User Experiences – Listen, Learn, Refine

Your feedback is an essential part of how we refine the user experience for the final product.

The IE9 beta reached millions of users around the world (over 25 million downloads), and we received a lot of feedback – a total of over 17,000 pieces of feedback since the start of IE9. The extensive reach of the beta gives us the opportunity to learn how users really use the product. Your feedback and opt-in user instrumentation are used to better understand your experiences with IE9. By listening to your specific feedback, and learning more about how you use the features through instrumentation, we gain more insight into how users browse. With those inputs, we took action to improve the overall user experience, and you can see the results in the IE9 RC.

For example, one area that we heard a lot of feedback was to refine search queries from the One Box (the new address bar with built-in search). Users can type a search query in the One Box that navigates to a search result Web page. Typically, the search result Web page shows a large search box at the top and bottom of the page to refine the query. We heard during beta, that users wanted the ability to refine the query through the One Box, too. We learned that the user behavior of starting a task and refining the task are closely connected. This led to extending the One Box to retrieve the search query through selecting the search icon.

Applying your feedback to refine the experience

Listening is a key part of our design process, and your feedback is a critical piece in refining the experience.

We start the design process by defining the user goals. We use these goals to guide our thinking so that the focus is always on the user. During the design of a feature, we use the instrumentation and telemetry we have, and apply judgment to determine the specifics of a feature. Once the feature is implemented, we evaluate it through a series of user studies. The user studies help identify issues that may not have been found through our internal use of the product at Microsoft. Even with the thousands of internal users, this is too small of a sample size to be representative of our larger user base.

This is what makes the beta so important. The broad reach of the beta allows us to evaluate the design with real users on a massive and statistically relevant scale. We have a variety of channels for feedback – the Connect site, blog post comments, site visits, and unsolicited comments from friends and family. We went through each and every piece of feedback to understand the user intent and expectation. We then stepped back to see how the feedback aligns with the goals we set out for the IE9 release for site-centric browsing through Windows.

We also recognize the range of our user base – some users browse to a dozen different sites on a regular basis while more enthusiastic users browse to many sites in just one session.

We want to make the broadest impact possible for all of our users. Our approach is two-fold:

• Invest in the areas where the default browsing experience is designed for everyone with sites at the center and
  • Extend browsing to enthusiasts while keeping the default experience focused for everyone.

Here are some of the changes we’ve made to the user experience for the RC release based on your feedback:

Frame

Less frame, more site content!

“Thank you for putting browser clutter in the background and letting the sites shine through.” – LovingIE9Beta

We are encouraged by the positive feedback on a site-centric frame that minimizes visual distraction from sites and significantly reduces the vertical space. The RC frame is now leaner with 5 more vertical pixels for the site content.

IE9 frame (un-minimized) is on the right with the 63 pixels of vertical space
IE9 frame (un-minimized) is on the right with the 63 pixels of vertical space

IE9 frame (maximized) is on the right with 55 pixels of vertical space
IE9 frame (maximized) is on the right with 55 pixels of vertical space

With more vertical space for the site, you can see one more email item, tweet, or news headline.

A consistent way to extend the frame

The frame layout shows only the most essential controls for navigation, giving you even more space for the site. For enthusiasts that want more of the browser controls visible can extend it through the frame context menu. At beta we heard that finding the right context menu is tricky – sometimes you get the system context menu depending on where you invoked the menu. We’ve combined the system and frame context menu so that you can consistently access the menu you want.

The menu bar is back

“I can press Alt to get menu up, but if I wanted to keep it there I can’t.” – acidtrance.

Now you can set the menu bar to always be visible.

One Box

Refine a search query

“Difficult to refine search terms, because search terms get replaced by the search page URL” – yasufs

When you search in the One Box, the last search query is available through the search icon on the right of the search box. This also works for the search keyboard shortcut, Ctrl-E.

One Box search icon
One Box search icon

Search using specific keywords like “:”

“As a power user I need to use advanced search operators like ‘site:’ or ‘filetype:’ very often. With the new address bar this results in an error message” – persident

Previously the One Box treated text with the colon “:” as a protocol like “mailto:” and “tel:” which triggered navigation instead of search. From the beta we learned that enthusiasts rely on these search-specific keywords to narrow down their search results. In IE9 RC when we detect the colon we first check to see if there is a matching protocol, and if it is not found we treat is as a search query.

Directly navigate with copied text (Ctrl-Shift-L)

“I know I can paste and then hit enter, but to do 2 steps instead of 1 when I use it all the time is frustrating.” – larune

In the IE9 beta, we updated the keyboard shortcut Ctrl-L to set focus in the address bar to navigate quickly. We learned that enthusiasts want even more ways to efficiently navigate. We extended this keyboard shortcut to directly navigate with text on the clipboard – copy text or a URL anywhere on the system and use Ctrl-Shift-L to navigate/search directly without needing to set focus in the address bar.

Tab enhancements

Dedicated tab row

“I prefer the tabs to be in a separate row, and I agree it should be an option so each person can choose.” – Jeff Yates

“What others said: speed and UI is great, just need an option for advanced users to move tabs into separate row. Keep up the good work!” – Vilius

We’ve heard from many avid users who want the option for a larger address bar and more room for tabs. There is a new option for a dedicated row of tabs to maximize the room for the address bar and tabs if you need it. Tabs use the entirety of the horizontal space – edge-to-edge.

IE9 RC Frame with a dedicated tab row
IE9 RC Frame with a dedicated tab row

Visible active tab

“when you have a couple of tabs open its hard to know which is the tab that is in focus or selected.” – LiquidBoy

When you have a lot of tabs, we heard that it was hard to find the active tab, especially when there are tab groups that use color to indicate a group. We’ve increased the contrast between the active and inactive tabs so that in a glance it is easy to find the active tab.

Close button on inactive tab

“I would like to be able to close any open tab by click on the “X” of that tab without bringing it to the foreground.” – osu940

The close button is available on an inactive tab so you no longer need to select a tab to close it. Alternatively, you can middle-click using your mouse on the tab to close it.

Pinned sites

Pin a site with Taskbar on the right or left

“my taskbar is actually docked at the left of the screen. when I want to pin a tab to the task bar, it does not recognize the task bar anymore.” – umhan

Pinned sites is a way to have your favorite sites at your fingertips through the Windows 7 Taskbar, simply by dragging the tab to the Taskbar. The most common configuration of the Taskbar is at the bottom. When a user drags a tab to either the left or the right, we treat this as Windows 7 Aero Snap to view tabs side-by-side. We realized that when the Taskbar is configured to the left or right, it was in conflict with Aero Snap. For RC, you can now pin sites to the Taskbar regardless of your Taskbar location. You can continue to use tab Aero Snap by redoing the snap motion (the first one motion is treated as pinning to the Taskbar, the second time it is treated as Aero Snap for a side-by-side view).

Taskbar located on the left, first drag tab motion is to pin the site
Taskbar located on the left, first drag tab motion is to pin the site

The second drag tab motion is to Aero Snap for a side-by-side view
The second drag tab motion is to Aero Snap for a side-by-side view

Pin a site with InPrivate Browsing

“why not make it possible for the user to choose to make InPrivate the default browsing mode? I may want to be InPrivate all the time, for example.” – Paul

If there is a site that you prefer to browse using InPrivate Browsing (does not store history, cookies, temporary Internet files, or other data) like checking Web mail on a shared computer, you can now pin the InPrivate Browsing site to the taskbar.

Hotmail as a pinned site with InPrivate Browsing
Hotmail as a pinned site with InPrivate Browsing

Pin multiple sites

“Pin a group of favorites as a single pinned entry” – Andy Jacobs

I saved the best for last. We received lots of positive feedback on having sites on the Taskbar just like any other application. Users found this to be a faster way to launch their everyday sites. We also learned through feedback that enthusiasts often use a set of sites together – for example banking sites, shopping sites, entertainment sites, etc. With the IE RC you can now set multiple homepages to a pinned site (right-click on the site icon). Each time you launch the pinned site the related sites are also available.

Shopping sites – Adding Ebay to my Amazon pinned site
Shopping sites – Adding Ebay to my Amazon pinned site

The dozen changes described in this post are a small subset of improvements we’ve made for the IE9 RC. Please give it a try. We couldn’t have made these changes without your thoughtful feedback.

Thanks to everyone who tried the IE9 beta and took the time to share their thoughts. You helped us design a better product for everyone who uses IE9.

—Jane Kim, Lead Program Manager, Internet Explorer User Experience

1. gawicks says:

Dedicated tab row doesn't work in FullScreen mode I filed a bug on connect here

connect.microsoft.com/…/ie9-rc-doesnt-honor-the-show-tabs-on-a-seperate-row-setting-in-fullscreen-mode

Also why haven't the modal dialogs like the 'Save Webpage' dialog been removed . They completly lock up the browser

2. c69 says:

opera 83px ?! 'coz it has status bar ?

come on, don't be pixel-pinchers ! opera, ie9 and chrome all have good 2-line header space.

firefox might need to copy the position of Firefox button from same source, that they got he button from.

other than that – nice article.

3. gawicks says:

Cannot edit my comment .so I will post my thank you for here

Keep up the good work

4. Aethec says:

While we're on the "feedback" topic…did you listen to people complaining about font rendering? The RC text rendering is better than the Beta one, but the GDI text still looks better =/

5. codedj says:

Good to see IE team back in the game. I had been using Google Chrome for the past few months due to the simplicity of the user interface. Since the RC I am 100% on IE to see how it goes. So far I am really liking it. A couple of things I miss. I had the define plugin for chrome where I could double click on any word and get the definition for it, on IE it is 3 of 4 steps away. When you download anything on IE8 it shows a popup, with IE9 it shows a bar at the bottom which I tend to miss. I have to look around to see why it did not popup to see a bar at the bottom. Chrome also shows a bar but it's a dedicated bar at the bottom with subtle animation vs. a white bar appearing on IE9 that blends with the page.

