it wasn't your choice 2 years ago to be stuck with this, but yes it is a real problem and it is nothing new.

(in fact this is the 2nd time I've posted this comment (as the first was lost))

51. idiot101 says:

bbc.com doenot play nice with ie9. Tried every configuration. Buggy even in compatibility mode.

52. Nancy says:

@Sean Jenkins, wouldn't it be great if you simply implement the TELLIGENT blogging suite for MSDN-BLOGS as they are handling windowsteamblog quite nicely!!

53. Klimax says:

@Gord 15 Aug 2011 6:11 AM link: blogs.msdn.com/…/ie-9-0-2-available-via-windows-update.aspx

You are of couerse wrong and authors of some websites went apparently long way to be incompatible in this little matter.

Ico format (more like special container similar to AVI or MKV) supports PNG:

blogs.msdn.com/…/10079192.aspx

So I would say that IE support PNG favicon as well, you just use same file type as before.

54. Blair says:

@Klimax – please explain how all of us developers that are using PNG based "favicons" in our web sites and applications are doing it wrong?!?!

If you mean we are doing it wrong because we didn't use a windows-based un-compressed ICO file that doesn't support an Alpha layer for real transparency you are absolutely right! That technology died before IE7 came out.  PNG is the superior preferred format for images on the web (outside of JPG for photographs).

If you mean that we need to write the correct link tag – as explained here on Wikipedia: en.wikipedia.org/…/Favicon  then yes we're all doing that part correct too.

Oh and look at that chart! right there listed in Wikipedia… it shows all the major browsers and the image formats they support…

Browser ICO PNG GIF animated GIFs JPEG APNG SVG

Google Chrome Yes 4.0 4.0 No 4.0 No Yes

Internet Explorer 5.0 No No No No No No

Firefox 1.0 1.0 1.0 Yes Yes 3.0 No

Opera 7.0 7.0 7.0 7.0 7.0 9.5 9.6

Safari Yes 4.0 4.0 No 4.0 No No

It doesn't take a genius to look down the PNG column to notice that all other browsers have supported PNG "favicon/ shortcut icons" for donkey's years.  Only Internet Explorer – "The Browser that couldn't" can't display them.

As for your suggestion that I should wrap my pre-compressed PNG image in an ICO "container" for the sake of hacked compatibility in the high-performance Web – I've got 4 words.

Absolutely NO _______ way!

55. Klimax says:

@Blair:

I guess somebody didn't read linked article and even failed to read what I wrote! I quote:

"The format of a PNG-compressed image consists simply of a PNG image, starting with the PNG file signature. The image must be in 32bpp ARGB format (known to GDI+ as Pixel­Format­32bpp­ARGB). There is no BITMAP­INFO­HEADER prefix, and no monochrome mask is present."

I said: "more like container" That means that it could store more formats of images that just plain old bitmaps without changing spec. (Microsoft team tried to utilise it, 3rd party tools were crashing…)

What IE does not parse is file of different type. But ico files support PNG, so I think that IE will display it as well.(afterall they use as many windows services as possible)

Test PNG inside ico and tell me how it worsk(or not). And one thing: It is not hack. RTFA please. Thank you.

56. Blair says:

@Klimax – I understand what you wrote, but I think you're missing the point.

IE should support a PNG image that I create from ANY tool under the sun on any OS as long as it is a valid PNG image.

The fact that it doesn't is the issue.

I'm never ever in my entire life wrap up a perfectly good well compressed PNG in anything if all I'm planning to do is render it. That would get my code posted on TheDailyWTF something I most certainly do not want.

So to recap, I did RTFA. The FA suggests doing something that is beyond retarded.

This is as silly as Zipping a PNG image before emailing it just so the receiver can open their zip program to un-wrap the image so they can see it.  Why on earth would I not just send the image, so they can preview it even before they save it.

Normally I totally appreciate all your comments and suggestions on the IE Blog – you tend to have a well balanced view.  In this particular case, review just exactly what you're expecting the 100's of 1,000's of developers to do in order to get IE to support a PNG image as the favicon vs. Microsoft fixing their browser to support PNG favicons natively without any ridiculous wrappers.  I realize you didn't write the original article (and aren't one of the developers in the thread of comments on it complaining about what it broke) but lets get serious – wrapping a PNG image to support it in any-shape-or-form is an unbelievably bad idea.  Just support PNG format straight up – end of story.

btw – to whomever supports this blog pls fix the comment form so that it saves posts 100% of the time – it is very frustrating to have to constantly re-post comments in order for them to save properly

57. Klimax says:

@Blair:

Only one thing was wrong in my comments: Ico serving as container. Incorrect, because there is no original structure from left ico.

(Means even I failed reading…)

There is only png with different extension. Use that and you'll have it all covered. So, rename that file to ico in correct colour format(32bpp ARGB) and you should have it all covered.

From what I saw IE uses WinApi regarding icons, that's msot probably the reason why renm to .ico is needed.

It is not silly like ziping png (with picture on a wooden table) emailing it because at most ico would function as container for WinAPI so same functions could support legacy and any future formats. Because should have it been silly, then every single container format would be silly… like avi,mkv,etc)

And most probably IE uses it, not some sort of private parser. However right now all is left from ico format is its name, nothing more…

And forget that it would get you on TDWTF. (would be non-wtf)

BTW:Did you test it at all?

Note:Regarding blog software – one way to contact them is: blogs.msdn.com/…/seanjenkin

IE Team has now controll over it. AFAIK Blog-team is aware of problem.

58. Peter S says:

IE9 is a great browser – however – there are mnay sites taht have issues with IE9. Is it the site or IE9 – soem admins say it is IE9 that is not fully compatible not their website – we as users suffer.

Skip to main content