6. Stilgar says:

Please add page title on the window title bar (option) and bring back the information and buttons in the status bar (it is hidden by default already).

Oh and you know… the text rendering…

7. Kuli says:

Everythink looks great, the UI is very nice.

But the favorites bar doesn't fit in the new aero look. It looks like IE7…

You should integrate it better in the new design, then its perfect :)

8. Kuli says:

Everythink looks great, the UI is very nice.

But the favorites bar doesn't fit in the new aero look. It looks like IE7…

You should integrate it better in the new design, then its perfect :)

9. JohnCz says:

Question: Is there a One Box search operator that will tell IE to invoke a text search?

I installed IE9 RC on my wifes computer and she is generally pleased with its stability.  Great work.  However, the thing she complains about most with IE9 is searching text on the current page.  Its not very intuitive to use CTRL-F compared to the Find button that was in IE8's search box.

10. JairJy says:

Check spelling… please… come on, Live Mail have it, Chrome have it, Firefox have it, Opera have it. What are you waiting for?

Also I really want an option to pin tabs so they can use less space.

11. pmbAustin says:

I really want to see "Application Modal Dialogs" banned from web pages.  If a web page puts up a dialog, i should still be able to switch tabs.  The fact that a page can put up a dialog and basically 'lock" me into that page is how a lot of malware gets spread.  I should be able to close the page without responding.  I should be able to switch to a new tab without responding.  No one page should ever be able to completely lock me out of the rest of my browser.  Please disallow system modal and application modal dialogs within IE9 (at least those opened by pages and web apps).

I still want a separate search box.  The improvements to the One Box are good, naturally, but they aren't completely sufficient.  I don't like my drop-down list filling up with search results, pushing actual sites off the list.  I tend to do lots of searches at once, not just refining, but checking results in different engines.  I also like to have the search terms hang around while I poke through a bunch of pages, ready for me to reuse with one click.  A separate search box gives me all the flexibility I want and need… the one bar just strikes me as a kludge.  It certainly is useful for casual users, but just like "tabs on their own row", a separate search box fills the needs of power users.  Having an OPTION to add back a separate, dedicated search box next to the one box if tabs are on their own row would be very welcome.

The number one complaint I hear from people about the UI in IE is over the placement of the home button.  They want the home to be next to the back/forward buttons.  You've allowed customizing the position of the refresh and stop buttons (from right to left), and you already position the home button in the "Correct" place for pinned sites… please provide a customization option to move the home button to the left.  You'll gain many users that way, I think.  You'll also enable a consistency between the browswer and pinned sites.

And speaking of pinned sites, it would be very nice if you could provide an option to remove the chrome, like the address bar and "favorites", when pinning a site.  It can be confusing… no longer like an application at all.   Perhaps this could be coded into the page like the favicon and jump-list, so sites could choose how they look.

I want to echo the large chorus of people asking for the page title to be in the title bar.  That blank title bar just seems silly.  It's wasted space.  If you aren't going to put the tabs up there, then at least put the page title up there.

12. Lucas says:

I have to agree with Aethec on the text rendering. It's blurry. This reminds me of the Visual Studio 2010 text rendering in the early betas (ok, it's not _that_ bad, but it still sucks). It looked ridiculous, but you listened to the (overwhelmingly negative) feedback and fixed it. VS 2010 has clear text now.

Please listen to this feedback again. I actually considered switching back to IE9 after many years of Firefox, but I'm not going to rape my eyes for hours on end just so that sites could load faster.

Fix the text rendering. Please.

13. Kit Yeung says:

Would you mind to comment on the close tab behaviour comparing IE and Chrome, I personally perfer Chrome which allows you to close a series of tabs, while on IE users needs to relocate for the close button.

14. Alexei Mihalchuk says:

When did you receive feedback for squared tabs? Beta tabs were 1.000x better.

15. Chris says:

Pinned Tabs would be great, or at least minimized tabs that only show the favicon, to save a little space.

Also, an option to swap the pinned site / Aero snap order, so motion one is Aero snap, motion two is pinned site.

16. Matthew says:

Tabs appearance.

IE9 RC looks gorgeous with tabs disabled. Yes, tabs need to be workable on their own row, but the tabs feel alien to the rest of the design, like they were bolted on and don't properly integrate with the look and feel. A few people seem to have echoed my thoughts on it else where on the web.

Being a web developer while I'd love to see the history API, CSS Transitions and an automatic update mechanism for the engine, I am stunned at just how much IE has come along. You've done some fantastic work there. I just hope the final IE9 looks slick even with the tabs enabled.

17. ie 9 rc user says:

Good decisions, but you're keeping ignoring other feedbacks. It's not only a matter of UI.

PS: today I'm using FF, in reality. I need it to do some things for my blog, which I can't do with IE in the same manner.

18. Amtiskaw says:

Your images are outdated, Firefox 4 b11, which is available already, puts tabs in the toolbar, so would use less vertical space than IE9, while also allowing more visible tabs.

19. Sterling says:

1 – I really hate how the Refresh and Stop buttons look when place to the left of the OneBox, it looks awful in the OneBox with no separator and it's too small.

2 – I really wish I could remove the Home and Favorites buttons, since I don't use them and  would add more space for tabs, even on my 16:9 monitor, though I run IE9 and Chrome at 1600 width. BTW, I think the Favorites Bar should be redesign to blend in a little better to the IE9 look.

3 – Pinning sites video the Tools button only has an option for the Start menu. I do not pin sites to the Start menu but the taskbar.

4 – The Find Bar (CTRL+F) should open like the Downloads bar, why have a long bar across the browser window?

5 – What's the deal with IE9 not having a spell checker?

I think Microsoft should ditch the "User feedback bull" 'cause you obviously don't listen to  feedback and just go with telemetry.

I downloaded the IE9 beta and RC, and IE9 is shaping to be  great, modem browser, but I just don't see me going back to IE, at least not in the near future. Chrome might have its shortcomings (and believe me, it has then!), but I just don't know. While I do honesty think IE9 is a great browser, there's something about it that I don't like, and up until last year I was using IE8. Of course, that doesn't mean that I'll never go back to IE (I used to think I would never use another browser), but right now I'm just used to Chrome.

20. Ben says:

The new IE is very good under the hood, but after these ui tweaks i still miss some:

-No automatic browsing session loading. Maybe a checkbox in the option who wants this. To reach the current you must open a new tab and click on the "Reopen last session" link.

-New tab should be opened right next to the current tab. Or at least should be an option.

-Blank title bar is somehow ugly. I would prefer that the addressbar/tab bar go there at least when the browser is maximized.

-The Back button is cut down by the frame. Its looks very unprofessional.

-Search for and install addons/extensions in the Manage add-ons window like in Visual Studio 2010.

-I would love to see a sync service where i can sync favorites/tracking protection settings/browsing history/etc. across multiple machines and when the Windows Phone 7 update go live with my phone too.

I hope the IE team will at least think about these.

And i have to say that regardless of these i love the new IE(and most of the changes like the One Bar) and a big congratulation goes to the whole team.

21. Raan says:

Been using Chrome for while now, tried it IE9 Beta but had to go back to Chrome.  Came back to IE9 RC, trying it out for few days, big improvements over beta, now the problem is Gmail on IE9 RC, for more info please check the link below.  Also I feel the text rendering is little below when compare to Chrome.

IE9 RC + Gmail + DISQUS

social.answers.microsoft.com/…/9614b3b3-9ff7-4b42-ad3b-604f4793645b

Also Gmail HTML5 upload feature doesn't work.

22. Raan says:

Sometimes the tab changes colors, which is cool but when the color is dark, and the font is black, its hard to read.  May be its an UX issue?

23. xer21 says:

Now you have to redesign the favorites bar, you can trim some pixels off the top and bottom of the bar, and try and make it less ugly. maybe make it the aero style background instead of the default color, or make a gradient or something… just make it not so ugly and tall

24. SvenC says:

Please, everybody who does not like font smoothing, add your vote: connect.microsoft.com/…/cannot-turn-of-font-smoothing-in-ie9-rc

25. KS says:

You cannot compare frame height for one browser with a tab band of its own and for the other browser (IE9) without a tab band of its own.

26. Dustin says:

FYI, using the IE9 RC and Outlook Web Access (Exchange 2007), dragging and dropping an email into a folder no longer works.  This has worked previously with past IE9 builds (in the IE9 beta, for example).  Is this a known issue or something that will be fixed before IE9 goes final?

27. Nordic User says:

My complaints:

1. Font rendering is often awful. Please fix that;

2. Printing and print preview don’t work properly;

3. Reload button is badly placed, icon is small, easy to miss;

4. Plugins icon placement is nor fully thought through. For example when I want Lastpass button, I have to enable whole command bar! Do the boasting about vertical pixel becomes ridiculous. Why can’t we place icons where Home, Favourites and Tools are?

5. Memory usage on some sites;

6. Iexplore.exe refuses sometimes to exit in Task Manager  when IE9 is closed. Note that all unnecessary add-ons are disabled and all active ones are updated;

7. Copy-paste formatted text does not work; pasted text format is messed up. This is known issue;

8. Modern browser needs a speller. I know that MS response in connect.microsoft.com is that omission of speller is by design. Please reconsider your position. Webapps are becoming THE apps nowadays.

On the positive side I have to admit, that IE9 is FIRST usable browser from Microsoft. It is visually nice, standard compliant and fast. After years of Firefox use I am going to switch, hope that RTM is not far away and all bugs get fixed. Well done!

28. KS says:

xer21: you can be sure that the favorites bar goes away in the future. Why do you think was it made to look that ugly if not for this?

29. Nordic User says:

Almost forgot: Gmail DOES NOT work properly with IE9!

30. Greg says:

Glad you're working on feedback, but the pixel measurements for the vertical space just seem petty. It's nice to see IE9 competing, but you don't need to remove every darn thing for the sake of some sort of browser e-penis competition.

31. uhmmm says:

Can somebody please answer this simple question?

Why are IE9 fonts rendered so blurry? It hurt my eyes. I cannot use IE9 RC because of this. Because of this i have not switched to linux/Ubuntu, because font rendering in Firefox in linux is same or worst like in IE9. So please answer me WHY? Why you do not give a DAMN what are other users thinking. IE9 font rendering is terribly bad. PLEASE FIX IT..

32. Mario says:

Hello, With the "Onebar" May i recommend  like if a user types @Twitter  it redirects the user to the webpage of that twitter account.   Plus Why is the back button cut off a little(This bugs me the most)

33. Andras Ludanyi says:

I would like to see a feature to open a link into a link-pool (a separate special tab) instead into a tab, in a link-pool the page would load and it would generate a thumbnail and then unload (to save resources); In that way, I would be able to browse trough pages in the link-pool and when I click on a particular page, the page would open into a new tab (this time for real browsing) and it would be removed from the link-pool (the thumbnail). Many times I open a few dozen sites to read, and some of them I read only hours or days later… and all that time they are sitting in an open tab eating up resources, I think this problem could be solved with a solution I just described.

Also if you put the tabs in a separate row, the "refresh" button is way too far from the main control buttons (back, forward) especially on a 1920×1080 display. Also the option to put the tabs over the address bar would be nice and it could save a little extra pixels too when use it from a maximized window as you could use the empty title bar space for the tabs (BTW the empty title bar is great, I hope it will stay empty for the RTM as well.)

Other than that… IE9 is really a great browser.

34. JuanK says:

W?

guys I'm using Chrome development build, and no space available in title bar…  just 60px

img257.imageshack.us/…/chromei.png

I'd like to see IE9 with 0px wasted in title bar.. I mean, just 35px of vertical space…

img827.imageshack.us/…/sinttulo1gur.png

35. JuanK says:

"Directly navigate with copied text (Ctrl-Shift-L)"

mm would bve cool to have a context menu option for that

36. @uhmmm, others: I blogged about IE9's sub-pixel fonts in blogs.msdn.com/…/sub-pixel-fonts-in-ie9.aspx

It is important to tune ClearType to ensure the best possible rendering of sub-pixel fonts. That's also described in the above post.

37. morgan says:

Font Rendering Sucks!

One bar STILL doesn't show favicons – complete UI fail

Tabs are no longer rounded – looks horrible

Gmail doesn't work

Geolocation doesn't work

HTML5 forms don't work

text-shadow doesn't work

Spell checker! – IE is the only modern browser on the entire planet that doesn't have a spell checker!?!?!   Its like having a car without indicators! – sure you could live without them, but the rest of the planet thinks you are a total !@#$!@ because your spelling is atrocious.  Best of all you look like a tool because your browser is so dumb that it doesn't include one. – Disgraceful IE.

Spoon.net? – What's the story Microsoft? Are you going to provide a workable (not 4 VMs on Win7Pro crud) solution?!

Can you shove more icons inside the search bar please? Right now there is only 7 icons/extra bits:

1.) Drop arrow

2.) HTTPS Lock

3.) Verified by foobar…

4.) Search Icon

5.) Compatibility Flag

6.) Reload Icon

7.) Stop Icon

Can I also get a Coffee icon, a Toasted Sub icon, a picture of my LOL cat, and my top 5 avatars? oh and a windows logo, and a zune logo, etc.

If I don't put tabs on their own row, then the Home icon is after all of my tabs (bad placement)

Reload and Stop icons should be on the left, not the right of the address bar

In the address bar drop down, the important information (THE URL I'M TYPING is not LEFT-ALIGNED under where I'm typing for easy matching/navigation it is floated to the right where it is useless and truncated.  The "title" on the left is just shy of pointless and if you insist on showing it should be on the right.

Glad you got rid of quick tabs – kudos on accepting that you failed on that one.

Bookmarks are still limited to ridiculous security settings to try and add, when using bookmarklets – as well as limited to 500 characters making them un-friendly for developers.

Prompt popup still looks like Windows 3.11

For the record you'll find that most techies turn off the auto-feedback to Microsoft because they value their privacy – so your telemetry data for techy people (read almost all programmers) is completely abscent of real data.  Not to mention that they do their "real" development work in Chrome, Firefox or Safari so you won't get the real data at all.

38. morgan says:

@Ted Johnson – we've blogged, commented and tweeted about ClearType's failures since it was added to Windows.  The issues users have with ClearType have existed before IE9 and they are no better now.

Please don't tell us to "tune" our ClearType when we've "Clearly" discovered that it doesn't work.  Telling me that "garbage" isn't garbage – that I just have to "tune" it is an insult to our intellect and your end users.

We DO NOT WANT CLEARTYPE (today, or EVER!) Please turn it OFF BY DEFAULT!

39. uhmmm says:

@Ted Johnson [MSFT]: My ClearType setting are default Windows 7 settings on 20"LCD at 1680×1050 pixels, standard 96 DPI. There is no need to run ClearType Tuner or change anything in the OS, my fonts are excellent. Except of IE9 which is really terrible. I had to uninstall it because my eyer were hurting. IE8 has correct ClearType rendering. IE9 is a mess. Firefox 4 is the same fiasco, but at least you can disable HW acceleration and font are again nice sharp. I asume Microsoft will not fix it so i will switch to FF4 when released..

40. thenonhacker says:

Hi IE9 Team! Just would like you to know, that Mozilla is making a case that IE9 is not really HTML5 Compliant: people.mozilla.com/…/ie9

They are citing that caniuse.com and html5test.com (beta) scores for IE9 is lower than Firefox 4. Don't get me wrong, I like IE9, but they make a strong case regarding Standards Compliance.

Keep on improving! Don't relax after you release IE9. Work on IE9.1 ASAP, and solve the "As Designed" bugs on Microsoft Connect that you rush-marked.

(Found via http://www.reddit.com/…/is_ie9_a_modern_browser )

41. thenonhacker says:

(Found via http://www.reddit.com/…/is_ie9_a_modern_browser )

42. Harvey says:

Not only do Paul's thoughts on IE9 ring true, but browsers like the "beta" one on the yet-to-be-released PlayBook score better on HTML5 tests than IE9 RC.

Last I checked basic stuff like innerHTML still didn't work in IE9 – so don't even start talking about HTML5 in IE.

43. KS says:

@uhmm: can you provide a screenshot that shows the difference between text display in IE9 and other text display in ClearType on your system? I cannot see any difference.

44. Jane Kim [MSFT] says:

@pmbAustin – thanks for the feedback on the reasons why you like a dedicated search box.  we'll keep listening on the customization options for future consideration.

@Sterling – you're right about the pinned sites experience is best when it's available on the Taskbar through dragging the current tab.  We also have a tools menu to add it to the start menu for keyboard users.  You can add it to the start menu, then from the start menu have the ability to pin to the taskbar.

@Ben – we currently don't have auto-lad your last session, and one tip that i found helpful is to set the home page to about:tabs which has a link to get the my last session.  You can also get the behavior of opening the tab to the right of the active tab by turning off tab groups (internet options > tab browsing settings)

@Andras Ludanyi – for your comment abou the refresh button location, you can change this to be on the right side of the One Box (right-click on the button and there is a menu item to change the location).

45. Don Reba says:

Not having a separate search box is crippling. The primary reason I have not moved on from IE was that it had the best search UI; it no longer does. It used to be that I could press Ctrl+E, enter some text, hit Ctrl+Down, then enter the first letter of the search provider's name to search for anything I wanted anywhere in seconds without breaking workflow. I could search for something using one provider, then another, if I did not find what I needed. The new UI has no convenient keyboard shortcuts and is equally useless for the mouse, since it does not even show me which search provider is which — it only shows a long row of the default search icon repeated many times over. Searching with multiple providers is out, since the query gets replaced by the page URL. It's a disaster.

46. Aethec says:

@Ted Johnson:

You do not understand. The question we are asking is "Why on Earth does text in IE9 looks different than text in other Windows applications?". 99.999% of users do *not* care about sub-pixel rendering. As the WPF team said, you'd need a 300 DPI screen for sub-pixel rendering to look nice.

If you truly listen to users complaint, set sub-pixel rendering as an option, off by default. If there are text animations, or the users zooms a webpage – fine, enable it. Else, don't.

Furthermore, 90% of users don't even know what the ClearType Tuner is (or what ClearType is). If text in IE9 looks different from other apps, users won't think "oh, I should tune ClearType". They'll just say "WTF?".

Oh, and, by the way…do you truly believe the IE9 text in your blog post is nicer to read than the IE8 text?

Here's a screenshot of what it looks like on my system: http://i.imgur.com/CWnu2.png

@thenonhacker:

If Paul Rouget truly believes a) MS's test are meant to represent reality and b) caniuse.com or html5.com actually represent standards-compliance, he is an idiot.

If he is simply trolling, he should realise this will be quoted as an official opinion from Mozilla…not very smart.

I think someone should remind him that IE9 scores better at the official CSS 2.1 Test Suite (its RC, at least) than FF4. Or maybe he already knows but doesn't want to admit defeat?

47. Cougar says:

I second Raan's comment. The transparent inactive tabs are hard to read when placed over a dark background. There is a reason why the Aero window captions have the white glow around them…

48. Cougar says:

As for text rendering, sometimes I really don't understand you, MS. The Visual Studio/WPF team too great efforts to rewrite text rendering to reduce bluryness of small fonts, yet here comes IE9 with exactly the same problem. You guys need to talk to each other more.

49. hAl says:

@theonhacker

html5test.com is a joke.

It gives only 20 point for support the Canvas 2D context spec which is big and complex but at the same time it gives 20 points to a single html5 element, the device element. An element has been discontinued by w3c HTML5. It is not likely to return before may when the W3C HTML specs should be feature complete. It also gives points for webgl which has nothing to do with HTML5. Mayby a future HTML6 might contain a Canvas 3D spec.

And caniuse.com is also weird as it represents presents itself as a sort of full listing of supported webstandard specs but actually it is a carefully handpicked selected set of the specs. If you look at the CSS3 listing on that site it is limited to parts that are mostly still drafts and none of which IE9 supports. So according to caniuse.com IE9 does not support any CSS3. But for instance a long existing candidate recommendation ruby spec that FF does not support is not ion  the site.

Caniuse does not list any CSS2 spec elements (it has an empty CSS2 category). Weird because in last years W3C conformance test IE9 scores the highest of all browsers on CSS 2.1 support.The caniuse site list several draft future webapps Javascript API's that IE9 does not support but does not list support for the currect javascript itself. Strange as IE9 is the number one in for instance the Sputnik javascript conformance test (a test from Google) where Firefox has fails on triple the amount of tests that IE9 does. And that is current CSS and javascript that is used in the real world today where Firefox is behind in suppoert on IE9. The caniuse sites selective and obviously biased picking of supported specs is shocking. That Mozilla calls a biased site like caniuse.com a reference for developers is laughable. I would almost think they are behind it.

50. Robert says:

Maximised Chrome vs IE9, for the sake of 5 pixels, having the tabs and address bar separate is gold…

51. hAl says:

I agree with the comment that the CTRL+F for search on page is not evident enough for normal users. I would suggest adding a "search on page" to the rightclick contextual menu.

52. Peter says:

This "Pin multiple sites" only open the sites. Imagine I want a pin desktop icon "MSDN blogs", this "Pin multiple sites" would open 20 sites (or more?) sites. Why I can't pin e.g. the IE Blog and add the silverlight blog to the same entry. Like the "pinned sites" in the IE Icon contextmenu.

53. JV says:

Please fix or advise on the ITBar7Position setting to put the Menu bar on top again. This was asked by 2 people in the RC announcement thread and has gone unanswered.

54. Björn says:

@Aethec: While I prefer the default ClearType setting and not the one you've got, the DW rendered text is clearly superior in terms of character spacing and kerning (look at "odio" in Verdana and Arial)

55. Sterling says:

@Jane Kim [MSFT]: The option to pin a site to the taskbar should be in the menu (Tools). That would only take two clicks, while your suggestion requires keyboard and mouse actions.

56. Pies says:

I like most of the changes, but I don't like your approach to the tabs. Chrome has a better model in which the address bar and buttons "belong" to the current tab. You're also wasting space by not putting tabs above the address bar. They feel like an afterthought.

57. Parrotlover77 says:

After playing with it, I can say the OneBox is vastly improved.  Sitll, I much prefer a separate search box.  I like being able to partition my search from my address.  There are still some things that don't work right in the OneBox.  For example, you can't search for a URL.  Now why would you want to do that?  Maybe you are trying to find all references to the URL.  If you type a URL in the OneBox, it navigates.  In IE8, it didn't navigate, it properly searched for a URL as a query.  With tabs on a separate row, there is a TON of space for a search box.  Why not just have that be an option?  Come on, MS.

58. Parrotlover77 says:

Also, put the page title back in the title bar.  The blank space at the top of the browser just looks stupid.  I hated that when Windows Explorer started doing it and now I hate it more with IE.  If windows are piled on top of windows, there's no way to see, at a glance, which page holds what (active) website.  I understand you want a "clean" look, but why not give users the option to add it back?

59. Prior Semblance says:

The page title on the title bar would be nice, surely it would be an extremely easy change to make?  It could even be an option, if theres some weird reason for not having it there that makes you want to keep it blank.

60. Steven says:

@Parrotlover77

It's entirely possible to search for a URL.

Hit Ctrl + E, or manually prefix the string with a question mark (Ctrl + E does this for you).

That is, in the box: ?http://www.google.com/

This will execute a search instead of navigating.

61. Adrian says:

@Juan Carlos Ruiz Pacheco

It's already on the context menu.  Copy some text, then right-click on the webpage, then choose "Search using copied text".

62. I'm having Java crashes in the RC. Anyone else affected with this?

63. Soum says:

But what is the point in removing getting rid of Feed/WebSlice discovery notification. Why not do something like highlight (glow) the Tools button, and in that directly list the discovered feeds?

64. mahara says:

@Ted Johnson:

I've read the sub-pixel positioning post you mentioned the day after it's published. Still until now, I don't understand why you didn't notice and realize how blurry the IE9 font rendering (the left boxes) in the images you posted. And yet, you kept putting an argument that it's a ClearType setting issue. As just confirmed by Aethec in the link here: http://i.imgur.com/CWnu2.png, I confirm I see the same thing as well.

I don't honestly understand what is going on here. As to my understanding, ClearType in GDI is actually different than ClearType in DirectWrite. Thus, text rendered with GDI + its own ClearType looks more crisp than one rendered with DirectWrite + its own ClearType. Am I right?

Will someone who trully understand this issue bring an enlightment here? Thanks.

65. mahara says:

@Aethec:

Are you using Windows 7 SP1?

66. Mario says:

Will IE9 be stable in March? i hope so!

67. pmbAustin says:

The font rendering looks fine to me on all the machines I've installed IE9 on.

For those who are constantly complaining about bad text/font rendering, could you post images showing examples (good and bad, side by side), as well as information on what systems you're running on (model numbers, graphics cards, driver versions, and any other info you feel is relevant)?  I think that would be more helpful than just saying "it sucks".

I have to say I agree with a lot of the other suggestions and opinions on here.  A glow or highlight of the tools button when there's a feed/webslice available would be nice.

I also really don't like all the "invisible" click targets… like the blank space in the upper left corner where the system menu is.  Why not an IE icon, so people know there's something to click there?  Likewise the space between the one bar and the tabs (when all on one row)… why no "grab bar" like on tool bars and window splitters, that let you know that you can click and drag there to resize things?  And there's no indication that clicking and holding on the back/forward buttons will show a list of history.

Having the tools menu have a "pin to start menu" as a one step way to pin the page on the start bar (without a mouse).

I would love to see some improvements to the favorites as well… I have way too many favorites and bookmarks.  They're not always organized well.  Being able to drag-and-drop organize "in place" without having to go to the cumbersome 'manage your favorites' dialog) would be nice.  So would being able to search for things in the favorites list (including all folders).  Having a search box in the favorites/history menu would be awesome (like the search box in the Start Menu).  Please consider that for future revisions!

And the favorites bar?  I use it a lot.  I put most of my most common sites on it.  But I use a LOT of sites, and it would be nice to be able to resize it (again, like the task bar) so I could get two rows of favorite site buttons on there.

68. CvP says:

– Less frame, more site content!

I want to be able to (optionally) move the back/forward/addressbar/home/fav/tools IN the "empty title bar" space. PLEASE!

– Dedicated tab row

For enthuasists who need to work with 30/40+ tabs, please give us the *option* of "Multirow tab bar"

– Close button on inactive tab

I appreciate you listening to user feedback. But please keep in mind that some features can be desired by some while creating problems for others.

This is one of them. Please give us the *option* to turn it off.

Thank you for listening to our feedback. If you listen to these as well and give us the *option*, you will only gain more applause and lose nothing :)

Another thing about a lot of tabs: When you have a lot of tabs opened, the taskbar icon preview becomes kinda useless. Since you have tab grouping in IE9, why not display the previews in groups (may be by using menu or an icon for each group -> click to view all tabs under that group). would be cool to have 😀

69. tuxplorer says:

I know it's hard to listen to the feedback of such a broad scale of users and make everyone happy but your fundamental approach of excessive data and telemetry-driven design is wrong. Also, you just cannot remove features that already exist, you only have to disable them by default but keep them in the product for power users. This is what backward compatibility used to at Microsoft about. The design of previously shipping features remained accessible as a user preference, now it's no longer. Your approach is one size fits all and IE9 has very little configurability as far as UI is concerned. I am just skipping over IE9 and hoping IE10 will reintroduce removed user interface elements. WinXP support is also critically important but when you say "you listen", you only listen what you want to. When IE9 was announced, XP was at 70% market share according to Net Applications (the very site Microsoft refers to) and no excuse is good enough for not supporting this OS. IE9 has software rendering mode as an option why couldn't it run on XP that way or with partial 3D acceleration (Direct3D only) like Safari or Firefox does?

Once a feature ships, you make improvements or changes to it but you retain forever the option to the previous behavior. The dedicated search box, page title in title bar, tab list menu, large icons, progress bar+status bar with full functionality ALL OF THEM could have been disable by default but you should have kept them as options that can be brought back with a simple checkbox preference. At least that's how or why previous IE releases didn't drop functionality. It's called UI customization flexibility and it's super important because previous IE versions had them, people use and depend on them. And you constantly fiddle with the UI where there is no need. For example, one feature lost because of UI fiddling is the ability to selectively restore tabs from the previous session (after IE is closed and opened again). Now only tabs from current session which were recently closed can be selectively opened or the entire last session has to be opened. Yet another example: IE9 is increasingly more noisy about notifications, exactly the thing Windows 7 tries to reduce or quieten. Simple things like clearing history or download completion show a visual notification which overlays the page and has to be closed manually (could anything be worse design than this?). Not only should any notification not cover any part of the page but they should close automatically like Windows' balloon notifications do. All of the UI elements of IE9 are now so small for HD resolutions like 1920 x 1200 that alone makes IE9 unusable for me without the option of large icons.

I'm sorry to say but as program manager, you don't understand user interface backward compatibility, customizability and usability good enough. Too much is being decided by telemetry and what majority of users want even though they may not be power users. That approach is fundamentally flawed. IE9 is a bad dream for me I'm going to skip over and wait for IE10.

70. tuxplorer says:

I've updated my list of features intentionally or unintentionally removed due to careless and option-less user interface changes. See http://bit.ly/escAc9.

71. Esben says:

@Ted Johnson – The problem is that text in IE9 looks different from other apps. Text in other apps looks great. Talk to the Visual Studio 2010 team, they fixed the problem!

72. Esben says:

Here is how the WPF/VS10 team fixed the text rendering problem: blogs.msdn.com/…/additional-wpf-text-clarity-improvements.aspx

73. Stilgar says:

@Ted Johnson your comment insults our intelligence. I guess this is OK. I've been insulting the IE team's intelligence since I started using the beta because of the font rendering. I guess We're even.

P.S. Posting from Firefox. Is anyone else unable to post comments on this particular blog with IE9 RC?

74. Smart says:

I'm a former MSFT, now company founder of a top 300 internet site.

IE9's lack of History API support makes it very difficult to move forward with truly rich applications on the web.  I think we can all agree that IE9 customers would appreciate their back buttons working more frequently and on more sites.  In the best case, sites try to provide hackish #! resource URL path emulation.   This is a poor substitute for the History API, which enables better management of the location bar and history stack.

How long will users have to wait before IE9 is patched to support for this and other important features mentioned on caniuse.com?

75. Watcher says:

All this discussion remind me a time, when IE8 was about to be released. Then IE team (especially Dean Hachamovitch) tried to explain, that JavaScript performance is not important at all, only user perception counts. And that IE8 was as fast as competition. If fact it was't. It was a dog. And those who stated, that IE8 was dog were utterly misinformed and did not know a thing about browsers. All of the sudden now MS boast about JS speed and importance of web-standards.

Now we've got an argument between Ted Johnson and the actual users (who MS promised to listen). Ted, fonts look cr*p in IE9. Period. Look at new Twitter webpage both in Chrome and IE9. When using Twitter on IE9 I thought that my glasses are playing a trick to me, fonts are so out-of focus and blurry as hell. Your justification of sub-pixel rendering is a insult to me and others, so please stop it and start to listen THE USERS.

76. thommck says:

It's hard to believe that you really listen to user feedback when you still don't include an in-line spell checker.

IESpell is not an acceptable solution. I want to be able to see mistakes as I type, not remember to press a button.

Microsoft Office must have one of the best crowd-sourced spell check dictionaries available so why not include it in IE?

As a professional, I do not want to be embarrassed by leaving a badly spelt comment. This is the sole reason I do not use IE9 as my default browser.

Please, please, please truly listen to us and provide in-line spell checking.

77. hAl says:

I seem to have similar (identical to the eye) rendering in IE9 and other W7 applications.

Cleartype is in its default setting (a fairly fresh install of W7) on a laptop.

No significant blurring on normal sized text.

So I concur with pmbAustin that the complaining people should provide more information (examples, syste info) on their problem with font rendering.

78. Björn says:

@Esben: The blog post you linked just discusses how they just went made their GDI-style rendering mode more like GDI when dealing with light-on-dark text, but GDI-style rendering is not an option for IE9 as it would come with certain disadvantages for web designers.

79. uhmmm says:

@pmbAustin: I HOPE YOU ARE JOKING. Everytime when somebody claims that he/she sees no difference between IE8 and IE9 – this always pisses me off. ARE YOU SERIOUS?

You should visit an eye doctor. Seriously. How is is possible that nobody in Microsoft sees how BAD are fonts in IE9? If following screenshot is not good enought, i will install IE9 RC and post other ones… Meantime look at this i55.tinypic.com/2cgy105.jpg

80. Surya says:

Please, if you're working with pre-release versions of browsers, use the newsest ones. Firefox 4 only uses 61 pixels when maxed, and has done so for a few weeks now.

81. Zkal says:

@uhmmm: Here is how the fonts in IE9 look on my computer – i55.tinypic.com/wqvlna.png . I haven't needed to run the ClearType tuner to get that effect or anything, they just look good on default. What pisses me off that you pretend like everyone has font issues with IE9. They don't, it's just like with everything else on computers. For someone it is working just fine, for some it isn't. I could ask you if you ARE SERIOUS that the fonts in IE9 are worse 'cause I've never seen any issues with them.

82. Slugsie says:

My 2c

1. Thank you for allowing Tabs to have their own row :) Now could you please let me decide where the tabs are in relation to the one-bar etc (ideally in the title bar just like FF4 and Opera)

2. For some reason my IE9 takes up huge amounts of space for the one-bar, tabs, and the two tool bars I have (favourites and StumbleUpon). It takes up a huge amount of space compared to FF4beta11 – especially when I have the tabs in the title bar of FF. But even so, everything just looks huge. It could probably save 20px by just shaving a few off each one, and it'd look a lot better as a result.

3. Please, please, please, give us the option of having a separate search box. I don't like searching from the one-box, it just never works quite right for me.

4. Is there a mouse short-cut for Ctrl-Shft-L? FF has Paste&Go.

5. In your comparison images you really should use the FF4 tabs in title bar for a more reasonable comparison.

83. uhmmm says:

Zkal@ You should go to eye doctor. Because your screenshot is exactly what i am talking about. Broken font rendering in IE9. I can assure you that everybody suffers from this issue and it has alsolutelly NOTHING to do with ClearType settings in Windows. Also i am NOT the only one affected by this. IE9 simply renders fonts the wrong way and what is really sad, that Microsoft employees do not see this problem. Somebody that incompetent should be imediatelly fired.

And here are my adtiotional screenshots IE9 RC versus IE8 – If somebody tells me that he/she sees no difference, i give up. You are lost forever and IE9 will be failure.

oi55.tinypic.com/35i6bsy.jpg

oi55.tinypic.com/2rr1b1v.jpg

oi56.tinypic.com/2mcsivk.jpg

84. ie 9 rc user says:

Well, apart from the others I've made in a comment for the previous post about feedback, I've forgotten a criticism, related to images. In many cases, I need to copy only the link related to the image shown, not the image itself. In Firefox, I can do this by pressing on "Copy Image Location". In IE, I must pass through Properties and then copying the address from the "Address (URL)" field. A simple menu item like the one in FF described before would be better and easier than the current behavior.

85. AndyC says:

Arrrrgh. For the love of all that is holy. You cannot take screenshots of Cleartype. It's device dependent, so the end result of a screenshot won't look right (or even the same) if viewed on different displays. You can post all the pictures you like, but nobody else is seeing what you are seeing so there's no point, it proves nothing either way.

The best things to do if you see blurry text are:

1) Run the Cleartype tuner. Even if applications not using sub-pixel text positioning look ok, the tuner can dramatically improve the look of sub-pixel positioned fonts (like in IE9) and will probably benefit other applications slightly too.

2) Make sure you have the DPI settings correct for your display, especially to the people complaining the IE chrome elements are too small because that's a sure fire sign you have your DPI set wrong. Setting the DPI correctly can massively improve text display.

86. Rhapsody says:

With the monitorsizes of today, the 10px difference at the top doesn't really maater.

But what matters is the support of HTML/CSS standards, what do you think about this post: people.mozilla.com/…/ie9  ?

87. uhmm says:

AndyC@ You simply dont get it… Do you?

IE9 font rendering has NOTHING to do with ClearType settings. I have HP w2007v monitor, 20", 16:10, resolution 1680×1050 pixels. Windows 7 fonts are excellent. ClearType is great technology and fonts are the same in the OS and also in IE8, but not in IE9. There in no need to tweak ClearType settings or mess with the DPI, which i have set to default 96dpi. There is simply no way how to get the same fonts appearance in IE9 like are fonts in IE8 or IE7 or Firefox 3.6.

Difference on those pictures between IE9 versus IE8 must be visible on any LCD display. Are you all BLIND?

88. SvenC says:

@Ted Johnson: like several others I did of course try to get a better text display with ClearType tuning but it did not work out for me like for others as well. People with good eye sight do see the blurry unsharp text and it troubles their eyes.

I really cannot understand why you force font smoothing on everybody.

What is the problem to add an option to disable font smoothing?

89. Zkal says:

@uhmmm: Did you bother even checking the screen? Just compare the article preview text between my screenshot and your screenshot. Very much different. If you mean that the popup menu fonts are bad, they've been bad for me even with IE8 so that proves nothing. I do not see the issue in my computer which is clearly visible on your screenshots. Calling me blind because I actually have properly working computer with proper monitor shows how mature you are.

90. Kate says:

Hey Microsoft, in the RC, there seems to be no "Website" property sheet in the properties of a pinned website to change its URL? Will it return in RTM? How can we change the icon of a pinned website if it doesn't have a favicon?

91. hAl says:

@ uhmmm

" Are you all BLIND?"

No we are not. But our visual perception of the fonts is likely different than yours.

This can be because your hardware displays things different than ours which is a likely cause. Or it can be that you have a real different visual perception from us.

92. WedMor says:

The problem with telling people to adjust cleartype is that there are people, like myself, that do not want it turned on at all (if this is actually even a cleartype issue) – Which may be why others that have had cleartype enabled from the start don't really notice the font issue.  Though this recent bug in connect seems to show that MS was able to reproduce the issue connect.microsoft.com/…/cleartype-is-always-used-even-when-disabled-in-ie-options-and-window-7.  It would just be nice to have someone from [MSFT]  let us know what is really going on with this.  This is a big issue, even though there are some that would have you think otherwise.

93. uhmmm says:

Zkal@ your screenshot is leading example of how very different fonts are between IE9 and IE8.

IE8 is using correct ClearType hinting which is the same across entire Windows desktop and IMO is the best font rendering on any platform.

IE9 is rendering fonts different way, making them blurry and heavy to read. It is not ClearType anymore. It is something different.

Everybody who is claiming that my computer is not properly working, wrong configured and i must adjust ClearType or DPI – these persons are retarded. I am working in IT for 15 years now and i can assure you that i am right and you are wrong. IE9 has brokend, blurry font rendering and this issue must be fixed. The same problem has also Firefox 4, but as some other people are saying, if you in FF4 disable HW acceleration, you will get back previous, correct font rendering. So at least FF4 give you the option to get back properly hinted, sharp, beautiful ClearType fonts.

More on IE9 fonts >>

When is IE9 displaying page in some old compatibility mode with 2pix gray border around the website, in this case are fonts OK and they are the same like in IE8.

When is some website already optimized for IE9 and there is no 2pix border around the website, you will get these new, very blurry fonts which are harder to read.

This is not ClearType anymore as we know it. This is something new and totally broken…

94. AndyC says:

@uhmmm: I do get it. But I can't compare, because both those screenshots of yours look utterly illegible to me, the IE8 one marginally worse if anything. This is because I'm using a different display, so I can't see what you see when you look at them. Which was my whole point.

And yes, when IE9 is rendering in non-compatability mode it uses sub-pixel positioning, rather than trying to force text onto pixels. This absolutely will look worse if you have your display set up wrong or have not tuned Cleartype (which is how Windows determines the correct sub-pixel arrangement). if you have things configured correctly for your hardware (and to a degree, your visual perception), it will look clearer and more readable however.

95. uhmmm says:

AndyC@ i am glad that somebody finally agrees that IE9 renders fonts differently, but this new style is IMO worst than IE8. It is heavier to read, my eyes are hurting and adjusting ClearType is no help i my case. It break consistancy within desktop where entire OS has different fonts than web browser. I do not understand how it can look clearer and more readable. Default ClearType fonts across entire desktop and in IE8 are much better readable.

96. Björn says:

@uhmmm: Actually DirectWrite rendering is the more correct one, ie. how the font designer envisioned it: blogs.msdn.com/…/sub-pixel-fonts-in-ie9.aspx

You should also compare old GDI rendering to the one in Adobe products and OS X.

97. Xero says:

I think a keybaord shortcut to activate and deactivat the "show tabs on separate row" option would be very useful as it would be faster.

98. hAl says:

@uhmmm

I just noticed several of your examples are with IE9 not showing the compatibility mode button.

Thus being pages already shown in compatibility or quirks mode.

As IE9 subpixel positioning is only used in standards mode webpages the subpixel positioning should be the cause of what you are viewing.

On compatibility mode pages IE9 should only be using Cleartype rendering

blogs.msdn.com/…/sub-pixel-fonts-in-ie9.aspx

99. Benedicht says:

@Jane Kim [MSFT]:

"we currently don't have auto-lad your last session, and one tip that i found helpful is to set the home page to about:tabs which has a link to get the my last session.  You can also get the behavior of opening the tab to the right of the active tab by turning off tab groups (internet options > tab browsing settings) "

Thanks for the tip, but its a workaround and not a solution. And while the "Directly navigate with copied text" gained a lot more love, i don't understand why this(session management) left out from the browser?

100. uhmmm says:

Higher ClearType contrast make IE9 fonts slightly better, but it's still not so good like IE8. I am not sure if i would accustom to that, my eyes are hurting..

101. elmsoftware says:

I believe that you should have the address bar be a 'child' of the tab.  It makes design sense that the address be owned by the tab (website).  Chrome has it right on this.  IE9 is fast but the address bar and tabs, I would have liked to been done differently.  I have tried both IE9 tab locations, but I wish that you offered a third.  I am a Microsoft fan and supporter, my career is based on Microsoft technologies…please consider moving the address bar to be a child of the tab similar to Chrome and the upcoming Firefox.

102. alirezanoori says:

You've improved IE9 a lot but if you move the addressbar + tabs to title bar (kind of like fullscreen with disabled autohide) and move the dedicated tab row to top of addressbar (not below it), it would remove half of IE's realstate for frame. Currently (as so many users mentioned) title bar is empty in maximized state. At least introduce an option for us to do it. Thank you for the wonderful browser. I hope we get regular updates after the release.

103. alirezanoori says:

Also the ability to pin websites to "new tab" page would be great 😉

104. mahara says:

@Zkal:

>>> If you mean that the popup menu fonts are bad, they've been bad for me even with IE8 so that proves nothing.

Good point. You've already mentioned that it's BAD yourself, it's just you don't seem to be bothered at all by its badness.

Personally, it's BAD for me as well AND I'm BOTHERED.

Why am I bothered? I won't be bothered if this blurriness wouldn't cause eyestrain (fatique) to my eyes after using IE9. Unfortunately, it does. And eyestrain is a PAIN. And it's just doesn't make any sense anymore when I feel PAINFUL just because reading text in IE9. Do you think it's necessary to get a painful experience after using IE9, especially reading this blurry text? Shouldn't reading text in IE9 be a painless experience? Now, where's the FUN?

105. 8675309 says:

dont we allready have that option for the menu bar in ie7/8?

106. asdf says:

chrome space minimization is a useless metric to optimize for.

107. FairLook says:

IE team and IE fanboys are so delusional. Nobody mentions the wasted space that IE offers on the top that other browsers don't.

Also people.mozilla.com/…/ie9_vs_fx4.png

108. FairLook says:

Oh and why not get the latest FF4 beta in your screenshots vs using a latest IE9 and a older version of FF4 beta. You will see FF4 has tabs right on the top now, like opera image.

Likewise how about putting tabs on a separate row to make it a fair comparison since otherwise IE9 is neither giving a full tab space nor a full address bar. But then IE team will argue majority of the users don't have more than 4-5 tabs, then they should also realize majority of these users also don't care about the difference in 55px and 61px or even 80px. It's really sad to see an "engineering" blog for IE coming down to what marketing people do.

109. LookFair says:

to make a fair comparison FF4 must move the tabs outside of the title bar for pixel counts

also nobody mentions the wasted GPU cycles or memory leaks  FF offers

… herp a derp a derp

110. Jason Scott says:

I like internet explorer 9 rc however i'm finding it slow when going into websites and it crashes and freezes plus i'm not liking the new tabs feature and would prefer a better design! I'm also finding it very annoying that some websites require that you use compatabilitie view and would recommend a change to this as to where every website works and is compatable and beileve that if this can be done then internet explore 9 will be truly be amazing. Another suggestion is that I.E 9 offers and saves all passwords thus making ease of access into websites without having to remember your passwords yourself.

111. j says:

I didn't realize Windows 7 had gotten rid of the menu bar.  Glad I'm still using XP.  I suppose I will keep doing so until Microsoft brings it back.  Even Mac has a menu bar.  Its an annoying one menu bar always on top and controlled by whatever application you have open (I hate that).  But at least they have one.  Windows 7 has no menu bar?  Why not just turn your computer into a brick?  No thanks.  Windows 8 better have a menu bar.

112. Blurrr says:

How odd that there are so many comments suddenly about font rendering. For the people who find this an issue, why was this only noticed now with the RC, I don't remember comments about this for the Beta. IE team, I wonder if you could explain whether something changed from Beta to RC that could have caused this reaction?

I like the font rendering, but I know some people genuinely have issues with (most or even all) font smoothing. I do agree with the comments that most people don't know how to "Adjust ClearType text" and would not think to look for that option if they don't like the font smoothing.

113. Blurrr says:

@Soum

Great idea, that's a very elegant solution and something I would love too.

114. Joe says:

The font issue has been going on ever since the first beta releases and platform previews.  It's nothing new.  There are tons of bugs already reported on the issue from months and months ago in connect with multiple people reporting the same problem (with little to no comments from  the developers).  I think most people like me, were hoping that this had been fixed in the RC, but it has not.

115. SiSL says:

Thanks for Paste & Go option from KEYBOARD, lets add it to Context menu on Address Bar :)

116. SiSL says:

@Joe

Font issue is only misleading title, since there is no Font issue if you actually played with "Clear Type settings" from your control panel of Windows to match real perfection depending on your monitor. Since most users use it by "default", fonts might look like they are buggy…

117. Jared says:

I wish the dedicated tab row is above, but that would be a problem on Tablet PC's. I really wish in the future IE9 could have an option for that or could detect if the PC it's running on can do touch.

118. Jared says:

What I mean by "above" is the dedicated tab row to be at the title bar.

119. Taciturne says:

Oracle/Java have released version 6 update 24, which no longer crashes (my) Internet Explorer 9 RC

120. Joe says:

Sigh…Not to be rude, but how many times does it need to be said that adjusting cleartype is not the answer.  I have cleartype turned off.  I don't intend to turn it on.  I have tried adjusting it for kicks, and it still did not help the issue.  Text in every single other application is fine – except IE9.  Cleartype off is perfect for my screen and my eyes.  If all other applications (including other hardware accelerated browsers), can render proper looking text according to my current settings, then obviously it's an IE9 problem.  It's easy to say there's "no issue" when you think you don't experience it, but there are plenty of others that are experiencing it, and there definitely IS an issue.

121. Xepol says:

Thanks for bringing up the "one box" horse-pucky.

Frankly, I hate it and read my lips here – IT DOES NOT WORK CORRECTLY. FULL STOP.

You type something in the box, and then press enter – you do NOT grab your mouse and wander it around the screen to click on a tiny freaking icon.

So what happens?  That depends!  Sometimes the system guesses correctly that its a URL and goes there, sometimes it guesses correctly that its a search term and searches.  The rest of the time, it does the exact opposite of whatever it was you wanted to happen.

In otherworse, you have created a feature that RANDOMLY DOES NOT WORK.  Congratulations – you have copied one of the worse features from Chrome and removed one of the major reasons to not pick Chrome over IE. Slaps to the back of the head all around.  Everyone say "D'oh!"

Please, just put the search box back in the top left corner.  It always worked exactly like you expected, and it did not burn any significant screen space.

If you don't, I will have one less reasson to not use Chrome – frankly there are not a lot left.  Updating IE is a huge, STUPID pain just because someone made a hideously misguided political decission instead of a technical one.  IE's release cycle is pedanditic at best.  About all that's keeping me with IE at this point would be the right click accelerator, and perhaps the favorites bar (tho its been screwed up in the lastest version too). I have not yet see a good Chrome replacement for how the accelerator works, but when I do – all bets will be off because IE will not have enough advantages to make it work sticking around for the slow release cycle.

122. Mr. Q says:

Great changes, congrats to the IE team!

Now if only add-ons would be supported in Pinned Sites mode (Ed Bott also raised this point)!

While all other browser beef up add-on capabilities, IE completely disables them under Pinned Sites. Please, at least provide an option to turn on add-ons for a specific pinned site (like multiple home pages can be set).

123. uhmmm says:

It very sad that there are still people, who will claim that ClearType tunning will solve font issues and that we have simply wrong configured PC. So many retarded people on one place, this cannot be coincidence, this must be simply good old Microsoft as we know it from past :) Broken IE9 fonts cannot be fixed with ClearType tunning. You can make them darker by adjusting contrast, but this will not solve jaggyness, blurrynes and overall bad look…

124. hAl says:

@uhmmm

Your 'font issue' examples showed IE9 rendering without compatibility button and thus already in compatibility or in quirks mode.

Those page are not rendered using the new hardware based IE9 subpixel rendering but are rendered in accordance with the IE8 or IE7 engine.

So it is getting more unclear what you are complaining about as it seems unrelated to the newly introduced IE9 font rendering

125. Zkal says:

@Maximilian Haru Raditya. If you had read, you would have noticed that it has been issue with me even with IE8. Not sure what NeoWin does but those popup menus have always had bad fonts that have irritated my eyes. Otherwise I see no blurriness effect that people claim IE9 has compared to IE8. Can I say there is no issue? No of course not, there are issues. As someone earlier said, it's just totally dependent on how computer is configured. Will some people still see blurry fonts even after they change settings? Probably. Hopefully MS can work and make the fonts work for everyone.

126. Confirmation Please says:

Can we get confirmation please from the IE Team that "ClearType" will be turned off in IE9 RTM by default (OR) that it will be massively improved so that those that turned it on in Windows (e.g. keep their user setting please!) get the same quality experience they do in all other applications they use.

I agree with all commenters above that the rendering in IE9 is horrendous (worse than IE8) and that it is not a matter of "tuning" it.

127. antony says:

Well don't make public fool. as a time we all know poll of IE9. IE 6, 7, 8, and now  Booby IE9. well i like it if their are customization available. different different type of plugins available. but what you maked prehaprs i hear about IE 9 developer tool. are that enough for development. i thing you make all software as a developer never want to use themselves as user not developer. if you use them then you find what is missing. first thing is that IE9 have no addons or plugins for common user who use IE9 more [because developer know who make IE9 if not by using know much thing about IE]. what they can use in IE without anything like plugin addons. yeah they can see performance performance performance who still blink in the ads. so for user their is still nothing. as a developer what is new for developer you still says IE9 developer tool have impovement. if it;s joke  joke was nice. because the thing is pity that a thing developer tool can do all thing developer wants. if you are developer how much time you can use IE9 developer tool never because their is no good thing in IE9 developer tool even everyone on MSDN says blah blah blah.

so their is nothing for developer or user both. still have a nothing changes in IE yeah performance use IE9 and eat the performance because they come from sky not use CPU. i never believes that comment can not removed by maintainer who maintain this website but i believe if even they have a little mind and sense of humor they can know what i want to tell. well i like the concept of other Firefox and Chrome who still in the line to make developement and user experience better and never tell with stupidy like somebody here says IE9 have three new panel or tab and this thing can do by this small ways. if Mozilla or chromium team want to show the pity thing like this they can make a new youtube who only show these type of video.

well as a comment i never can stop my feelling as well as you see in comment.

128. Hans Henrik Krohn says:

The "Less frame, more site content" isn't true for me on my laptop. When running the browsers maximized on the 1440 x 900 screen,  I see Google Chrome taking something like 61 pixels at the top, but IE9 RC taking I believe 69 pixels?

129. uhmm says:

hAl@ What is your problem with my compatibility button? What are you constantly talking about? IE9 is buggy crapware. I had in IE8 hiden compatitibility button and after installation of IE9 it is still hidden, albeit you cannot display this button back again, what is bug like a hell, submited also to MS.

Anyway, displayed or hidden compatibility view button on toolbar has nothing to do with broken font rendering, so please stop posting that crap over and over…

130. Robert Morris says:

Of course IE is going to take up less vertical space if you hide the tab bar and compare it to browsers that don't or that put it on its own row so they're actually big enough to be usable.

131. cesar says:

border radius is not working in fieldset with legend. IE9 rendered a square border.  Other browsers render an rouded border on fieldset ok.

If microsoft claims that they implement css3 border  radius it need to work with all elements, including an fieldset with an legend.

Some sites will render beauty on other browsers but will render ugly in IE9 because of this failure.

Please fix this until RTM.

132. joshuatee says:

are we having clear-type-trolls?

133. cool_scientist says:

Suggestion: add a quick access toolbar to IE9 ……. Why not add a QAT to the title bar…. http://www.zdnet.co.uk/…/why-ie9-is-too-simple-for-me-10018730

134. Gabriel Kent says:

Inline spell check please.

…and F3 should go to the next result when searching within a page.

Thx!

135. in page search says:

F3 doesn't work :@@@@@

136. CSS3 border radius bad implemented says:

If microsoft claims that they implement css3 border radius it need to work with all elements, including an fieldset with an legend.

Please fix this until RTM.

137. hAl says:

@Gabriel Kent

"RETURN" goes to next result of find

138. Sam says:

Very happy with the release. The blank titlebar is odd and a waste of space. I also crash on every Java applet. Yet I know Java is junk, but IE9 should not crash on them. Also, why don't you add actual thumbnails to the about:tabs page?

Thanks again

139. jun says:

"Of course IE is going to take up less vertical space if you hide the tab bar and compare it to browsers that don't"

Who cares about this vertical space thing anyway?  Someone who is still using 800×600 for their resolution?  Why is THIS something to brag about Microsoft?

140. IE fan says:

I really like the new Bing toolbar, especially the Facebook integration. However, the toolbar doesn't appear when I open a Web page from the taskbar. Is this a problem with the Bing toolbar or IE9 in general?

141. marybranscombe says:

@jum – anyone on a netbook screen cares

does anyone else find the contrast between current and other tabs actually seems less obvious in RC? that and the hair trigger on closing unactive tabs is what I;d like changed the most – and next being a clearer UX for tracking protection.

142. Rob^_^ says:

View>Toolbars>Menu bar is only visible/accessible if the Menu bar is enabled!

There is no equivalent option in the Toolbars context menu as there is in IE8. DAF users will still be confused and post questions like "Where is the menu bar"?

Are the two command bar "Manage Addons" buttons to be retained as an Easter Egg?

143. Medinoc says:

One thing that always bothered me is the unhelpfulness of the "allow blocked content?" question in the information bar.

Regular people don't understand how a simple HTML page (or worse, raw XML file) can have more rights when it's on C: than when it's on http://.

Why is there no "Do as if it were still on the web" option? Most things opened on the actual IE (rather than using an embedded WebBrowser control somewhere) would probably "benefit" from being always executed in the Internet zone, regardless of their real location…

144. IE9 boy says:

If you guys really listen to our feedback then why on earth did you not listen to us when we requested simple things like an inline spellchecker and password manager?

Must we waitanother year for IE10 to remedy this?

145. J P says:

I have an issue with Feeds.  When I go to Feeds for the first time after opening IE9, then the mouse stutters and I can't move it for a few seconds, then it seems to smooth out.  Perhaps this is related to Windows Live Mesh?  I use Windows Live Mesh to sync favorites, and this might be causing the problem…just a guess.  Is anyone else having this problem?

Also, the UI is still a little slower than other browsers (opening tabs is much improved over ie8, but in some cases there is still a noticable lag.  I was hoping it would be immediate.)

Otherwise, I am loving it!  Keep up the good work!

146. tuxplorer says:

IE team read this: blog.sherifmansour.com You are listening only to average users, learning only from telemetry and refining by removing stuff: Now it's too late for RTM to reinstate removed features and IE10 will never bring them back which means search box, progress bar, functional status bar, tab list, page title, large icons will NEVER return to Internet Explorer as optional features. Which means advanced users who preferred the more powerful and customizable GUI will NEVER return back to using IE.

147. Daniel Krebs says:

If you really listening to the users and the Connect feedback.

1. Please let the users choose to have the home, favorites and settings button on the left side. It is really painful to move the mouse from the left to right everytime I need to open my extensive list of favorites (I'm using screens from 1680 to 1920 pixel).

2. Please remove the inconsistent jump of the favorites center from right to left when pinned.

3. Please bring back the look of the tabs from the Beta version. The new tab look&feel does not match of the rest of the browser.

Thank you.

148. antony says:

IE team work and sleep and in sleep they thing experince in firefox and thing and fell that they found in IE but actually they can not tell really true about their dream because everything they have from MS. well why they talking about real experience who never found in IE even in Firefox and in chrome because they give him money. so everyone thing for their family first otherwise who not know IE. why we talking today we talk later when IE come with their RTM maybe something they add in better way. i am not telling wrong but when you use both product day and night.

149. kareem says:

Need to think about some stuffs that were mentioned here but thanks for posting :)

150. Roland says:

Regarding the design of the tabs: I think you should make the active tab more stand out by making it 1-3 pixels taller (higher) than the other tabs. The tab control from the common controls (comctl32) always gave the active tab more emphasis by making it a bit taller than the non-active tabs. While I like the new tab design in the RC in general (and prefer it over the beta design), it feels a bit unnatural for me that the active tab just has a different color than the other tabs, but the dimensions are the same.

151. Stefan says:

Text with font "DejaVu Sans Mono" is not displayed (empty space). "DejaVu Sans´" works.

SVG Implementation failure: upload.wikimedia.org/…/SVG-Grundelemente.svg

152. zzz says:

I've menioned the text rendering issues as compared to IE8 before so for a different question this time:

Can I pin a FOLDER OF FAVORITES to TASK BAR, so that when I click one ICON on the TASKBAR, it opens ALL THE FAVORITES IN THAT FOLDER?

It seems to me this "multiple home pages" + pin to task bar is NON-SENSE, if it doesn't allow several sets of sites to be pinned to be opened from single click!

Since I'm not only interested in Shopping, I'm also interested in Other Things, and each of the other things involve 20+ tabs which need to open with one click. However I may not be interested in Shopping or Other Thing #3 on a particular day so I do not want to open those tabs that day.

I hope it came Loud and Clear what I'm asking about.

153. zzz says:

Major complaint #2 (#1 is text rendering):

When I typed 192.168.x.x to open my router web page but did not remember the number correctly, IE 9 RC DECIDED TO SEARCH 192.168.x.x and INSTANTLY OPEN 3rd PARTY UNKNOWN WEB PAGE!

WOW WTF!!!!!! BIGGEST FAIL AFTER TEXT RENDERING! That site could've had 0 hour exploit your algorithms didn't yet catch!

I must be able to ensure the browser doesn't go to sites unless I specifically see the COMPLETE URL (need large address bar + large status bar always visible) first to establish trust  based on whether I've been to particular site before or have read about it. BROWSER CAN NEVER KNOW WHAT I KNOW – SO I NEED FULL ADDRESS BEFORE YOU OPEN SITES!

154. zzz says:

I don't think I was quite 100% clear about the Pinned Tabs:

I must have :

1st Pinned Taskbar Icon which Opens tabs related to Subject #1

2nd Pinned Taskbar Icon which Opens tabs related to Subject #2

etc

155. Cavalary says:

Most of it is nice, but the x to close inactive tabs is quite frustrating! If you want to close an inactive tab, just middle-click it, it's easy! But now I keep accidentally closing tabs instead of switching to them. Remember doing it 3 times in the first hour after installing the RC. Now I still do it once or twice per day, and slows me down a little when I try to avoid it, needing to make sure I don't click the right end of a tab, which is just where I'm inclined to click if my mouse was to the right of it previously…

156. zzz says:

SiSL: Are you trying to say that ClearType is the issue when all the app already using CT look just fine and the problem is only with apps that use Sub-pixel positioning through DirectWrite/WPF? I'm not against SPP and it's probably good to have as default *during testing*.

My knowledge of regular & casual users tells me that few will even be able to consciously pinpoint the issue after MS eventually pushes IE9 as forced upgrade years down the line and fixing this type of thing post-RTM will never happen and even if it did, it would not be made the new default or would be some hard to discover option somewhere when it really should be automatic that when the display doesn't expose itself as a high-DPI display it should default to IE8 style rendering atleast below say 18 pixel font size.

It's sort of comparable to the "loudness war" in music that many just feel that pop music has got "worse" which is really subjective and hard to quantify. Only well engineered comparisons will light the the average music listeners bulb that indeed music has got technically worse in quality : the dynamic range of the sounds is lower making everything sound like a wall of sound, more tiring to ears especially if you have to focus on the music (like focusing on trying to read small fonts). In similar manner this SPP rendering on <300 DPI displays is tiring to the eyes but only few alert, detail oriented people can immediately sense it strongly enough to complain. It doesn't stop there though, in many cases certain letters like I,l,c,t etc have tendency to have easily visible artifacts since the current implementation isn't smart enough to tell when all the conditions occur where the end result is going to look completely off, resulting eg. two colored stripes where there used to be one black line and two colored stripes. How can "l" with no black in it look like black? ClearType works , ClearType + SubPixelPositioning on < 300 DPI? It will never work without a ton of special casing to avoid the problem scenarios since the colored stripes without the primary color in mix will be physically large enough for eye to try and resolve resulting in fuzzy look or off-color look.

157. zzz says:

AndyC: That's the theory. In practise you can't take and reproduce the correct look where the output devices really are different, however with the examples of IE9 and WPF rendering floating around, the point is that if you zoom the example up, you would see just what the person complaining is seeing without zooming it up. When CT works the user can just see some black sharp text, when it fails, user starts to see what sub colors it is made off (assuming good vision, otherwise it just looks fuzzy, off-color).

So when there's example of bad rendering, zoom it up, then in your mind zoom it back down and you'll see how bad it looks.

Possibly similar test: Take screenshot of IE8 and IE9 rendering at same font size, zoom it say 5x and then walk away until it looks like 1x. Does IE9 look as good or better in majority of cases as IE8? If the source shot was done with currently mass market displays at standard settings the result should reflect that IE9 will in few cases look better but in many cases look worse than IE8 and yet many more cases look broken.

With this test you are only comparing what is being rendered & how eyes perceive it and not the display technology.

158. Marvin says:

http://www.GE.com does not work with IE9 when selecting an appliance window. It does work with the older explorer and fire fox.

159. Pim says:

Google Chrome solved the problem of winning space for 100%.. And now IE9 is trying to get credits for winning an additional 10 pixels.

Thats not innovation, but trying to optimize the hard work of another company!

160. Andrew says:

The inactive tab is harder to read now, unless i do mouse hover

active tab is not so stand out from other tab

password manager is a must !

161. matthew says:

I like the option to put tabs on separate rows, so I can fit them more, but why is not possible to put the Links bar next to the address bar. I do not need long address bar, so I could put my links bar where tabs are default, and put tabs on separate row. That way, I will not loose my links and will save space, because no aditional rows will be displayed. Now if I want links and tabs to be visible, I have to show both of them on separate rows. Hopefuly you understand what is my point and if its not too late, please implement this. Except that, IE9 is simply great, I was allways using IE and will continue. Good work !!!

PS: if somebody required the same thing before me, I do apologise, but I was too lazy to read all comments.

162. matthew says:

By Links bar I mean Favorites bar, I didn't notice it was renamed

163. Saman says:

IE9 seems to have a connection problem ! sometimes some images on facebook are not loaded and i have to press the refresh button or press Enter on the address bar to load them …. i don't have this issue with firefox ….

as an example of bad text rendering, i can't count the number of Ls here:  llllll

because the letters are kindof blended with each other … here is a screenshot: [IMG]i52.tinypic.com/15mg58z.png[/IMG]

i don't have this problem in microsoft word or other programs . . .

tinypic itself seems to have a problem with IE9RC ! : [IMG]i56.tinypic.com/2gvuiid.png[/IMG]

164. Oliver Gubsoin says:

I love the new look – makes it alot easier to navigate around the layout….The tabs are key to this working well! Make them colour coded. http://www.vitaloximeters.com

165. Saman says:

using my mouse wheel i can't smoothly scroll this page:

en.wikipedia.org/…/Antioxidant

i don't have this issue with firefox 3.6 . . . .

166. Sridhar Kuppalli says:

Its good to see your efforts in making IE9 as a wonderful browser. But you should also think of making IE6 non existent. IE6 not only hangs machines, its one bad browser which is created by some lazy crap guys. It provides very bad user experience, developers all over the world are struggling to make their code work on IE6. You guys don't believe in standards.

167. CPU 100% says:

IE9 uses 6 times more memory than firefox !! 413MB for 4 open tabs while firefox uses only 70MB ….

CPU goes to 100% on http://www.imdb.com when displaying the top banner as of feb 25, 2011 . . . it might be a flash problem though . ..

168. Hans Henrik Krohn says:

In reponse to my own observation dated "17 Feb 2011 7:40 AM" above, where I wrote

"The "Less frame, more site content" isn't true for me on my laptop"

I have found out why that was so: That user was set to have a screen zoom of 125 % in the Control Panel (KontrolpanelUdseende og personlige indstillingerSkærm). Why that makes a difference between IE9 and Google Chrome I cannot figure out, however!

169. Text Selection says:

hi

i Can't highlight/select text here: http://www.eng.unimelb.edu.au/admissions

please fix it …